• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

I'm too hyped for this game I returned to Hyper DBZ and it's as good as ever. The aerial shit you can do with Gohan in this game is so much fun.

I really hope I can get into the beta. I've never been hyped for a game this much since FFXV.

Slaythe

I mean, some costumes would be a bitch to make obviously.

But at the same point in time, remove the kanji on Goku and that's one costume... Close Trunks' jacket and give him a scarf, change colors and poof, another costume... Remove a belt, change boots, remove a shirt... Add some line on tights and change colors...

It's not like DB has drastically different costumes. You're never getting anything that changes hitbox like Piccolo's cape, but the rest ?

The problematic costumes are gonna be Great Saiyaman, 17's Super outfit, and any of 18's outfit.

I mean, some costumes would be a bitch to make obviously.

But at the same point in time, remove the kanji on Goku and that's one costume... Close Trunks' jacket and give him a scarf, change colors and poof, another costume... Remove a belt, change boots, remove a shirt... Add some line on tights and change colors...

It's not like DB has drastically different costumes. You're never getting anything that changes hitbox like Piccolo's cape, but the rest ?

The problematic costumes are gonna be Great Saiyaman, 17's Super outfit, and any of 18's outfit.

They have to manually adjust the lighting on every frame of animation, so any changes could cause discrepancies and look odd. The Goku one would be simple, but something that minor probably isn't worth it. I wouldn't expect any alternate costumes period.

Pompadour

They have to manually adjust the lighting on every frame of animation, so any changes could cause discrepancies and look odd. The Goku one would be simple, but something that minor probably isn't worth it. I wouldn't expect any alternate costumes period.

Yeah, that's why I think SSJ3 is only seen as part of a super and not its own transformation. All that hair means they'd have to relight every frame again.

Golden Freiza is a transformation because his basic shape remains the same.

Balfour

I would be satisfied with SSB being an alternate costume. but with Goku's SS3 special, it wouldn't make sense.

That special also makes it hard for it to be an install because we don't wanna see Goku go from SSB to SS3. Unless while in Blue they just remove the animation of him transforming at all

Anth0ny

Finished my Future Trunks Anime/FighterZ comparison video

Future Trunks is a bit of a mixed bag imo when it comes to animations. Some of them are spot on, some of them are lazy, and some are better than the show itself.

I've believed for years that episode 120 is the single greatest episode of Dragon Ball ever... so the animators for this game had a lot to live up. Trunks' intro animation is a bit boring and disappointing compared to his awesome SSJ transformation in the show.

But the crazy hands blast is basically perfect and looks awesome in the game.

The level 3 also looks fantastic. Show had a bad animation day for that episode (where Trunks kills Cell), so the game looks waaaaaay better.

Should be getting those Piccolo and Krillin trailers any day now...

Slaythe

The characters are not finished. They don't do them one by one.

So they probably made those 9 to have them playable as soon as possible.

Goku and Vegeta are extremely sloppy too.

Hopefully they have time to polish everyone up like Gohan and not feel pressured to have a ton of characters at the cost of quality. They can make DLC later on for that :D .

mas8705

The characters are not finished. They don't do them one by one.

So they probably made those 9 to have them playable as soon as possible.

Goku and Vegeta are extremely sloppy too.

Hopefully they have time to polish everyone up like Gohan and not feel pressured to have a ton of characters at the cost of quality. They can make DLC later on for that :D .

Reading that part got me to thinking actually. Considering that we are taking Super into account with Golden Frieza, I wonder if we might see a case where both men can go Blue for a limited time too. At least in the sense of Goku, you could argue that instead of going SSJ3 for his level 3, you can make it where he goes Kaioken while Blue to do his attack that could be so devastating that it could almost kill any character if the attack lands (but then the drawback would be that Goku would have to revert to SSJ afterwards).

I'd like to think that this closed beta with the nine characters is definitely to get people to get their hands on this game while also enabling them to provide the feedback to get this game ironed out and tweaked, much like how ASW (or any company for that matter) does with their other fighting games: Let people go all out with the new character before it comes out.

As for trailers for Piccolo or Krillin, I sadly won't be shocked if they do combine the two together (or at least Krillin's trailer gets combined with someone else if they think Piccolo can stand on his own). Definitely feels like we are a stone's throw away if registration starts in two days.

maks

Yeah, that's why I think SSJ3 is only seen as part of a super and not its own transformation. All that hair means they'd have to relight every frame again.

Golden Freiza is a transformation because his basic shape remains the same.

I wonder which transformations will be in the game besides GF.

Oh damn good point. My hope of a swole Roshi transformation like Golden Frieza is probably out the window. The hit/hurt boxes would change a bit as well.

patchday

I wonder if there will be any female fighters. There's not too many notable ones in DBZ. I really only know of Satan's daughter. I heard DBGT or something had a girl Saiyan but ive never seen her

Seesaw15

I wonder if there will be any female fighters. There's not too many notable ones in DBZ. I really only know of Satan's daughter. I heard DBGT or something had a girl Saiyan but ive never seen her

Android 18 and Videl are pretty sure things. Maybe Bulma and Chichi.

Some examples to refresh your mind... (including OG DB, GT and Super since it's possible for this game)

168bfcbf318391fefa01b02174e94584.gif
Videl
Caulifla
Kale
Future Mai
Launch
Pan (GT)

You could make a case for Chichi/Milk (be it kid or adult), Bulma, present Mai's mecha, that girl from the Bojack movie, and the ton of other female fighters introduced in Super's Tournament of Power :p but no more gifs for this post or I'd probably annoy people

JackelZXA

I'm going to bet characters will need to be able to fly, vanish, charge ki, and do a boost dash to make it in, or some equivalent. 18 is likely the only lady to make it in with a MAYBE on Pan. (Dunno if we'll get Tournament of Power characters yet)

kirblar

As an outsider to DBZ, Kale is the character I'd want to put in the game out of that list, after 18, for gameplay purposes, since a gigantic hulk-type's completely missing at this point. (I know she's a Broly reference, but he's got like a billion forms he can use, right?)

I don't see Kale getting in before Broly, and if Broly's in, there's no reason to have Kale since shes literally just a female clone of Broly.

If Caulifla ends up doing something that differentiates her from an ordinary fighter in DB, I wouldn't mind seeing her in but she hasn't done anything unique yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Some examples to refresh your mind... (including OG DB, GT and Super since it's possible for this game)

Videl

Caulifla

Kale

Future Mai

Launch

Pan (GT)

You could make a case for Chichi/Milk (be it kid or adult), Bulma, present Mai's mecha, that girl from the Bojack movie, and the ton of other female fighters introduced in Super's Tournament of Power :p but no more gifs for this post or I'd probably annoy people

Launch?

Isnt it Lunch, since all their names are food related?

Fj0823

I don't see Kale getting in before Broly, and if Broly's in, there's no reason to have Kale since shes literally just a female clone of Broly.

If Caulifla ends up doing something that differentiates her from an ordinary fighter in DB, I wouldn't mind seeing her in but she hasn't done anything unique yet.

False. We know
she will have a form beyond Broly's

kale_super_saiyan_form__dragon_ball_super__ssj_by_originalsupersaiyan-db8xv8g.png

They can easily add both but Kale will probably be DLC

DrDogg

Mr Satan better be the Dan of this game.

If by that you mean SF4 Dan where he was a tournament-viable character. I want Mr. Satan, but he needs to be more than a joke character. I need to beat people with Mr. Satan, Krillin and Bulma.

That'd be funny lol

And since you mentioned Chichi previous to your edit, apparently the game Super Dragon Ball Z has her a playable character, and she got the Bansho Fan, the Power Pole, and the Flying Nimbus. That's a creative way to have a OG DB moveset without having to use Kid Goku!

Super DBZ was probably the best DBZ fighting game to date, from a tournament standpoint. It even had a Japanese arcade release. Makes me want to find my PS2 and play that game again.

Yes.

It's already July 26th in New Zealand, can we have the beta now? :p

I don't think we're getting the beta until August. Sign-ups tomorrow, but the beta probably won't be live for another couple weeks or so. I'd love to be wrong though.

I use to think that way but I think both broly and kale can coexist without stepping on each other's shoes.

Top Bottom