• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something interesting in Battlefield 4 site source code

This is just......
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Burt

Generally, it's a pet peeve of mine when people just post a one word reply and add nothing to the thread, but I've never seen a situation more appropriate.

lawl.

There's nothing else to say about this shit anymore.

JJD

If there were an BF4 event for the press, even if it was embargoed GAF would know of the event.

As far as I can remember EA only showed BF4 at that Gamestop conference.

SPEA

While it could be something shady, it isn't necessarily. EA may have had a press event already, with coverage embargoed, and may have had a peek at IGN's preview in advance. That itself might be a bit shady - showing a preview to the publisher pre-publication - but if the preview was otherwise an honest piece with no interference it wouldn't be THAT shady. However, on the other end of the scale it could also be a bad case of full-blown PR-orchestrated journalism/marketing deal. Just not necessarily :p

That was my impression after reading it as well.

Into

That is....something

Yet i have a feeling most people are not really surprised, 10 years ago this would have surprised most, yet today people are just laughing it off, because there is nothing else to really do.

S0N0S

While it could be something shady, it isn't necessarily. EA may have had a press event already, with coverage embargoed, and may have had a peek at IGN's preview in advance. That itself might be a bit shady - showing a preview to the publisher pre-publication - but if the preview was otherwise an honest piece with no interference it wouldn't be THAT shady. However, on the other end of the scale it could also be a bad case of full-blown PR-orchestrated journalism/marketing deal. Just not necessarily :p
I understand this point of view, but I'm finding it extremely difficult giving either EA or IGN the benefit of the doubt. At what point do you tell yourself, "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, then that's a fuckin duck"?

RoKKeR

Jesus Christ, lol

It's almost so ridiculously stupid that I think it's a joke? Placeholder? I mean, goddamn, EA should really win that award this year. I love Battlefield and all bit this is too much, haha.

Vexxan

It has to be a joke, right? Better be a web designer laughing his ass off right now somewhere because this is just too dumb.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hmm. Makes you think. So either ...

A. IGN has seen Battlefield 4, and written up a typically hyberbolic piece about it, wherein they likely call it a "Game of the Year Contender". EA then, SOMEHOW, had early access to the article, to quote out for publicity's sake.

B. IGN has been paid to call Battlefield 4 "An early favorite for Game Of The Year".

Either way, there's a dirty relationship going on here. IGN's integrity has always been in the gutter, but this is VERY to being damning evidence for some serious shit.

You don't have a scenario in your list of scenarios that doesn't involve IGN?

When you jump to the certain conclusion that there's a "dirty relationship" in the absence of any facts, you need to take a step back and check yourself.

It has to be a joke, right? Better be a web designer laughing his ass off right now somewhere because this is just too dumb.

That's the sound of Jeff Gerstmann congratulating us for providing more attention for Battlefield 4 than IGN or EA could ever hope to at this point.

Limit

Yeah, this reads more like a jab at IGN by some web designer at EA instead of source code being reflective of some malicious marketing deal between the two companies. Though the source code comment probably isn't far off from how most gaming websites will treat a product like BF4.

Nori Chan

Am I missing something?

You do realise the press already saw BF 4 right? IGN probably got the exclusive preview/reveal/wtv and the website will be linking to it later due to an embargo like it has happened a million times before. What's the big deal here exactly?

This is what I thought at first but this is still lul worthy

Foshy

Is this really a first, though? I'm sure I've read things like "This is going to be a strong contender for GotY" in previews before, and this isn't too different.

Not a fan of EA or IGN but I don't really understand the fuzz about it, with BF4 likely being the "biggest" AAA game this year.

RoKKeR

Looking at it again, it honestly just seems like placeholder/funny programmer that will be changed with a quote to to the real preview. It's almost too god to be true.

Doodis

It's possible that this is just placeholder copy. Perhaps it's there just for layout purposes. Placeholder copy is used in these types of design scenarios all the time. Not saying that's for sure what happened, but people sure seem to be jumping the gun on something that has no real context.

Sean

Banned
Doubt there is anything shady going on in this case, really just seems like placeholder text that the web designer forgot to remove.

Top Bottom