• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else dislikes Nintendo's current love for washed out color schemes?

Yarbskoo

This is from Polygon's 17-minute gameplay video.

W900v02.jpg

I couldn't resist.
JODIHN9.jpg

Sorry, I'll leave now.

Vitet

It is.
You're supposed to follow the wind by lighting a torch and watching where it blows the embers.

Probably one of the coolest moments in the game when I figured that one out.

Lol no fucking way. I didn't realized that, I just go to every path, and go back really quickly when all started to fade out, until I found the right path.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Should the game on your TV look like how it does in handheld mode? Because handheld mode has bolder colors and higher contrast, alleviating some of the washed out look the game has on your big screen.

If the color and contrast look quite a bit different on your TV than on the Switch itself then something is off with your set. There should only be slight differences in brightness and maybe color temperature.

drotahorror

If the color and contrast look quite a bit different on your TV than on the Switch itself then something is off with your set. There should only be slight differences in brightness and maybe color temperature.

I disagree. The Switch screen gives off brighter and bolder colors by default. I'm using rtings settings for my TV, but my monitor is a bit darker due to personal preference. Switching my monitor to limited and having the Switch on full gives similar colors as the Switch display.

With a properly configured setup, you won't see a difference between Limited and Full RGB modes.

Do you have proof of this? If your display is set to limited you should set your console to limited, same goes with full / full. This is you want the game to be displayed how it's supposed to be displayed. I have never heard of this whole 'if your shit is setup straight, you won't see a difference' until this post.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I'm not sure you are understanding what I was saying. If you have Full Range RGB set on both the Switch and your TV properly, that will give virtually identical IQ to that of setting Limited Range RGB on both the Switch and your TV. I am literally saying the settings should not be mismatched, else the image will be either too bright or too dark. Secondly, If you have to set your TV to Limited and the Switch to Full to get closer to what is on your Switch in Handheld mode then something is very wrong with your setup.

Limited/Limited or Full/Full should get pretty close to what is on the Switch display, be it better or worse depending on the quality of your set.

Toxi

Banned
This and also dark souls has moments that are the same. Its better to complain why many none nintendo games have no colors.
You are correct that this thread is reminiscent of Nintendo fans complaining about the lack of colors in some non-Nintendo games.

The idea of a desaturated color palette existing for a certain atmosphere and tone shouldn't be so hard to accept.

Yes, BOTW has a washed-out/pastel style. OP is not wrong about that. They may not like it, but it was a artistic decision by Nintendo. I, for one, love it as it gives the world a dreamlike and ethereal quality.

I agree with this. The pastel, foggy style is clearly there. I feel like Nintendo may have been partially inspired by 80s fantasy movies like Legend, The Labyrinth, Neverending Story, etc, which I thought did a masterful job in creating a world that, like you said, had and ethereal, dreamlike, and otherworldly quality to them. I think Nintendo did a fantastic job in this regard, and it has a much more pleasing feel to it than those terrible modified photos from Ansatz that essentially make it look like a hi res, very fake and videogamey look.

I would also imagine that Nintendo incorporated this technique more forecefully in the distance to keep the immediate focus on what's closest to the player. Mountains and objects in the distance are clearly visible, but are given a haze as to not crest a clash of information with the immediate surroundings. This contrast relative to distance is probably extremely important in a game that intentionally tries to give you a wide view of the world

Edit: someone else smartly pointed out that the fog creates an illusion of size and distance, as the mountains and relative distance of objects aren't as far away or as high as may be perceived

Neo_Geo

Banned
Apparently the developers intended look for BOTW is creating an environment where clueless personalities on Youtube are spreading complete nisinformation about RGB Range settings.

Take this one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TyRMPcQm_w

You can tell immediately upon the switch (haha) to Full Range RGB mode that his menu goes from looking how it is supposed to look to being quite a bit darker, the Home menu it is also apparent as Link's shadowing on his back goes from light black and detailed to dark black with detail lost due to a mismatched RGB setting.

It's literally going back to 2006 when people thought using Full Range on their PS3 made the games more vibrant was fixing an issue with the console. The incorrect side by side comparisons between PS3 with improper capture device settings and the 360 didn't help either as they created an atmosphere where people thought the 360 had better IQ, when that wasn't the case.

I wonder if these same people will make a reversal video when a really popular game is on the darker side and the people that were tricked into messing up their output can't see in low lit areas. :D

Zemm

This thread has been worth it just to see how many people like to destroy image quality for more "pop" or whatever they're calling it, and it's waaaay more than I thought it would be.

cakefoo

Apparently the developers intended look for BOTW is creating an environment where clueless personalities on Youtube are spreading complete nisinformation about RGB Range settings.

You can tell immediately upon the switch (haha) to Full Range RGB mode that his menu goes from looking how it is supposed to look to being quite a bit darker, the Home menu it is also apparent as Link's shadowing on his back goes from light black and detailed to dark black with detail lost due to a mismatched RGB setting.

It's literally going back to 2006 when people thought using Full Range on their PS3 made the games more vibrant was fixing an issue with the console. The incorrect side by side comparisons between PS3 with improper capture device settings and the 360 didn't help either as they created an atmosphere where people thought the 360 had better IQ, when that wasn't the case.

I wonder if these same people will make a reversal video when a really popular game is on the darker side and the people that were tricked into messing up their output can't see in low lit areas. :D
Yeah, if he can't see the spots on the S in Splatoon 2's logo, he's doing it wrong.

cmYZ57e.gif

Neo_Geo

Banned
Yeah, the game varies wildly, sometimes looking awe inspiring, sometimes looking very drab and a pain to traverse some spots.

I've made small adjustments to my Switch TV Label to compensate a bit. Game Mode with low sharpness, changed from auto to native color space (had to move the color control down about 5 ticks to alleviate the OLED style blown out Red|Yellow) for more saturation and took Gamma down 1 notch.

This lessens the white filter on the screen and gives a bit more vibrancy to the game without crushing blacks and blowing out whites as Full Range on Limited will give you. If you are adjusting your TV calibrate with another source and don't mess with Contrast/Brightness to stay as accurate as you can while making other adjustments.

Umm... Are you telling people to mismatch their settings?
Sometimes dark areas are supposed to be dark.

Looking at the sidebyside in his video, the corrected side is what it looks like on the Switch screen.

Neo_Geo

Banned
I am saying to never mismatch RGB settings, and was joking that the people that run Full Range on a Limited Range display device due to this useless video will be wondering why a darker game is extremely hard to see.

Also I am not seeing a side by side comparison in that particular video?

Dice//

Banned
Are people really talking colour correction for this game? It was fun and seemingly a conscious decision, I'd think.

I think the point was to have a washed-out colour palette so actual light-effects would have a much more strong and saturated effect when they appeared on-screen.

NORMAL SHOTS (no significant light source)
leYrwzSl.png

lisUVc9l.jpg

vZO9KAGl.jpg

gJTpm6Bl.png

GrxmPg5l.jpg

This final example being an interesting case where the sun, often as it sets, is the most significantly brilliant source of light as it happens). Still, the washed-out palette totally works for its calmer moments. The game wanted to focus on exploration and didn't need every moment to be maxing out your colour settings. Breath of the Wild is a much 'quieter' Zelda game, choosing piano solos over big orchestral crescendos, a focus on journey than simply the destination, and light over colour.

BLOOM (significant/"powerful" light sources)
ao1etjKl.png

OE4RvRkl.png

yfcxFYzl.jpg

9IwDyXrl.jpg

jpg

eA1kmpil.jpg

This final example shows it off. Despite being daytime, the guardian still creates a brilliant effect because of the washed-out palette making the Guardian look more saturated/interesting by comparison.

Maybe it's meant to be symbolic to the games themes of light and darkness. Maybe just because they think it looks cool/interesting.

Counter this against the series' most colourful game:
VE0Dmu6m.jpg

RpNtNfCl.jpg

And this is fine because the aesthetic calls for it; Breath of the Wild just decided to be a little creative with it and clearly demonstrates some very beautiful choices with how it handled its game's atmosphere. The hushed colours in Breath of the Wild still give way to some incredible colour when the mood call for it, which, unlike Wind Waker, wanted to be more careful with what it drew attention to and apply it differently — or as a cartoon might.

On the other hand, Twilight Princess went to focus on its two realms.
One of light and white:
ss-zelda-twilight-princess-001.png

And one of darks and neons:
z3qo7v.jpg

You often knew EXACTLY what 'realm' you were in thanks to the lighting in place.

Vinnk

Sorry to necro-bump. Feel free to let this thread die again if it's not worth discussing.

But now that ARMS is out and we have high quality videos of Mario and other games, does this change how anybody felt back when this thread was made?

As I was playing arms I remembered this thread and wondered what people thought.

Again if this is a massive mistake to bring this thread back I am sorry. Just genuinely curious.

I am saying to never mismatch RGB settings, and was joking that the people that run Full Range on a Limited Range display device due to this useless video will be wondering why a darker game is extremely hard to see.

Also I am not seeing a side by side comparison in that particular video?

I'm running the switch with full rgb mode on a 2013 samsung led tv and it looks significantly better than limited range. also the blacks are way WAY better and look like they suppose to look like. not too dark and all that.
could it be that my TV acts like a PC monitor and therefor supports RGB full?

(I renamed the hdmi input of the TV to "PC" which got rid of any filtering and "picture-enhancments". it also seemed to improve input lag dramaticly)

Top Bottom