• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pewdiepie Says He's Going To Stop Making Nazi Jokes After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makonero

Earlier this year, YouTube's biggest star sparked controversy after Disney severed ties with him over jokes about Jewish people and Nazis. At the time, Felix ‘Pewdiepie' Kjellberg apologized but continued to make many Nazi references in defiance to the outrage. Months later, Kjellberg says he has a different perspective about those jokes and says he's no longer going to make them.

”At this point, I'd really just want to distance myself from all of this," Kjellberg said. ”I remember back when everything happened in February, I was sort of like, ‘I mean, they're just jokes. There's not actual Nazis out there, what are you talking about?' And then I look at this, and I'm like oh, I see. OK!"

The ”this" he is referring to are the events in Charlottesville, Virginia, when torch-wielding white supremacists held a rally that got violent and resulted in a counter-protester being killed. Like many of us, Kjellberg watched in horror, and in a recent vlog update, he says that the events at the rally made him reconsider his approach to humor.

”It sort of gave me a little bit of perspective, because technically I got grouped in with these people somehow," Kjellberg said.

”Believe it or not, I want nothing to do with these people," Kjellberg continued. ”I have no hate in my heart. I only have hate for hateful people."

”So I thought now would be a good time as any to say, I want nothing to do with these people," Kjellberg said. ”I don't think anyone that watches me think I'm an actual Nazi, but I know that some people might have some doubts, mainly because of all the jokes that I've been making."

More here

How does PewDiePie condemn this better/more than our current president? Not that I don't think he has more responsibility that he admits to here. He's definitely stoked the flames and has a super large impressionable audience.

Hope he keeps to this promise.

Also, comments from his fans:

”You are letting liars dictate what you say," one commenter wrote. ”You're apologizing for something you're​ not... I liked you because you didn't let lies change you and didn't treat your fans like idiots (who couldn't tell what's a joke)."

”PewdieCuck!!," another wrote. ”Get your own voice PewdieCuck!! Now you have got to be careful with every word you say just to not upset the others. Boooo."

kiguel182

Turns our racism and Nazis didn’t disappear. What a surprise right guys?

Ugh, he perpetuated this and pandered to that audience. Too little too late.

Platy

"I’m gonna stop doing it,” Kjellberg said. “Nazi memes are not even that funny anymore. It’s sort of a dead meme. So, just to make it clear. No more. OK?"

...they WERE funny ?

dear god

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I like Pewdiepie, hopefully this issue will be laid to rest now. He never did deserve as much hate as he got and still gets, IMO.

brian!

imagining him scrolling through images from the rally
he's making those signature faces but no it's not for money this time

TissueBox

It's funny how several people still are so detached from this bubbling sociopolitical crisis that they don't even find it 'real'... in a way that's what logic would dictate. But in this world, yes, neo-Nazis are serious and organized and not joking around.

I've never watched PDP, and all I knew about him was from Retsupurae mocking him because of his terrible rape jokes. I heard that he had stopped making them so I gained some respect for him, but then he somehow became a symbol for nazis. Not really willing to give him a third chance tbh.

I mean... baby steps? I thought he'd just keep backsliding further into "STOP CRITICIZING ME" mode so I'll take this. I'm sure not gonna rake him over the coals over this statement. Is it a day late and a dollar short? Maybe. But still better late than never, I guess.

"Dont let others tell you what to say! Instead bow down to us and repeat the same phrases like cuck and snowflake over and over and sound like everyone else!"

Mask

Yeah, I'm not convinced. He's gonna slip up again, he seems too far with all the other stuff he's done, retweeting that gender pay gap guy and acting friendly with "alt-right" nutjobs.

DrBo42

"I’m gonna stop doing it,” Kjellberg said. “Nazi memes are not even that funny anymore. It’s sort of a dead meme. So, just to make it clear. No more. OK?"

Lol. Fuck off, Felix.

Guy who's made millions using the internet doesn't know how to Google to find out that Nazis still actually exist until Charlottesville happened.

HUH?

Zyae

Is it really hard to believe that a 27 year old living in a homogeneous white country and society could be oblivious to racism? I thought his original jokes were in very bad taste but this is the kind of response that we should be seeking from people.

oti

Banned
I like Pewdiepie, hopefully this issue will be laid to rest now. He never did deserve as much hate as he got and still gets, IMO.

A guy who didn't think Nazis were real and "that meme isn't funny more anyway lolz" sure deserves more love.

What the fuck is up with this fucking generation.

blakep267

He just doesn't want to be associated since it's "real" now. He has no problem making the jokes of nobodies getting killed. So he's still garbage

IHaveIce

Banned
Piece of shit using a recent topic that is hot in the media as PR for himself.

This should not be an anouncement, this should just be the bare minimum

The_Kid

Not even an apology?

Honestly it reads more like he doesn't want it to tarnish his brand in the long run than any actual remorse going on.

I've heard many google executives say how he's a pretty good professional, and they enjoyed working with him. That's why I've always thought of him as a good guy until that stupid incident he helped make worse back then.

Good to know he sees how bad things really are but fuck sake, you're a fucking adult with access to the internet. I'm glad he now knows better and he should stop living in a white bubble and get more informed, stat.

He should stop making jokes altogether. I don't have a problem with anyone making a joke with the word "Nazi" in it. However, dressing up like a Nazi, making people hold up signs that says "Kill All Jews"...who the fuck found that funny to begin with other than...Nazis??

Alucrid

Banned
“At this point, I’d really just want to distance myself from all of this,” Kjellberg said. “I remember back when everything happened in February, I was sort of like, ‘I mean, they’re just jokes. There’s not actual Nazis out there, what are you talking about?’ And then I look at this, and I’m like oh, I see. OK!”

fuck this dude.

TheSun

I'll give him a week.

None the less, as people said already, this is bare minimum stuff.
He should've known better.

Ponn

Banned
Didn't he make stupid jokes the night of the tiki torch march? While Nazi were marching, and throwing salutes.

Yuuuup, sure did. But hey guys lets give him a fifth or sixth, whatever chance we are on with this "Hey guys I just didn't know even though i'm right in the fucking middle of it so it wasn't really my fault. Please don't associate me with Nazis now that they are killing people. Thanks, like and subscribe." apology.

And then next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom