• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joykilling Culture Of 'AAA' Games (The Jimquisition)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
We Happy Few has slowly transformed since it first arrived on Early Access, but its latest metamorphosis was sudden and jarring - it's a "AAA" game now.

Gearbox acquiring the title, and the effect it's had on the game, demonstrate that "AAA" is not so much about the funds or the studio, but about the culture.

Now take your Joy, and appreciate that I'm Undertale canon.

Bonus Content: Fuck Konami News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0OOurtOj8

Machina

Banned
Of course the first thing Gearbox do is double the price and throw in the arbitrary pre-order DLC and season pass

Xater

Yeah it's shitty, but the whole time watching this I though: Whonactually still cares about this game? I thought most interest deflated once it was clear what kind of game it really is.

I thought that Gearbox was a "mid-tier" publisher, but in Europe they're charging €69.99 for the console versions....

What the hell is causing this price point? Sony is the only AAA publisher that regularly charges only €59.99 for their retail games on PSN, and that is also the price point for Steam AAA games. Retail copies of these same games are always at €55-60 on console.

When you can get Horizon Zero Dawn, an extremely graphically good looking AAA open world game, for €59.99 at launch on PSN, there is no reason any publisher can give to charge €69.99 also on PSN.

What the hell is causing this price point? Sony is the only AAA publisher that regularly charges only €59.99 for their retail games on PSN, and that is also the price point for Steam AAA games. Retail copies of these same games are always at €55-60 on console.

When you can get Horizon Zero Dawn, an extremely graphically good looking AAA open world game, for €59.99 at launch on PSN, there is no reason any publisher can give to charge €69.99 also on PSN.

Consider that Sony takes a cut of sales on every PSN game by a third-party publisher. So Sony probably makes about as much money with their games at €49 as third parties make at €59

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Damn, "Low-Rent Mysterio" is one of the better insults I've heard for Randy Pitchford.

Consider that Sony takes a cut of sales on every PSN game by a third-party publisher. So Sony probably makes about as much money with their games at €49 as third parties make at €59

Microsoft and Nintendo also charge €69.99 for their first party games. It's pretty much a Sony-only thing right now.

I just wonder why Steam, which takes the same cut as PSN, is €10 cheaper every time.

Yeah it's shitty, but the whole time watching this I though: Whonactually still cares about this game? I thought most interest deflated once it was clear what kind of game it really is.

I started as a procedural generated survival game, but they decided to add a story because the way it was originally marketed made it seem like a Bioshock clone. Now, they have been making the survival options optional and are working hard on expanding the story mode, which what a lot of people would really care about anyway. The main issue that I have in addition to the price hike, it the season pass.

That's everyone. Gearbox ain't special.

OH come on don't act like Gearbox isn't the epitome of what's wrong with AAA dev right now.

I feel bad for the game's devs, but they signed the contract so whatever. Pretty sure this doesn't do a thing but harm the game for the price hike.

Microsoft and Nintendo also charge €69.99 for their first party games. It's pretty much a Sony-only thing right now.

I just wonder why Steam, which takes the same cut as PSN, is €10 cheaper every time.

Nintendo don't need to make their games cheaper. The installed base on their platforms are mainly interested in Nintendo game, so they will pay up. (As evidenced by the fact that they bought their unusually overpriced hardware in the first place. Their excellent games are worth the premium to fans.) Customers on PC are not locked into Steam the way that customers on consoles are locked into the platform holders' stores. If Valve goes asking for as high a cut as Sony and Nintendo, someone else will come along and ask for much smaller cut, giving lower prices. Valve needs to take a lower cut to compete with other storefronts. As for the reason for the discrepancy between Sony and MS, I'm not sure. I think maybe Sony is more interested in building new IP, where lower price points help draw in new customers, while Microsoft is content to milk their already popular IP until they go out of the hardware business with a whimper.

Gator86

I started as a procedural generated survival game, but they decided to add a story because the way it was originally marketed made it seem like a Bioshock clone. Now, they have been making the survival options optional and are working hard on expanding the story mode, which what a lot of people would really care about anyway. The main issue that I have in addition to the price hike, it the season pass.

The main issue seems less generic AAA gripes and more that the devs completed misrepresented their product when they were actually making something incredibly mundane in an astoundingly crowded genre.

Stranya

The main issue seems less generic AAA gripes and more that the devs completed misrepresented their product when they were actually making something incredibly mundane in an astoundingly crowded genre.
I honestly thought this was a Bioshock type deal, from the initial marketing/reveals. Maybe my fault, but seems I'm not alone.

Who cares about the price. The publisher can put whatever price tag on their games that they want. If market is not willing to accept that, fine, and it will drop quickly enough.

Same with season pass. If you are stupid enough to buy into it, then it's your own fucking fault.

Gator86

I honestly thought this was a Bioshock type deal, from the initial marketing/reveals. Maybe my fault, but seems I'm not alone.

Nope, you're not alone. I thought it was a Bioshock-type game as well. Even if people didn't get that vibe, I highly doubt anyone saw that initial media and thought "oh, this is definitely a jank-ass survival game!"

sirap

You're not the only one. Hell, even Giantbomb folks were hyped as fuck for this game when they showed it at Microsoft's console.

-shadow-

I remember liking the trailer, but everything since has looked less and less. Guess this is the final drop to fully make it fall of my radar.

I played the early access and the game was incredibly boring. It showed no promise to me but I do see why the trailer seemed so good. Seems like a great concept but the execution was really lacking for it to be "worth" paying $60 for myself.

You aren't alone by any stretch. I totally lost interest when they announced that it was mainly a survival game with little to no story. They did grossly misrepresent the game during the initial reveal. It seems like they are trying to correct those mistakes but they are pissing more people off in the process. The season pass is the final insult.

MrS

Banned
While he raises some valid points about We Happy Few, which doesn't need to be $60 and doesn't look good value for $60, it's hard for me to take his praise of Hellblade seriously after he gave the game a 1/10 review score. His praise of Hellblade in today's Jimquisition comes across as grovelling and backhanded compliments because he still hasn't issued what I would say is a proper, honest apology.

BBboy20

compulsiongames.com/en/news/138/we-are-coming-to-xbox-one-pc-and-ps4-on-april-13-2018!

I want to keep believing in the game and the team and while us Backers will get all DLC for free, this is still a shady situation.

While he raises some valid points about We Happy Few, which doesn't need to be $60 and doesn't look good value for $60, it's hard for me to take his praise of Hellblade seriously after he gave the game a 1/10 review score. His praise of Hellblade in today's Jimquisition comes across as grovelling and backhanded compliments because he still hasn't issued what I would say is a proper, honest apology.
He made a video talking about that, saying that the 1/10 was solely for the game breaking bug he experienced since he was loving the game otherwise.

MrS

Banned
He made a video talking about that, saying that the 1/10 was solely for the game breaking bug he experienced since he was loving the game otherwise.
He addressed his bullshit review, yeah, but he back pedalled because the game was receiving stellar reviews elsewhere and because he knew his video was a bad look that made him look petty. He didn't apologise to the devs for trying to sabotage their launch.

Mexen

I know what you mean.

Coxy100

Banned

Sorry - why does he have to give an apology? (what for)

good video mostly but Jim rallying multiple times behind Senua felt a bit hollow (even if he is right).

I didn't like WHF. it was a bit blerg

patapuf

The difference is in retail.

A console licencing fee is paid for every disc printed. That's what makes the cost difference between console and PC retail games about 10€.

And those prices are those you see digitally too.

Sony as a first party obviously doesn't have to worry about licensing fees.

MrS

Banned
Sorry - why does he have to give an apology? (what for)
-To the devs for trying to sabotage their launch with an absurd outlier review which he has since tried to distance himself from.
-To his viewership for publishing a bullshit 'revenge' review which was not well thought out and wasn't a fair representation of his time with the game.

He made a non-apology apology in his Hellblade rereview which was actually quite galling.

Regiruler

I hate the fuck konami bit for this episode to be honest. I know his story with covering Konami started by covering their awful PR, but that's a department where they've got substantially better in (hell I think they're starting to go in a little too far, they retweet basically anything positive and I think it'll backfire at some point).

Magwik

Banned
Hate to be off topic
But maybe just maybe Jim's review was genuine and felt the 1/10 justified only to see almost no accounts of the bug anywhere else and admitted he fucked up.

Kinyou

Hate to be off topic
But maybe just maybe Jim's review was genuine and felt the 1/10 justified only to see almost no accounts of the bug anywhere else and admitted he fucked up.
In his video he explains himself that he got angry at the game and was basically lashing out with the score. Later he regretted it because giving the game a 1/10 puts it on the same level as something like "Life of black tiger" which Hellblade simply isn't. I don't know how much he apologized to the devs but it was quite unprofessional and felt especially bad since Hellblade is an indie project. The success of the game was very much dependent on good reviews.

BTA

When that trailer was playing I was incredibly confused because I remembered seeing the game on Kickstarter and that was not what it was. It was surreal to see them present it that way; I know there's going to be a story in the fully released version but that's bizarre to promote as if it's the focus of the game.

Wait what? What is this game suppose to be? I only saw that first trailer with the drug thingy and delusions...

Nabbis

-To the devs for trying to sabotage their launch with an absurd outlier review which he has since tried to distance himself from.
-To his viewership for publishing a bullshit 'revenge' review which was not well thought out and wasn't a fair representation of his time with the game.

He made a non-apology apology in his Hellblade rereview which was actually quite galling.

Since when do consumers have a moral obligation for a product maker, especially if it's on the behalf of a third(fanboy) party?

I mean, you can say he acted like an asshole but he does not owe them shit either way.

Gearbox also thought it was okay to charge full price for a spit-polished Bulletstorm, so this is seems up their street. They're desperate. Desperate? Desperate.

I agree that his initial review was petty (as did he, hence the redo) but I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated in the enthusiast community: reviewers and consumers owe absolutely NOTHING to developers. They are businesses trying to make a profit, not your friends. Yes, even indie darlings like Ninja Theory.

In his video he explains himself that he got angry at the game and was basically lashing out with the score. Later he regretted it because giving the game a 1/10 puts it on the same level as something like "Life of black tiger" which Hellblade simply isn't. I don't know how much he apologized to the devs but it was quite unprofessional and felt especially bad since Hellblade is an indie project. The success of the game was very much dependent on good reviews.

Exactly. TBH with the hellblade review. It was pretty embarrassing and JS should have thought better before publishing it. Maybe contact the devs so they can send him a new save and/or find a way to help him get past it. I know that's not the issue, he did get himself into a game ending bug but a 1/10 was just sloppy.

I watched that video and I normally dont mind Jim but it made my respect/like drop a whole heap.

Gearbox also thought it was okay to charge full price for a spit-polished Bulletstorm, so this is seems up their street. They're desperate. Desperate? Desperate.

yeah didnt buy that either. I have it on one of the prior consoles maybe PS3. Can't even get into it but a rehash for full price. lol

mas8705

I wonder if Gearbox had put the "We Happy Few" developers up against a wall to go full price on a game that has been in the game preview for some time now. I mean, I could understand if the game launched at $30-40, but how do you justify the $60 price tag (and a season pass on top of that)?

Really hope this wasn't a "Deal with the Devil" situation. Last thing we need is to see another Kickstarter go south when it launches.

OH come on don't act like Gearbox isn't the epitome of what's wrong with AAA dev right now.

I feel bad for the game's devs, but they signed the contract so whatever. Pretty sure this doesn't do a thing but harm the game for the price hike.
The game is probably gonna go through extensive changes now that they have funding. Maybe it will now resemble close to the E3 trailer than a simple rogue-like survival game. The game got a bad first impression so the devs really have nothing to lose the more I think about it.

Top Bottom