• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Wichu

3. Considering how well this game sells/sold, the art is sometimes really....bad.

I liked basically all the new art. The reused sprites from the first game really clash with it though. They really should have redrawn the sprites in the new style.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Seinarukana Steam is actually out. I'm shocked.

That was a bit of a surprise, expected to see a release date announced first - or maybe I just missed it. A positive one though, nice to see it finally out.

While I don't think Seinarukana is as good as Aselia the Eternal, it certainly looks a lot prettier, and I can recommend it as just a good SRPG, as long as you don't take the story too seriously.

Wonder if we'll ever get Spirit of Eternity Sword 3, Xuse has teased it several times but of course most of the original staff doesn't work for them anymore.

Yuuichi

That was a bit of a surprise, expected to see a release date announced first - or maybe I just missed it. A positive one though, nice to see it finally out.

While I don't think Seinarukana is as good as Aselia the Eternal, it certainly looks a lot prettier, and I can recommend it as just a good SRPG, as long as you don't take the story too seriously.

Wonder if we'll ever get Spirit of Eternity Sword 3, Xuse has teased it several times but of course most of the original staff doesn't work for them anymore.

We did, it's called
Kikouyoku Senki Tenkuu no Yumina

XUSE hasn't made good games in years, I'd be shocked if their game that comes out this month end up with a score over 60 on EGS

PhleBuster

Neo Member
We did, it's called
Kikouyoku Senki Tenkuu no Yumina

XUSE hasn't made good games in years, I'd be shocked if their game that comes out this month end up with a score over 60 on EGS

Yeah, even if Spirit of Eternity Sword 3 comes out, I'm skeptical about it actually turning out good. They have the advantage of the original battle system - ETERNAL's games have suffered a bit from trying to reinvent the wheel (especially apparent in Yumina's combat system which is almost unplayable at times - English release was heavily modified to make it a bit more tolerable), but you can clearly tell the creative staff went there, the games they've released are much more interesting than anything that Xuse has put out since the split.

Also yeah that new game (seems to come out today) looks just plain bad.

Still, the only way an official Spirit of Eternity Sword sequel will come out is through Xuse, so one can always hope.

Yuuichi

I'm pretty sure the only good RPG/VN hybrid to come out in the last few years is Evenicle and I hate alicesoft so I'll probably never play it. Watching Eushully implode on itself and then go back to ikusa megami/kamidori clones has been fun though.

Says a lot that I'm thinking about getting the Aselia re-release XUSE did last month that added modern os and touch screen support instead of a new game. It would be my
3rd
copy of the game
4th too if you want to be specific.

Knurek

I'm pretty sure the only good RPG/VN hybrid to come out in the last few years is Evenicle and I hate alicesoft so I'll probably never play it. Watching Eushully implode on itself and then go back to ikusa megami/kamidori clones has been fun though.

Isn't War of the Human Tanks decent?

Yuuichi

Have you played Eiyuu Senki? Also, both Utawarerumono titles are coming out this year.

Forgot about the Utawareumono games, I've heard great things about those. Eiyuu Senki is almost 5 years old so I don't think that counts. [Note: my PoV is based on JP release dates]

KMRiku

Neo Member

They are taking so long that I already gave up on waiting for the Vita release and started the PC version last week.

So far I have done Amane, Yumiko and Michiru routes (in that order). Amane's was definitely my favorite so far, I got legit feels when I read the epilogue ;_;.

Unfortunately, Yumiko and Michiru routes failed to deliver the same emotional impact, but I still thought they were good enough. However Michiru route spoilers:
burying the damn girl alive was legit bullshit and I got surprised how easy Yuuji got off that. In fact, I felt like he was a bigger asshole in this route than in the other two.

Maybe I will write more detailed impressions when I finish the game, but I am struggling to find the motivation to read the other routes cause...I don't really like Sachi and Makina characters (specially Makina's).

They are taking so long that I already gave up on waiting for the Vita release and started the PC version last week.

So far I have done Amane, Yumiko and Michuru routes (in that order). Amane's was definitely my favorite so far, I got legit feels when I read the epilogue ;_;.

Unfortunately, Yumiko and Michuru routes failed to deliver the same emotional impact, but I still thought they were good enough. However Michuru route spoilers:
burying the damn girl alive was legit bullshit and I got surprised how easy Yuuji got off that. In fact, I felt like he was a bigger asshole in this route than in the other two.

Maybe I will write more detailed impressions when I finish the game, but I am struggling to find the motivation to read the other routes cause...I don't really like Sachi and Makina characters (specially Makina's).

Pretty sure the Michiru route was written by another writer. I never cared much (read: at all) for Grisaia beyond Amane's backstory, but I've heard people say that it shows.

PhleBuster

Neo Member
Recent discussion about Xuse and Eternal got me looking into what Eternal's been up to, and all my findings seem to point out to them being dead now. Essentially complete radio silence since spring 2016, and that's too long to brush off. Even their twitter has been silent since, apart from constant promo retweets which make me think it was just turned over to a Will staffer to use as an extra retweet account.

Considering the ratings for Alpha Ride aren't that high, I can wager a guess it was a financial bust as well, so maybe that was all it took.

Pretty sad about that. Does anyone know any better what's going on with them? (Hoping I might be missing something and they're less dead than they appear).

Sometimes I wonder where they get their dates. I could not find any official source dating not just the one Utawarerumono, but both. Same for Period Cube. Are these just going off Amazon placeholders or something?

Yep, that's what they are based off of.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, that's what they are based off of.

*sigh* That's why I always double-check these things. (I'm still trying to figure out where everyone even got the release date of Puyo Puyp Tetris from!) Unless it's straight from the horse's mouth, I don't consider it a 'release date'.

Marche90

Getting a tablet for VNs, round 2:

Last year I sold my Windows tablet because I needed the money, and found out that even some VNs were starved for RAM (those using e-mote, for example). For those of you who weren't around or don't remember it, it was an 8-inch one with 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of internal storage. Last week I finally pulled the trigger on a new one. Brand is a local one, again, but at least it has a better quality. Ended up getting a 10-inch one with 2GB of RAM and, more importantly, 64 GB of internal storage. So far, other than the weight (600 grams, more or less) and a freak Windows Update accident that forced me to reinstall Windows from scratch, I'm extremely happy with it. Battery lasts me for the whole day reading a novel like Da Capo 3, and more importantly, in a pinch this one works as a laptop since it came with a detachable keyboard with an extra USB port on it (full size, too), HDMI out and most importantly, it's usable to browse the net while doing other stuff. Not having to use an SD on it is a very big plus, too.

Now to keep at it in DC3. The common route took way, way too long. It's good, tho.

Do you guys consider Tears to Tiara II a visual novel?

I haven't placed it, so I couldn't tell you. I guess it would depend on the length of it,

grim-tales

Aksys/Operation Bluebird have said that the 999 remaster doesnt have
the extra ending from the IOS version of the game apparently
. So does that mean they did the remaster from the ground up based on the DS version? How will they
fit in the twist from the DS version with the sudoku?

Starting to wonder if its worth buying or not. Voice acting sounds cool, but if it offers nothing new storywise from the original.. hmmm.

Alright VNgaf, help me out here:

There's two VN compilations hitting around march (?) for the PS4/Vita, and I only have enough cash to pick one.
Should it be Nonary Games on PS4/Vita, or Danganronpa 1/2 on PS4?
I've never played any games from either franchise, so both experiences would be fresh.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

There's two VN compilations hitting around march (?) for the PS4/Vita, and I only have enough cash to pick one.
I've never played any games from either franchise, so both experiences would be fresh.

Depends who you ask, and both are great. I guess it comes down to this: would you prefer having one-on-one character interactions and solving murder mysteries, or would you rather solve puzzles to escape rooms?

TNG presents a story which is resolved in a game unavailable on PS4 (Zero Time Dilemma, and boy DOES IT UNDERDELIVER). The two games in this double pack used to be my favorite gsmes until ZTD got released. 999 and VLR are still godlike to play on their own, but it's unlikely that you'll get enough payoff.

As for DR:R, the two Danganronpa games present a reasonably more complete story. They're also incredible in their own right. So you'll probably enjoy DR:R more. There's a DR3 anime, but it doesn't affect DR1 or DR2 for the most part (and is also trash).

TL;DR: If you care about a complete story and having payoff, Danganronpa is the way to go. If you're OK with not having a complete story in your hands, though, TNG is IMO the better experience. Both franchises are favorites of mine so whatever you pick, you're in for one hell of a ride.

Fancolors

Hey does anyone have recommendations for VNs on Steam that are around 15-20 hours long? Playing V4-11 HALL-A made me realize I miss VNs. I'm fine with anything as long as it doesn't go into creepy rape-y territory

rickyson1

Hey does anyone have recommendations for VNs on Steam that are around 15-20 hours long? Playing V4-11 HALL-A made me realize I miss VNs. I'm fine with anything as long as it doesn't go into creepy rape-y territory

little bit outside that range but The House in Fata Morgana is fantastic and took me 25

little bit outside that range but The House in Fata Morgana is fantastic and took me 25

Fata Morgana IS fan-fucking-tastic, but I think it comes close to 30 hours.

You could try Higurashi... Although only the first four of the eight total chapters have been released so far. (the first couple chapters will probably take up 15-20 hours)

Fruitbat is too small to be able to pay a liver or two for that license, imo.

And I don't think FSN would fall under 'I'd be surprised if someone can guess it."

Though Fruitbat has had some fairly "big" licenses. Maybe it's something else Key related?

Fruitbat's announcement is SeaBed for Steam. Conjueror is the translator.

We're very excited to reveal a new game acquisition: SeaBed, Paleontology's highly anticipated psychological yuri visual novel is getting an English language release by us!

SeaBed was released in Japan in 2016 and quickly drew the attention of visual novel enthusiasts in both Japan and abroad.

Text-wise, SeaBed is one of our largest translation projects, in addition to being known for its unique, high level writing style. We expect translation to take longer than usual, since we want to bring it out in the highest quality possible to meet the fans' expectations. The English PC version is currently expected to release in late 2017.

Who is SeaBed for? Well, if you like yuri games, or just like a really well written story regardless of genre, this is a game you shouldn't miss. SeaBed's story is deeply psychological and beggars description, but here's the official synopsis:

SeaBed is a critically acclaimed yuri-themed mystery visual novel told through the perspectives of three separate characters: Mizuno Sachiko, a designer plagued by hallucinations of her past lover; Narasaki Hibiki, Sachiko's friend and a psychiatrist researching the workings of human memories; and Takako, Sachiko's former lover who has been rapidly forgetting her past, including how or why the two women drifted apart despite being together since childhood.

All three live in different worlds, but seek the same goal. To separate truth from illusion. To make sense of their own lives.

The Steam version of SeaBed is being updated to natively support 1440×1080 resolution. It will also include Steam achievements, Cloud support and Steam Trading Cards.

You can see a full set of high resolution screenshots on SeaBed's homepage and Steam page. The game is available for pre-order for the price of $19.99 from the Fruitbat Factory store with a -25% pre-order discount.

Fancolors

World End Economica 1-3.

"Same author who did Spice and Wolf"
Interesting...
Gonna get that once I get the other endings in V4-11 HALL-A
Fata Morgana IS fan-fucking-tastic, but I think it comes close to 30 hours.

You could try Higurashi... Although only the first four of the eight total chapters have been released so far. (the first couple chapters will probably take up 15-20 hours)

Played that already before the Steam release.

Top Bottom