• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Offseason thread |OT| - Servicing Us Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

Give me cook. A good run game will make Wentz job 10000% easier. Just look at Dallas.

Yeah Cook's probably my #1. Cook > Davis > Williams. If none of them are available, then I'd have to see who fell. If there's a really good edge rusher or Reuben Foster available, I'd take them. Otherwise, trade back and draft a CB

New improved and Bionic approved.
giphy.gif

squicken

That's a great GIF, Paper. Hopefully 2017 really is the year of 8-8. I heard CLE's new DC already wants to fight Grossi so this may indeed be the year

The lack of a legitimate #2 caught up with the Steelers. We went into the off-season with a potential lineup of Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, Ladarius Green, Marcus Wheaton and DHB/Coates to polish it off. And we ended the season with Antonio Brown, Jesse James and a bunch of guys off the practice squad. People can try and blame Ben all they want, but there's a reason why our offense was good for yardage until the red zone, and that's the fact that we didn't have legitimate receiving threats to break coverage and get open. That's not to say that the practice squad guys didn't help, but there's a reason they didn't see the field until the starting roster got decimated.

Having said that, I'm a hell of a lot more confident about our team heading into next season than I was with this team heading into this season. And that's due to the fact that our defense progressed a lot faster than I had initially expected. It could still use some work, and I wouldn't be against canning Butler if we could find a better option, but I think it's definitely heading in the right direction. I think we're a free agent pickup or two, and a solid draft away from having a team that's pretty well rounded across the board - and barring any injuries - I wouldn't be surprised to see us vying for another Super Bowl next year.

I mostly agree. I shit on Ben a lot, but the receiving roster did have a lot of turnover.

That said, We underachieved this season, even with the turnover at wide receiver. Steelers weren't the first team to have injured wideouts, but they still couldn't deal until they gave the offense over to Le'Veon. I said this to Packers fans when they made this stupid assessment, and I'll say it about Ben - your RB getting touches should not ruin you for the passing game.

Next year, more than anything what I want from this team is 16 games out of Ben. We need the 1 or 2 seed in the AFC to properly contend. The league had a few years were the low seeded teams ran havoc (in fact, that trend started with Ben and the Steelers) but now you need that bye. You need that extra rest and shortcut to glory. The defense is rapidly improving, the O-line is God Tier, we have a franchise QB, RB, and WR, let's fill out the roster, stay healthy, and dominate.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So we all agree that 2016 was just a really boring year for the NFL right? I don't remember too many great weekends

Giants were real interesting to watch this season. They played like shit for 45 minutes and you swear they were going to lose big yet they were always 10 points up.

The worst running attack I have ever seen and I have seen some awful Patriot rbs.

Giants haven't had a decent offensive line in a long time..

Draxal

Giants were real interesting to watch this season. They played like shit for 45 minutes and you swear they were going to lose big yet they were always 10 points up.

The worst running attack I have ever seen and I have seen some awful Patriot rbs.

Giants offense was Beckham on a slant for a TD and nothing else.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mostly agree. I shit on Ben a lot, but the receiving roster did have a lot of turnover.

That said, We underachieved this season, even with the turnover at wide receiver. Steelers weren't the first team to have injured wideouts, but they still couldn't deal until they gave the offense over to Le'Veon. I said this to Packers fans when they made this stupid assessment, and I'll say it about Ben - your RB getting touches should not ruin you for the passing game.

Next year, more than anything what I want from this team is 16 games out of Ben. We need the 1 or 2 seed in the AFC to properly contend. The league had a few years were the low seeded teams ran havoc (in fact, that trend started with Ben and the Steelers) but now you need that bye. You need that extra rest and shortcut to glory. The defense is rapidly improving, the O-line is God Tier, we have a franchise QB, RB, and WR, let's fill out the roster, stay healthy, and dominate.
Considering the rest of the AFC North shit the bed and the Steelers still had to squeak in I'd say they underachieved.

Eleuin

Yeah if the cowboys made won the NFC it would've been the 4th straight year of top seeds meeting in the SB

Falcons had a bye so it still plays into the no more underdog trend

GB still needs a good ILB and to not draft CB busts

Tom Penny

Ben can't throw a lot in the playoffs. If he does he loses. Every RB on the Pats could tear their ACL and Brady would still have a good chance to beat you...

mnannola

So we all agree that 2016 was just a really boring year for the NFL right? I don't remember too many great weekends

The most boring playoffs I can remember. Only one really good game for the whole playoffs?

Hope the SB is at least interesting.

Line_HTX

No, worst season ever. Unwatchable as fuck.

Quality was the worst it's been. There was literally zero competition and close games. It's extremely stupid how much NE coasted with no effort.

Ben can't throw a lot in the playoffs. If he does he loses. Every RB on the Pats could tear their ACL and Brady would still have a good chance to beat you...

Asterisks do own the Steelers, but it's mainly because of the defense.

Every game Ben started against BRady he was mostly able to keep up but for the defense shedding points at will.

Tom Penny

Asterisks do own the Steelers, but it's mainly because of the defense.

Every game Ben started against BRady he was mostly able to keep up but for the defense shedding points at will.

It has nothing to do with the Pats. When Ben throws a lot in the playoffs they lose. He can't be counted on to throw a lot and he blows on the road.

Mortemis

Banned
My offseason brethren! Feels horrible good to be here. No idea how the hawks will turn out next year, could go really good or really bad. I don't have much faith in the FO in fixing the o-line, just gotta hope that they gel together and get better next year.

Quality was the worst it's been. There was literally zero competition and close games. It's extremely stupid how much NE coasted with no effort.

I wonder if the NFL cares about the drop in quality. Shit's been awful this year, and with these awful blowout playoff games I know people who would watch any game not bothering this year.

How can the NFL fix it? Bring back more practices before the season?

harSon

Banned

One of the biggest reasons they've been good for so long is the fact that their division is a noncompetitive dumpster fire. They're basically gifted 5-6 wins every season, and since their division is trash - they can afford to have growing pains through out the season since there's no fear of losing the division. Not to mention the fact that at worst, they're always guaranteed at least the 4th seed.

Striker

Giants offense was Beckham on a slant for a TD and nothing else.
So just like last year, and now minus Vereen.

Sad when Rueben Randle, Parker/Harris was more productive than Shepard/Cruz. I like Shepard so I am not down on him, but Cruz has got to go.

And for Tebow sake, get a real TE. He doesn't have to be an amazing receiver, just someone who can block and not fall on his head every pass.

squicken

Even the great Aaron Rodgers got rattled when his offensive line took all those injuries. Not a coincidence that ATL and NE had the two healthiest offensive lines this year. If 2016 was anything, and it was insanely boring and predictable, it is that no matter how important we thought offensive line play was, it is actually way more important

Pepiope

Even the great Aaron Rodgers got rattled when his offensive line took all those injuries. Not a coincidence that ATL and NE had the two healthiest offensive lines this year. If 2016 was anything, and it was insanely boring and predictable, it is that no matter how important we thought offensive line play was, it is actually way more important
Dallas had the best line though. Just didn't have Romo back there. Shame.

People acting surprised at the Packers losing is baffling to me. How far did anyone honestly think Rodgers' heroics was going to take them?

You need balance on offense. Pack had it in 2010, didn't this year. Rodgers had to pull plays out of his ass weekly to get this far. He can't do it alone.

That team needs work. The defense is a shambles and the running game is up in the air. Pack fans should be proud they got as far as they did, instead they wanna fire McCarthy because he couldn't turn water into wine.

squicken

Dallas had the best line though. Just didn't have Romo back there. Shame.

Free was a bit of a liability in pass protection but I do agree they were the top unit. And if anything, that unit was let down by the rest of the team and Garrett. Their snap count numbers are skewed b/c they rested players at the end of the year

harSon

Banned
So just like last year, and now minus Vereen.

Sad when Rueben Randle, Parker/Harris was more productive than Shepard/Cruz. I like Shepard so I am not down on him, but Cruz has got to go.

And for Tebow sake, get a real TE. He doesn't have to be an amazing receiver, just someone who can block and not fall on his head every pass.

I saw the avatar, and nearly shit my pants when I thought I had just witnessed a post from Gata with punctuation that was longer than one sentence.

Tom Penny

Steelers offensive line was better than the Pats but sure..

Tom Penny

One of the biggest reasons they've been good for so long is the fact that their division is a noncompetitive dumpster fire. They're basically gifted 5-6 wins every season, and since their division is trash - they can afford to have growing pains through out the season since there's no fear of losing the division. Not to mention the fact that at worst, they're always guaranteed at least the 4th seed.

Yet the Pats shit on the AFC North in the Brady era having to play their mighty division winner ever fucking year..More excuses please.

Line_HTX

Cowturds like Bronx ought to be tortured every postseason one and done.

Best records for nothing. Win it except when it really counts.

squicken

Steelers offensive line was better than the Pats but sure..

The Pats 2015 OL was way worse than the 2016 version, and they could not beat Denver because of that. Last year no Patriots offensive linemen took more than 77% of the offensive snaps. This year, none of the starting 5 took fewer than 90%. Scarnecchia is a great coach but so much of the turnaround this year is just orthopedics

someone celebrating and not whining, lol

who the fuck are you?

image.php

One thing i'm not is Vince Williams, the avatar you mockingly posted. Though I guess I don't blame you - I wouldn't expect a lifelong that only posted after the Championship weekend was sealed to know that.

Pepiope

Cowturds like Bronx ought to be tortured every postseason one and done.

Best records for nothing. Win it except when it really counts.
A fan named Bronx man who roots for the Cowboys definitely wouldn't deal with that torture. He'd just become a Pats fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom