• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Story Spoilers and Speculations

onken

Don't flame me too much but...visually this looks good. But a far cry from the OMG BEST GRAPHIX EVER that people have been swearing.

It could be the feed but I doubt it'd make a huge difference.

However some of the cutscenes look amazing though.

I dunno for consoles this looks pretty fucking nuts.

Oh don't get me wrong I think its a looker, I guess I got my expectations too high due to all the hype different places have been giving the graphics.

Regardless, I haven't followed Halo since...Halo 1 and the original novels. Just how many Spartans are out and about now? What happened to Kelly?

Ohwiseone

Alright I'm out.

I saw a bit of a level, saw the awesome legendary ending. That's enough, don't wanna ruin what the dude looks like.

Monocle

Oh you guys. You only get one first impression, you know. I'm gonna try to make mine as ideal as it can be. One good night alone with my TV, my Xbox, and a pair of headphones. Notifications off, phone on airplane mode.

OK, OK, I get the temptation to see as much as possible as early as possible. Honestly, I wish high profile games like Halo 4 were released for digital download as soon as they leaked. I'm sure there's good sales and corporate related reasons that this doesn't happen, but if some thieving nobody gets to play the game early, so should paying customers!

dave_m123

That Dr Halsey, I was convinced that was real, then when she started speaking...CGI you can tell. Very impressive though wow!

Petrichor

I've only seen it from the penultimate level onwards, cortana mentions something about the chief meeting
the librarian
what happens?

Thoraxes

Huh....not exactly what I imagined the Forerunners to look like.

Didact is soldier-class mutation too. The skin color and aesthetic will be the same across the others (builders, miners, lifeworkers, lifeshapers, warrior-servants) but they do vary plenty in size and shape depending on caste. Additionally, they're always in their armors as they provide the essential elements of living for all of them. Nearly all Forerunners live in their armor. If you're more interested in Forerunners specifically, even reading like the first chapter of the Greg Bear trilogy is good.

Also for everyone else, did we find out if it's Bornstellar or not yet?

In the prologue, why are all the Spartans wearing the Mark VI suit that Cortana upgraded? They should have Mark IV or V... Also why are they using the Storm designs for the Elites...

Deadly

In the prologue, why are all the Spartans wearing the Mark VI suit that Cortana upgraded? They should have Mark IV or V... Also why are they using the Storm designs for the Elites...
Storm Elites were probably the grunt-class Elites maybe? As for the armor? They lost me there too.

EDIT: Based on the wikia Mark VI was deployed around Halo 2 to the surviving Spartans. If it's a fight on Earth then it all makes sense.

BLAZER

Anybody seen or know about the Halo 4 Terminals yet?

The Halo Anniversary ones were astounding so I'm sure the Halo 4 ones are even better.

How many of them will there be, anyone know?

I can't stop the watching the CGI cut-scenes. I also can't wait till halo looks like that real-time...next gen maybe(if were lucky). C'mon Frank, push your team even further, the mantle is in solid hands it seems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I saw the ending and I don't even follow Halo.

Storm Elites were probably the grunt-class Elites maybe? As for the armor? They lost me there too.

EDIT: Based on the wikia Mark VI was deployed around Halo 2 to the surviving Spartans. If it's a fight on Earth then it all makes sense.

No, the Storm is separate from the Covenant, they came AFTER Halo 3. Also Chief isn't wearing regular Mark VI, it is a suit of Mark VI upgraded by Nanomachines, it is completely unique.
The final boss is
a QTE.
Cortana
always wanted to touch Master Chief's chest. The feeling's mutual, I'm sure.

Can you give me some real details?

Flipyap

No, the Storm is separate from the Covenant, they came AFTER Halo 3. Also Chief isn't wearing regular Mark VI, it is a suit of Mark VI upgraded by Nanomachines, it is completely unique.
It's just artistic license. Someone though old Halo designs were lame or not modern enough, so they changed them based on their idea of "cool".
Cortana didn't do a thing to the exterior of that suit, that's now what it always looked like. Same goes for Covenant armor, Godzilla Jackals, Grunts with luscious little buttocks.

I only saw some random cutscenes on youtube, so I lack the context for most of the events and would probably get a lot of it wrong.

Petrichor

Prometheans are ancient humans converted into forerunner slaves by a device called the composer, which the didact is seeking to convert the rest of humanity into prometheans. Didact retrieves the composer from a UNSC research base (not sure how they got it) in a massive forerunner vessel and proceeds towards earth, chief follows in a broadsword with a nuclear payload which he intends to use to destroy the composer.

The final mission starts with a segment reminiscent of the death star level in rogue squadron, flying along the hull of the massive forerunner vessel towards the composer. Chief's broadsword is eventually destroyed so he has to infiltrate the ship on foot with the payload. Cortana injects the rampant aspects of her personality into the defence system to lower the shields protecting the didact and the composer, but the didact then destroys the pedestal containing the real cortana, leaving only the rampant copies. Chief eventually reaches the didact, who throws him off the light bridge and is about to kill him, when the rampant cortanas materialize from the light bridge and hold the didact down. The final sequence requires you to plant a pulse grenade on the incapacitated didact, who then falls into an energy core. Chief detonates the nuke by bashing it with his fist, but is saved by cortana, who uses the last of her energy within the system to save him (telling him this in some kind of hallucination where she is life size).

He is then found by the infinity. The end.

An encounter with the librarian is alluded to as well but I didn't see that bit.

Anyone who wants to fill in the gaps be my guest. There is surprisingly little left unresolved for the sequels, maybe they haven't nailed down what direction they want to go in yet and are waiting for feedback.

Deadly

I see. For the armor, at the end when you see him leading the people behind him it's clearly the unique armor but the one the rest of the Spartans use when we see them looks like regular Mark VI. Something about it looks abit different. Either that or they were just lazy.

Flipyap

Prometheans are ancient humans converted into forerunner slaves by a device called the composer, which the didact is seeking to convert the rest of humanity into prometheans.
I'm glad this is where they took that part of the story
CALLED IT!
, but that part is presented EXTREMELY poorly. It's basically an info dump in the style of Assassin's Creed Revelations... I mean, except with actual revelations in this case.

It's just artistic license. Someone though old Halo designs were lame or not modern enough, so they changed them based on their idea of "cool".
Cortana didn't do a thing to the exterior of that suit, that's now what it always looked like. Same goes for Covenant armor, Godzilla Jackals, Grunts with luscious little buttocks.

Then explain the Mark VI available in multiplayer.

Prometheans are ancient humans converted into forerunner slaves by a device called the composer, which the didact is seeking to convert the rest of humanity into prometheans. Didact retrieves the composer from a UNSC research base (not sure how they got it) in a massive forerunner vessel and proceeds towards earth, chief follows in a broadsword with a nuclear payload which he intends to use to destroy the composer.

The final mission starts with a segment reminiscent of the death star level in rogue squadron, flying along the hull of the massive forerunner vessel towards the composer. Chief's broadsword is eventually destroyed so he has to infiltrate the ship on foot with the payload. Cortana injects the rampant aspects of her personality into the defence system to lower the shields protecting the didact and the composer, but the didact then destroys the pedestal containing the real cortana, leaving only the rampant copies. Chief eventually reaches the didact, who throws him off the light bridge and is about to kill him, when the rampant cortanas materialize from the light bridge and hold the didact down. The final sequence requires you to plant a pulse grenade on the incapacitated didact, who then falls into an energy core. Chief detonates the nuke by bashing it with his fist, but is saved by cortana, who uses the last of her energy within the system to save him (telling him this in some kind of hallucination where she is life size).

He is then found by the infinity. The end.

An encounter with the librarian is alluded to as well but I didn't see that bit.

Anyone who wants to fill in the gaps be my guest. There is surprisingly little left unresolved for the sequels, maybe they haven't nailed down what direction they want to go in yet and are waiting for feedback.
I saw the scene with the Librarian, it is the scene that reveals what the Prometheans are. Also there is one big thing left for the sequels, according to the legendary ending the Didact is still alive and killed the population of an entire city(maybe even planet). Also is the space combat better than Reach?
EDIT:I just watched the final segment, I guess I misunderstood the legendary ending because I hadn't seen what actually happened before hand, never mind what I said

Flipyap

Ew, Didact looks like a mix between Gears of War Locust and the Grinch from that awful live action Dr. Seuss movie.
I think it's more like a mixture of Cloverfield monster's and Voldemort's heads, on the body of a metal sculpture of a Gears of War Berserker.
He also wears an Army of Two bro's helmet and sounds like a Transformer.

Then explain the Mark VI available in multiplayer.
Bizarrely random bit of fanservice. They said that they didn't want players to look like the (current) Master Chief in multiplayer.
Seriously, the armor still bears the same battle damage from Halo 3. If nanomachines could completely alter its shape, they wouldn't miss that spot.

I'm glad this is where they took that part of the story
CALLED IT!
, but that part is presented EXTREMELY poorly. It's basically an info dump in the style of Assassin's Creed Revelations... I mean, except with actual revelations in this case.

Also had that feeling about the prometheans
They looked way too human like for me and totally not what Forerunners were described as in the books. Only seen last 90 min of the game do we know which of the two didacts the one in the game is. Also does someone have a picture of the librarian?

I think it's more like a mixture of Cloverfield monster's and Voldemort's heads, on the body of a metal sculpture of a Gears of War Berserker.
He also wears an Army of Two bro's helmet and sounds like a Transformer.

Bizarrely random bit of fanservice. They said that they didn't want players to look like the (current) Master Chief in multiplayer.
Seriously, the armor still bears the same battle damage from Halo 3. If nanomachines could completely alter its shape, they wouldn't miss that spot.

Okay, then why did it show
Chief receiving Cortana from Halsey while wearing Mark VI.
They looked way too human like for me and totally not what Forerunners were described as in the books. Only seen last 90 min of the game do we know which of the two didacts the one in the game is. Also does someone have a picture of the librarian?
It was the original Didact, I assume? Also the video I saw with the librarian was taken down sadly.

Deadly

According to the description above, they're ancient humans converted into forerunner slaves. Shouldn't it be normal that they still have some human attributes?

Okay, then why did it show
Chief receiving Cortana from Halsey while wearing Mark VI.
Obviously that's just them being lazy.

According to the description above, they're ancient humans converted into forerunner slaves. Shouldn't it be normal that they still have some human attributes?

Obviously that's just them being lazy.

If im not mistaken Prometheans are described as forerunners the Elite of the warrior Servant class. So when they first revealed them i first thought was Ai or robots fighting for the Prometheans would make sense given the flood taking over organic lifeforms.

Then i heard of the composer who can transform brains(souls,persons,etc) into AIs.
So then i though maybe they made Human prisoners of war Ai that could drive those robots instead at a primal level while still being in control.

Then 343 kept on confusing me about not telling what Prometheans really mean.

Dont really care about reimaging of the chief the armor grew on me.
Should visit Halogaf OT some more maybe i will when Halo 4 is released.
Like this discussions about lore of universes. If you linked me to a Star trek or Warhammer wikia i will be lost for hours literally.

So essentially
they "killed off" the last remaining Halo character(besides Buck) that was actually interesting.
Im just so excited for the next game! /sarcasm

Flipyap

Except he never saw Halsey while he was in Mark VI. That scene would have to be him in Mark V. Ergo they just didn't bother making CG models for Mark V and VI.
They did, however, "bother" making a clean, not scarred variant of the suit.
The "marks" of armor designs have become completely meaningless over the years. The books have a Mark VII that looks like "Mark V", Forward Unto Dawn and Legends feature Mark Vs that look like "Mark VI". Spartan IIIs wear all kind of mjolnirs, which sometimes look like SPI for no good reason... It doesn't matter what you call it, this is now a design he's been using for years.
Either that, or all cutscenes are unreliable and they might as well have used Elite models to represent the yet untold invasion of flying spaghetti monsters.

They did, however, "bother" making a clean, not scarred variant of the suit.
The "marks" of armor designs have become completely meaningless over the years. The books have a Mark VII that looks like "Mark V", Forward Unto Dawn and Legends feature Mark Vs that look like "Mark VI". Spartan IIIs wear all kind of mjolnirs, which sometimes look like SPI for no good reason... It doesn't matter what you call it, this is now a design he's been using for years.
Either that, or all cutscenes are unreliable and they might as well have used Elite models to represent the yet untold invasion of flying spaghetti monsters.

The Legends armor was Mark IV.

ced

Just saw the ending,
Cortana is gone for good
?

This is BS to have to use tags here, GTFO if you don't want to be spoiled, I'll do it anyways this one time.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just saw the ending,
Cortana is gone for good
?

This is BS to have to use tags here, GTFO if you don't want to be spoiled, I'll do it anyways this one time.

THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET

When nov 6 hits, then the spoiler tags become unnecessary

It's a spoiler and speculation thread- since game isn't out it's really a speculation thread

ced

THE GAME ISN'T OUT YET

When nov 6 hits, then the spoiler tags become unnecessary

It's a spoiler and speculation thread- since game isn't out it's really a speculation thread

Dopey (literally) what part of SPOILERS in the title do you not get?

Top Bottom