• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares |OT| The place of lost things

It will be April 28 in 3 hours for me so it's not early release.

It will be an early release for most western countries though, like, most of Europe and America. Good that it's releasing in just a couple of hours but it's gonna be harder to avoid spoilers now. >_<

Melchiah

It will be an early release for most western countries though, like, most of Europe and America. Good that it's releasing in just a couple of hours but it's gonna be harder to avoid spoilers now. >_<

It's only few hours, not days or even weeks, like it is when games often get released in America first. It's nice to have it this way for once.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
They never stop coming. That's the thing with indies; there's never a lull like with AAA. Tumbleseed, STRAFE, Rime next month

And I'm glad you're always there to inform us Badass, else I wouldn't know about half of them.

I could spend a 100 bucks on indies, and I'd probably love them all.

NeoRaider

Game is absolutely beautiful! Dat lighting...

It looks even better in motion and performance is great for me. Stable 60fps/1440p.

I haven't picked this up just yet, and I think we've all seen Arby's gaming tweets, but I was pretty impressed that they did one for this small game:

I want to get this to support Tarsier ever since I hoped that The City of Metronome would eventually come around.

^ Thats pretty cool

Damn I got the physical six edition for super cheap from Best Buy but the downside is I wont get it until tomorrow afternoon, so probably will just play it tomorrow night. about 24 more hours to go =(

Game is absolutely beautiful! Dat lighting...

It looks even better in motion and performance is great for me. Stable 60fps/1440p.

Once you lower Post Processing to Medium it actually does look nice and no longer cause your eyes to bleed.

I'm getting a locked 100 fps at 1440p with my GTX1080 so far.

Boke1879

I haven't picked this up just yet, and I think we've all seen Arby's gaming tweets, but I was pretty impressed that they did one for this small game:

I want to get this to support Tarsier ever since I hoped that The City of Metronome would eventually come around.

Whoever runs this account should win social media person of the year.

There's also a PC physical edition, and the Six edition. I haven't bought a game with a figure in it for a long while, so just bought that version. Can wait a couple of days, got Paradigm to finish.

Triz

Playing on PS4 Pro. Looks great. Controls are a bit "iffy" at times but nothing I can't work through. Enjoying the time I've had with it so far.

Corpekata

Banned
Blarg I spent like 15 minutes attempting to "solve" a puzzle that wasn't actually a puzzle. Think I'm too tired for this game tonight.

NeoRaider

Anyone got that mask DLC for finishing "demo" that was available since few months ago?

I finished it when it went live and never got the DLC.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I'm two levels in and this game, man, top-notch atmosphere and lovely animations, and the game runs great on my terrible laptop! Can't wait to continue this Coraline adventure. :p

Kyonashi

Pretty hyped. Still much prefer the original title though.

Same, but their reasoning makes sense:

Initially, the core themes revolved around food, greed, and consumption, hence the working title of Hunger. As the game evolved, however, we started to explore additional themes, such as childhood and the primal fears that are born there. This is when we realised
that we needed to come up with a name that encompassed all of that, and Little Nightmares fit like an unpleasant glove.

Yeah, plus if you're an indie studio trying to get people to find out about your game, you don't want them to have to google 'Hunger game' cause all they're gonna find is pics of Jennifer Lawrence.

Yeah, plus if you're an indie studio trying to get people to find out about your game, you don't want them to have to google 'Hunger game' cause all they're gonna find is pics of Jennifer Lawrence.
Haha

Plus, it'd just keep reminding me of that Steve McQueen/Michael Fassbender film.

hunger.jpg

Well I was really enjoying this, but now the checkpoint system doesn't work and I can no longer progress through (despite lighting 3 lanterns, I keep reverting back to a particular one, and now because I've sold the puzzles above, I can't get back to where I was)

Annoying.

Maffew

Same here, ordered waaaaay back in February. Interestingly the product listing says it's in stock tomorrow.

Melchiah

Well I was really enjoying this, but now the checkpoint system doesn't work and I can no longer progress through (despite lighting 3 lanterns, I keep reverting back to a particular one, and now because I've sold the puzzles above, I can't get back to where I was)

Annoying.

That sounds worrying. I'm just about to start, and I hope that won't happen to me.

Lnds500

The soundtrack is available now on PSN - as a separate download. For people who got it digitally, can you copy the tracks on a USB stick?

Holy shit... This game is fantastic.

I was mostly in it for the atmosphere that was hinted at in reviews, but am surprised by how engaging it is to actually play.

It feels weird finding something genuinely disturbing and so much fun at the same time. Most horror games that have this much pure horror atmosphere aren't nearly as enjoyable to play.
The atmosphere in the very first room I started out in (playing with headphones on and a tiny bit high af last night) was just like wow...
The overwhelming feeling of dread that it evokes reminds of the atmosphere in the original Silent Hill games a little bit, as much as it's a very different game in many other ways.

Level design, sound design, art direction and graphics are all wonderful. There are a few moments where I was like "That is literally genius" and I'm not even that far in yet (just finished the second chapter).
The enemies so far are incredibly grotesque and fearsome yet almost kind of adorable at the same time. It's fun to just watch how they operate and observe them from a safe distance when first encountered.

I expected to love this game but it's exceeded my expectations quite a bit already. I loved Inside/Limbo, but this is easily my favourite of these kinds of games out of any that I've played.

The main chapter 2 enemy (
long arms, think he's called the Janitor?
) is one of my favorite designs in a recent horor game. The sound effects help too

It's that uncanny valley/body horror creepiness. Human bodies just aren't supposed to look like that. And it's not just the arms, but the oversized head with the skin practically sloughing off, the clacking off-set jaw, the way it gropes blindly around with those spider-like fingers, the way the movement seems more puppet-like than living, the grunts and groans and cracking joints. I thought the eerieness would diminish when it was in the light, but it's just as creepy in the light as when it's in shadows

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

This is the type of game that I'd buy a Switch for, if they ported it over. I have both Xbone and PS4 but this says amazing portable game to me.

dinoroar

Banned
The main chapter 2 enemy (
long arms, think he's called the Janitor?
) is one of my favorite designs in a recent horor game. The sound effects help too
]

Yep,
when his hands came down and closed the cage I was too scared to move the camera over to see what the rest of him looked like. And then the part where he unfurls himself from the ceiling and chases you to the lift was..
horrifying.

I can't wait to get home and play more of this game!

Edit:
OH GOD and the sound of his breathing through headphones!

So if I liked Inside a lot and totally thought it was worth 20 bucks am I gonna be happy with this game?
Yes. Absolutely. From what I've played so far, I think it's creepier than Inside. Inside was more detached "this is horrifying that this is happening", this is twisted "I want to get out, this is a nightmare" horror.

Also it's more of a platformer than Inside was. Not that this is a necessary a good or bad thing, but you got a broader moveset here and more involved running and jumping

They're both in the same child-in-peril-in-scary place cinematic platformer genre, but Little Nightmare's atmosphere and style is totally different

Edit: best way to describe the horror IMO is that it's like a game version of the Pale Man scene in Pan's Labyrinth. That dark folktale logic, like I could imagine the Maw being in some old bedtime story told to kids to make them behave. The horror not always being hidden in shadows but right there in the light, letting you soak in the twisted nature of it. The surreal dimensions and designs of the place

Guess I'm not alone in my misery. Six Edition not coming until next week, what a bummer. Well, at least Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is arriving today.

(Third chapter)
The escalation of what you have to eat during the hunger pangs moments is getting really unsettling. First, you get thrown some food. Then, a rat corpse. Now, a still living rat caught in a trap. What's next...

Mdk7

Holy shit... This game is fantastic.

I was mostly in it for the atmosphere that was hinted at in reviews, but am surprised by how engaging it is to actually play.

It feels weird finding something genuinely disturbing and so much fun at the same time. Most horror games that have this much pure horror atmosphere aren't nearly as enjoyable to play.
The atmosphere in the very first room I started out in (playing with headphones on and a tiny bit high af last night) was just like wow...
The overwhelming feeling of dread that it evokes reminds of the atmosphere in the original Silent Hill games a little bit, as much as it's a very different game in many other ways.

Level design, sound design, art direction and graphics are all wonderful. There are a few moments where I was like "That is literally genius" and I'm not even that far in yet (just finished the second chapter).
The enemies so far are incredibly grotesque and fearsome yet almost kind of adorable at the same time. It's fun to just watch how they operate and observe them from a safe distance when first encountered.

I expected to love this game but it's exceeded my expectations quite a bit already. I loved Inside/Limbo, but this is easily my favourite of these kinds of games out of any that I've played.

And believe me, the best is yet to come. You've seen nothing! ;)

Tried a bit last night. Absolutely love this platforming style - honestly LBP should have been like this. And 60fps was a lovely surprise.

I JUST GOT BACK HOME AND IT'S HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!

About to unwrap the seal, smell the factory seal smell, then PLLAAAAYYYY!!

I gotta say though, the box is smaller and lighter than I thought it would be...

And believe me, the best is yet to come. You've seen nothing! ;)

Haha, I actually thought chapter 3
(The Kitchen)
was only the second chapter for some reason, so I was actually up to chapter 3 at the time of my previous post.

Just finished the game. Loved it more than almost any game that comes to mind in recent memory, but whoa it really is short.
I knew it would be on the short side and wasn't worried about that as I tend to play games more slowly than the average gamer and most of the time I read complaints about game length it's almost irrelevant to me, but I couldn't believe it when I looked up how many chapters there were when I was on chapter 4 and realised that it was nearing the end.

I feel like minus a couple of parts where I got stuck for a while, my run was probably around 3 hours. Normally a 10-12 hour game will take me more like 15-18 to complete, so others might find that they beat this in a couple of hours or less.

I'm not trying to hate on the game's length so much as say that I just enjoyed it so much that I wish there was more to it. It's so good from start to finish.

I'll play through it again soon and am sure I'll enjoy it again, but I really want more and hope there'll be a (longer) sequel or at least a spiritual successor in the future.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

Would being longer actually make a sequel/successor better?

Not necessarily, I guess in my mind it went without saying that I meant a sequel/successor of equal quality to the original, but meatier.

Obviously this game doesn't need to be any longer than it is from a story etc. standpoint, and I appreciate that the creator didn't pad it out for the sake of making it longer, I was just having a lot of fun with it and was sad to see it end tbh.

I rarely enjoy games this much nowadays and having it be over way sooner than I expected was a bit of a surprise. But yeah, I'd be stoked to hear about a sequel one day regardless of how long it'd be, obviously quality over quantity always.

Wozman23

(Third chapter)

I put in about 2.5 hours and stopped a little after that last night.

I agree with the Inside comparisons, as far as the level of atmosphere goes, but everything here is even more eerie and grotesque. As great as the 'Hunger' title was, Little Nightmares is also very fitting.

I could spend a 100 bucks on indies, and I'd probably love them all.

Blackwood Crossing $12.99
What Remains of Edith Finch $15.99
Little Nightmares $17.99
GNOG $13.49
TumbleSeed $14.99
RiME $26.99
Nex Machina (pre-order) $15.99
Total: $118.43

April and May are killing me. (I'm grateful PlayStation has at least started to become more consistent with their pre-order discounts.)

Oh damn (chapter 4)

I thought long arms chasing you was creepy but there's something so disturbing about how these things (I hesistate to call them people) just came after you so ravenously

The visuals and sounds of that dining room area are very unsettling

Top Bottom