• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philips asking for damages, ban on sale of Wii U due to patent infringements

Phillips apparently has a dire need for a couple old sticks of gum, lint, cookie crumbs, a couple nickels, and whatever else is wedged between the cushions of Nintendo's couches.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Why not go even higher and patent the idea of a "living organism". Basically every person, dog, cat and whatever what breaths and shits in this planet would have to pay up.
Companies are already patenting DNA sequences, so we're halfway there now.

What kind of monsters have we become...

kaiyo

The perspective on that Escher doorway on the right hand side is doing bad things to my eyes and brain. And why does that woman (?) in the foreground appear to be melting? I mean, I know these diagrams just have to be functional and not particularly pretty, but I'm sure they could've found someone on staff who uses their hands to draw instead of holding the pen between their toes.

Looks like it's drawn in MS Paint with a mouse lol.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone's got access to PACER? Perhaps there's some more information to be gathered from there.

This will be thrown out of court, as the Wiimote works exactly like the "device" in the patent, and was released 2 years before the patent was submitted.

Not sure why Philips are even bothering.

HardRojo

1370220531797.jpg
So much history behind this that it needs to be explained.

KHlover

Banned
Can't wait for Nintendo to counter-sue and obtain some Philips patents after this ridiculous claim is smashed down.

So much history behind this that it needs to be explained.

When Nintendo gave Sony the boot for it's SNES CD attachment, Nintendo went to Phillips. Nintendo eventually backed out of the deal, but were still obligated to let Phillips design games for their CDi system using Nintendo characters. That image was from one of the Zelda games released for CDi.

Ertai

Philips claimed breach of 2 patents, the one that got linked before and also this one which got filed in 1996

A virtual body modelling apparatus and method models a users body in a virtual environment and animated to follow physical movements of the user. Stores (30,32) hold data defining the virtual environment as well as features of the virtual body representation, including sequences of virtual body motions (for example a walking sequence for the legs of the virtual body) which sequences are initiated in response to one or more predetermined physical movements by the user, and animated by a display generator (28) providing images of the virtual environment to the user. Various forms of feedback to the user are provided, including force feedback where the users physical movements are constrained in dependence on conditions within the virtual environment, visual feedback where the users viewpoint of the virtual world is modified as a sequence of body motions is executed, and audio feedback (62) such as the sound of footsteps triggered at predetermined points in the sequence of motions

1. Virtual body modeling apparatus operable to generate and animate under user direction a representation of a body in a virtual environment, said apparatus comprising:a first data store, holding data defining the virtual environment;a second data store, holding data related to features of a virtual body representation;user motion detector to detect user body motion; anda processor arranged to generate a representation of the virtual environment based on data from the first data store, to generate the virtual body representation within the virtual environment based on data from the second data store, and to periodically modify the generated virtual body representation in response to the detected user body motion,said second data store holding sequence data defining at least one sequence of virtual body motions; andsaid processor being arranged to call said sequence data and translate the detected user body motion using said sequence data, wherein the generated virtual body representation is modified to follow the detected user body motion.

mr9H8bu.png

I assume it's more about this one

Not a fan of this sue - counter sue world.

Daytime TV commercials in the UK is full of it, and it seems like every male TV celeb is been taken to the cleaners. (not that i'm saying every case is false)

Anyway I hope Philips get's laughed out of court. I'm just waiting on some company to say they own VR.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding that door, it's clearly a 2D door in a 3D door frame, opening inward.

Regarding the patent, this probably won't go anywhere because the Wii itself should serve as prior art. I'm pretty sure you can't patent something and sue someone over it when their device existed before you even filed the patent.

Myshkin

This reminds me of that episode of The Flintstones, where at the end the police officer wants to arrest Fred and Barney for selling gravelberry pie on the roadside. The joke's on you, officer, they didn't sell any.

The vague patent business is booming.

I originally thought patents were just about technology like blue prints, I'm rather surprised that vague concepts like this can be patented too as it's obvious it's unworkable and open to interpretation.

Great system for lawyers and judges, and probably why it'l never get fixed

Lol Philips could have used someone who could draw, that picture looks like it's done by a Junior highschooler

Tarsul

yeah you gotta love those patent pictures... and also hate lawyers, I guess? I don't like these type of claims that seem to be coming from the clouds.

prag16

Banned
This patent trolling shit is getting out of hand. I don't care what company it is its just so tiring.

Not tiring for the lawyers who get to line their pockets.

That's basically the basis for the entire legal and justice system... enabling lawyers to line their pockets.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Rule of patent broadness:
If it's as broad as a first-generation smartphone ("Device that does <list of things> in <ways>"), it's too broad to actually hope for enforcement.

Schnozberry

I originally thought patents were just about technology like blue prints, I'm rather surprised that vague concepts like this can be patented too as it's obvious it's unworkable and open to interpretation.

Great system for lawyers and judges, and probably why it'l never get fixed

Our patent system is a cruel joke. So much so that legal firms advise corporations like Nintendo to pay large sums of money out to purchase patents from other companies (sometimes shell companies that produce no actual products) just to protect themselves from drawn out and preposterously expensive legal battles.

I'm sure Nintendo has their own patents, good lawyers and a pile of fuck you money to make this go away.

Top Bottom