• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarForge - Infinite Voxels

red731

Dat freefall!!!!

Installs, runs, somehow summons jetcopter, spaaaaace, builds small platform, place crazy nutkicker and fly down.

The plan.

-SD-

Banned
starforge_influences9x7xg.png

Taken from the end of this developer walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRlgk1xC_PQ

Woorloog

Banned
That space section in the trailer... damn, perfect music for it too.
I wonder what sort of system requirements does this have?

EDIT oh, high-end machines?
GODDAMNIT

scitek

All we know is that the developers claim it's for "high-end" machines only. One user on reddit claimed it ran well on his "mediocre" machine, whatever that means.

With a 2GB Radeon 6950, 8GB RAM, and an i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5GHz I was getting ~30fps average on the highest setting.

Enco

Well you can definitely tell it's alpha.

- It seems to be capped at 30 fps for me (highest settings, GTX 580, i5-2500k 3.3GHz)
- The graphics are decent considering the scale of the game
- I get a black screen and have to restart whenever I look into space
- You can't save your game

Don't really want to pick any more holes since it's nowhere near done. It's a fun tech demo but nothing more right now.

Was gonna say this looks like Halo meets Minecraft, but then the dev said as much.

I like how the main character's helmet looks like Leia's bounty hunter hat from RotJ.

YoungFa

Got 30-40 on max. Settings and 1600x900 Resolution Windowed. (i7-2600k@3.4, GTX 560Ti)
The jumping is weird, but wall jumps are fun.

M3d10n

Is that an in-house engine? The characters are quite acrobatic (wallrunning, walljumping, tree climbing, etc).

Yeah, it kind of hurts my eyes to try to actually process it... Looks more like SɘapZcRiGȨ to me.

It's like a text-based Rorschach test.

It's one of those things that's stylized so it reads the same upside-down. Can't remember if that has a name. Anyway, IMO it almost always produces something wierd-looking. I know I've seen posts on GAF where a few other games have done it, some to better effect.

KKRT00

I'm fucking blown away and I cant find a post of a guy who defended Notch and Java for programming voxels and he's even called Minecraft technological achievement lol.

Aselith

If by "a different style of graphics" you meant "blatant Minecraft ripoff", then you're right :>

nah sorry, I love indie games, I really do, but this is just stealing on all fronts.

Actually what I meant was graphics that weren't as pretty.

As for calling it a Minecraft ripoff, that is astoundingly dismissive of you. Have you actually played the game or even watched it played? Because it plays out very differently from Minecraft. It's more combat focused and you can't really dig in any significant way. You can build stuff but it's mostly turrets and walls for forts.

I believe they have some demo code up, I would suggest trying the game before you write it off. This game the thread is about is more of a Minecraft clone than 3079.

The art style may be similar, and that was a good choice because it limits floaty problems like this game has, but the games are not.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Actually what I meant was graphics that weren't as pretty.

As for calling it a Minecraft ripoff, that is astoundingly dismissive of you. Have you actually played the game or even watched it played? Because it plays out very differently from Minecraft. It's more combat focused and you can't really dig in any significant way. You can build stuff but it's mostly turrets and walls for forts.

I believe they have some demo code up, I would suggest trying the game before you write it off. This game the thread is about is more of a Minecraft clone than 3079.

The art style may be similar, and that was a good choice because it limits floaty problems like this game has, but the games are not.

Wasn't talking about gameplay at all, just the graphics :)

domlolz

Banned
the controls are awful, you know in GTA4 when you are drunk and euphoria engine takes over? it's like that (and your legs are made out of springs and its first person)

goonergaz

worked OK on my setup (Q6600+HD4980+4GB) - settings 1024x768 @ good, playable framerate - pretty impressive stuff, but I don't get minecraft so ended up switching off after a couple of mins...just hope the above if helpful to someone considering trying.

oh, and it ran in a window even tho I ticked full screen

Aselith

worked OK on my setup (Q6600+HD4980+4GB) - settings 1024x768 @ good, playable framerate - pretty impressive stuff, but I don't get minecraft so ended up switching off after a couple of mins...just hope the above if helpful to someone considering trying.

oh, and it ran in a window even tho I ticked full screen

The tick mark would have put in windowed. You have to uncheck it.

goonergaz

it's odd, it booted in window so I rebooted and changed the tick (can't remember which way round it was) - will have to double check - ta for that :)

garath

Just watched the trailer for this. Color me intrigued. It's very ambitious though. I'd be happy if it works. Looks like a lot of fun.

Exuro

the controls are awful, you know in GTA4 when you are drunk and euphoria engine takes over? it's like that (and your legs are made out of springs and its first person)
Seriously. I tried doing a simple jump and place a block below you but for some reason when you jump you go backwards, and if you jump near a wall you seem to auto jump off the wall towards the other direction. Really awful movement.

Enco

Seriously. I tried doing a simple jump and place a block below you but for some reason when you jump you go backwards, and if you jump near a wall you seem to auto jump off the wall towards the other direction. Really awful movement.
Yea this is true.

I wouldn't recommend anyone play the game right now.

Give it a few months for all the awfulness to be fixed and polished. We'll then (hopefully) have a really amazing game where you can fly into freakin space.

goonergaz

So I'm trying to run this, and it keeps locking up. Wont load at all..

I just waited...blank screen then a couple of mins later it started.

I now have full screen, just an update - my son (who is addicted to minecraft) gave this a go and when I returned an hour later it was a slide-show...I think he spawned too many enemies tho, so just a heads-up that my setup is probably at the min end of the spec.

Like I said, general play at 1024x768 @ good detail was fine.

Top Bottom