• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler leaves G4/X-Play

lucius

He was great, they still have Morgan Web at least I guess that's positive. I thought Xplay would die before he ever left.

Mr. B

He doesn't really seem like a good fit there. His best work for G4 comes when he's actually be serious (the Soapbox series). That's pretty much the opposite of Gaint Bomb, which seems to just be filled with jokesters.

Adam Sessler did A LOT of quirky/jokster segments on X-Play. Hell, that was pretty much the premise of the show. While Giantbomb doesn't have much "serious" content it has some. You can see it in their articles and some of their video series (like Jeff's jar show). Adam could fill both roles.

I just think Sessler is too big to join someone else. He has the resources and following to do his own thing.

Curufinwe

Hmm... I really don't see the problem with this video. I actually completly agree with what he's saying. Considering that the vast majority of people who whine and sign petitions about games ends up buying the game on day 1 anyway, his point it totally valid.

Vast majority, eh. Sounds like you have some very good data to support your claim.

zroid

Banned
I hate how he constantly rips JRPGs.

to be fair, he's hardly alone in that sentiment. although I will always hold a small grudge for the absolutely atrocious april fools' day thing X-Play did in 2011. it was just so mean-spirited.

BY2K

Membero Americo
He was great, they still have Morgan Web at least I guess that's positive. I thought Xplay would die before he ever left.

What? Morgan Webb is the biggest tool in the gaming media. The only reason she's there is so she can say: "Look, I'm a girl and I give a crap about games, tee-hee."

Riposte

I like the idea of Adam Sessler, but he is pretty dumb and almost unbearable when he gets into "deep" videogame talk. I generally avoid his stuff since I don't want to spoil the memories of the younger, more innocent me loving GamespotTV/TechTV growing up.

to be fair, he's hardly alone in that sentiment. although I will always hold a small grudge for the absolutely atrocious april fools' day thing X-Play did in 2011. it was just so mean-spirited.

My issue with Sessler is that he seems to have super narrow tastes (I think I remembering talking off and on about how he hated JRPGs and online multiplayer games and wasn't fond of racing games or handhelds) yet commented on absolutely everything. I don't know if that was him or G4 forcing him to come up with content for his Soapbox stuff every week, but a lot of the stuff was just odd and came off as very uninformed.

MechaX

I like the idea of Adam Sessler, but he is pretty dumb and almost unbearable when he gets into "deep" videogame talk. I generally avoid his stuff since I don't want to spoil the memories of the younger, more innocent me loving GamespotTV/TechTV growing up.

I think that's a bit too negative of an assessment for him. He has some great points sometimes, but I can admit that some of his positions can get extremely outlandish. Plus, some of his written reviews are almost Tim Rogers-esque when it comes to self indulgence.

McLovin

I love me some Sessler, but even he couldn't keep me watching g4. I miss the old tech tv so much :( Whatever he does I hope he's successful at it. I completely respect his opinions on all the game he reviews.

Mahonay

Banned
Really like Sessler. I wish him luck. I'm personally glad he's no longer a part of that debacle of a network.

Hopefully this means more drop-in appearances by him at places like Giant Bomb. I'm sure Scoops Klepek is currently working on getting the...scoop on this. That didn't quite work like I had hoped...

I stopped watching G4 a long time ago and apparently I'm not alone. The network must be on its last legs. They fill most of their programming slots with Cheaters and Cops in order to hold their channel position. I'm glad Sessler is finally getting out.

Flavius

Adam will be fine wherever he goes, and I'm sure he'll have his pick when it comes to when and where.

But really...seriously...how in the FUCK is that network still on cable???

HOW?!?

Curufinwe

Wait so they'll have 2 female hosts now? Lesbian kiss here we come!

You talking about Kristin Holt?

I'll miss Sessler, but I think he'd be much better off at somewhere more long form than X-Play. I hope Garnett can get him on a couple of Weekend Confirmed episodes.

ts

Parch

From watching Attack I don't think Underwood is much of a gamer. I don't think any of them are.
Kristin Adams will probably play a bigger part in the show now, but unfortunately so will Herter. Can't stand that guy and his stupid humor. Relying on Morgan to carry those two is going to be too much. They'll need to bring in somebody new.

Curufinwe

Of the awful Herter has brought to X-Play, the bit where he jokingly warned gamers not to try and sleep with his wife in Mass Effect 3 was the worst.

zroid

Banned
What did they do?

Well, X-Play is known for its frequent use of Final Fantasy and its fans as the butt of jokes. That day, they decided to turn it around and make a "Top 5" list of Final Fantasy series characters. All five characters were from FF VII.

MG310

I guess Blair Herter will get moved to the co-host position....maybe they start giving Nikole Zivalich some TV time? I think the only time they used her on TV was for that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Squirrel Girl bit.

starmud

end of an era (or decade) ;___; i never thought they'd let go of him...

i still remember that first day finding techtv; because of extended play and adam. i became a junkie. i loved kate, well, as much as a gay guy could. the set, oh man... the cardboard red brick background with pin ball machines that appeared to be keeping the set standing.

brings back warm fuzzy feelings of coming home after school, playing PSO and watching old techtv/adam and kate.

on the not so sunny memories side, xplay was also responsible for exposing my friends and i to... maplestory... my poor taste and love of awful f2p krpgs wasn't enough to resist. i blame your preview piece, adam. forever, blame.

Bgamer90

Banned
He was the only real traditional "gaming personality" left on the channel.

G4 should be renamed and/or re-branded. Amazing how much the channel has changed. Everything went downhill fast after the Tech TV/G4 merger.

I stopped watching G4 in 2005. However, though I disagreed with him from time-to-time, he was one of us and did not even attempt to pander to the audience. He is the quintessential raving message board geek and I loved him for that.

Many who rip him do so because they don't agree with his style, which is fair play for anyone who is a TV personality, but clearly he had a passion for games.

Grakl

Well, X-Play is known for its frequent use of Final Fantasy and its fans as the butt of jokes. That day, they decided to turn it around and make a "Top 5" list of Final Fantasy series characters. All five characters were from FF VII.

Huh. That's pretty funny.

Foffy

Banned

..And you're holding a grudge against them for this?

MechaX

I still watch reviews on the run everyday. Old school was better but now it is ok.

You say "now" like Reviews on the Run/Judgment Day is still on.

Hold on... *youtube searches, sees skyrim, arkham city, etc, and clicks on one*

OOOH SHIT VIC LUCAS NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD

Not surprising that it wasn't amicable. I think Sessler grew quite a cult of personality ego there over the years, rightfully so as the only legitimate voice talking about videogames.

Never the less, I hadn't watched this channel or that show in .. 5 years? I hope he lands somewhere and does well wherever he goes.

Aesthet1c

So glad Sessler is off of that awful network. That station died with TechTV, and G4 was nothing but an embarrassment.

I've always really liked Sessler and wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. Hopefully we still get some more Soapboxes, and he starts appearing on podcasts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Who wants to fund a "Meet the Sess" podcast kickstarter?

... Seriously if there's anyone in the gaming industry who needs to be a on a weekly podcast, it's him. Put him on the CAGcast!

Lingitiz

Glad to hear Sessler's gonna be moving on, he could fit in well at alot other places. The guy worked his ass off, one of the reasons why G4's E3 coverage was actually decent was because of him. The actual conference coverage and demos they got were done really well. Unfortunately there's only so much one guy can do. Looking forward to see where he goes next.

I like to listen to their reviews not because I think G4 is THE source for video game reviews, but because they do it with humor. I check out various sites to get different viewpoints (hopefully) on a game before I decide to purchase or go to the video store to rent.

Top Bottom