• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Penguin

Ha I remember thinking that 400 million WW total wouldn't be an outright disaster for DC/WB

And here we are looking at just 400 million in the States.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Sony was doing a promotion for Baby Driver here (which still hasn't opened), giving away Avant Premiere tickets via Uber rides. Fitting.
sadly I was too late and none where available when I checked :(

Last Jedi is going to gross $650m domestic and there will be meltdowns.
That's what I thought it'd do a while ago, but it's definitely doing far more now due to the "actor's last movie" effect.

I am just continually surprised every time we hit 1k posts for the week this year. Before this year we had maybe 10 threads total over that 1k mark (most of them related to the Avengers, TFA, and BvS) and xaosslug has been doing this for close to 10 years.

For whatever reason, more people decided to follow along this year.
There is also far more varied subtopics this year, like whatever the coffee thing was about some pages back :p

PoliGAF is still the king. As an example, the latest thread has 1,723 posts since its reboot yesterday.

Outside of Toonami, PoliGAF, and sports, the bigger ongoing community threads with reboots include COMICS! and the Black Culture Thread.

If you want a monster of an ongoing OT thread, the Dragon Ball Super thread is it.
The SteamCommunity is pretty strong too. Has been having monthly threads for *years* and they hit 20k posts each with ease (some months even had multiple threads, plus all the sale threads).

Of the older ones, I remember the Smash Dojo update threads being super crazy as well (they ended up breaking GAF more than once IIRC)

...They're making another He-Man movie?
It's... it's gonna bomb, right?
FTFY

No Queen this time though :(

Frozen's reception on GAF was quite positive at release. Then everyone else liked the film.
I still remember the Let It Go thread, looks pretty funny in retrospective.

This thread saw better attendance than Valerian's opening, so there weren't many people to turn.
Savage.

kswiston

Before I forget, if I'm not around to post early numbers or reply to people's posts this weekend, I'm not dead. Just driving across the continent.

It's the American remake of the French hit The Intouchables.

I guess they decided that the original title wouldn't work well for a US audience. I can't say I disagree.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I guess they decided that the original title wouldn't work well for a US audience. I can't say I disagree.
The 'Intouchables' title was the stupidest shit. 'The' followed by a French word is literal nonsense to an English speaking audience. I understand why they didn't want to release it as 'The Untouchables' to avoid confusion but that wasn't an acceptable solution.

The 'Intouchables' title was the stupidest shit. 'The' followed by a French word is literal nonsense to an English speaking audience. I understand why they didn't want to release it as 'The Untouchables' to avoid confusion but that wasn't an acceptable solution.

Well 'Untouchable' has been the tentative tile for this American remake. I guess they're not completely sold on using that.

Have you seen the original? Hart doesn't make sense at all if they are aiming for the tone of the original.

Nah, I haven't seen it but plan on doing so. I'm pretty certain changes are going to be made in adapting this to an American audience and to accommodate the talents they're using.

Kevin Hart was probably cast because he's Black, a hot comedian right now, and a box office draw.

Omar Sy is unbelievably charismatic in The Intouchables. Going with Kevin Hart is an odd choice to go but not unexpected if they want his fanbase to show.

Busty

Banned
busty said:
So 2019 could bring Shazam, Suicidal Squad 2 and Wonder Woman 2 with the open November slot possibly bringing Batgirl or maybe even Justice League Dark...,

-- assuming that WB don't distribute the next Bond film and slot it in that DC November date .

I wrote the above post in the DCEU OT thread this morning and now, having taken a step back to consider it, I think Warners and MGM are going to announce a new deal to distribute Bond films in the next week with the 'DCU November 2019 slot' now going to the next Bond film.

I'm going to go as far as to say that the next Bond won't just include the films but WB Games handling a slate of new Bond video games too.

JLynn

Eh if BP is good (given the people involved I have no doubt about that), it will be a runaway success. Getting that black crowd alone will be huge I think.

#blackpanthersolit is a social media train that has no brakes. Over a year later and the hashtag still getting tweets!

Combined with my mom wanting to see it (Who can't stand superhero movies)? Yeah, it'll be huge.

kswiston

Code:
			First 5 Days	Next 23 Days
Transformers 5		$68.5M		$57.2M
Baby Driver		$29.6M		$56.8M

Tomorrow, Baby Driver passes Transformers for total gross after that initial 5-day weekend, despite opening at 43% of TF5's 5-day total.

Lima

Code:

Tomorrow, Baby Driver passes Transformers for total gross after that initial 5-day weekend, despite opening at 43% of TF5's 5-day total.

What a time to be alive and all that.

Toa TAK

Banned
Code:

Looks like there was more to Baby Driver

Than meets the eye.

Looks like there was more to Baby Driver

Than meets the eye.

giphy.gif

BumRush

Code:

Unbelievable...I guess I shouldn't be surprised but before they released I never would have believed this possible.

Lima

Good to know we are still getting Disney movies outside of Marvel, Star Wars and animation. Just saw the trailer for A Wrinkle In Time. I'm intrigued.

kswiston

Please tell me that Apes hasn't launched in a heckton of countries because that 177M ww looks dreadful.

Australia 27 July 2017
Poland 28 July 2017
France 2 August 2017
Argentina 3 August 2017
Brazil 3 August 2017
Colombia 3 August 2017
Germany 3 August 2017
Paraguay 3 August 2017
Austria 4 August 2017
South Korea 15 August 2017
Japan 13 October 2017

Plus China. Probably in September. It's still pretty bad though.

Top Bottom