• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Switch launches September 22 in the Americas and Europe

kingbean

I swear the hub world looks like its 540p on handheld mode or something. It looks so trash compared to the combat portion. Idk, maybe I'm crazy.

Maybe someone can make a judgement with a screenshot?

someone posted these from gamefaqs(handheld mode):

dXoqapk.jpg

eSvWp13.jpg

DzDouOV.jpg

5zg6kGv.jpg

vs ps4 version
maxresdefault.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
I think those are the overall textures and shading being on a low setting or something. Was watching a stream earlier and when moving around the hub it looked just like that.

Although gameplay still looked fast paced and fun so it's not that noticeable.

Ahahaha oh man, that looks fucking horrendous.

I wonder if this port was originally planned for the Vita before Namco quickly threw it onto Switch instead.

Was it not supposed to be 720p portable? Maybe it features dynamic resolution.

Also, why is it so dark? Is there a brightness setting? It looked just fine in trailers and earlier screenshots.

Edit: Looks brighter in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUxIipZTZ_Y

Doesn't look too bad actually when you guys quote it..

BTW, how do you guys make those images smaller and have it expanded when you click on them like that? I'd like to edit my message to do that.

Also, why is it so dark? Is there a brightness setting? It looked just fine in trailers and earlier screenshots.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the lighting too much.

edit: Someone did a head to head version of ps4 and switch. Immediate difference is resolution and framerate.. And I guess shading? Looks pretty similar outside of resolution and framerate(framerate dips to 30fps when there's more than two characters apparently.. and apparently its only 60fps in 1vs1 multi?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEMYUGwPf8

tribal24

Banned
Did they try chaging the brightness ingame? Ps4 had that same issue were the color were muted. Once you changed the brightness it goes back to original colors.

Zomba13

The darkness could be that weird filter like what was in the console versions of XV1 (dunno if it was in the console versions of XV2 or if it was a toggle or a setting).

Tailzo

Ok, that looked really bad. I just hope it looks better docked. I would feel bad giving this game as a present if it's always this bad :(

Ok, that looked really bad. I just hope it looks better docked. I would feel bad giving this game as a present if it's always this bad :(

to be fair, those images blown up aren't as big as the Switch screen, so of course it will look worse.

Other than that, docked version is 900p and 30fps in most modes.. Who knows what handheld mode really is. Could be an adaptive resolution.

Protome

I wouldn't worry about lighting/colours in those screenshots. On PS4 XV2 defaults to a brightness setting that washes out all the Colours for some reason and you need to change it to get it to look good. I'm guessing Switch is the same.

framerate(framerate dips to 30fps when there's more than two characters apparently.. and apparently its only 60fps in 1vs1 multi?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEMYUGwPf8
Yeah, this was confirmed a while ago. It's a bummer given that 1v1s are a very tiny portion of the game.

Are people really saying it looks horrendous based on the colour gamut (which in the comparison video is more washed out on PS4?

If you look at the two like-for-like screenshots the Switch version is a pretty close match. Resolution is obviously lower since it's handheld mode, but the main differences extend to antialiasing and depth of field:

DzDouOV.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

RootCause

The color seems to be the issue in those pics. Graphically it looks on par. I just hope we're able to make it brighter. It was horrible on the first game. :(

I think it's DLC you get by default with the digital version, when I redeemed my code from amazon there were some text blocks about how I had access to some other stuff too, although Google Translate wasn't really clear about what it was. You can see what DLC you bought on the eShop if it's for sale but I can't find a way to list all DLC owned.

Can you post some screenshots with increased brightness? :)

Tailzo

Are people really saying it looks horrendous based on the colour gamut (which in the comparison video is more washed out on PS4?

If you look at the two like-for-like screenshots the Switch version is a pretty close match. Resolution is obviously lower since it's handheld mode, but the main differences extend to antialiasing and depth of field:

DzDouOV.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

No, the overworld screens above looked like a pixelated mess to me.

Looks exactly as I expected, sadly. a low res xenoverse.

The cell shading style in xenoverse just doesn't work well at low resolutions, even when I supersample on my pc it still has it's iffy moments.

If I remember right the default settings in xenoverse 2 are terrible and you have to adjust them, not sure if they 'fixed' it or everyone just changed it themselves.

Revven

I remember when Xenoverse 2 came out for the PS4 and everyone was freaking out about the colours.

Yeah, people need to chill about the lighting. The default brightness setting is what makes it look all muted and washed out; if you set it to max it will look exactly like it does on PS4 as far as the colors go.

HyperHip

All characters out the gate means i'm basically in, and based off that review vid it sounds like matchmaking is actually solid.

ryushe

Wait it's 1080 docked?

I could've sworn I read it was 900p.

Edit:
Damn, that video made me super hyped to play XV2 again. I'm even tempted to get it from the Japanese eShop now than wait for my Amazon copy in two weeks.

Anyone knows how Bandai Namco look at sales data? If downloading it from the Japanese eShop takes away the sale it would've gotten if I waited two weeks, I'll just wait.

Gotta pass this test. I want FighterZ on the Switch after all.

ryushe

Vita port strikes again. Having a Switch, I wish developers would put more effort into these ports.
Huh?

Minus not having 60fps in anything that isn't 1v1 (which could arguably be huge depending on the person), this is Xenoverse 2 in its entirety. But now on the go. That alone would be worth the price of admission, imo. And that's before considering that it's actually a good port.

Anyone willing to record the XV1 "Legend Patrols" missions on Switch (in docked mode and proper/max brightness)? Curious to see how that stacks up against the PS360 versions of XV1 for instance.

Top Bottom