• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of an era: Microsoft is planning to kill off Paint after 32 years

Ricky_R

They better improve their screenshot function then. I'm rocking Windows 7, but does 10 manages screenshots similar to macs or is the fuction still archaic?

Do they save somewhere? Can you crop the image right then and there?

jobrro

This is kind of annoying.

Usually use GIMP when doing more complicated edits but if it is something super simple mspaint.exe is still quick and easy. I know they are including Paint 3D but plain old Paint's appeal is being super simple.

It's not a deal breaker, I am sure there are just as simple alternatives, but would still prefer they kept it included.

sangreal

I don't care of they never update it but I use paint every day so it would suck if they remove it. Don't want to switch to the shipping tool

Nachos

Paint hasn't been the same since Windows 7 anyway, and its resizing has always been bad. It was best for pixel art, but it's already been surpassed in that regard. I spent a lot of time making dumb images in paint in elementary school, but I'm not really hurt by the news.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Crap. Paint 3D isn't the same when it comes to quickly throwing something together, not the same expediency at all.

To all the people complaining - what does Paint do that Paint 3D doesn't?

Because it sounds less to me like they're "killing Paint off" and more like they're "replacing it with a better, more featured and still free version".

Exactly. The same Paint in Windows 8 isn't the same one in Vista or XP.

Aeana

Same...this is going to be really irritating at work. I often copy images in with the snipping tool and then save them as .Png files.

If this is your primary concern, I strongly recommend Irfanview. It's extremely fast and can do all kinds of resizing/saving/cropping/etc. operations on images. It can also do very basic visual editing like placing text, but that's not really what it's for.

SPDIF

They better improve their screenshot function then. I'm rocking Windows 7, but does 10 manages screenshots similar to macs or is the fuction still archaic?

Do they save somewhere? Can you crop the image right then and there?

Windows key + PrtScn will automatically save the screenshot in your Pictures folder. Alternatively you can press Windows key + Shift + S to instantly crop a portion of the current screen and copy it to the clipboard.

janoDX

ulSUm7X.jpg

I owe paint my life

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MY SIDES

Luigiv

Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Before Paint there was Paintbrush, and I was there too as I child.

microsoft-paint-windows-98-136398854913902601

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.
Oh man, that screenshot, right in the childhood.

I was raised on MS paint.
My kids were raised on MS paint.
MS paint was at my wedding.
MS paint was with me for every major history event in the past 30 years.

RIP MS paint

Phinor

I still use Paint weekly because it's just so quick for the easy tasks. I tried using Paint 3D but starting that program always prompts me to "Back up your file encryption certificate and key". I want nothing to do with file encryption and I've no idea why Paint 3D would have something to do with that so I basically refuse to use Paint 3D. Google hasn't been of much help with this issue either but if anyone knows what's up, do tell.

Ricky_R

Windows key + PrtScn will automatically save the screenshot in your Pictures folder. Alternatively you can press Windows key + Shift + S to instantly crop a portion of the current screen and copy it to the clipboard.

That's on Windows 10, right?

Haunted

I mean, I'm fairly sure the .exe is a standalone executable. You can save it somewhere and just continue to use it, right?

This just means it won't be delivered with the OS anymore.

That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.

Yeah what the fuck. I use Paint almost daily at work for quick screenshot, crop and email jobs while troubleshooting for people.

I'm also a federal employee, so our government workstations are restricted on what software we can and cannot just download to use off the internet.

PaulBizkit

well, damn. MSPaint is so practical. I use it all the time for quick "editings" and cropping. I love how fast it loads.

I know there are a lot of other alternatives. But, windows key + R, "mspaint", [enter] and that's it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There are better free options for the extremely basic stuff you can do in Paint, so eh. Nothing of value was really lost here.

Crispy75

Yeah what the fuck. I use Paint almost daily at work for quick screenshot, crop and email jobs while troubleshooting for people.

I'm also a federal employee, so our government workstations are restricted on what software we can and cannot just download to use off the internet.

TBF, the snipping tool does exactly this

I think that last shortcut was added in the most recent update, right?
You can already save the whole desktop, an arbitrary region, and a window to a file. What have people needed Paint for? The built-in screenshot shortcuts and Snipping Tool should serve most needs.

Bit sad about potentially losing MS Paint soon as I make art using it. I know quite a few people that still use it as well for that reason too but I assume they'll move to other programs eventually.

I use Paint to recreate scenes from anime and it's served me really well for that. I could do it with other programs but it's just so much easier and simple to do with Paint.

Here's my stuff if anyone's interested and yeah, RIP MS Paint.

Septic360

Banned
Oh, if it's just a program upgrade it doesn't really count as killing Paint and saying it was 32 years old, does it.

Before Paint there was Paintbrush, and I was there too as I child.

microsoft-paint-windows-98-136398854913902601

Paint only shipped since Windows 95, and was a pretty big overhaul. It's "just" 22 years old.

Damn...that brought back some memories!

Skinpop

And why can't you use paint 3D next time?

i haven't used paint 3d but the best thing about Paint is that it starts in less than half a second. Unless a replacement launches just as fast it's useless. Considering the bloat and lousy engineering of modern apps I'm not feeling optimistic about finding a good replacement.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Paint is useful for quick edits to images I don't give a shit about quality for. Major boo on this news

woopWOOP

That's shitty. I use Paint all the time for super quick cropping, screenshots, or adding text to stuff. Basic things but it loads instantly and is so simple it makes it faster.
Yeah :/

Print screen, load up MS Paint, paste, crop and save. Quick and easy!
Does Paint 3D load pretty fast? I don't need it to load all those fancy features like Photoshop tends to when I just want to do a quick paste/crop job.

Top Bottom