• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with actually good beginnings

HorseFD

I love games that just throw you into the action off the bat, so for that reason I love the start of Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

My favourite all time start-of-game is Chrono Trigger. It just makes me happy every time I play it. I love that you can wander around the world map right at the very beginning.

McNum

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Rules of Nature! So you walk around the corner and fight Metal Gear Ray. On foot. With a sword. Welcome to Metal Gear Rising. It's like that. Now, split it wide open!

Doom (2016)
Rip and tear until it is done! And then you do. No long intro, no stupid story (which our hero disdainfully throws away any attempt at), there's just you, the demons, and a gun. 10 seconds into the game and you're shooting things. 5-ish minutes and you have the shotgun. Doom follows and doesn't let up until you're through.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Here's your iPad. And some rubbish clothes. There's a stick. Maybe talk to that old man, maybe not. Now get lost. Do whatever, I don't care. Go. Shoo. And then you are left to wander the Great Plateau until you get the things and the glider, silently teaching you all the basics you need to complete the game.

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
This thread is making me realize all my favorite games have slow, narrative based prologues and beginnings. Except for Doom 16.

Nottle

I figure most games open better than they end.
Bioshock is a great example.

Most Metal Gear games open strong.

Accoun

- Quake
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl
- Gothic
- Sleeping Dogs (if only for the atmosphere)
- Call Of Duty 2 (probably. Don't remember that well)

MGS2 - It has a boss battle and tons of special interactive moments.

Halo 2 - A bomb-rigged station full of marines fighting new flying enemies in space.

Majora's Mask - You will learn the new mechanics or die trying. Makes you appreciate Young Link form.

eso76

Games like Doom 2016 and Breath of the Wild treat the first hour like a vertical slice, giving the player a good taste of the gameplay loop and what makes the particular game interesting and fun.

Had no idea. The first hour is all the doom 2016 I could play before motion sickness (something I had never suffered from, before) set in and still havent really felt compelled to try again, several months later.
Did nothing for me. This at least tells me I didn't miss something I would have enjoyed. Probably just not for me.

I really like a lot of the FF openings. FFVII, FFIX and FFX are up there for me.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance for the soundtrack hitting. Bayonetta for the OTT campness which just nails the themes and tone the game is gonna follow. Furi for the soundtrack and nice tutorial boss. Metal Gear Solid 2 for that atmosphere and lead-up. Saints Row 3 for everything.

Had no idea. The first hour is all the doom 2016 I could play before motion sickness (something I had never suffered from, before) set in and still havent really felt compelled to try again, several months later.
Did nothing for me. This at least tells me I didn't miss something I would have enjoyed. Probably just not for me.
Completely right. If you're not enjoying Doom 2016 in the first hour, you're not going to enjoy it at hour 10 either. At least this way, you were able to try it, realize that it wasn't for you, and then move on to another game that you actually do enjoy.

Kneefoil

Bioshock Infinite
Super Mario Galaxy
Bayonetta
Okami
Ocarina of Time
Contrary to popular opinion, Kingdom Hearts II
Okami, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy can all pretty interesting the first time through, but replay those games, and they are all slow. SMG has the worst opening of any Mario game in that regard.

Edit: Actually Sunshine's might be even worse because of the unskippable cutscenes.

Resident Evil 4 is the GOAT. After the opening cutscene you immediately have your weapon and full control. Walk into the creepy cabin and fight your first enemy. Pretty easy? Alright, here are a few enemies at a time to deal with. Got it? Sweet, here a giant village with hordes of enemies, including an instant-death chainsaw motherfucker, that requires competent crowd control, movement, and situational awareness to survive. Managed to get through all that? BAM, title card. You ain't seen nothin' yet. Buckle up.

okabekah

Neo Member
Forza Horizon 2

It may just be a racing game, but I swear that starting video is one of the best atmosphere establishing set pieces I have experienced. It makes you want to race, and then guess what? You get to race! Beautiful graphics and tight simcade handling included. Going to try and play some FH2 tonight.

Child of Light

A number of people were put off by this game's need to rhyme everything, but it reminded me of my childhood and how my imagination would think of grand adventures when listening to poems or stories. It's such a nice gem - still surprising that it came from Ubisoft but I'll take any exceptions to the rule. The storybook aesthetic is kickass and I will back that up to anyone who thinks otherwise.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The sense of mystery, wonder and open endedness to this game is astounding. Picking up the pieces of Link's fragmented past and gaining the knowledge/equipment you need to beat Calamity Ganon has been one of my favourite adventures so far.

NYR94

Resident Evil 4 is the GOAT. After the opening cutscene you immediately have your weapon and full control. Walk into the creepy cabin and fight your first enemy. Pretty easy? Alright, here are a few enemies at a time to deal withh. Got it? Sweet, here a giant village with hordes of enemies, including an instant-death chainsaw motherfucker, that requires competent crowd control, movement, and situational awareness to survive. Managed to get through all that? BAM, title card. You ain't seen nothin' yet. Buckle up.

That intro really is amazing. Talk about starting off with a bang, and then topping it with the test of the game which is incredible. Did re4 have a demo? Seems like that opening is perfect for a demo.

Broken Sword (Paris, a cafe, a killer clown, an explosion and the aftermath. The works.)
Fahrenheit
DmC
Silent Hill
The Last of Us
Uncharted 3
Final Fantasy VII
Yakuza 3 (a controversial pick, but I stand by it. Relaxing Yakuza is a nice change of pace.)
Grand Theft Auto V

Crazyorloco

GTA games and Goldeneye/perfect dark felt great right away.

I was shocked with how Breath of the Wild sort of just... began. Most Zelda games take ages to get going, so it was a really pleasant surprise.

Yeah that has a great beginning...one of my favorites.

Twilight princess is tedious at first.

Lynx_7

MGSV has two good beginnings, Ground Zeroes and the MGSV Prologue

Ah, good to see other people who liked The Phantom Pain's intro. I'd argue that game by itself had two good intros: the opening prologue and your first real mission in the open world.

Accoun

I figure most games open better than they end.

This is not a coincidence. A lot of people don't even finish the games and of course most play at least the beginning. AFAIK usually (or at least often) they are created last, when the team is experienced with the game's style.

SRG01

As much as I hate to admit it, Mass Effect: Andromeda has a pretty effective opening that doesn't feel like a tutorial stage.

fahrenheit-indigo-prophecy-screen-1.jpg

MGS2-metal-gear-solid-2-2346827-500-350.jpg

Assassin's Creed IV just for finally breaking away from the horrifically slow openings that had gotten completely out of hand. Edward's boat sinks, there's a very short cutscene of some of his backstory, you chase a guy and take his clothes. You hide in some bushes, you sail a boat, and within 30 minutes you're wearing Assassin clothes and ready to run around a city. A goddamn record for that series.

Meowster

Unpopular opinion but I love the beginning of VIII (opening aside) and the way it organically lets you learn about the world and your role in the game. There isn't MUCH to explore but the game gives you a lot of freedom with what you have.

Sheroking

Don't think I agree. It's way too long - there's like fifteen minutes of scripted stuff before you even get to the first meaningful interactive bit, the first boss fight.

It's pretty amazing in VR, because it sets the mood and all the little details are incredible.

Outside of VR, it is a bit slow. Particularly in a replay.

Top Bottom