• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 2 [MGS4] playable on original PS3 Firmware (again)

with this custom patch trophys are unsupported and dont unlock ?

would be neat if they were able to get the Standalone MGO relase that came out in Asia working and Intergrated with everything else

that way we would be able to keep the data separate

NoFoX

with this custom patch trophys are unsupported and dont unlock ?

would be neat if they were able to get the Standalone MGO relase that came out in Asia working and Intergrated with everything else

that way we would be able to keep the data separate

There're no trophies for MGO2, but for MGS4.
Standalone MGO was Japan only and it works, but you can only play with JPN people (at first, they're working on the regionlock).

Is this playable on a stock PS3 yet?

April

April I believe?

Yes

yes i mean the trophies - they wont work right ?

right yes it was japan

but So far its just the EU and NA copys working or even AU ?

NoFoX

yes i mean the trophies - they wont work right ?

right yes it was japan

but So far its just the EU and NA copys working or even AU ?

Trophies wont work because there are no trophies for MGO2.

Any copy will work, even the standalone JPN.
But if you play on OFW PS3, you're region locked, means:
EU plays with EU, NA with NA, JPN with JPN.
But they're looking into a fix, so every version on OFW is region free too.

On CFW you're region free, menas:
Everyone plays with everyone.

Dunk#7

I had an old MGO buddy message me on the PSN a few days ago regarding this.

Very excited to finally play again

First online game I ever became obsessed with. I was top 15 in GP in the US at one point. Mainly associated with the clan Toy Soldiers. Survival and Tournaments were great. I even bought the JPN version and woke up before college classes to play tournaments on the JPN server as Team America haha

I recorded many games and put them on YouTube

I hope it gets enough attention to draw a good amount of people.

Any chance PS4 controller will work with MGO2?

Foxxsoxx

I had a old MGO buddy message me on the PSN a few days ago regarding this.

Very excited to finally play again

First online game I ever became obsessed with. I was top 15 in GP in the US at one point. Mainly associated with the clan Toy Soldiers. Survival and Tournaments were great. I even bought the JPN version and woke up before college classes to play tournaments on the JPN server as Team America haha

I recorded many games and put them on YouTube

I hope it gets enough attention to draw a good amount of people.

Any chance PS4 controller will work with MGO2?

I remember Toy Soldiers!

Sigh I miss that game so much, I'll never forget my character Boxhound. Loved how in depth everything was, games a decade later still don't have the features MGO2 had.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Can't wait for some Ambush Alley Sneaking or Blood Bath Knives Only
2017 really is the best year of this gen

"but if you have the 1.36 update for JP MGS4 or JP MGO, then please contact us.
The game is still region-locked but we will be looking into methods to bypass the lock."

i take it somone had it ?

regardless yes i know theres no Trophies for MGO2 what im asking is after adding the dummy update in can i still unlock trophies in the main MGS4 game or are they absent/ gone if i have already unlocked a few can i unlock the rest after applying this fix ? im guessing maybe not but its what im asking

-Deimos

Will OFW and CFW players still be able to play together?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
regardless yes i know theres no Trophies for MGO2 what im asking is after adding the dummy update in can i still unlock trophies in the main MGS4 game or are they absent/ gone if i have already unlocked a few can i unlock the rest after applying this fix ? im guessing maybe not but its what im asking

The trophy file will be on your profile/PSN account. But NO you won't be able to unlock if you apply this update because the information isn't part of the game data for this update/app version.

NoFoX

"but if you have the 1.36 update for JP MGS4 or JP MGO, then please contact us.
The game is still region-locked but we will be looking into methods to bypass the lock."

i take it somone had it ?

AFAIK someone had it, yes.

No, because there're no MGS4 files on the USB stick, only MGO2.
You'll boot from XBM directly to MGO2.
+ what "TheSeks" said.

Will OFW and CFW players still be able to play together?

Yes

Where do you think the biggest player Pool will emerge from ?

with that said i might be better off ether getting a US copy or R3 copy( standalone ?) PAL copys are locked to EU by default and i still want to be able to plat the game

Demoskinos

Huh. Going to sub this thread. I need to check back in on this at some point especially if we can do this with official firmware.

Foxxsoxx

If enough people play this I might actually repurchase a PS3...

Too many memories.

Blows my mind how ahead of it's time this game was in a lot of ways. Such a shame about the horrible netcode.

NoFoX

Where do you think the biggest player Pool will emerge from ?

with that said i might be better off ether getting a US copy or R3 copy( standalone ?) PAL copys are locked to EU by default and i still want to be able to plat the game

NA > EU > JP
If you've a CFW PS3, it doens't matter which MGS4 version do you have. On CFW it's regionfree, but the standalone MGO version and anniversary edition won't work either way.

If you'll play on a OFW PS3, it does matter, because it is regionlocked.

If enough people play this I might actually repurchase a PS3...

Too many memories.

Blows my mind how ahead of it's time this game was in a lot of ways. Such a shame about the horrible netcode.

83ef0bd41b0f24b8c58bd9ab88336045_posted-by-roy1-on-feb-6-starsky-and-hutch-do-it-meme_300-299.gif

what possible work around could they have for making this region Free on the official farmware ?

no Plans for making standalone work ?

i think this was covered before but i could have a PAL copy installed on the Max update out there

and a region Spoofed US install separate ?

or then again that wont even Work ? because the region locking nature of MGS4 is the online game relies on its hardware .........

-Deimos

NA > EU > JP
If you've a CFW PS3, it doens't matter which MGS4 version do you have. On CFW it's regionfree, but the standalone MGO version and anniversary edition won't work either way.

83ef0bd41b0f24b8c58bd9ab88336045_posted-by-roy1-on-feb-6-starsky-and-hutch-do-it-meme_300-299.gif
How does that work? CFW users just see more matches in the browser?

NA > EU > JP

The original disc release of MGS4 is the only one that works then, yeah?

finley83

Banned
IIRC original release and the legacy collection will work properly.
The 25th anniversary won't work because of the trophy and MGO patch is already on the disc.

Legacy collection is also pre-patched with trophy support so it seems that only original copies will work?

NoFoX

Original Message from GHz Gangster:
In case you didn't get the hint... MGO2 1.36 for OFW is back June 12th. CFW coming out ASAP.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/savemgo/status/867984077609082880[/tweet]

aember

Got to join the beta testing group for this, been playing for nearly a month on OFW. Absolutely fantastic experience, well worth the wait! :)

Nvzman

There were over 500 online yesterday, cant believe how many people were waiting for this after 5 years.
I never even got to play MGO2, watching YouTube videos of it since 2013 was such blue balls. Now it's playable and you don't even need to mod your PS3! It's fantastic.

I never even got to play MGO2, watching YouTube videos of it since 2013 was such blue balls. Now it's playable and you don't even need to mod your PS3! It's fantastic.

Gotta be tough for you, the learning curve is killer. But stick through it man, this game will live on.

The site mentions a future tutorial for OFW while keeping your data, so I may wait for that. I think I want to get the standalone disc before, anyway.

Top Bottom