• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 Reveal Livestream [Over]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it looked great as did my friends I run with. Put over a thousand hours into D1 and it looks like I will put another thousand if not more into DESTINY 2.

Pretty hyped! I am assuming beta date will be revealed at E3. Really can't wait to play this!

Kyne

1. The guns have been altered slightly to improve on what was poor in D1, In vanilla destiny the gunplay was considered the better part of the game.
2. You'd be changing up the whole lore and shafting D1 if every super was new.
3. We haven't seen the raid.

Seriously?

He's trolling.

^

people saying that this is the "same thing as Destiny 1" need to wake the fuck up. Someone please list everything that comes in a sequel and then tell me that all of the bullet points weren't checked off.

As someone who only played the alpha/beta of Destiny I totally forgot how the open world works,can you see random people in the open world and how many people populate it?

I could easily say "Either you hated the shit out of that presentation, or you're a sucker who's still being duped into buying this garbage" based on many of the responses in this thread, and they'd both be bullshit that served no purpose other than to provoke people so how about we just not do that

The difference being that I'm not arguing with people for liking it. If they enjoyed what they saw, great.

Anyone with valid criticism gets piled on for having anything but praise. This is not a Destiny appreciation thread.

I'm not really sure what people were expecting. If you're still playing Destiny today, then you probably want more of the same minus the obvious problems. When people argue that it's 'the same thing,' I can't help but be a bit baffled. Any major changes to the game would have probably turned off a lot of the hardcore destiny players, which are actually a huge part of the entire community. They play Destiny because they like it, if they wanted to play a new game they would have done exactly that - played a new, or different game. I don't understand the kind of changes people wanted or expected. Was the game suddenly suppose to be played entirely in 3rd person? Was it suppose to change into a racing game? Were they suppose to change the art direction? Destiny 1 did a lot of things really well, and what they did well we don't want changed. Why fix what isn't broken? They're addressing some of the biggest issues in Destiny 1 that turned off a lot of people. Sure, you could say that this is what D1 'should have been' but it wasn't, and I'm alright with that. The game truly builds a love/hate relationship, but I don't regret the hundreds of hours I spent in it, in fact seeing it evolve was exciting and I'm proud to have been a part of that. If they're addressing the biggest issues D1 had, that alone makes Destiny 2 one of the most anticipated games for me this year.

Carn82

As someone who only played the alpha/beta of Destiny I totally forgot how the open world works,can you see random people in the open world and how many people populate it?

Yes you see them, and yes, sort of. It isn't really an open world, they're more like connected areas/zones. When you go to a different area you'll load in a new zone with other players.

Two Words

I'm not really sure what people were expecting. If you're still playing Destiny today, then you probably want more of the same minus the obvious problems. When people argue that it's 'the same thing,' I can't help but be a bit baffled. Any major changes to the game would have probably turned off a lot of the hardcore destiny players, which are actually a huge part of the entire community. They play Destiny because they like it, if they wanted to play a new game they would have done exactly that - played a new, or different game. I don't understand the kind of changes people wanted or expected. Was the game suddenly suppose to be played entirely in 3rd person? Was it suppose to change into a racing game? Were they suppose to change the art direction? Destiny 1 did a lot of things really well, and what they did well we don't want changed. Why fix what isn't broken? They're addressing some of the biggest issues in Destiny 1 that turned off a lot of people. Sure, you could say that this is what D1 'should have been' but it wasn't, and I'm alright with that. The game truly builds a love/hate relationship, but I don't regret the hundreds of hours I spent in it, in fact seeing it evolve was exciting and I'm proud to have been a part of that. If they're addressing the biggest issues D1 had, that alone makes Destiny 2 one of the most anticipated games for me this year.

I liked some of the stuff that they showed off, but they really emphasized how much of a sequel this game was gonna feel like with this:

destiny-1.jpg

Keep in mind that they said that they weren't going to even carry over the micro transaction emotive stuff because of how much of a departure Destiny 2 was going to be.

jviggy43

This is where the dichotomy lies. Some people seem to want nothing but fixes to Destiny's problems. Others expected that was a given and expected more substantial additions like new character classes, a new enemy class, more unique weapons.

Siege.exe

The difference being that I'm not arguing with people for liking it. If they enjoyed what they saw, great.

Anyone with valid criticism gets piled on for having anything but praise. This is not a Destiny appreciation thread.

I don't think the "literally nothing new" criticism is valid or worth defending tbh. And it's not as if people haven't been shitting on Destiny for almost 3 years now, it's not all praise all the time

jviggy43

Yeah.

They did this to themselves.

Again.
Over compensating
I don't think the "literally nothing new" criticism is valid or worth defending tbh. And it's not as if people haven't been shitting on Destiny for almost 3 years now, it's not all praise all the time

I like destiny, still play it today. The game has a lot of problems, and the only reason many of us complain about them is because we want the game to realize its own potential.

TheRed

Yeah.

They did this to themselves.

Again.
Yeah the huge 2 feels like compensating. Luke going on stage and pointing it out that yes this is really a sequel and a huge change led to underwhelming feelings when it came to gameplay and didn't look like a huge change.
It can be proven right at release if their really is a wide breadth of content that is very satisfying to make it feel like a worthwhile sequel but what they showed today wasn't very mind-blowing exciting like a not of people hoped.
I'll be getting the game but it feels more like a soft reboot of what Destiny 1 should've been in terms of features and amount of content and then just putting a big 2 on it.

I mean a new Destiny reveal was always going to be ugly. Are we honestly going to try to pretend it wasn't after 3 straight years of people complaining / drive by posting constantly about the game, while even a huge amount of people enjoy it?

Sure not everything about the reveal today was perfect. I wish the graphics were a bit better than they are. I wish we had a new race and a new class. There's more I'd like to see in the game of course.

But if you are a fan of Destiny 1 I don't see how you can't be at least somewhat excited for the sequel given what they've shown. This reveal was always going to be filled with people complaining no matter what Bungie went on stage and showed off.

This is where the dichotomy lies. Some people seem to want nothing but fixes to Destiny's problems. Others expected that was a given and expected more substantial additions like new character classes, a new enemy class, more unique weapons.

New character class is not really expected because of story and lore, but the new abilities for those classes, which changes gameplay seem to have been the route they chose to take. A new enemy class may still be in game, I doubt they would have revealed everything. Not sure on what you mean by new unique weapons. Things that aren't guns, or talking about new special weapons because there is no reason to believe that there "won't" be a new generation of weapons.

Blueblur1

There's a valid argument that at a glance the game is roughly the same as the original. In a world where people expect considerable graphical improvements or slight improvements coupled with gameplay overhauls Destiny 2 isn't impressive to some people. Destiny 2 is launching on hardware D1 launched on and the gameplay is pretty much the same so it's easy for me to see that. At a glance a casual fan will easily mistake D2 gameplay footage as a D1 expansion.

While I like the new planets, other additions and changes Bungie's making I can't but feel a little disappointed. If they're going to be ballsy enough to call it Destiny 2 there should've been more to it than the game simply being more of the original. Yes the game looks slightly better than the original but it doesn't stand out that much in YouTube video on my PC monitor. (Maybe it will at home running in real time on my own TV? Can't tell yet.) And virtually all of the gameplay shown isn't far from the original and it's expansions. Yes, when you boil it down to a list of bullet points the changes and new stuff amount to more than the previous expansions combined but that just means this is could be considered a huge expansion.

Quite frankly, I was expecting big changes. Stuff you would expect in a big sequel like changes to playspace structure (such as jumping from confined zones to an open world map), removing Strikes and replacing them with bigger and better adventures, losing the spam-tier bosses that dominate Strikes, improvement of vehicular gameplay, reinvention of the subclasses, new elemental categories beyond the original 3, etc. That's what I expected when they announced Destiny 2. Now I don't hate what they've shown so far. I can appreciate the QoL improvements, new enemies, and weapon types. I just hope that they have more for us.

And I wouldn't give too much shit to people complaining about architecture. There's all kinds of human architecture today in real life but Destiny 2 seems to carry over the same Vex, Hive and Cabal-style structures from the original. It's a little boring and doesn't help the game stand out. Along with their habit of recycling content during D1's life, the returning architecture styles are probably another reason why they keep emphasizing that these are new planets and zones.

Two Words

New character class is not really expected because of story and lore, but the new abilities for those classes, which changes gameplay seem to have been the route they chose to take. A new enemy class may still be in game, I doubt they would have revealed everything. Not sure on what you mean by new unique weapons. Things that aren't guns, or talking about new special weapons because there is no reason to believe that there "won't" be a new generation of weapons.

A new character class would be perfect for the story in Destiny 2. All of the classes in Destiny have a storied history. Why not make this calamity be the birth of a new Class order in Destiny 2? They could have a new character lead it like how Cayde, Ikora and Zavala lead their factions.

Speely

Banned
I really hope that Destiny players can find a way to enjoy an improved version of the game they already love. Lending you strength, homies.

Siege.exe

Over compensating

I like destiny, still play it today. The game has a lot of problems, and the only reason many of us complain about them is because we want the game to realize its own potential.

Yeah, and that's fine if you feel that way. I don't think shitposting should be able to ride on the coattails of that criticism

molnizzle

There's a valid argument that at a glance the game is roughly the same as the original. In a world where people expect considerable graphical improvements or slight improvements coupled with gameplay overhauls Destiny 2 isn't impressive to some people. Destiny 2 is launching on hardware D1 launched on and the gameplay is pretty much the same so it's easy for me to see that. At a glance a casual fan will easily mistake D2 gameplay footage as a D1 expansion.

While I like the new planets, other additions and changes Bungie's making I can't but feel a little disappointed. If they're going to be ballsy enough to call it Destiny 2 there should've been more to it than the game simply being more of the original. Yes the game looks slightly better than the original but it doesn't stand out that much in YouTube video on my PC monitor. (Maybe it will at home running in real time on my own TV? Can't tell yet.) And virtually all of the gameplay shown isn't far from the original and it's expansions. Yes, when you boil it down to a list of bullet points the changes and new stuff amount to more than the previous expansions combined but that just means this is could be considered a huge expansion.

Quite frankly, I was expecting big changes. Stuff you would expect in a big sequel like changes to playspace structure (such as jumping from confined zones to an open world map), removing Strikes and replacing them with bigger and better adventures, losing the spam-tier bosses that dominate Strikes, improvement of vehicular gameplay, reinvention of the subclasses, new elemental categories beyond the original 3, etc. That's what I expected when they announced Destiny 2. Now I don't hate what they've shown so far. I can appreciate the QoL improvements, new enemies, and weapon types. I just hope that they have more for us.

And I wouldn't give too much shit to people complaining about architecture. There's all kinds of human architecture today in real life but Destiny 2 seems to carry over the same Vex, Hive and Cabal-style structures from the original. It's a little boring and doesn't help the game stand out. Along with their habit of recycling content during D1's life, the returning architecture styles are probably another reason why they keep emphasizing that these are new planets and zones.

Bingo.

jviggy43

Thats a poor excuse, there are so many avenues to go in order to explain a new class. If a new enemy class is in the game fair enough but it isn't as if what they did reveal would be taking the announcement of a new enemy class. Unique weapons as in, this is a sci fi shooter and almost every gun functions like a modern day weapon. Where is the creativity?

Yeah, and that's fine if you feel that way. I don't think shitposting should be able to ride on the coattails of that criticism

Agreed. I think for the most part tho everyone has kept it rather constructive

Jhn

People, me included, were hoping for big, structural changes to the formula, while retaining the solid gunplay. Things that would go back to the stuff we all at some point expected D1 to have. Maybe a seamless open world, flyable ships. Stuff like that.

What we got was essentially a large, stand-alone expansion. Same exact game structure, same types of missions. Which is all cool if all you want is more content for D1, but it's a bit of a bummer if you hoped for something better.

Also, you people need to chill out on calling everyone who disagrees with you trolls.

Two Words

The boss of the strike they showed off indicates that they haven't changed one of Destiny's biggest gameplay problems, slow-plodding bullet sponge bosses.

https://youtu.be/d_PwEJom5YE?t=1104

This footage seriously looks straight out of Destiny 1. It's several minutes of dumping ammo into the boss, and occasionally wiping out some low class enemies.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member

Here is a question for you. Did they show every enemy you were going to face in the game? They also did have new enemies. You had the dog like creatures, you had flame thrower cabal, sword wielding cabal. This was but a taste of the game. They showed one mission. The starting mission. They showed 1 strike. They showed 1 multiplayer mode and map. You're judging the entire game from that. How about waiting until the beta and seeing what it's like? Hell if the beta is anything like Destiny 1 you'll get a good chunk of the game to try. Then you can make real judgements.

There are plenty of things you can dislike about what they showed without jumping to conclusions. You can dislike the weapon slot changes. You can dislike the multiplayer player count changes. You can dislike mechanical changes they made to supers etc. Nobody will fault you for that stuff.

To come in and complain though because it looks like Destiny but with better lighting particles, etc is just odd. To say they've added nothing to it is just wrong. They detailed things they were adding to it. To come in and complain because it's design is in line with the first game is just odd. No other franchise throws out every animation, art asset, sound effect, etc with sequels. No other franchise rewrites the entire engine from scratch for sequels. Yet people are coming in here saying they expect just that. It's insanity.

This was the first gameplay reveal. Bungie has said that they will show more.There is a beta coming. You will see more. If by launch they haven't shown you what you want to see then yea wait for reviews. Wait for streams. Nobody will fault you for that. The level of negativity though is insane right now.

Honestly I think Bungie made a mistake with Destiny 1. They showed it off and talked it up way too early. They pulled a Peter Molyneux with it. They promised more then they could deliver. It looks like they're trying to not repeat that mistake with Destiny 2 and sadly people are shitting on them for not showing more. Here is the thing too. That Destiny they showed before Destiny 1 ever was playable is gone. It's not coming back. Some people need to realize that.

I don't think the game structure being the exact same complaints are valid. At least not with the level of information we have now. There seems to be a lot more to do in the zones from what they were describing and we haven't really seen any footage of how that all plays out.

Also lots of the media have been saying Bungie has been very tight lipped in regards to questions around certain elements of the game, so its entirely possible there is quite a bit of new stuff they are saving still for E3 / Sony stage.

People, me included, were hoping for big, structural changes to the formula, while retaining the solid gunplay. Things that would go back to the stuff we all at some point expected D1 to have. Maybe a seamless open world, flyable ships. Stuff like that.

What we got was essentially a large, stand-alone expansion. Same exact game structure, same types of missions. Which is all cool if all you want is more content for D1, but it's a bit of a bummer if you hoped for something better.

Also, you people need to chill out on calling everyone who disagrees with you trolls.

I'm on the same boat as you

Main story Campain may be for the first week, but the rest will fall into line to what were alrready used to.

molnizzle

I don't think the game structure being the exact same complaints are valid. At least not with the level of information we have now. There seems to be a lot more to do in the zones from what they were describing and we haven't really seen any footage of how that all plays out.

Also lots of the media have been saying Bungie has been very tight lipped in regards to questions around certain elements of the game, so its entirely possible there is quite a bit of new stuff they are saving still for E3 / Sony stage.

They should have showed it then.

I don't believe a goddamn thing Bungie says when they're trying to hype up their game. Been burned way too many times now. If you have the goods then fucking prove it to me.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This might be the most hyperbolic thing said in this thread yet.
In a thread where people are arguing for lofty expectations based on a minuscule amount of information, comparing the game to ps360 d1, and are getting triggered because they can't change the definition of a sequel to fit their agenda I somehow doubt my post is the most hyperbolic. thanks for the laugh though.

This is the first mission of Destiny 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_aj5ROfakM

This is the first mission of Destiny 2.
https://youtu.be/Daey6qGgLKU?t=23m58s

Yeah..... can you spot the differences?

btw The Taken King was Destiny 1.5.

The difference is night and day between the 2 in many aspects

I literally don't see where the complaints this is the same game as the 1st are coming from. Is there a lot of similarities? Sure but its a sequel to a massively popular game.

The opening missions from the two games are two totally different scales in terms of narrative, amount of action on screen, etc.

Mikey Jr.

Fucking +1.

Couodnt have said it better myself.

Two Words

pls pitch me your perfect destiny strike boss.

lol what is this? I can't criticize repetitive bullet sponge bosses without creating the perfect strike boss? This seems strangely defensive. Anyways, I'd prefer the bosses be more mobile and be a greater threat on their own. The bosses in Destiny strikes are rarely a threat outside of Nightfall where they can 1-shot you if the burns are right. Here's a few mechanics they could add.

- A boss with little HP, but able to heal itself if it is not interrupted.

- A boss that can turn invisible and strike from anywhere, like able to climb walls

- A boss that can cage teammates in some way to lock them out. Kinda like the part in fighting Oryx.

- A boss that can make teammates look like adds firing at you, and also enables friendly fire.

- A boss that is more akin to fighting another Guardian. Perhaps this guardian is plagued somehow or is a rogue guardian.

Two Words

The difference is night and day between the 2 in many aspects

I literally don't see where the complaints this is the same game as the 1st are coming from. Is there a lot of similarities? Sure but its a sequel to a massively popular game.

The opening missions from the two games are two totally different scales in terms of narrative, amount of action on screen, etc.

https://youtu.be/d_PwEJom5YE?t=1104

Watch that and see.

And of course a game that is an origins game literally raising you from the dead and starting you off like its "my first shooter" is going to start off different than a game about the peak of your civilization being destroyed in a battle.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I've got a 4k capable PC, but I've already pre-ordered for my Pro. I've read that Deej confirmed checkerboard 4k for pro? Is that legit? Only seen one source and this thread is moving so fast.

jviggy43

Here is a question for you. Did they show every enemy you were going to face in the game? They also did have new enemies. You had the dog like creatures, you had flame thrower cabal, sword wielding cabal. This was but a taste of the game. They showed one mission. The starting mission. They showed 1 strike. They showed 1 multiplayer mode and map. You're judging the entire game from that. How about waiting until the beta and seeing what it's like? Hell if the beta is anything like Destiny 1 you'll get a good chunk of the game to try. Then you can make real judgements.

There are plenty of things you can dislike about what they showed without jumping to conclusions. You can dislike the weapon slot changes. You can dislike the multiplayer player count changes. You can dislike mechanical changes they made to supers etc. Nobody will fault you for that stuff.

To come in and complain though because it looks like Destiny but with better lighting particles, etc is just odd. To say they've added nothing to it is just wrong. They detailed things they were adding to it. To come in and complain because it's design is in line with the first game is just odd. No other franchise throws out every animation, art asset, sound effect, etc with sequels. No other franchise rewrites the entire engine from scratch for sequels. Yet people are coming in here saying they expect just that. It's insanity.

This was the first gameplay reveal. Bungie has said that they will show more.There is a beta coming. You will see more. If by launch they haven't shown you what you want to see then yea wait for reviews. Wait for streams. Nobody will fault you for that. The level of negativity though is insane right now.

Honestly I think Bungie made a mistake with Destiny 1. They showed it off and talked it up way too early. They pulled a Peter Molyneux with it. They promised more then they could deliver. It looks like they're trying to not repeat that mistake with Destiny 2 and sadly people are shitting on them for not showing more. Here is the thing too. That Destiny they showed before Destiny 1 ever was playable is gone. It's not coming back. Some people need to realize that.

Yes they added some new enemies to the old classes-I mentioned a whole new class. And yes I am judging this based off of what I saw and not the final product which is why I'm discussing what we know and not the final product. If you want to throw out the argument that we can't judge this by this reveal then you also can't tell me that there will be more enemies and encounters since we havent seen the whole game yet. Were talking in terms of what they gave us today, thats all. In terms of that, I wasn't impressed and yes I expected a new enemy class.

I never said they had to start over and scrap everything and that would be ridiculous I agree. But I'm not doing that and I'm certainly not talking about a finished product. I'm making comments about what was shown today and my impressions from it. I will be ECSTATIC if my impressions are wrong. I want this game to succeed. I said it earlier and I'll say it again, this could and should be the best game ever and I mean that.

In a thread where people are arguing for lofty expectations based on a minuscule amount of information, comparing the game to ps360 d1, and are getting triggered because they can't change the definition of a sequel to fit their agenda I somehow doubt my post is the most hyperbolic. thanks for the laugh though.

I mean when you follow that post up with this than yes I suppose youre right. I havent seen anyone in here asking for anything close to "a blowjob" from Bungie. Apparently asking for fairly standard sequel features is too much to expect from a Bungie/Activision game in 2017.
lol what is this? I can't criticize repetitive bullet sponge bosses without creating the perfect strike boss? This seems strangely defensive. Anyways, I'd prefer the bosses be more mobile and be a greater threat on their own. The bosses in Destiny strikes are rarely a threat outside of Nightfall where they can 1-shot you if the burns are right. Here's a few mechanics they could add.

- A boss that can turn invisible and strike from anywhere, like able to climb walls

- A boss that can cage teammates in some way to lock them out. Kinda like the part in fighting Oryx.

- A boss that can make teammates look like adds firing at you, and also enables friendly fire.

- A boss that is more akin to fighting another Guardian. Perhaps this guardian is plagued somehow or is a rogue guardian.
These are awesome. Yes please.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I like your ideas, and don't you think you're being a bit defensive? I just asked you to give me an idea of what you'd expect. The strikes, bosses and general enemy bosses from the taken king beyond had mini raid mechanics embedded in them. This strike seemed like a step back in my opinion so it's not like I necessarily disagree with you. I think they just wanted to show of some of the more generic gameplay in this reveal which I don't necessarily agree with either.

Pachinko

Interesting to see people so mad about this apparently ?

I wasn't expecting much because I'm not a huge fan of the original to begin with. All I wanted was 3 player Halo and instead I got some mish mash of diablo and PSO with halo gunplay. Just wasn't my thing.

This looks like a much more solid overall package while not changing THAT much of the core components of the game. Just MORE. Kind of like what happened with Diablo 2 versus Diablo 1 or Borderlands 2 to Borderlands 1.

I'm willing to bet the forthcoming expansion packs will be better planned out as well, a big yearly update for 2018,2019 and 2020 with the likely final chapter of what I'm assuming will be a trilogy showing up in 2021.

With the first game, you could see the seams separating what the game was originally and what it was trying to be. I'm told Taken king substantially fixed quite a bit of those issues but the core of the game was still stuck as a game that was built to run on an Xbox 360 (until last years rise of iron anyway). This looks like they took literally everything that worked and was enjoyed by everyone about the final version of D1 but they glossed it up a bit and added more of a story to the whole affair with brand new varied environments.

I suppose the big thing going forward here is how well the mission structure will hold up. Hopefully the "adventures" they speak of aren't drawn from a pool of 3 or 4 basic "kill X to get Y" auto quests.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped but I've gone from dis-interest to some interest.

Tahnit

Banned
Here is what happened.

Destiny 1 comes out in the format we all know and love and love to hate. Destiny should have been as massive open world game with story and characters and all. Not repeatable activities because they ran out of development time. Except that it proved to be SUPER popular. People seemed to like the repeatable activities. So instead of reinventing the wheel with destiny 2 they added on to the structure of destiny 1 with new features and big QOL stuff. Add in 5 new worlds and more activities to do like treasure hunts and the solo experience seems to be much better.

Also matchmaking for raids is brilliant and guided games seems to be doing it the right way instead of matching with a bunch of randoms. Really excited for this feature as i could never really get a good group together.

They followed what ended up being a very popular game.

Ramirez

Strikes are meant to be completed by everyone without much resistance, make them too mechanic heavy and you get miserable experiences in matchmaking. I mean people struggled with the damn orb strike in TTK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom