• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cave |OT| Choose your own Adventurers

soepje

I played this game with the hillbilly, knight and adventurer, and the ending didn´t seem good, are there different endings? Also, i started playing with three other characters now, but is this actually worth it since untill now everything is the same?

nickcv

I played this game with the hillbilly, knight and adventurer, and the ending didn´t seem good, are there different endings? Also, i started playing with three other characters now, but is this actually worth it since untill now everything is the same?

the personal areas are different, also you can have both a good and bad ending for each character

Time Traveler puzzle would have been the best if it wasn't for the cumbersome ''control'' issue for one particular puzzle while switching characters.

I had the right idea at first but because I didn't do a switch while still holding a button, it did not work until I had to read about the holding the button in while switching fuuuuuuu

maty

Well, after 14 hours, I've 100% this game and I'm done with The Cave.

I liked it, especially some of the character specific puzzles, and enjoyed The Cave's remarks.

Nevertheless, I found many faults for a game that requires multiple runs to experience all endings.

Some major stuff that should have been avoided:

. unskippable intro and cutscenes (or maybe I just couldn't find the skip button),
. repeated shared puzzles (by the 3rd playthrough, you'll hate the miner section).
. the trinket collecting at the beginning (again, repetition makes this part really annoying)

Other minor stuff that annoyed me was how slow climbing ropes is, or that most of the time when you jump from one platform to the other your character needs to grab the ledge and push him/herself up, making the pace extra slow besides platforming not being too precise.

I would have also preferred for the puzzles to change if you were going for the good or bad ending.

Overall, a nice game, with good puzzles (though not too difficult) and sense of humor but with many things to be improved, if a sequel is ever made.

EXTRA NOTE: If anyone is going after the achievements on pc, some are bugged and they need to be done with a keyboard and not a gamepad or they won't pop up.

playing as Hillbilly, Twins and Monk on PSN at home,
playing as Knight, Adventurer, Time Traveller on Steam at work.

I am loving this game and it grows on me more and more as I play.

Sorry Scientist lol, I will play you last because you seem the most borningest.

I don't get the lowe metercritic ranking eh, youngsters these days.

After playing with all the characters I gotta say the Scientist is the most boring.

Controls could've been so much better indeed, and all the shared areas should've been skippable like The Zoo.

maty

Do you remember any specific ones?

Yes

Don't Fill Up On Fortune Cookies
Win-win-win-win-win-win-win
Corruption
Redemption
The Whole Story

For example, for Win-win-win-win-win-win-win, I recommend playing normally with a gamepad until you get 6 of the 7 characters out of the cave. When you have only 1 left, save and exit, unplug the gamepad and play with the keyboard. The same for the fortune teller and the endings. That should do it.

You can also check your progress regarding the fortune teller and the good and bad endings in the unlock.sav file stored in the following location

C:/users/yourname/appdata/roaming/doublefine/thecave/*Numbers*

I used this discussion on steam community to activate a few achievements that I've already met the requirements

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221810/discussions/0/846943514109612896/#p5

And if your save file gets corrupted by any chance, check this site

http://stgsko.perseus.uberspace.de/cave/

Hope that helps :)

kinggroin

Banned
Tried the demo, but gonna have to pass on the Wii U version. Image quality and visuals are very poor. Looks sub HD (very pixel and blurry, but with some kind of post processing AA) and it rarely maintains 30fps :-(

PC it is then.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Just watched the Zero Punctuation review and made me think about something..spoilers for an unfair abstract puzzle, and a comment on its unfairness.

So getting the good ending involved returning the prize/gift/whatever three times. Now, part of me agrees with Yahtzee that that is insane, but the idea of role playing a character as persistent seems interesting. We are so used to static characters, or at the most maybe getting one more thing out of them, and usually it's a joke. I guess spam clicking on blizzard rts units is fun, but why should being persistent be a bad call?

chiablo

My opinion of The Cave: Had this come out in the early 90's at the peak of LucasArts adventure games, it would have been heralded as the greatest game ever made. Back then we were a lot more lax about tedium in our games, it's strange how far we've come.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
My opinion of The Cave: Had this come out in the early 90's at the peak of LucasArts adventure games, it would have been heralded as the greatest game ever made. Back then we were a lot more lax about tedium in our games, it's strange how far we've come.

I'm thinking pretty much the opposite, if this came out when adventure games were at their height, it would be considered way too easy, way too short, way too casual, being all chopped up and repetitive and having no story worth of an adventure game whatsoever.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Not a chance broham. It's *way* too easy, it'd have gotten shredded back then for that.

Aaron

No way. I actually just went back and played Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. That game is positively snappy. Actions are almost instantaneous. There was actually very little tedium in old adventure games, except when you were stuck on a puzzle. It was really before games felt the need to be cinematic, and started stretching things out.

nickcv

I'm thinking pretty much the opposite, if this came out when adventure games were at their height, it would be considered way too easy, way too short, way too casual, being all chopped up and repetitive and having no story worth of an adventure game whatsoever.

Not a chance broham. It's *way* too easy, it'd have gotten shredded back then for that.

No way. I actually just went back and played Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. That game is positively snappy. Actions are almost instantaneous. There was actually very little tedium in old adventure games, except when you were stuck on a puzzle. It was really before games felt the need to be cinematic, and started stretching things out.

qft!

story wise DoTT is so much superior that is not even funny

here is how I rank the characters in terms of usefulness and coolness.

1- Twins (being able to ghost on levers/buttons reduces the use of the 3rd character).
2- Time Traveler (she speeds up two puzzles greatly with her ability through thin walls).
3- Monk (he speeds up a puzzle or two by grabbing an item across thin walls).
4- Knight (his shield helps surviving falling from heights and near dynamite blasts)
5- Hillbilly (interesting character, good for swimming that’s about it)
6- Adventurer (speeds up a crate pushing area here and there with hook grapple)
7- Scientist (limited area usefulness, most boring personality)

I can't play the game anymore. The stutter on the Wii U version is too much for me. :(

really can't play a game because of a few stutter or frame rate issues?

I don't know man that sounds pretty anal. You must have hated gaming in the n64-ps1 days.

I think the game is great either way.

Effect

Finally played the demo on the Wii U. Had downloaded it earlier but haven't touched it until now. Fun but I wish the demo was longer. I will say though when it ended I did want to keep playing to see what the rest of the cave was like. However I don't think I'd want to go back through the game with other characters after I've seen everything.

Does the game have a decent length on the first playthrough? Trying to see if $15 will be worth one playthrough.

Wok

here is how I rank the characters in terms of usefulness and coolness.

1- Twins (being able to ghost on levers/buttons reduces the use of the 3rd character).
2- Time Traveler (she speeds up two puzzles greatly with her ability through thin walls).
3- Monk (he speeds up a puzzle or two by grabbing an item across thin walls).
4- Knight (his shield helps surviving falling from heights and near dynamite blasts)
5- Hillbilly (interesting character, good for swimming that’s about it)
6- Adventurer (speeds up a crate pushing area here and there with hook grapple)
7- Scientist (limited area usefulness, most boring personality)

Okay, so I am playing with the three least useful characters... A bad choice, I guess.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Bought the WiiU version, very disappointing that it doesn't have off-TV play.

I totally missed this, i was gonna buy it and then forgot. Just saw a trailer and gonna get it tonight i think. Any recommendations for a new player?

jett

D-Member
I've had this for over a month and just earlier I finished my first run. Ended in kind of a weird note, I thought there was going to more to it for some reason. Like The Cave itself said, no lessons were learned. :p I'd replay it with different characters but I didn't really appreciate having to move back and forth through the same places multiple times to carry X or Y object. Overall I liked it and enjoyed the humor, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've had this for over a month and just earlier I finished my first run. Ended in kind of a weird note, I thought there was going to more to it for some reason. Like The Cave itself said, no lessons were learned. :p I'd replay it with different characters but I didn't really appreciate having to move back and forth through the same places multiple times to carry X or Y object. Overall I liked it and enjoyed the humor, though.

My second run went surprisingly fast (knowing the solutions to the non-character specific puzzles speeds them up pretty nicely) and I enjoyed all 3 of the new characters I went with quite a bit. I felt it was worth it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Seems like an awesome game but no offtv play no buy. Im sorry but yes it is like that!
It's very disappointing. With Ron gone, I doubt they'll ever patch it in :/

Too bad, because the game is pretty great so far (playing it veeeeery slowly).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Beat the game today with Hillbilly, Twins and Time Traveler, and thoroughly enjoyed all their scenarios.
I had no idea you could get good endings. Will try that for my second run.

Replicant

I just got it free from PS+. It looks good but what am I supposed to do? I selected 3 characters but I can't tell how their selection will affect the gameplay and noe I'm stuck at that
Blue Dragon
Puzzle.

Raoh

Got this from PS+, what a cool little game.

All the co op without having to play with people.

Brilliant.

Playing with the Knight, Twins and Monk.

Finally got around to putting some time in this game (Wii U) and picked the knight, hillbilly, and time traveler.

I was having a decent time with it until I reached a game-breaking bug in the hillbilly stage. I had dropped the barbell, saved and exited, and now for some reason, none of my characters can pick up the item, so I can't proceed. Very frustrating and such a waste of time.

I know I'd be able to speed through the first couple of puzzles now, but it really kills any motivation to play when stuff like that happens. Can't remember the last time I encountered a bug that forced me to start an entire game over.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Started playing my PS+ copy today, got to the second personal puzzle but I have really mixed feelings about this game (going with Knight, Time Traveler and Scientist).

The good:
- Cave's narration
- NPCs
- Some of the puzzles

The bad:
- Tediousness of the puzzles so far, especially distances between different parts. You can't die anyway and most of the platforming seems like it's there just to slow you down. Also the puzzles being "bring item X to a far away place Y".
- Cave should talk more often.
- Mute protagonists.

Doubt I will pick it up to finish it tbh.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey guys i was playing really fine it on my ps3 when i decided to do the game update... Now everytime it says that saves are invalid and i have to delete them! :(
What to do? Wait for a patch or delete it and reinstall it without the patch?
I really love the game, it has a really lucasartesque vibe, but i don't want to lose other saves.

Been playing this and now the game is stuck at the "Loading" screen when I chose continue. Guess my save file is corrupted... no idea how that happened though. I exit the game and PS3 (super slim) beeps twice.

LakeEarth

I accidentally broke the narrative for the Knight's dragon puzzle using the time traveller. When you get the Dragon's gold,
he escapes and kills everyone. The game goes "WHO LEFT THE GATE OPEN!!?!?!", which would've been funny, except I went through the gate using the time traveler's ability. The gate was never opened. Whoops!

Vagabundo

Fuck. Just applied a 1.01 update on the PS3 and my save game is gone. Well there is no continue on the start menu. Bugger.

The reason I applied it was because
the haystacks didn't disappear when I set them on fire. The whole of the carnaval went up, but the haystacks continued to block my way.

I was really enjoying it too.

So I saw The Cave is $5.10 on Gamersgate. Was thinking about getting this and that's an awesome price but I hate not being able to back up my games due to DRM and all that. Wish this would hit GOG or retail disc.

Top Bottom