• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with actually good beginnings

For many reasons, the beginning of a game is usually the most restrictive and least fun part of the whole experience. This could be because the game has to spend time slowly introducing the player to new mechanics, or because the game is more concerned with establishing context and story before letting the player loose, or many other reasons. Notorious examples of these sorts of games include most 3D Zelda games, the Assassin's Creed games, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Dishonored 1, and Kingdom Hearts 2.

However, some games are fun from the very first moment you get control of the character. Games like Doom 2016 and Breath of the Wild treat the first hour like a vertical slice, giving the player a good taste of the gameplay loop and what makes the particular game interesting and fun.

Mafia 3 is an interesting case in that the beginning is practically the best part of the whole game, due to the speed at which it delivers story beats and cinematic moments. It's after the first two hours when the narrative bits starting coming much less frequently that the game begins to crumble under the weight of it's monotonous gameplay loop.

What are some more examples of games that absolutely NAIL the beginning?

Bioshock Infinite
Super Mario Galaxy
Bayonetta
Okami
Ocarina of Time
Contrary to popular opinion, Kingdom Hearts II

FelipeMGM

I really like GTA V beginning. Starts with an action sequence teaching basic mechanics and after that prologue it puts you right there in its living world. I was amazed by how incredible Los Santos looked and felt from the go

Seriously no Demon's Souls mention?

giphy.gif

God of War 3

Agreed, better than the rest of the game.

GSR

Ace Attorney 3 and 4 have super-solid opening cases, though both admittedly work better if you've already played a game or two in the series.

God of War series
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 5
Uncharted 2 & 3
Shadow of Colossus
The Last of Us
The Last Guardian

And yes I agree with Kingdom Hearts 2, but only if you're playing it for the first time. Can drag on in mulitple playthrough. Still love Roxas though.

Mogwai

MGSV has two good beginnings, Ground Zeroes and the MGSV Prologue
With all the justified criticism against MGSV, the prologue is jaw dropping nonetheless. I recently replayed it and I had same feelings as first time: "Holy shit, THAT'S how you open a game!"

I was shocked with how Breath of the Wild sort of just... began. Most Zelda games take ages to get going, so it was a really pleasant surprise.

SpokkX

Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Doom (2016)
Zelda: Breath of the wild
Bloodborne
Souls games generally have short/replayable intros with lots of core gameplay

All great and highly replayable because of the almost immediate gameplay

Bad examples

Zelda: twilight
Zelda: skyward
The Last of us/uncharted 4 (yes, the intros are cool the FIRST time but are not replayable because of scripting/cutscenes)

FFIX has a pretty fantastic start. Definitely feels like an adventure.

Perhaps a weird response, but I think pokemon gens 1/2/3 have really nice starts, too. Nice little introduction, throws you in to the world, gives you a mon and sets you free. Always enjoy starting one of those games.

Silent Hill 1 through 4 all have really solid beginnings. They all start off rather unique from each other but all very intriguing.

silva1991

It always makes me laugh when people don't know how popular the KH2 opening is amongst KH fans.

There's a reason why Roxas is one of most popular character in the series.

I dunno how popular it is, but I personally LOVE it. maybe it dragged a little, but I still loved it.

"Looks like my summer vacation is... over"

:(

Acorn

I think modern warfare has a decent start. It was unheard of mostly to have the player put in the shoes of someone being executed. Also being killed in a fucking nuke is nuts, ofcourse cod had overused this now but it was brilliant at the time.

Super Metroid is the right answer.

As for a more recent game, the first hours of BotW have been such a relief compared to the last entries beginnings.

I actually really like Gabriel Knight 1 and Longest Journey's openings. They're really slow paced but they do a really good job introducing you to the characters and getting to know them for stuff starts going down.

Also Prey 2017's opening is really good too.

Zukkoyaki

Final Fantasy VII

I stand by the opinion that those first 5-8ish hours of the game before leaving Midgar are the best part of the game and one of the best sections in the entire series. Amazing setting, cool characters, great villians, fun boss battles, humor and a sense of mystery.

Toxi

Banned
Central Yharnam arguably has the best level design in Bloodborne (Though it has stiff competition).

insin

Neo Member
Rez, you immediately start doing what you're going to do for the rest of the game and every sound is good-feels feedback, everything is in time, everything has a different sound which adds to the music and the way Buggie Running Beeps builds up layer by layer as the controller pulses in your hand (the PS2 controllers vibration was a beast), it's all just pure brain-smack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBatgS4D5Q

Choose life. Choose Rez.

Top Bottom