• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale '17 Hidden Gems & Under-The-Radar Recommendations thread

nded

be honest, this or wipeout omega?

I'd go with Redout because I've been playing Wipeout HD for years now. Haven't played 2048 though, so I'm still considering the Omega Collection for when the price drops.

The two games feel very different considering how similar they look. Redout's much faster with somewhat less emphasis on combat and it's pitch/yaw system feels more intuitive to me than Wipeout's airbrakes.

Not The Robots -80% $9.99 $1.99

header.jpg

ss_7c158bfd14609fe087dda06b93b3ad6e97845ace.600x338.jpg

ss_a79e1aa6426c1f2e75b13322f5fa85b7ad0e4f4a.600x338.jpg

A pleasantly goofy stealth roguelike-ish/Pac-Man hybrid. You are a robot who must avoid detection, and consume all the office furniture you see that would otherwise provide cover. The generated rooms adjust their difficulty balance wonderfully depending where you are in the game, hell, even the very distinct (and not bad at all) soundtrack is randomly generated. Its quite a trip.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Monolith

True bullet-hell-style WASD-mouse aim SHMUP roguelike where you try to avoid getting hit and blasting everything.

Has a Isaac style rooms and really cool bosses. Simple but deep dodge mechanic and has faster playthroughs compared to something like Gungeon.

I'm having a blast so far. It just launched so not a crazy sale, but the devs are planning on adding even more content. It already seems like a 15-20hr game to completely beat it.

header.jpg

ss_0f519677a38e4f89dd0dd8c6c30843bab84537df.600x338.jpg

ss_2a436973d7bda1f866eba87fb11bb3092af66f39.600x338.jpg

ss_21583c9f24dcf1e347280169944be12da9d8f567.600x338.jpg

Anyone know of any decent blobbers or blobber-likes on steam? Looking for stuff I may have missed

List of stuff I have already played:
Wizardry 6-8
Might and Magic X
Starcrawlers
Legend of Grimrock 1/2
Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
The Quest
Stranger in Sword City

I'll vouch for this, its short but good fun

There are another couple of Experience games. Operation Abyss and Operation Babel. Ray Gigant is on steam too.

red capsule

the nausea hl2 caused me the other day was unreal

felt like i got off from a terrible 8hr long canoe ride in the middle of the ocean

edit: wrong thead, sorry lol

Awesome this looks really cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

While we're speaking of VN's, if I had to pick between SteinsGate and Danganronpa, which would it be?

And separate from visual novels, how is Banner Saga?

Banner Saga is pretty cool. Has a few issues but I enjoyed it.

I enjoyned Steins;Gate a bit more than Danganronpa but both are awesome and you wont go wrong either way.

Monolith

True bullet-hell-style WASD-mouse aim SHMUP roguelike where you try to avoid getting hit and blasting everything.

Has a Isaac style rooms and really cool bosses. Simple but deep dodge mechanic and has faster playthroughs compared to something like Gungeon.

I'm having a blast so far. It just launched so not a crazy sale, but the devs are planning on adding even more content. It already seems like a 15-20hr game to completely beat it.

header.jpg

ss_0f519677a38e4f89dd0dd8c6c30843bab84537df.600x338.jpg

ss_2a436973d7bda1f866eba87fb11bb3092af66f39.600x338.jpg

ss_21583c9f24dcf1e347280169944be12da9d8f567.600x338.jpg

Yeah, I've really been wanting to play this one. Some parts look like genuine bullet hell craziness.

Zerbaderb

Neo Member
Enjoyed just reading through the thread. Will probably pick up Streets of Fury EX and play some more Olli Olli 2.

Here's my submission to the list:

Reigns

qlpvL9o.jpg

50% off - $1.49

A concept that has been executed simply and brilliantly via a card game. You are a monarch and you go through your reign by selecting one of two cards presented to you offering a choice. Do you increase your military? Converse with Satan? Arrange a marriage with the enemy to create peace? The scenarios are endless and more are unlocked the more you play. The goal is to live as long as you can. An heir dies and inherits a nickname, and an heir takes his place. It's surprisingly deep, funny, and extremely easy to kill time in. I can't recommend it enough. Its Devolver so its got their typical sense of humor.

NIN90

Refunded Turok because it's locked to 60 frames which is a deal breaker when it comes to FPS games for me. :(

Edit uh wrong thread

zdenko1

If you are programmer (and like programming) or at least interested in programming definitely check out Screeps. It's MMO RTS where you program your units in real time using Javascript. You do classic Starcraft RTS stuff - harvest resources, fight with other players, contsruct units etc. It's subscription based but it's optional as you can play in 3 modes:

1. Official servers - you play on official servers created by developers and maintaining it costs money so you have to pay subscription. If you stop paying subscription your computational power will get limited but you can still play (not competitively though as you'll very likely get destroyed by other players with more resources).
  2. Private servers - It is open source game so anyone can host its own dedicated server (here's github repo for dedicated server)
  3. Single player - Nothing to explain here. Everything's running on your PC without any servers.

I never played it, never heard about and steam recommended it for me because of TIS-100, Infinifactory and others. I don't know how the game actually plays but:

• I'm a programmer and this sounds really interesting for me
  • Reviews are very positive overall and mostly positive recent

aku:jiki

Anyone know of any decent blobbers or blobber-likes on steam? Looking for stuff I may have missed
Dungeon Kingdom looks great but it's still in early access and apparently still has some issues. Looks like a definite wishlist spot for you though.

If you're a nut for the genre and need more to the point of accepting lower quality, you can also check out Heroes of a Broken Land, Zavix Tower and Heroes of the Monkey Tavern. They're not great but I thought they were OK.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
That was an IOS game. Have they add all the DLCs in this version? It was a good game. Im recommending it.
There are a pair of dlcs you can buy on Steam, i have the base version though.

anyone know of any card game gems? I tend to like games like Star Realms, or hybrid crpg games like Guild of Dungeoneering or Card Hunter or even abstract card games like Hand of Fate [loved it]... I'm less into 'design your deck' games that have you playing people with $100 decks.

You could buy Etherlords 1 & 2.

Ladekabel

I don't know if it was mentioned in this thread already but I remember there being a Diablo-like with a card component. Sadly I can't remember its name. Can anyone help me out?

jimboton

List of stuff I have already played:
Wizardry 6-8
Might and Magic X
Starcrawlers
Legend of Grimrock 1/2
Fall of the Dungeon Guardians
The Quest
Stranger in Sword City

I'll vouch for this, its short but good fun

There's Ruzar - The Life Stone. Not sure if it's any good.

Danneee

Bought Crimson Clover because of this thread and boy is it goooood, and flipped/rotated screen mode on a Surface Pro is awesome for shooters!

My vote for an underrated goes to
Hand of Fate
header.jpg

A deck builder rouge-like where the deck you makes the events you encounter. The combat plays like the Arkham series but the real fun is the encounters and the options given. At $5 it's worth the price.

poncle

Was looking for something similar to Dead Cells, but most metroidvanias are more oriented on platforming rather than combat. Then I remembered Magicmaker, it's a lot of fun to make your own spells and obliterate swarms of enemies. Just check the videos, since the screenshots aren't very descriptive of what the game is about.

Magicmaker - 50% off - £3.49

Kifimbo

I don't really have time to write a long recommandation, but I'll add Militia to the list of great suggestions in the thread. Simple, easy to play, hard to master. A 'just another round' type of game. No bells or whistles, just pure strategy game design.

It being hidden or under the radar is perhaps questionable considering it has 4971 reviews, but the consensus of them, which is Overwhelmingly Positive, is earned. And I'd never heard of it before.

Refunct - 67% off - €0.98

Refunct is a pleasant, mellow, breezy, feel-good first person platforming/parkour game where you're jumping around on platforms to relaxing music, coloring them in as you do so.
Also there are orbs. I have no idea what they do but as is customary with orbs, you gotta collect them.
It's nice. Short, as in about 30 minutes, but worth it.

Top Bottom