• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Havok

Just back home from work and my workout and happy to see my copy of The Thursday War showed up. What's the initial reaction like? No spoilers just do you like it so far?
It's okay. Very much a part two to Glasslands, though maybe slightly less eventful.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just back home from work and my workout and happy to see my copy of The Thursday War showed up. What's the initial reaction like? No spoilers just do you like it so far?

I'm loving it so far, even though I spoiled myself rotten a few weeks back. For a Halo fiction fan, it's crack.

Might be initial impression, but I don't see Abandon getting much play, map doesn't seem that great. I might be hating on it because the base area's aesthetic looks out of place to the rest of the map. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Also less dreary maps, pls.

Me and Over said it looked like a forge piece set in the centre, other than that, looks great to me.

Though, overall, the weakest of all the maps revealed so far.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm 100% sure we haven't seen the last of Flood in Halo's fiction. The Flood is the entire driving force of the conflict that has shaped and defined Halo's universe and key players, events and locations.

Even if we never see the Flood again (which I strongly doubt) every single Halo game will be framed by their existence.

BT Infinity - reasonable price, very high quality service, solid speeds up and down.

Plus, the flood survived the last halo firing. There's no fucking way they are "gone" now.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Me and Over said it looked like a forge piece set in the centre, other than that, looks great to me.

Though, overall, the weakest of all the maps revealed so far.

I'd agree. Would be interesting to see if it was revealed that Abandon was a launch Forge map.

It would also be disheartening to see if they just baked Forge assets into a real map.

As for what I consider the weakest map we've seen....I'd say either Longbow or Adrift. At this point, Haven is my favorite.

feel

It's 80% bloom I believe (edit: 85% actually). I find it passable while I find vanilla Reach almost unplayable. It feels sooo slow waiting for bloom to reset to an acceptable level with 100% bloom.

In super slayer I don't have that problem where I feel like I got screwed over by bloom that often. It seems like the H4 DMR has even less bloom so I'm not too worried about the DMR in that game. The magnum however....
Wow just 15% difference? That's crazy, it feels much better.

edit-
might have to ger back into Reach for this final month before Halo 4 since Valve just fucked CSGO (pc) in the ass and it can't be my go to mp game any more.

I'm loving it so far, even though I spoiled myself rotten a few weeks back. For a Halo fiction fan, it's crack.

Have you read the fan fiction graphic novel A Fistful of Arrows?

It's pretty damn good.. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it, not to mention it's a quick read too.

halo_a_fistful_of_arrows_cover_by_levihoff-d3a95c3.jpg

I need to read more of that.

Trust me, makes you want to read more fiction, whether canon or well-done stuff like this - nice helmet btw lol, should make one of those creepy vids with it

Our Favorite Game Franchises, 10 Years from Today - Look what's number one ;]

Kuroyume

Banned
Man, sucks that other modes don't have dynamic music like the new flood mode. I think the music will add a lot to the feeling of playing it. Already got a sense of that from the video.

ZalinKrow

I was thinkin' earlier, now that we're getting this map run-through thing every Tuesday and Thursday, we'll have Halo content 4 days a week, right? We've got bulletins on Wednesdays and FUD is going to be every Friday? So that's pretty sweet.

Also, I agree that Abandon looks to be one of the weaker maps shown. As pretty as everything in H4 looks, we're going to get used to that eventually and then it'll be down to which maps are the most fun. Seems like a map I may end up voting against a lot after a while.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone remember how they changed the line from 'You picked one hell of a day to join up' to "welcome to reach"?

Such a letdown :'(

I hope the script is a bit more... badass with halo 4.
but prolly not. no cussing, there are babbbbbies who play halo

Overdoziz

Banned
Man, sucks that other modes don't have dynamic music like the new flood mode. I think the music will add a lot to the feeling of playing it. Already got a sense of that from the video.
I dislike music during multiplayer matches, I just want to hear what's going on around me. Doubt you'd be able to turn it off though...

I dislike music during multiplayer matches, I just want to hear what's going on around me. Doubt you'd be able to turn it off though...

I honestly wouldn't be so sure buddy. If it's in custom games I doubt it'll be a toggle. Rather, there'll be some option where you can change what music plays and at what duration, and there'll just be a simple "none" option if absolutely necessary.

I was thinkin' earlier, now that we're getting this map run-through thing every Tuesday and Thursday, we'll have Halo content 4 days a week, right? We've got bulletins on Wednesdays and FUD is going to be every Friday? So that's pretty sweet.

Also, I agree that Abandon looks to be one of the weaker maps shown. As pretty as everything in H4 looks, we're going to get used to that eventually and then it'll be down to which maps are the most fun. Seems like a map I may end up voting against a lot after a while.

One thing I think many people are underestimating is how far fun core gameplay can go to making even the worst gametypes/maps playable.

Example:
-Imagine playing Chiron in Reach? lol.. That map was INSANE for 4v4+ KotH and OB.

Looking at the overall stronger, faster and more fluid gameplay we're getting in Halo 4 brings comfort in believing that all the maps will play fun, in at least some way or another. No more shitty maps regardless of what you're playing on it (The Cage).

Overdoziz

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be so sure buddy. If it's in custom games I doubt it'll be a toggle. Rather, there'll be some option where you can change what music plays and at what duration, and there'll just be a simple "none" option if absolutely necessary.
What?
I'm talking about audio settings in the options menu.

Edit: Also, I'm not your buddy, chum.

JackHerer

Yea I'd rather it be completely silent and you only hear real stuff, footprints, gunshots, jumps, deaths, explosions.

I can imagine it will get old to hear the same music play at the end of every match as well.

I like to play with a nice pair of headphones so that I can hear everything crystal clear. Music could really get in the way of that. Not a huge complaint, but I definitely would appreciate a toggle for things like this.

It doesn't seem like 343 puts a huge priority on stuff like that. Which seems odd given their decision to emphasize how they are focusing on player choices with changes like custom load outs.

heckfu

Banned
I can't believe they deleted all the weapon and gameplay noises to replace it with super loud music. What a poor decision.

willow ve

Still not as bad as Medal of Honor though.

Game needs to have ABOUT TO KILL ENEMY, KILLING AN ENEMY, KILLED AN ENEMY as white text in the center or I will cancel this preorder.

And I'm still waiting for Steitzer to record "1 SHOT ON MY X" to be played any time someone on your team dies.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think the MP music is cool, but I'd prefer that it wasn't there. I hope it doesn't start to feel too repetitive.

What?
I'm talking about audio settings in the options menu.

Edit: Also, I'm not your buddy, chum.

My mistake, I thought you just meant in general. Custom settings, probably, audio sliders? No idea... CEA didn't have them if that changes anything.

I'm not your chum, guy!

CAMPING ON P1!!

We need an announcement if someone's using bad conduct in a match.

HEY GUYS THIS DUDE'S CAMPING OVER HERE *kill waypoint* GO GET HIM EVERYONE BETRAYAL PENALTIES ARE OFF UNTIL HE DIES

Satchel

Banned
I'd have no problem with the flood being used as a story element. Just not gameplay.

Even then, I've come to realise that the flood aren't so bad as an enemy class. It's the levels they were in and their overuse that sucked.

If handled properly, in we'll designed levels, the flood could be good.

I'd have no problem with the flood being used as a story element. Just not gameplay.

Even then, I've come to realise that the flood aren't so bad as an enemy class. It's the levels they were in and their overuse that sucked.

If handled properly, in we'll designed levels, the flood could be good.

Couldn't agree more.. Case in point, 343 Guilty Spark.

Are you frikkin kidding me Amazon?? And I thought eBay was overpriced with $40+.......

Vire

Thank you, hope it stays like that.

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense. Confetti sparks for killing a king? :lol

It would have been funny if you had a real crown on your head that get's toppled over when you die.

Grunt Birthday party is great as a skull, but keep that shit out of MP. Got old real fast.

Top Bottom