• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins: Game of Power Gamescom Trailer (In-Game)

Great showing by AC Origins at Gamescom, everything's been great. But as it is an AC game, can't get too much excited, will probably wait for reviews before buying. The setting is cool as hell though

SJRB

Gold Member
I hate to use the word, but that trailer was epic as hell.

Wow.

Also - when the singing started for a moment I genuinely thought Jesper Kyd was back...

ISee

I like it, I'm even thinking about buying it. I still expect this to play like any other AC game, but I like the settings a lot.

I got two questions though:
- Is there a modern world part?
- If yes, is it something stupid like the "game developer meta critique stuff in Unity" or the "It's a console" bs in syndicate? Or something "cool" like in AC 1?

UrbanRats

I like it, I'm even thinking about buying it. I still expect this to play like any other AC game, but I like the settings a lot.

I got two questions though:
- Is there a modern world part?
- If yes, is it something stupid like the "game developer meta critique stuff in Unity" or the "It's a console" bs in syndicate? Or something "cool" like in AC 1?

Nobody knows what it entails, but there is a modern world component.

ISee

Nobody knows what it entails, but there is a modern world component.

That's already a step up from syndicate, I guess. Thank you.
I think I'll have to check out a Let's play (just 15-20 minutes, or so) to find out what it is, before buying.

sertopico

They surely know how to create hype. A well done trailer I must say. As a lover of that period I'll fall into their trap, but as I wrote elsewhere, I didn't like some of the gameplay sections that have been showcased. Better wait for the whole picture.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's very obviously Rome at the 25-second mark. I wonder if it'll be in the base game after all or a DLC setting as per one of the pre-announcement rumours, or even both, with the game ending in Rome and DLC continuing the story -- a sort of AssCreed 2 -> Brotherhood situation.

Edit: D'oh, never mind.

dex3108

That's very obviously Rome at the 25-second mark. I wonder if it'll be in the base game or a DLC setting as per one of the pre-announcement rumours (or both, with the game ending in Rome and DLC continuing the story).

That is not Rome, that is Cyrene.

But Origins Art Director is currently in Greece (or it was last week) so Egypt, Greece, Rome thing is possible.

Theorry

That's very obviously Rome at the 25-second mark. I wonder if it'll be in the base game after all or a DLC setting as per one of the pre-announcement rumours, or even both, with the game ending in Rome and DLC continuing the story -- a sort of AssCreed 2 -> Brotherhood situation.

Its Cyrene. :)

FlawedAdventurousGiantschnauzer.gif

Lime

A well-cut trailer and the lighting and visual presentation have really been stepped up, at least in the cutscenes.

I wish Aya had been the main character though :(

UrbanRats

That Philip Glass-style music is insanely cool.
Is it original from the game? If so, i'm gonna have to get the soundtrack.

EDIT: And yeah, as i said in the other thread, the rumor back in the day was that it was going to be another trilogy (with Bayek/Aya as main characters i assume) set in Egypt, Greece and Rome.
Would be fantastic, if so.

I know a lot of people don't want to go back in Rome after Brotherhood, but i think the time period is distant enough where it would actually make a big difference.

SliChillax

Am I imagining things or does this game look worse than Unity graphically? Even Syndicate wasn't as good as Unity. Why all the steps back?

sertopico

Am I imagining things or does this game look worse than Unity graphically? Even Syndicate wasn't as good as Unity. Why all the steps back?

Actually I think they went back to some of the effects Unity introduced, also improving them, and that were removed in Syndicate. I don't know if GI ("pre baked" GI) is still there but at least characters' quality is much better, at least in cutscenes where they use more complex models and effects, like in Unity.

Unity has some incredible lighting that hardly any other game can match up to even today origins included . It appears the team started this after black flag and had a completely isolated dev cycle where they took nothing from unity or syndicate, for better or worse.
That said imo the art and world more than make up for it. I dont believe wed have this scale of the world with unity tier graphics.

JaseC

EDIT: And yeah, as i said in the other thread, the rumor back in the day was that it was going to be another trilogy (with Bayek/Aya as main characters i assume) set in Egypt, Greece and Rome.
Would be fantastic, if so.

The Season Pass being $40 and the game having no MP component has me a little hopeful that the Greece + Rome expansions rumour will pan out. I mean, I still very much doubt Ubi was that heavily inspired by The Witcher 3, however the possibility isn't as quite as outlandish as it first seemed.

Harlequin

From what I've read, there are two reasons for that:

1. Because current consoles couldn't handle Unity's graphics. Unity was Ubisoft's first PS4/Xbone AC game and they simply overestimated how powerful the consoles were going to be which is part of why the game had such huge technical issues at launch.

2. Because they went back to a dynamic day/night cycle after Unity. Unity had baked lighting which looks way better but is also static so it cannot be used with dynamic time of day changes. (Baked lighting also takes up a lot of disc space which could potentially become a problem with a world as large as Origins'.)

SliChillax

Unity has some incredible lighting that hardly any other game can match up to even today origins included . It appears the team started this after black flag and had a completely isolated dev cycle where they took nothing from unity or syndicate, for better or worse.
That said imo the art and world more than make up for it. I dont believe wed have this scale of the world with unity tier graphics.

It's not just lighting but it has more realistic faces as well. What you say does makes sense though.

Theorry

From what I've read, there are two reasons for that:

1. Because current consoles couldn't handle Unity's graphics. Unity was Ubisoft's first PS4/Xbone AC game and they simply overestimated how powerful the consoles were going to be which is part of why the game had such huge technical issues at launch.

2. Because they went back to a dynamic day/night cycle after Unity. Unity had baked lighting which looks way better but is also static so it cannot be used with dynamic time of day changes. (Baked lighting also takes up a lot of disc space which could potentially become a problem with a world as large as Origins'.)

Jup this. And the world is huge compared to Unity and a big draw distance. Something that was lacking also quite abit in Unity.

ISee

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Unity certainly looks very good up front, but any thing in the distance looked aweful and the LOD was terrible. There was also no dynamic weather and the time stand still (sun didn't move) and was only able to progress after a loading screen (or after cut scenes).
That was all improved in Syndicate. The LOD is a lot better and building no longer look like cardboard cutouts and the time of day is now dynamic.
The LOD seems to be further improved in origins, mostly because they need to show wide, open landscapes. but they had to tune down the lighting because of it, at least a bit (I guess it has to be dynamic now...). An understandable trade off, because handling a landscape the way the handled background buildings in Unity and going for 100% prebaked lighting data and no dynamic change of time and weather wouldn't be wise for a game like origins.

UrbanRats

The Season Pass being $40 and the game having no MP component has me a little hopeful that the Greece + Rome expansions rumour will pan out. I mean, I still very much doubt Ubi was that heavily inspired by The Witcher 3, however the possibility isn't as quite as outlandish as it first seemed.

Oh you're thinking expansions? I was thinking just subsequent games (much like Brohood and Revelations were, to AC2).
But yeah, i can see both of them being part of a large Season Pass, which is a bit disappointing, as it means they'll end up being smaller affairs, though considering some of the bloat in AC games, it could work out to trim that shit out.

SliChillax

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Unity certainly looks very good up front, but any thing in the distance looked aweful and the LOD was terrible. There was also no dynamic weather and the time stand still (sun didn't move) and was only able to progress after a loading screen (or after cut scenes).
That was all improved in Syndicate. The LOD is a lot better and building no longer look like cardboard cutouts and the time of day is now dynamic.
The LOD seems to be further improved in origins, mostly because they need to show wide, open landscapes. but they had to tune down the lighting because of it, at least a bit (I guess it has to be dynamic now...). An understandable trade off, because handling a landscape the way the handled background buildings in Unity and going for 100% prebaked lighting data and no dynamic change of time and weather wouldn't be wise for a game like origins.

Yeah I should have mentioned that Unity only looked better in closed environments and up close character shots.

JaseC

Oh you're thinking expansions? I was thinking just subsequent games (much like Brohood and Revelations were, to AC2).
But yeah, i can see both of them being part of a large Season Pass, which is a bit disappointing, as it means they'll end up being smaller affairs, though considering some of the bloat in AC games, it could work out to trim that shit out.

Well, I'm not discounting the possibility of an AssCreed 2esque trilogy, but, yeah, one rumour mentioned a trilogy and a later rumour "clarified" the locations will be used for expansions:

4chan via Reddit said:
Reddit said:

I just think the Season Pass being as pricey as it is lends a teeny-weeny bit of credence to the latter.

UrbanRats

Well, I'm not discounting the possibility of an AssCreed 2esque trilogy, but, yeah, one rumour mentioned a trilogy and a later rumour "clarified" the locations will be used for expansions:

I just think the Season Pass being as pricey as it is lends a teeny-weeny bit of credence to the latter.

Interesting, did not remember the second rumor.
I hope it turns out to be true, and they can produce a decently sized map of both places.

Top Bottom