• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damon Albarn on Trump and more

“There’s no references to [Trump] on the record -- in fact, any time when anyone made any reference, I edited it out,” he says. “I don’t want to give the most famous man on earth any more fame, particularly. He doesn’t need it!”

The guest list of Humanz was partly directed by the fandom of Albarn’s own 17-year-old daughter, Missy, who loves artists like Vince Staples and Danny Brown. “Some of the decisions for this record were fueled by wanting to impress her still,”

His daughter has good taste.

Machine

I got my ticket for the Detroit show. I really hate Monday night concerts but sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Listened to the whole album just now. I am definitely feeling the vibe that Damon has less presence than his collabs throughout the whole album, which is expected considering how Plastic Beach was. Can't wait to listen to the bonus stuff too.

No love for Strobelite though? It's quite a banger and it's the name of a (still) unreleased NIN album that is totally not an April Fool's joke I swear on me mum.

Listened to the whole album just now. I am definitely feeling the vibe that Damon has less presence than his collabs throughout the whole album, which is expected considering how Plastic Beach was. Can't wait to listen to the bonus stuff too.

No love for Strobelite though? It's quite a banger and it's the name of a (still) unreleased NIN album that is totally not an April Fool's joke I swear on me mum.

I said last page that Strobelite was the surprise hit. That beat is fucking CONTAGIOUS.

I understand why he'd remove Trump's name from the song(s), but ultimately, they never should have been included in the first place. Should have done some editing/additional studio work to patch in something different.

Haven't listened to the leaked version, but I didn't think the censoring in Let Me Out and Ascension was that bad.

Edit: On the iTunes page, the track length of The Apprentice got added (3:55), maybe that song's getting released tomorrow.

I love Gorillaz. My dad loves Gorillaz. We both went to the Plastic Beach tour and it was excellent. Him being a Trump supporter though (the kind that automatically dislikes anyone that dares speaks out against him and we've had our own small arguments) is the reason why I'm nervous to see if he wants to go to the show in Detroit. I don't think he knows about this stuff and I really hope he never realizes it.

I love Gorillaz. My dad loves Gorillaz. We both went to the Plastic Beach tour and it was excellent. Him being a Trump supporter though (the kind that automatically dislikes anyone that dares speaks out against him and we've had our own small arguments) is the reason why I'm nervous to see if he wants to go to the show in Detroit. I don't think he knows about this stuff and I really hope he never realizes it.

I'm sure he'll be fine. If he respects and likes the Gorillaz then he'll enjoy it :D

So in-universe it seems like Murdoc has done a complete 180 right? He used to be this manipulator who particularly liked to pick on 2D and from everything I've seen of him so far he seems to have mellowed out

Just listened to it. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would, but I'm sure it'll grow after more listens like Plastic Beach did. I like all the songs on it too, but it just didn't blow me away.

Stuff I'm not as keen on: Some of the songs are good, but don't really have much of a progression or climax (Charger, Carnival, and Sex Money Murder being the best examples). I also think the production is step back from their other albums, less sonically adventurous and dense. It also doesn't feel like it's as cohesive of a concept album in the way Demon Days and Plastic Beach were. Those albums have such a strong sense of place and feel like they take you on a journey, and I'm not quite sure Humanz really does that yet. I feel like Ben Mendelsohn's interludes could have been used to much greater effect. Hate to be that guy, but I would have liked more melody driven songs with Damon singing too, Busted and Blue was just lovely.

Stuff I liked: Well, there are a number of really, really strong songs after just one listen which is a good sign(Momentz, Submission, and Busted and Blue are all excellent), and I already liked all the songs they released as singles. I dig the return to a darker ambiance after Plastic Beach's tropical and bright sounds. It seems to be paced pretty well too, with Andromeda and Busted and Blue acting as a sort of eye of the storm to the darker tracks surrounding them, and We've Got the Power works a lot better in the context of the album than it does in isolation.

Anyway, those are my first impressions, which as far as music is concerned isn't really worth a whole lot but there you go lol. I don't like it as much as their other main albums, but there's plenty of room for it to grow on me.

So in-universe it seems like Murdoc has done a complete 180 right? He used to be this manipulator who particularly liked to pick on 2D and from everything I've seen of him so far he seems to have mellowed out

2D said:
You have to be careful with dreams, though, ‘cos if you achieve them, then what will you have left to dream about? That's something Murdoc taught me. See, he can be nice sometimes. And since he's started drinking more he's had less time to beat me up and torture me. So I think we've really turned a corner. I only hope that what's around the corner isn't much, much worse. But that's the future, you can't worry about that too much.

Here you go. Came across this in a meet the band thing I found through the app.

Edit: Oh cool, I can access them on the computer.

2D | Murdoc | Russel | Noodle

Here you go. Came across this in a meet the band thing I found through the app.
Well that's nice! After that one interview during the Plastic Beach phase I seriously thought that 2D hated Murdoc's guts because of the kidnapping and the Paula Cracker incident.

On another note, I'm seeing a huge surge of 2DxNoodle fan art like never before. It's really odd since I've never thought about it before.

Also cause she's like 10 years younger than him.

Please don't judge the album on "sonic density" when the leak is in such terrible quality

That's fair, although I kinda felt that way about the singles too. I guess it sort of goes with the emphasis on club beats and all electronic instruments. Sounds like they do some cool stuff with distortions though.

I'm sure I'm unfairly holding it to the standard and style of Demon Days still (like I did Plastic Beach before it) which has some of my favorite production ever.

hughesta

Banned
That's fair, although I kinda felt that way about the singles too. I guess it sort of goes with the emphasis on club beats and all electronic instruments. Sounds like they do some cool stuff with distortions though.

I'm sure I'm unfairly holding it to the standard and style of Demon Days still (like I did Plastic Beach before it) which has some of my favorite production ever.
Demon Days is one of the best sounding albums ever made imo

new remix's just popped up on their youtube channel

Gorillaz - Andromeda (Purple Disco Machine Remix)
Gorillaz - Andromeda (ZHU Remix)
Gorillaz - Let Me Out (Banx & Ranx Remix)
Gorillaz - Saturnz Barz (Baauer Remix)

Jesus Christ. Sat there waiting and the page instantly went from "tickets on sale in 3... 2... 1..." to "No tickets left available."

Honestly kinda pissed off right now.

Okay, I have two hours until Red Rocks tickets round two.

Also, wtf. Gorillaz is 9/26 and Fleet Foxes are 9/27. This is going to be painfully expensive.

Edit: Just kidding. Fleet Foxes are super sold out.

isny

napkin dispenser
All of the floor seats seem to have been sold out yesterday through the Amex presale for the Toronto show. Feels bad man. Will try again tomorrow =/

What the hell, did the tickets already go up for Boston and are gone!? All I'm seeing now are Verified Second Hand Tickets for like $60 higher.

isny

napkin dispenser
Yeah, girlfriend and are just gunna go second hand. +40-50 for gaurenteed floor isn't bad.

Let me know if you find any of the floor seats for only $50-$60 more...the few people on Kijiji who have them for sale are trying to get $200+ per ticket.

Yeah, I'm hungry for those floor tickets for the Toronto show. Guess I'm waitin' until tomorrow.

I've always done Floor seats for their shows...not going to settle for anything less. It's unfortunate that the first presale was for Amex and not for fans like in the past. It kinda lets me down as a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom