• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

Am I the only one that prefers the PSU in a brick rather than in the console? I'd prefer to keep as much heat away from the console as possible, and cut down on as much noise as possible.

I assume if they put it in the box it would be:

a) bigger
b) hotter
c) louder

It is annoying to have to find space for it, but that inconvenience is worth it IMO.

Maybe a hardware refresh in a few years will give us a slim version with:

* No optical drive
* 500GB or 1 TB SSD
* Internal PSU, with quiet cooling and not a tremendous amount of heat

Edit: Yeah also what Woo-Fu said re: being able to produce same hardware for different regions and just swap out the brick instead of the whole PSU - easier manufacturing. Plus as others have mentioned if an internal PSU goes bad that's a bigger deal than buying a new power brick.

Does anyone think PS4 will have an internal PSU? I would be very surprised with that much power under the hood. The thing would be a beast of a box.

heyf00L

Am I the only one that prefers the PSU in a brick rather than in the console? I'd prefer to keep as much heat away from the console as possible, and cut down on as much noise as possible.

a) bigger
b) hotter
c) louder

It is annoying to have to find space for it, but that inconvenience is worth it IMO.

I prefer it, too. I can stash it away easily enough. The Xbox brick is pretty dang big, though.

gfunkera

Banned

a) bigger
b) hotter
c) louder

Maybe a hardware refresh in a few years will give us a slim version with:

* No optical drive
* 500GB or 1 TB SSD
* Internal PSU, with quiet cooling and not a tremendous amount of heat
Yeah, I don't really care if the brick is external, but this one is so big.

*that's what she said*

Raist

Banned
http://www.psmania.net/2013/05/sizing-up-the-console-war-xbox-one-dimensions-revealed/

If this is to be believed then the Xbox One is:

• +9.1% volume of 360
  • +35.0% volume of 360-Slim
  • -21.9% volume of PS3
  • +32.0% volume of PS3-Slim

So slightly bigger than first 360, much smaller than first PS3.

Volume calculations are a bit pointless since the PS3 isn't a brick like the XB1. At the end of the day, it's a bit wider and a bit shorter. Even these measures were taken from the image I'm thinking off, they were on the lowest range too.

Doodis

Of all the things to be worried about, people are calling this a disaster? GAF really will find anything and everything to complain about. SMH.

watership

So all told it's actually only 2 inches wider than the 360?

Wait it's actually SMALLER than a 360!??

iGXKoGm6xMJhL.gif

marrec

Banned
Of all the things to be worried about, people are calling this a disaster? GAF really will find anything and everything to complain about. SMH.

I don't know who's being serious and who's being sarcastic.

It is scary that some people are being serious though... it's a brave new world we live in console warriors.

RMI

Banned
looks about the same as the old ugly horrible power brick. This is not a big deal, just stick it behind the entertainment center somewhere or use it to reinforce one of the walls in your house or whatever.

SuperSah

Banned
Ugliest console ever also gains it's own ugly power brick to fit right in.

No issue with the brick, but did they really have to design it the same way they did the console? It looks weird.

marrec

Banned
Ugliest console ever also gains it's own ugly power brick to fit right in.

No issue with the brick, but did they really have to design it the same way they did the console? It looks weird.

Man, say what you want about the egregious DRM or the expanded functional focus of the Xbox One... but it's a beautiful box. I really hope the PS4 looks as good, or I'll end up with the uglier of the two consoles.

Novak

Did some pixel counting.
If disc slot is 13cm like on my Mac Mini, then width is approx 31.7cm, and height approx 7cm (this one is harder to approximate
Xbox slim is 27cm x 7.5cm

FyreWulff

I'd prefer MS to do external power bricks because they decided that internal power supplies should not be shielded at all.

They just left that thing completely exposed once you opened up the console. More dangerous than it needed to be just to save a couple of bucks in metal

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Shhh .. it's actually smaller. But people like to pretend.

GAF has become GameFAQs. Some of the posts and shit in almost EVERY XO thread are fucking pathetic.

Pardon?

I mean it is close to the size of the OG 360, but let's not call it smaller (and yes I know this is based on usb width, but this is a good starting point).

SuperSah

Banned
Man, say what you want about the egregious DRM or the expanded functional focus of the Xbox One... but it's a beautiful box. I really hope the PS4 looks as good, or I'll end up with the uglier of the two consoles.

Not sure how an inconsistently patterned black rectangle is beautiful, but hey ho.

yawn... its a power brick..

they bundle it separately so it's easier to ship to other countries that use different power requirements..

like anyone really cares since its behind the tv set or in the cabinet..

Dunlop

Agreed. The XOne doesn't impress me and I will most likely not be getting one but the negativity for anything XOne related is getting out of hand.

It's actually become my hobby surfing here nowadays. People tripping over themselves spinning everything MS does as a negative when some of the announcements are to address what the same people are bitching about in the first place.

I've been a member for a while but I must not have been here during the last console launches because this place feels like a completely different site.

Concerning the power brick, what is the actual concern, my wires are always hidden behind my AV unit or whatever, is there a situation where the brick needs to be in plain site?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
like anyone really cares since its behind the tv set or in the cabinet..

I do care, the 360 power brick was one of the reasons I had to have my shelf unit pushed further away from the wall than I would have like (I wanted it flush!). Now with both the XBO and PS4 probably using power bricks, I need to do some new arranging.

Takuya

Banned
It's actually become my hobby surfing here nowadays. People tripping over themselves spinning everything MS does as a negative when some of the announcements are to address what the same people are bitching about in the first place.

It's not hard to spin a negative into a negative.

Raide

No issues with the 360 one, I don't see any issues with this one. I would rather have better internal cooling for the console than try to cram in the PSU.

34.3 < 30.9

26.3 < 25.8

You heard it here first.

Pardon?

I mean it is close to the size of the OG 360, but let's not call it smaller (and yes I know this is based on usb width, but this is a good starting point).

I remember glancing at a post, maybe I'm just remembering it smaller than the PS3 which it is.

My Bad. Either way it's about the same size as a 360 and smaller than a PS3 but it doesn't detract from wonderful contributors such as:

Consider the console's size I kind of assumed it was built it.

It's that big and it still needs a power brick?

Jesus Christ.

It better be built in for how large the system itself is
KuGsj.gif

This console is massive on all aspects... it will have problems on all markets except the american (and even there...).

Jeez, if I were to get the Xbox One, with the weight of the TV Adapter-thing, console, Kinect & Power cinder block, my desk would collapse into itself.

how is it that big and with no internal power supply?

How the HELL is it that big and the power brick still isn't inside it?

that brick is fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuuge

and the console is fucking huuuuuuuuuuuuge

like xbox 1 huge

wait fuck

SMFH.

When it rains, it fucking pours.

What a fucking disaster.

I'll gladly hate on anything xbox, but an external powerbrick is good... it's a big source of heat and keeping it out of the box allows the box to be more quiet.

(not that this saved the xbox 360 from sounding like a jet engine mating with a hairdryer during a tornado)

There is no powerbrick for the Xbox One, there is also no power supply unit internally. The Xbox One will be powered by the cloud.

Top Bottom