• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Mitch

Banned
Elder doesn't even belong in the top 25 imo. It's there because of hype but it is extremely overrated.
Before I had it, I thought it was the pinnacle of beers. Now I definitely agree with you.

I'm drinking a Double Dry Hopped Melcher Street right now and it's leagues better than Pliny The Elder, imo. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Really solid IPA.

Before I had it, I thought it was the pinnacle of beers. Now I definitely agree with you.

I'm drinking a Double Dry Hopped Melcher Street right now and it's leagues better than Pliny The Elder, imo. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. Really solid IPA.

Hard comparison between an old school pine IPA and newschool juice.

Mitch

Banned
Hard comparison between an old school pine IPA and newschool juice.
Good point.

I'm terrible when it comes to comparing beers and describing how they taste. I just know I've had plenty of amazing IPAs since having Pliny. Like Focal Banger for example.

BumRush

Good point.

I'm terrible when it comes to comparing beers and describing how they taste. I just know I've had plenty of amazing IPAs since having Pliny. Like Focal Banger for example.

Focal Banger is more citrusy than Pliny, but I agree, I like it better than Pliny as well.

Mitch

Banned
Lizard of Koz!

Huge on the sweet blueberries up front. I love it. Chocolate and vanilla follow with a nice bitter hint, leaving a very subtle after taste. 10.5% isn't a whole lot, but you really can't tell it's up there.

Wouldn't buy it again at the $20 price tag, but I'm glad I got to try it.

Jarnet87

I picked up two bottles of the Enjoy By 12.25.16 yesterday. Also grabbed a Clown Shoes Barista. I thought the Brown Angel was real good, hope this one holds up. Also got a bottle of Vanilla Hazelnut Marshall Zhukov. Weird that they just have a bunch of it sitting out yet Cigar City sent so little of the regular MZ earlier in the year. Must have been the increased price tag.

Lotto

Mostra 3rd anniversary party was nuts, some really big beers were had at 8am. Summation from 3 Sons was waaaaaaaaaay better than Fundamental Observation imo. I really didn't expect it to be so wonderful, the amount of vanilla that comes through was perfect, right on the money sweetness and nice thickness. Big Poppa from J. Wakefield/Abnormal was incredible as well, again trumped Space Trace which I had just a few weeks ago. The coconut comes out nicely, just superlative. All of the Lights from Abnormal/J.Wakefield was straight up hazelnut/nutella, damn delicious although it seemed unfiltered or something cause it was really muddy looking, would suggest anyone with access to this one to try it since it's pretty unique imo. Abnormal is definitely a brewery I'm gonna pay a lot more attention to after this event, I even picked up a 32oz growler of their New Money hazy IPA which was pretty damn good. Had a bunch more but I couldn't get too wasted that early :p

Pretty much got to try all I wanted to, although I will say that my palette died around 9am so it got tougher to distinguish some of the flavors in the beers
(yeah I know, they're all pretty much BA stouts but the differences between them were still really impressive, besides, it was an event hosted by a cold brew coffee company!)
Few guys around me were kind enough to share a few sips of beers I didn't get too. Anyways,
somewhat
full list I tried:

Cycle Brewing 3rd Anniversary BA Mostra Coffee Stout (Indonesia Sumatra)
Cycle Brewing 3rd Anniversary BA Vietnamese (Da Lat)
3 Sons Brewing Summation
J. Wakefield/Abnormal Big Poppa
J. Wakefield Welcome to the Thunderdome
Bottle Logic Red Eye November
Modern Times Centaur Gardens
Abnormal/3 Sons M3
Abnormal M2
Abnormal/J. Wakefield All of the Lights
Mason Aleworks Vanilla Cash

Great event. Will be back for the next anniversary :)

Local store has the 2016 release of Mother of all Storms (Pelican Brewing). I've heard great things about it, but is it worth $20 a bottle? And can one person drink it alone? Don't have any good beer buds at the moment who would appreciate a barrel-aged barleywine. I suppose I could always cellar it but I don't have the self-control to wait a year or two to drink it.

Local store has the 2016 release of Mother of all Storms (Pelican Brewing). I've heard great things about it, but is it worth $20 a bottle? And can one person drink it alone? Don't have any good beer buds at the moment who would appreciate a barrel-aged barleywine. I suppose I could always cellar it but I don't have the self-control to wait a year or two to drink it.

It's been a long time since I had that one (pre name change), but it's a fantastic beer. Get it, drink it alone and enjoy.

$20 is a steal on MOAS. It was $25 last year at the taproom in Tillamook.

Also, I cannot imagine drinking that alone. I feel like throwing up just thinking about doing that. So much sugar and booze... urp...

Having Abyss 2015 tonight. Bottle said "Best after 12/08/16" on it. Yeah, this is better than I remember it being fresh. Granted, it has been about a year, so my memory might be hazy, but it does seem time was very kind to this.

Have the Rye Whiskey version in the fridge now. The best after date on it is the 18th.

Damn been so long since I posted I didn't realize there was a second OT! About time.

Sixers of Xocoveza somehow only just made it out near me. Had a pour at a bar yesterday and something tasted off but this bottle tastes just how I remembered. What did you think of this year's, Des?

Damn been so long since I posted I didn't realize there was a second OT! About time.

Sixers of Xocoveza somehow only just made it out near me. Had a pour at a bar yesterday and something tasted off but this bottle tastes just how I remembered. What did you think of this year's, Des?

I aint Des, but I think this year's is still magnificent. Just a perfectly balanced beer. And thankfully, still easily available here. Last year only one store in town got one case of it. On my second six pack of the season now, and still plenty in town. Thank god.

Pretty sure I went though at least three sixers last year. It's definitely just what I was craving in this gloomier weather and tbh I barely drink stouts/porters anymore.

Mitch

Banned
Tickets for Hoof's Konkey went on sale today. 400 of 'em sold out in 50 seconds.

People are thirsty for this beer. Glad I got mine, since it's my favorite out of the bunch.

Going to be cold as hell there this Sunday.

Raven117

Gold Member
Beer is good

Wish I could drink more of it

Damn you poor distribution to Alaska :(

Yeah, but that Alaskan Amber is pretty good.

And while we are on the topic of Beer. For fucksakes, is everyone still gushing over IPAs? You mean to tell me that there is not a single Lager, Pilsner, Kolsh, Amber, in the Top 25?

That's some emperor's new clothes b.s. right there.

Im going to keep on swigging the swill of the people and be waiting when everyone finally comes back around to liking beer that doesn't' take like soap.

Im only half kidding :D

Mitch

Banned
My love for IPAs is undying.

I made it my goal to go out of my way to try out new and different beers, though. I got into sours this year, which is almost on par with my love for hoppy beers. Same with stouts to an extent. I used to drink a couple from local Houston breweries, but ever since I moved to Cleveland, I've been on a never ending hunt.

On top of that, there have been some great Witbiers rotating in and out of my draft picks at my favorite brewery here in town.

IMG_4051.jpg

Not sure if you knew this was a thing, but it is a thing. Brewed for Pabst at the Red Hook facility in Woodinville, WA and only available in WA and OR. If you're gonna do beer styles with the NYF tag line, an IPA isn't one that makes a lick of sense. There's also a WA/OR exclusive NYF Cherry Ale. Whatever that is.

Not expecting much, but I found a single bottle and I'm super morbidly curious.

Yeah, but that Alaskan Amber is pretty good.

And while we are on the topic of Beer. For fucksakes, is everyone still gushing over IPAs? You mean to tell me that there is not a single Lager, Pilsner, Kolsh, Amber, in the Top 25?

That's some emperor's new clothes b.s. right there.

Im going to keep on swigging the swill of the people and be waiting when everyone finally comes back around to liking beer that doesn't' take like soap.

Im only half kidding :D

It's not even just IPAs, it's Imperial IPAs and Imperial Stouts. Like, there's more to the world of beer than 12% ABV guys. Sometimes we just want a refreshing tipple, not a flavorbomb gobsmack. I mean, I don't know if I'd put any lagers or pilseners in my top 25 regardless, but there's definitely some good ones available that get overlooked by people clamoring to get their hands on some "buy tickets for our limited release event" beer that can't possibly live up to the hype. But I guess that's what fandom is; it's finding something you enjoy and taking it to the point where casual fans think you've gone absolutely mental.

IMG_4051.jpg

Not sure if you knew this was a thing, but it is a thing. Brewed for Pabst at the Red Hook facility in Woodinville, WA and only available in WA and OR. If you're gonna do beer styles with the NYF tag line, an IPA isn't one that makes a lick of sense. There's also a WA/OR exclusive NYF Cherry Ale. Whatever that is.

Not expecting much, but I found a single bottle and I'm super morbidly curious.

You are a braver man than I. I could barely get through a bottle of NYF Root Beer; it's just sickly sweet. It's such a frat boy drink; I don't want my alcohol to taste like booze! Grow up and drink beer like an adult. I won't touch another one of their products with a ten foot pole. I'm assuming their IPA tastes like Sprite with a liberal application of Pine-Sol.

NYFRB is absolutely terrible. Tastes like root beer with rubbing alcohol added. Just drink regular root beer.

I'm not expecting anything crazy with the IPA. Probably a malt forward piney IPA. If they were gonna do a NYF line of beers, maybe pick some that are considered "dad styles," like lager or brown.

Raven117

Gold Member
It's not even just IPAs, it's Imperial IPAs and Imperial Stouts. Like, there's more to the world of beer than 12% ABV guys. Sometimes we just want a refreshing tipple, not a flavorbomb gobsmack. I mean, I don't know if I'd put any lagers or pilseners in my top 25 regardless, but there's definitely some good ones available that get overlooked by people clamoring to get their hands on some "buy tickets for our limited release event" beer that can't possibly live up to the hype. But I guess that's what fandom is; it's finding something you enjoy and taking it to the point where casual fans think you've gone absolutely mental.

I want to bottle this quote. It captures not only beer, but pretty much fans anywhere.

Specifically on the topic of beer...what is irritating is that the "beer snobs" look down on us plebeians for liking legitimately good Lagers, Pils...etc...

No it doesn't bother me all that much, because while everyone is standing in line for a limited release over-hopped flavor of the week...Im swigging crisp, flavorful beer by the pint full, laughing with my friends, singing songs, and making an ass out of myself all without the pretention! Feels awesome!

I am kidding around on this...and while I enjoy "good" anything be it alcohol related or anything else, I feel some folks tear apart and nitpick everything they love about the hobby in the first place

Shiner Bock
Black Hefeweizen (Goliad Brewery...a strange beer)
Upslope Lager

All should be in my hand at all times.

I ended up getting the Mother of All Storms ($25 at New Seasons since the snow was starting to come in and I couldn't go back to the bottle shop where I thought I saw it for $19.99). And I have to say, it's a very good beer.... but still way overpriced. I mean, it's got a lot going on, but it definitely leans towards the super-sweet (my tasting notes compare it to drinking a Good-n-Plenty licorice candy), and that tends to overwhelm any other flavors on the palate. I think cellaring it for a year or two would definitely help mellow that out and allow some of the malt flavors to start expressing themselves more (FWIW I initially got strong notes of candied figs and cacao nibs, so it's definitely got some wonderful flavors brewing in there), but it becomes so overpoweringly sweet that it leaves me wanting a nice hoppy IPA to cut it with. So definitely share this with a friend or three, provided they're willing to pony up some dough.

codhand

this happens all the time on private FB groups; beer, wine, bourbon, you name it, but usually no one is dumb enough to do it as a business under their actual business name, let's not pretend this phenomenon is exclusive to any one region of country or globe either.

this happens all the time on private FB groups; beer, wine, bourbon, you name it, but usually no one is dumb enough to do it as a business under their actual business name, let's not pretend this phenomenon is exclusive to any one region of country or globe either.

Oh I know it's not a new thing. Razzle/raffles/auctions are super common on FB and Instagram. I know of one guy who has been banned from de Garde bcause of it. He's from Seattle and shows up to most releases and gets shit faced while waiting in line. He's also a registered sex offender and creepy as fuck. Pretty ballsy for a HyVee to try and do the same thing on Facebook publicly, though.

I know it's a good spot for Omaha people to get their TG bombers (Nebraska only gets the Florida brewed TG cans), but I kinda think it would be funny if they lost their TG distribution rights after this stunt.

You can probably use this to get a good idea.

That just confirms that he should send me the coffee and cognac versions, just to be safe.

Anyways, I feel like I am going to regret my choices tomorrow. Got home from work about 4pm after being up since 6am. Started with an Enjoy By, then had a bottle of Tweak while making dinner. Then finished the growler of the Lagunitas Willett Imperial Stout (about 20oz). I feel I am going to feel like shit in the morning, and I don't care.

Top Bottom