• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof in the Works at HBO [update: pilot ordered]

More people apparently need to watch The Leftovers because after that I will follow Lindelof to the ends of the Earth.

Sometimes a dude strikes gold like Leftovers. Sometimes he's working on Cowboys & Aliens and Tomorrowland.

Let not act like Lindelof's track record is one to laud.

Leftovers was good but honestly that finale was crap and kind of left me feeling a bit (unfairly) meh on the whole series when I was going into that final season loving it

I love that watchmen is being adapted as an hbo series but lindelof is still wack

Ross61

Leftovers was good but honestly that finale was crap and kind of left me feeling a bit (unfairly) meh on the whole series when I was going into that final season loving it

I love that watchmen is being adapted as an hbo series but lindelof is still wack

You are a unique guy Disco.

The Leftover's S3 isn't getting shown here in the UK until July but considering S1 and S2 are up there with my all time favourites, I'll be there day one for anything Lindleof has coming next. Anything. The fact its a potential Watchmen mini series just blows my mind.

If Snyder directed one too that would be cool

whoa.png

Sometimes a dude strikes gold like Leftovers. Sometimes he's working on Cowboys & Aliens and Tomorrowland.

While you're right about his overall track record, his TV work has obviously proved to be quite different than his movie work. It's not like Hollywood isn't known to meddle with writers' projects either. In general I just trust the TV work he has had more involvement in over his weird summer blockbusters.

Sir Doom

At least it's not CW
because there will tech crew for Nite OWL
And Laurie will have a plot willl they be together or not

Nameless

Dropped the book, hated the film, hard pass on this. That world and those characters bore me to tears save for Dr. Manhattan's powers.

If we're judging him on TV projects, he's got more hits than misses. I feel like it's misleading to consider something like Cowboys and Aliens to have the same predictive weight as the show he just wrapped with this same network.

Blader

Lindelof was the lead creative force on The Leftovers. He was definitely not on Cowboys & Aliens. He was more so in Tomorrowland but ultimately that was still Brad Bird's project.

I've also long thought that Lindelof's writing sensibilities are just better suited to TV than film.

Slayven

I thought Reed could not stretch really. I was under the impression he was warping space around him. Or was that only in that terrible movie that wanted to throw away 40 years of established super abilities?

That sounds like the twist on his powers in the What if The Fantastic Four was Russian?.

Monocle

I'm not sure what to think about this, but if nothing else I can stare at Dr. Manhattan's bod a lot. Assuming they make him look good.

Dropped the book, hated the film, hard pass on this. That world and those characters bore me to tears save for Dr. Manhattan's powers.
The best part was the ending and the ramp up to it, so...

This is true. In the deep dives into the finale's writing process we heard about how Tom Perotta (the author of the Leftovers novel) and the rest of the writers room talked Damon out of a (IMO) disastrous decision for the finale.

It's not that he's not a genius, he just needs anchored folks around him to bring him back to earth.

Dead

well not really...yet
What if they adapt before Watchmen too. Can get multiple seasons out of it, and piss off Alan Moore maybe?

People who shit on Snyder's movie are delusional. It's the closest novel to movie translation anyone was going to get and it has some very strong performances. But you can't please everyone now can you.

Holy shit, look at all of the people in this thread who haven't watched The Leftovers.

It's (very) arguably the greatest TV show of the past decade.

The first season can be a struggle at times to get through, but the second season is essentially perfection, and the third season is wonderful. Watch it if you haven't.

Leftovers is one of the best shows of all time

I'm still skeptical. But hey, Snyder's Watchmen was pretty good and every other thing he's done since is pretty much trash.

Top Bottom