• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gradius V rated by ESRB for Playstation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

andymcc

Banned
Konami Social Media Associate Manager, here. Now that the ESRB has released that info, I guess it's fine to say it's coming. Paperwork and pricing are still being finalized but you should expect it soon-ish on PSN.

do you also have the power to make sure mercury steam never touches a contra game because if you do, please do the right thing

Konami Social Media Associate Manager, here. Now that the ESRB has released that info, I guess it's fine to say it's coming. Paperwork and pricing are still being finalized but you should expect it soon-ish on PSN.

Do you know Tak Fujii? Please send him my best after hearing of his diagnosis.

This game is a masterpiece. Probably my favorite shmup too. Getting Treasure to make this game was the best decision Konami made for this series.

I'll stick to my PS2 copy on PCSX2. I would gladly buy a PC version though, if it ever happened.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Wunderbar. Finally I'll be able to play a game again after an unfortunate accident broke my original disc copy.

androvsky

Awesome, I've been looking for a copy of Gradius V for years. This is a PS2 Classic, right?

btw, can you say anything about Suikoden 2 getting on PSN?

Tizoc

Hi there and welcome to GAF

Seems the big main question was already asked, but I'd like to know if there are plans for more Konami PS2 and/or PSX games to be on PSN?
For that matter, Konami published some PSP games some years back, any chance some of them can show up on US PSN at least?

Amazing! And welcome!

Straight to the point: Gradius VI? Did it exist? Will it ever see the light?

Hi there and welcome to GAF

Seems the big main question was already asked, but I'd like to know if there are plans for more Konami PS2 and/or PSX games to be on PSN?
For that matter, Konami published some PSP games some years back, any chance some of them can show up on US PSN at least?

Thanks! I've been stalking NeoGAF for about a year for KPIs and taste-testing, but I've only been posting for a few months now. Please treat this as 'a GAFer who happens to work for Konami' rather than 'Konami employee account' as I tend to post non-Konami opinions on other threads.

We are always working with Sony in furthering our back catalog across all platforms and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. We may or may not have additional titles that I cannot speak about because they haven't been announced in any official capacity. Sometimes there are additional complications that may prohibit us from releasing a title, but we would like to get as many of our favorite titles out for fans.

pinny

Banned
Amazing game, but don't the PSN classics releases suffer from input lag? Not really ideal for shmups.

They do, at least if you're using an HDMI cable. I remember reading somewhere that using a component cable would fix that, I haven't tested it though.

edit: I just tested Raiden III and R-Type Delta with composite cables (since I don't have component cables) and the input lag is still really noticable.

Yes Boss!

Amazing game, but don't the PSN classics releases suffer from input lag? Not really ideal for shmups.

Yeah,

Kinda sucks...hence my desire to see these things get linked to the Vita somehow. I've probably got a dozen of the PS2 classics and have always preferred original hardware. Still, a good way to get it on the cheap and use the Triple scaler.

They do, at least if you're using an HDMI cable. I remember reading somewhere that using a component cable would fix that, I haven't tested it though.

I've hooked a PS3 up to a CRT specifically for this...and, yes, they feel a world better.

Exr

Fantastic gorgeous game, hard to find ao great news. Highly reccomended as a shmup fan.
For the record I love R-Type but Final was too slow for my left.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Any chance of Vita cross play? Great news anyway, but that would be icing.

good news! maybe its time for me to sell the ps2 copy. please let it be compatible with vita!
...You can only play PSP and PS1 games on the Vita. Not PS2 games.

I can understand hoping a miracle will happen ala Yes Boss, but you two sound kinda like you think PS2 Classics on Vita is currently an available option.

Yes Boss!

...You can only play PSP and PS1 games on the Vita. Not PS2 games.

I can understand hoping a miracle will happen ala Yes Boss, but you two sound kinda like you think PS2 Classics on Vita is currently an available option.

No, I've no illusions. But Sony has worked magic before...maybe there will some initiative once PS4 happens.

I play most (if not all) my PS1 games on my PSP and absolutely adore it. Hoping for the big PS2 to function similarly down the line.

Amirai

Who hoo! Utterly fantastic game. Would totally rebuy if it was in HD and had no input lag - utterly essential for a game like this.

In my opinion, the game just got more and more fun the harder it got. Like the entire screen would throw enemies, bullets and lasers at you, and yet somehow managing to escape unscathed - I've never gotten as much of a rush from any other game.

Extremely exacting gameplay. As I started some of the higher levels of difficulty I started noticing that I was having difficulty breathing because doing so would cause my shoulder to shift position a bit, very slightly affecting my muscle input, and I had started subconciously holding my breath to solve the problem, and didn't realize I was doing any of this until I got to long areas with sustained craziness and realized what I was doing.

I know you might not have the ability to affect these decisions, but suikoden 2 and gradius VI please! :D And if possible please hire treasure again, they did a fantastic job on GV.

Agent X

This is an excellent game! I've still got my PS2 disc, but this is great news for people who missed it the first time around (especially as the disc could be hard to find now).

I know you might not have the ability to affect these decisions, but suikoden 2 and gradius VI please! :D And if possible please hire treasure again, they did a fantastic job on GV.

Short answer is: I don't.

Complicated answer is: I try? I know it's really frustrating that we are very restrained about putting material out there, but there are always a ton of moving parts behind the scenes. I wish I could say more but I kinda like/need this job to live, k?

Also, personally, love, LOVE Treasure. Alien Solider? Are you kidding me?! So hype.

Since a wild Konami employee is here, I humbly request Gradius V to also appear on Steam :p

If I had a Ps3 I would buy this so hard. Still play my PS2 copy regularly.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Because of the amazing 2D sprite work (I'm wrong here, they're both 3D!), GV upscales really well with no work needed. Unfortunately R-Type Final was 3D and it really hurts it when you upscale.

All these shots were taken at straight 3x Native PS2 resolution (no AA) using PCSX2.

]

Wait a second, I thought Gradius V was unplayable and missing a ton of effects when emulated??

Amirai

Complicated answer is: I try? I know it's really frustrating that we are very restrained about putting material out there, but there are always a ton of moving parts behind the scenes. I wish I could say more but I kinda like/need this job to live, k?

Also, personally, love, LOVE Treasure. Alien Solider? Are you kidding me?! So hype.

Yeah, of course, certainly wouldn't want you to risk your job leaking anything. Thanks for trying on the other stuff where you can!

Amirai

graviusvz2qqy.png

Hope it comes to EU PSN as well!

Okay, I've tried googling and have found nothing about this. What is going on here?

Dezzy

PS2 Classic releases are emulated obviously, so is the image quality any different compared to using the actual PS2 disc on a fully BC phat PS3, since that isn't emulated?

Tizoc

Thanks! I've been stalking NeoGAF for about a year for KPIs and taste-testing, but I've only been posting for a few months now. Please treat this as 'a GAFer who happens to work for Konami' rather than 'Konami employee account' as I tend to post non-Konami opinions on other threads.

We are always working with Sony in furthering our back catalog across all platforms and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. We may or may not have additional titles that I cannot speak about because they haven't been announced in any official capacity. Sometimes there are additional complications that may prohibit us from releasing a title, but we would like to get as many of our favorite titles out for fans.

Thanks for the reply, and hope you guys can sort out all the issues relating to getting more Konami classics on consoles, etc. though I'd really like to know what these hurdles are if it's OK.

Other than that I'm just gonna avoid more port begging and thanks again for getting this classic on PSN, I've been in a non-Bullet Hell Shmup mood and I've heard great things about this so I can finally get to play this in due time.
Oh and for pricing, maybe consider $6-7? Raiden III got bumped down to that price some weeks after release and has been such for a long time now.

TnK

Does anyone know how the input lag is for PS2 classics? If I am not mistaken, CvS2 has 5 frames of input lag. Is this common with most classics?

With that being said what about PCSX2? I have a copy of GV lying around and would love to know if the emulation is good.

Marz

Alien Soldier is godlike. More people need to play this game.

pinny

Banned
Does anyone know how the input lag is for PS2 classics? If I am not mistaken, CvS2 has 5 frames of input lag. Is this common with most classics?

With that being said what about PCSX2? I have a copy of GV lying around and would love to know if the emulation is good.

I can't give you the number of frames, but yeah, the input lag is very noticable on PS1/PS2 classics. I have one PS2 game and eight or nine PS1 games and they all suffer from it.

OmegaDL50

Anyone know if Gradius Gaiden got a Japanese PSN release as a PSOne Classic?

If that happened, I'd have a reason to create a Japan PSN account just to get that game.

OmegaDL50

No, but it got a port on PSP as part of the Gradius Collection which you can download.

I hear while despite the fact it's not on the PS Store via Vita, it'll still work if you buy it on the PS3 then transfer it over.

While that's nice for Vita owners and I appreciate that option is available, however I was hoping to play it as a PSOne classic on my TV.

It's not to say there isn't anything wrong with the Vita, I just don't like small screens. Now once I can buy a Vita TV, this of course changes things.

TEJ

So did this ever come out on PSN? What's the word on this?

Nope. This week we're getting our first PS2 classic in a while, and it's some bass fishing game.

I remember when the PS2 classics section had potential and while there have been some good releases it now feels like a half baked idea.

I still have my PS2 disc so I wouldn't double dip, but this is great news still. It should have happened 5-6 years ago though. :/

On that note I really wish Konami would hire Treasure again to make Gradius VI for PS4. And as long as I'm dreaming lets have Taito make a new Darius.

EDIT:
Didn't notice this was an old thread that got bumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom