• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy IV heading to iOS soon [Update: DS based, Screenshots]

Heropon

It seems that Square Enix loves spitting on us FFV fans giving this game as much ports as possible. I'm going to cry in a corner a bit more.

They could have announced it a week earlier at least!

kitzkozan

Argh make V and VI for 3DS, for fucks sake.

I want some form of consistency in one way or another. Either give us a remake in a manner similar to FF III or 2D style like IV complete collection. I'm now wondering if SE will actually port over this new version to the PSP/Vita like they did with III. I wouldn't mind actually getting this new version for the Vita if they did happen to release remake of V and VI in the same mold.

Stuart444

I love FFIV and I love the DS version of it but seriously? ANOTHER port of it?

Who in SE loves FFIV enough to keep their team on it porting it to every platform possible? Next up, Vita version, 3DS version, Wii U version... all based on the PSP version followed up with the DS version the very next year.

Aeana

At least they're basing it on the best version. Interesting that they're doing difficulty levels, I guess people did complain a lot about the difficulty. I think the increased difficulty is one of the major reasons why it's the best version, though.

Stuart444

At least they're basing it on the best version. Interesting that they're doing difficulty levels, I guess people did complain a lot about the difficulty. I think the increased difficulty is one of the major reasons why it's the best version, though.

Honestly, if it had an even harder difficulty, I might have gotten it again >_> was disappointed that they are only adding an easier difficulty

whoa, Aeana's a mod now

Glsd it's the DS version. Also interesting that the release date is exactly 5 years after FF4DS came out in Japan.

Agree that the increased difficulty made this game pretty intense and a lot of fun.

Oemenia

Banned
Finally, been waiting for this for so long. Also why no PSP release of this yet, FFIII performed well.

All we need now is Tactics Ogre.

Seeing how nice the jump to IOS made FF III DS look, IV should look damn snazzy. Who knows, it might spawn a quick and easy Vita port if we are lucky. I am kind of burned out on FF IV though. But the DS version of IV is the absolute best imo so I don't mind as much.

jorgeton

This is pretty cool, IMO. I'm a little bored of the 2d iterations of FFIV, but the DS versions added a bunch of new things to freshen it up. And surprisingly not bad voice acting. Will def. pick it up if it hits the Ipad.

Wilsongt

Eh...

I love FFIV, but I am almost getting annoyed by the FFIV love from Square-Enix. Won't be diving in since I never finished the DS version.

My favorite part of the DS remake is actually the opening CG video.
Dat music.
Dat Rydia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lIJuTOrrn0

That video makes me want a HD version of FFIV with similar character design and graphics.

Oh man, I know right :)

In my perfect world, it'd have FFXII gambit combat with all 5 characters to manage.

The closest we'll get to the visual realization is probably Dissidia - Cecil, Kain, and Golbez looked good in that. Pretty accurate too, to the original Amano design.

Sax_Man

Banned
Everything Square Enix does these days makes me lament for what was once an innovative, influential game company.

Nice, it's based on the best version of FFIV as FFIV Complete left me kinda cold strangely due to it being not as difficult as the DS version.

Waiting to see the price on this but yeah, both FFV an FFVI definitely deserve at least some form of remake - whether it's the DS version or FFIV Complete version.

jackal27

Banned
YO DAWG WE HEARD U LIKE REMAKES

Honestly though, I really want a new Final Fantasy remake from Matrix Software. I would love to see a 3DS remake of Final Fantasy 6. I feel like that game doesn't get much love from Square.

atbigelow

Interested in getting this, as the DS version was nearly unplayable for me due to the shitty framerate.

Also of note, when the hell can I get FF Dimensions for Android? Been waiting on that for months now. I have a DualShock 3 attached to my Nexus7 in preparation.

Berordn

- Completely redrawn graphics
- GBA translation (not sure about this)
- No FFIV GBA content (also not sure about this)
- Interlude episode and "full sequel" included.

The PSP version had a translation based on the GBA translation, but using terminology to be consistent with the DS translation (twin lute is whisperweed, etc). It also had all the GBA content, so you could party swap for the final dungeon and had the post-game dungeon with Zeromus EG.

Tex117

Banned
This is great news, don't get me wrong, but why do they hate their best games?

FFVI, Vagrant Story, FFVII, etc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FF5 has 20th anniversary. Re-release FF4 on another platform. Good idea.

I guess they need more money.

FF5 gets no respect. Magius sad.

But XIII series gets yearly celebrations. I see nothing wrong with that.

This is great news, don't get me wrong, but why do they hate their best games?

FFVI, Vagrant Story, FFVII, etc.

I am willing to forgive you if you say you forgot to include FFV.

Esura

Banned

I still have yet to get pass Barbariccia in FFIVDS at the same level I beat her at on FFIV Advance. Wish they made the increased difficulty an optional mode or something.

Branson

Speaking of older FF in general, are those ones on sale worth 3.99? I've never really played an older rpg like that. My experience with FF is limited to 7 for like 10 hrs and ffx for around the same. Should I just try Dimensions first and see if I like that style?

Also I'm going to assume they are not iPhone 5 optimized?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speaking of older FF in general, are those ones on sale worth 3.99? I've never really played an older rpg like that. My experience with FF is limited to 7 for like 10 hrs and ffx for around the same. Should I just try Dimensions first and see if I like that style?

No. I wouldn't play Dimensions.

Is FFIV Sequel any good? I am too scare to play it, I don't want it to ruin FF4 story for me :(

It's absolute garbage. An unbalanced mess of good intentions that come together in something that feels like a fan hack of FF IV. As a big FF IV fan I say avoid After Years.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's absolute garbage. An unbalanced mess of good intentions that come together in something that feels like a fan hack of FF IV. As a big FF IV fan I say avoid After Years.

I must agree. It really is. It's disjointed with each of the separate chapters and the new music for me I just can't stand to listen to. Couldn't really tell what I was listening to.

It just felt really bland and didn't move me at all and had such a ridiculously huge cast that lacked much if any development at all.

I quote the Fake GILGAMESH, my stomach was hurting.

wulff83

Neo Member
I'm dreading this thing being on Android just because of how bad Chrono Trigger plays on it.

Otherwise, I don't mind it. FF4 PSP is the one I haven't played, being as I had sold my PSP by the time it came out. I do, however, have 5 other iterations of the game. SNES FFII, PSX FFIV (Japanese), PSX FFChronicles, GBA FFIV, and DS FFIV.

They probably chose the DS version to put on iOS for two major reasons: 1) The resolution of the game is easier to move to iOS, as it's 3D models and not sprite-based, and 2) They spent more money on the development of FFIVDS than they did on FFIVPSP and want to milk that development process for as much money as possible. Other possible reasons could be that the follow-up to FFIV didn't do so well and that FFIVDS is the most complete version of the story.

EDIT: Just realized that it's not going to Android right away, but iOS. Edited for that reason.

FF IV DS probably has some of the best gameplay in the series once you reach the moon. I swear, I had to utilize almost any and every skill in my arsenal to get through even the normal encounters. Every battle forced me to think about how I would make it out alive. I would have to use buffs and debuffs or die miserably. Which I think is pretty cool, as those skills often go unused in FF games for me. The trek to the final boss felt incredibly epic for this reason.

Yeah. Ds one was pretty challenging. But I don't recall ever doing much grinding though.

Was it this one that had that kinda shitty/broken inheriting system thingy?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I love FFIV, but I am almost getting annoyed by the FFIV love from Square-Enix.
It's even more annoying considering it was FF5's anniversary yesterday!

This is true. TAY had some interesting concepts, but at the end of the day, it isn't a very cohesive game at all.

But are Dwarfs as tough as Moms?
We are talking about a game where people blow themselves up and splatter their guts all over the explosion site, yet somehow miraculously come back to life/survive with their bodies in near-pristine condition.

When you take that into consideration...

I hope they have the option to go both widescreen (DS Top) or split screen (DS Top & Bottom). That map and info on the bottom was nice. Also, Rydia's Math Minute.

How did Snow survive that fall anyway? Is he tougher than mom?

oh yeah, this game did have a map. how did they do it for FF3 on ios/android?

Aru

The PSP version had a translation based on the GBA translation, but using terminology to be consistent with the DS translation (twin lute is whisperweed, etc). It also had all the GBA content, so you could party swap for the final dungeon and had the post-game dungeon with Zeromus EG.

The post-game dungeon is probably there, but I'm pretty sure you can't change your party in the final dungeon. And if you can, you can't use characters like Palom and Porom.

ferr

I'll get this and all, but I'd love it if FFV got a port. Although I should say since FFT is on iOS, there's nothing more that I need.

Top Bottom