• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

RpgN

It got a bit better after the patches - the annoying sound drop glitch went away, but the one that keeps cropping up every now and then is when a door appears shut to one player in online coop. So you can't even start certain levels.

I'm playing with the wife so we can both see it happen - that's pretty annoying

This is really bad, hopefully there will be more patches coming up. So is the single player game safe when it comes to glitches at least? If so that would be great. I might give the demo a try when I find the time.

Koroviev said:
While I'm definitely not using my 3DS as much anymore (the Vita is basically my portable media center), I can't sell it. I need Fire Emblem. And Atlus exclusives.

It's pretty much a great time to be an owner of both the 3DS and PS Vita right now. The 3DS had it tough at first, now it has many awesome games and more than enough to look forward to. It wouldn't surprise me if there will be gamers who go handheld only and totally ignore next gen consoles, the ones who appreciate Japanese games and unique little gems at least.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm sorry if this has already been answered but are there any news on when Psone titles will be playable on the vita?

None. My guess is they do it at E3.

Koroviev

This is really bad, hopefully there will be more patches coming up. So is the single player game safe when it comes to glitches at least? If so that would be great. I might give the demo a try when I find the time.

It's pretty much a great time to be an owner of both the 3DS and PS Vita right now. The 3DS had it tough at first, now it has many awesome games and more than enough to look forward to. It wouldn't surprise me if there will be gamers who go handheld only and totally ignore next gen consoles, the ones who appreciate Japanese games and unique little gems at least.

I can easily see myself being one of those people. It has probably been at least a month since I last played a game on my PS3, or even my PC for that matter. I work at my desk all day, so when I'm finished working, I like to sit on my bed and relax.

Edit: I should also note that I was in fact a portable-exclusive gamer for a number of years.

It's pretty much a great time to be an owner of both the 3DS and PS Vita right now. The 3DS had it tough at first, now it has many awesome games and more than enough to look forward to. It wouldn't surprise me if there will be gamers who go handheld only and totally ignore next gen consoles, the ones who appreciate Japanese games and unique little gems at least...

writing's been on the wall for me for a while now. the psp ended up being my go-to machine this gen, & my psp/ds collection's larger than my standard console one (as in, more games i can actually see myself replaying)...

I have a bit of early buyers remorse at this stage. I didn't think I would.

I love Uncharted as a franchise, but I find GA quite boring. I also love shooters but Unit 13 doesn't look too appealing to me, Resistance looks quite crap, Killzone is a ways off, I detest COD.

I really need a new meaty RPG. Desperate for one.

Maybe its a change in my circumstances (career) that has tired me out on things, I already stepped away from PS3 gaming a bit. Maybe my gaming time is drawing to an end. I just don't feel compelled with things that much any more. I was hoping Vita would sort that out for me.

I really hope E3 and GamesCom breathe some new life into my hobby. This feels so bizarre. I've been gaming since I was 4.

Anyone else felt like this at any point of any console cycle?

Part of the problem, I feel, is more games having online dependent trophies. I'm a completionist at heart, but I do get put off games that make me play online to get my 100%.

This is because this console cycle has been going on WAY too long. M$ etc are no longer pay as much attention. They are trying to drag out the lifecycle with dumb video content and motion software because it is more profitable. As a result, the quality of gaming lacks. and why PC gaming is having a renaissance.

Ponn

Banned

Raises hand. There are many more handheld games i'm looking forward to then console games already. Developers more and more feel in order to put out a RPG on console it has to be a mega budget Final Fantasy or nothing at all which makes them fewer. I switched from Xbox to PS3 to help but really the last bastion is looking more and more like handhelds and that is fine by me. The graphics have gotten good enough on both systems to sustain stunning games that still harken back to old school RPG days.

With next gen looking more and more grim with out of control budgets, less singleplayer games and risk averse company models that will be the final nail in the coffin of RPG's on consoles and then the whole anti-used bullshit i really don't even want to bother. Stick with handhelds, they let me multitask and play games while watching netflix and don't have to pause for potty breaks. :)

I can easily see myself being one of those people. It has probably been at least a month since I last played a game on my PS3, or even my PC for that matter. I work at my desk all day, so when I'm finished working, I like to sit on my bed and relax.

Edit: I should also note that I was in fact a portable-exclusive gamer for a number of years.

Hmm I wouldn't go handheld only but considering i played my ps3 for like 2 hours since 22.02 I'll have to really reconsider how much i need next gen console when I have Vita + PC

I just remembered last night that I had the PSP LBP from the PSNPhail promo. It looks and plays pretty nicely on Vita. Noticeable aliasing, but it should be good enough to tide you over.

I had PSP LBP day one, and played it a fair bit. It was pretty amazing for being on PSP and I actually thought e single player levels were better designed than LBP1s levels on PS3. But in the end I just found it to be too lacking ... The hardware really held it back. Now on Vita I think the combination of gyro, camera, touch front and back, dual analog sticks and buttons combined with much more power and memory and that beautiful screen, there is potential for this to be the definitive LBP version.

Koroviev

Hmm I wouldn't go handheld only but considering i played my ps3 for like 2 hours since 22.02 I'll have to really reconsider how much i need next gen console when I have Vita + PC

I would still have a gaming-capable PC, if only because I have a shameful Steam library and I use my PC for resource-intensive purposes beyond gaming.

Mondriaan

I played a little bit of LBP PSP on my Vita and I just didn't enjoy it at all, even though I love the LBP games on PS3. It may just be the kind of archaic graphics and the LBP1-style mechanics. I'm sure if I had played it right around the time of LBP1 I would have liked it more.

LBP Vita has me extremely excited though. With the ability to make your own smartphone-esque games (along with so much more), it could have enormous potential. It's like LBP was just made for Vita.
I also loved LBP and LBP2, but LBP PSP, not so much.

LBP PSP superficially looks like LBP, but trying to get logic to work (using magnetic keys, sensors, pistons) made the level making aspect of the game feel a little broken. There were some mysterious design decisions like retaining emotes in a completely single player game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was all aboard the Vita train up until release day when I didn't have any extra cash for it. But a couple of months later, I feel like I made the right choice by not buying it since there aren't many games that interest me at the moment.

I guess what I want to know is, how is everyone enjoying it now?
It has lived up to my expectations and I play it regularly.

Honestly, the only real concern now is the upcoming library. I still have plenty of games to play for the system due to its very broad launch lineup but I'm going to be itching for new software soon.

Alchemy

I never understood people selling systems that aren't their "main system" only to buy the system again later when an exclusive they want eventually shows up. I would hold onto both a Vita and 3DS, multiconsole gaming is amazing.

IronRinn

A short story and a question:

Had my Vita lock up on me this weekend. Went to turn it on and it was dead. Charged it, turned it on, and played 15 minutes or so of Rayman: Origins. Shut it off and the screen went off, but the light on the PS button stayed on. Tried powering it on, nothing. Found out about the debug menu, tried forcing a restart, nothing. Rebuild database and system restore results were the same. Playstation Support is having me send it in for service, indicating that they're probably going to replace my system with a new one, since they don't have any refurbs in stock. Also, the entire process was very easy and the rep, Marie, was great, making for as pleasant an experience as it could be, all things considered. Pretty sure my Uncharted save is gone though, right? Are saves kept in system memory or on the memory card?

catabarez

A short story and a question:

Had my Vita lock up on me this weekend. Went to turn it on and it was dead. Charged it, turned it on, and played 15 minutes or so of Rayman: Origins. Shut it off and the screen went off, but the light on the PS button stayed on. Tried powering it on, nothing. Found out about the debug menu, tried forcing a restart, nothing. Rebuild database and system restore results were the same. Playstation Support is having me send it in for service, indicating that they're probably going to replace my system with a new one, since they don't have any refurbs in stock. Also, the entire process was very easy and the rep, Marie, was great, making for as pleasant an experience as it could be, all things considered. Pretty sure my Uncharted save is gone though, right? Are saves kept in system memory or on the memory card?

The memory card or the game card itself.

Apocryphon

Honestly, the only real concern now is the upcoming library. I still have plenty of games to play for the system due to its very broad launch lineup but I'm going to be itching for new software soon.

I've been content so far with Uncharted, Unit 13, Rayman, WipEout and Ninja Gaiden... and now I have Mortal Kombat which I'm thoroughly enjoying. I'm not particulary concerned about the summer as Resistance, Gravity Rush, MGS HD Collection, LittleBigPlanet and the Oddworld games should be enough to keep me going until September/October... but they need to go all out at E3.

Call of Duty needs to be good, and complete, with the same online infrastructure in place as the console games. They also need to announce a lot of first-party games. LBP Karting and Sony Smash would fit the device perfecty. A Syphon Filter and a God of War game wouldn't go amiss either. I'd even like Twisted Metal and inFamous ports as well as a Vita SSX and a Vita Resident Evil... even if it's only a port of Revelations.

tch

AS a huge Vita fan, I've barely even turned the thing on recently. Really need a new game soon. Might get Daxter actually to tide me over til Gravity Rush/Daze

spats

AS a huge Vita fan, I've barely even turned the thing on recently. Really need a new game soon. Might get Daxter actually to tide me over til Gravity Rush/Daze

I finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta just yesterday and I'll propably start playing Resistance: Retribution before going to sleep.

I really want Gravity Rush, but I couldn't be happier with the system.

garath

I need PSO2 and Ragnarok Odyssey.. stat!

I'm still playing TiTS on occasion but I really haven't done a lot with my Vita in the recent weeks. I need some games, RPGs really. That's always been my biggest bang for the buck with portable systems.

Koroviev

I'm still playing TiTS on occasion but I really haven't done a lot with my Vita in the recent weeks. I need some games, RPGs really. That's always been my biggest bang for the buck with portable systems.

I'm going to be playing Gods Eater Burst in preparation for Ragnarok. Need to learn how to play these Monster Hunter-type games :p

How is TitS? I finally picked it up due to all of the hype on GAF.

Same here. But as someone who owns multiple consoles and a PC, I am a bit more patient while waiting for news on upcoming titles. But when I get 5+ titles alongside a handheld launch, I am much more pleased with the Vita than I was with the PSP around this time.

I really want Gravity Rush, but I couldn't be happier with the system.

My most anticipated title.

Saroyan

I've been getting a lot of use out of my Vita lately. I just finished a play through of Final Fantasy IV, and now after having played the first 5-10 mins of Uncharted when it first came out I have gone back to it.

I'm a few hours in now and I really like the game, I've never played an Uncharted game before so its all new to me. The hardest enemy in the game so far for me has been a mossy log, I must have died at least 10 times at one before I realized I needed to tilt the Vita left and right for balance, I was trying to use the touch screen, lol. It was probably covered in the intro, but like I said its been since the system launch when I played the first little bit of the game.

Stardust is great also, but I don't really care for motorstorm RC, I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Apath

they fill up in minutes.
Oh really? I hit the limit and just assumed it was by the day or you could buy play time or something. Less than an hour isn't bad at all.

That would be great if there was a Sony store within 60 miles. To be honest, I didn't even realize there were Sony retail outlets. If that is the price in their store, then why isn't it the digital price?
Yeah, sorry -- I have no clue. I'd assume it's because the MSRP is still $40, and Sony probably has some sort of agreement with retailers that they won't drop the PSN price too far below MSRP. I have no idea though.

branny

I've been ignoring my Vita lately (even though I am totally in love with it) but think I'll try to get into Golden Abyss to help pass time until Diablo. All that treasure hunting and touchscreen crap is kind of barf, though.

It seems like every time I turn my Vita on, I just end up playing the kinds of games I would've had lying in my PSP like Lumines or DJMAX or fighting games. I recently bought digital versions of a bunch of games I already have on UMD but never got around to playing (like Knights in the Nightmare), so I guess I could play those... Or go back to postgame Tactics Ogre stuff...

I'm going to be playing Gods Eater Burst in preparation for Ragnarok. Need to learn how to play these Monster Hunter-type games :p
Have you already tried Monster Hunter Freedom Unite?

This so much. I'm excited for other games (Gravity Rush, P4G, DJMAX Technika TUNE), but I need Ragnarok Odyssey inside of me right now. And watching streams of the PSO2 beta is killing me.

Koroviev

I've been ignoring my Vita lately (even though I am totally in love with it) but think I'll try to get into Golden Abyss to help pass time until Diablo. All that treasure hunting and touchscreen crap is kind of barf, though.

It seems like every time I turn my Vita on, I just end up playing the kinds of games I would've had lying in my PSP like Lumines or DJMAX or fighting games. I recently bought digital versions of a bunch of games I already have on UMD but never got around to playing (like Knights in the Nightmare), so I guess I could play those... Or go back to postgame Tactics Ogre stuff...

Tactics Ogre is one of the games I bought as a UMD, never played, then re-purchased on Vita. Didn't feel too bad doing it since I bought the UMD for next to nothing as GS was liquidating its PSP inventory. I look forward to actually playing it this time though, as I love SRPGs and it's supposedly the pinnacle of the genre.

Have you already tried Monster Hunter Freedom Unite?

No, not yet. I decided to try GEB first since it's supposedly a solid introduction to the genre.

Staal

Is there any news on improvements on the browser or internet apps? I would love to be able to use youtube on my Vita.

Grinchy

Banned
Uncharted has really messed me up for other shooters on Vita. I was playing the Unit 13 demo yesterday, and I kept trying to use gyro aiming lol. Unit 13 does aiming really well, but after playing a ton of Uncharted, I'm starting to wish all games would use it as an option.

Oni Jazar

Uncharted has really messed me up for other shooters on Vita. I was playing the Unit 13 demo yesterday, and I kept trying to use gyro aiming lol. Unit 13 does aiming really well, but after playing a ton of Uncharted, I'm starting to wish all games would use it as an option.

It has messed me up for other shooters period. I was playing Uncharted 3 today and was trying to gyro aim with the DualShock3!

orioto

Good Art™
Is there any news on improvements on the browser or internet apps? I would love to be able to use youtube on my Vita.

The japanese bookmark for downloading youtube vid is great at least.

As for my experience with Vita i just finished my first psp rpg on it, Tactic Ogre.
Wasn't that great for me (the game) but i don't know, i probably didn't play it like i should have :p if a game let me grind, i abuse it pretty much. Archers are so efficient in this game and once you have one or two
ninja
with good rank, that's a blood bath.

Grinchy

Banned
It has messed me up for other shooters period. I was playing Uncharted 3 today and was trying to gyro aim with the DualShock3!

haha I did that with Resident Evil 5 a few days ago. I hadn't played PS3 in a while but my brother and I wanted to play some co-op. I kept messing up because I was tilting my damn controller instead of using the sticks.

spats

Saw on Twitter that there's a new(?) Vita firmware update, 1.67. Or is it some old optional patch that I missed? 97MB download after all.

PaulLFC

Does anyone really care about baseball in the UK though?
Not massively, but it's shown on ESPN over here, and if there was no audience I guess they wouldn't show it, so there must be some interest.

Stuff like FSG taking over Liverpool helped to generate a bit of interest because they also own the Red Sox.

So, do games from other regions require you to format the memory card and switch accounts before you can play them or earn trophies?

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Not massively, but it's shown on ESPN over here, and if there was no audience I guess they wouldn't show it, so there must be some interest.

Stuff like FSG taking over Liverpool helped to generate a bit of interest because they also own the Red Sox.

So, do games from other regions require you to format the memory card and switch accounts before you can play them or earn trophies?

Im playing the US versions of FIFA and MvC3 on my UK account without any re-formatting requirements. Same memory card is also holding a ton of EU PSP games and saves/install data for my EU Everybody's Golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom