• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

-KRS-

I think I remember the instructions telling me to delete the old one at some point before installing the new one but I could be wrong.

canocha

Hmmm,maybe the new luma updater has different title id,that's why it didn't replace the old one,the dev is someone else.

I think the new one is for B9S and has a new ID.

But the software list in shown in install order if im not mistaken, so it is easy to identify the old one.

Opa-Pa

Uuh, anyone else having audio issues on post 1.4 builds of gambatte? It sounds like it's missing channels, it's pretty distorted too...

I would simply go back to 1.3 but for some reason the retroarch menu doesn't recognize any inputs when trying that build again.

Edit: Eh, worked it out. Turns out post-1.4 releases of the core are simply broken? Went back to 1.3.3, deleted some "gamepad" config from my root and it worked.

Gloam

Followed the guide as per the website from the OP. How can I load out of region games? The Homebrew Launcher doesn't have the option for me. I'm on 11.3.0.36E.

Opa-Pa

I feel you, I think injections are kinda terrible in most cases, so I use gPSP on Retroarch myself. But it requires a n3DS, sadly.

Opa-Pa

Man I was complaining about the PC Engine core of Retroarch being a mess on 3DS like a week ago, but this is working perfectly. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Menitta

So I'm looking to play a translated DS rom. Is there any way to play it via 3DS homebrew? The only one that would work is my launch OG 3DS that's on 9.5.0

So I'm looking to play a translated DS rom. Is there any way to play it via 3DS homebrew? The only one that would work is my launch OG 3DS that's on 9.5.0

You can use DS/DSi flashcards if you have one. Luma reenables almost all of them. You might need TWL Loader for a few specific cards though.

There's also TWL Loader in SD mode but it's more theoretically impressive than practically, so it's probably not great.

Menitta

You can use DS/DSi flashcards if you have one. Luma reenables almost all of them. You might need TWL Loader for a few specific cards though.

There's also TWL Loader in SD mode but it's more theoretically impressive than practically, so it's probably not great.

Figured Flashcart would be my best bet. I'll have to check eBay then. I'll check TWL loader first just to see. It's a VN so it shouldn't impact it too much but if music is messed up, then forget it.

Thank you very much!

How do I convert .CIA files back to .3ds? Trying to get citra running on my PC and all my cart rips are .CIA and citra can run them.

Edit: so I found a convertor and when it was done said something something retail ROM but still spit out a .3ds file. Tried to load it in citra and it says it needs to be decrypted. What can I do now besides re ripping my collection?

Edit2: I havent done jack squat to my 3ds for a long while. i am using aureinand for my emunand cfw. how do i open decrypt9 or ftbrony?

Bowl0l

Figured Flashcart would be my best bet. I'll have to check eBay then. I'll check TWL loader first just to see. It's a VN so it shouldn't impact it too much but if music is messed up, then forget it.

Thank you very much!
If you can find a cart that works or if TWL works, do PM me. I imported AA:I2 but i completely forgotten about the game after AA6 came out.

How do I convert .CIA files back to .3ds? Trying to get citra running on my PC and all my cart rips are .CIA and citra can run them.

Edit: so I found a convertor and when it was done said something something retail ROM but still spit out a .3ds file. Tried to load it in citra and it says it needs to be decrypted. What can I do now besides re ripping my collection?

Edit2: I havent done jack squat to my 3ds for a long while. i am using aureinand for my emunand cfw. how do i open decrypt9 or ftbrony?

You probably need to upgrade your CFW a bit to at least a9lh , but there's no reason not to go to b9s , then you can dump decrypted stuff using GodMode9 or Decrypt9WIP if you prefer it.

It is possible to decrypt on PC with certain files but the easiest way to get them is to dump them from a b9s booted GM9/D9W anyway.

Just use the guide at 3ds.guide to upgrade.

You probably need to upgrade your CFW a bit to at least a9lh , but there's no reason not to go to b9s , then you can dump decrypted stuff using GodMode9 or Decrypt9WIP if you prefer it.

It is possible to decrypt on PC with certain files but the easiest way to get them is to dump them from a b9s booted GM9/D9W anyway.

Just use the guide at 3ds.guide to upgrade.

got it running. had to run before bootup. couldn't get godmode to work. now just waiting for it to decrypt everything before I can decrypt everything. >_<

the .sav files it spits out, can i use these with citra?

So long time, first time; i think.
First, I honestly haven't used my CFW for anything. I've kinda been out of the 3DS game as I've been super busy but the Miitopia demo caught my eye and I wanted to give it a go. I updated my (emu) firmware as I thought I had done previously safely and now I can no longer boot into CFW. I had previously loaded CFW year(s) ago when it took hours to do and I'm not even sure what method I used. I plan on taking out my SD and checking everything out so I know relatively where I am and try to update using the 3ds.guide.

tl:dr: updated emunand firmware and no longer loading, fixable?

I know the details are vague but I'm just looking for a quick yes/no in theory that this is possibly fixable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So long time, first time; i think.
First, I honestly haven't used my CFW for anything. I've kinda been out of the 3DS game as I've been super busy but the Miitopia demo caught my eye and I wanted to give it a go. I updated my (emu) firmware as I thought I had done previously safely and now I can no longer boot into CFW. I had previously loaded CFW year(s) ago when it took hours to do and I'm not even sure what method I used. I plan on taking out my SD and checking everything out so I know relatively where I am and try to update using the 3ds.guide.

tl:dr: updated emunand firmware and no longer loading, fixable?

I know the details are vague but I'm just looking for a quick yes/no in theory that this is possibly fixable.

If you updated to the latest Luma, you have to update to B9S as well. Luma is not compatible with A9HL anymore.

Producer

I feel you, I think injections are kinda terrible in most cases, so I use gPSP on Retroarch myself. But it requires a n3DS, sadly.

I mean, in terms of features yeah gba injects do suck in that aspect, but they play and look pretty much perfect. Ill choose that over save states and sleep mode etc any day

womp

So my (hit by the recent banwave) N3DS has a system update, but I am currently at 11.4.0.37 and I have not seen any reports of a new update anywhere.

Wonder what this could be?

Opa-Pa

I mean, in terms of features yeah gba injects do suck in that aspect, but they play and look pretty much perfect. Ill choose that over save states and sleep mode etc any day

I could tolerate lack of save states and sleep mode, but having to tinker with them to get rid of filters, and on top of that having to deal with inverted A and B inputs... No, it's awful for most platformers. gPSP runs almost everything at full speed and no glitches nowadays, so for me it's a no brainer.

Izayoi

Banned
Is it possible to migrate my Nintendo account from my CFW 3DS to a different 3DS system without going online?

I have a N3DS XL with an older version of a9lh/LUMA. I also have a digital copy of Sun I would like to have transferred.

Am I being overly cautious? This talk of a ban wave makes me nervous and I want to ditch all of my Pokemon somewhere safe before I play around with CFW.

Is it possible to migrate my Nintendo account from my CFW 3DS to a different 3DS system without going online?

I have a N3DS XL with an older version of a9lh/LUMA. I also have a digital copy of Sun I would like to have transferred.

Am I being overly cautious? This talk of a ban wave makes me nervous and I want to ditch all of my Pokemon somewhere safe before I play around with CFW.

No, you either need to connect to the Nintendo Servers to transfer your account, or you'd have to decrypt and transfer manually which could only be done to another CFW system which is pointless, and it'd make the recipient system more obviously flagged than the donor.

If you just want to preserve Pokemon, the best bet is to get PKSM, transfer your Pokemon from Bank to PKSM, then use either a game card or local wireless to transfer to a clean Pokebank system when necessary eg to transfer to next gen.

Izayoi

Banned
No, you either need to connect to the Nintendo Servers to transfer your account, or you'd have to decrypt and transfer manually which could only be done to another CFW system which is pointless, and it'd make the recipient system more obviously flagged than the donor.

If you just want to preserve Pokemon, the best bet is to get PKSM, transfer your Pokemon from Bank to PKSM, then use either a game card or local wireless to transfer to a clean Pokebank system when necessary eg to transfer to next gen.
What are my chances of being banned if I boot up right now and initiate the transfer? Is there a possibility my NNID would be banned? What about the clean system?

Fuck me. ;_;

What are my chances of being banned if I boot up right now and initiate the transfer? Is there a possibility my NNID would be banned? What about the clean system?

Fuck me. ;_;

No one really knows. The ban wave that happened was a one off so far and there doesn't seem to be anything that either definitely or definitely didn't get you banned (except that CFW was involved). If you log on now you're not going to be insta banned though, the ban wave already happened, you might end up flagging yourself for the next wave though (if one happens). I suspect but can't guarantee that if you transfer to a clean console it's unlikely that would then be banned.

The last ban didn't effect NNIDs, you could still go to the Eshop and buy stuff etc, your console was just banned from using Nintendo provided online features.

evolve9

So I just got my 2DS and I want to mod it to get rid of the bloody region lock (seriously, Nintendo what the hell?). But this ban wave has me concerned. How safe would it be to mod it now, are there any precautions I should take?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Bought an Orange/Black New 3DS XL (which seem to be being phased out now that the New 2DS is coming out... they are nowhere to be found!). Came with 11.2. Hacked it easily. System transfered from my regular New 3DS. Easy-peasy.

I can't believe how far this stuff has come. Back in my day, hacking a 3DS was a feat of patience. It took hours. I literally did this in 10 minutes. The system transfer took more time than hacking the thing, actually.

Producer

I could tolerate lack of save states and sleep mode, but having to tinker with them to get rid of filters, and on top of that having to deal with inverted A and B inputs... No, it's awful for most platformers. gPSP runs almost everything at full speed and no glitches nowadays, so for me it's a no brainer.

Theres a pc program that removes all that junk automatically. As for the buttons..i dont really have a problem with them. The x button functions as the b button , thats worked fine for me so far.

I'm trying to move my files to a new SD card, but windows never moves the .app files and I forced to skip them...

I need help with this.

That's never happened to me. You aren't moving it to PC in between (it's possible that the deep bearing and names might hit the path limit if you were) ? Failing that you may want to make sure that Read Only is off on the recipient card (only relevant on an SD card) and that your virus scanner isn't interfering.

That's never happened to me. You aren't moving it to PC in between (it's possible that the deep bearing and names might hit the path limit if you were) ? Failing that you may want to make sure that Read Only is off on the recipient card (only relevant on an SD card) and that your virus scanner isn't interfering.

Now it was the .tmd file. I keep getting this

WNZARO0.jpg

Now it was the .tmd file. I keep getting this

WNZARO0.jpg

This is probably not what you want to hear but that suggests your SD card is corrupt. However before panicking it may just be the adaptor (if you're using a microSD to SD adaptor ) or card reader, so try another one first. If you still get that error you need to repair your SD card (use the scan and repair option in Windows) which will likely invalidate a fair chunk your 3DS stuff meaning you have to redownload / reinstall it.

I had that happen before.
The first time it was because I was using a generic SD card adapter that corrupted the contents of the SD card. (then again I had used it years ago on the Wii and it never gave me trouble, but I stopped using it now)
I use the one in my laptop now, and I had a similar error when backing up the entired SD card.I assume the problem was path limits because when I copied the folders individually there was no issue. I did a md5 hash of the files to check if they were copied correctly.

I had that happen before.
The first time it was because I was using a generic SD card adapter that corrupted the contents of the SD card. (then again I had used it years ago on the Wii and it never gave me trouble, but I stopped using it now)
I use the one in my laptop now, and I had a similar error when backing up the entired SD card.I assume the problem was path limits because when I copied the folders individually there was no issue. I did a md5 hash of the files to check if they were copied correctly.

This just might be. My SD Adapter got busted so I'm using a random one that I had laying around.

Ashhong

Is there anyway to get my R4DS to run on my new 3ds running Luma? Hacked it back in December with soundhax and haven't updated it since

Ashhong

It should either work natively on Luma 8 (you'll need to upgrade to B9S though) or TWLoader of that fails.

Hmm I think I'm on Luma 7, though I can't remember. I tried launching and I get an error message saying I need to shut down my 3ds. I should be on A9LH right? I'll follow the guide to upgrade, thanks

So I currently use my modded 3ds for region free games and injected VC titles. Outside of that, I just play regularly owned eshop and cartridge games.

If I backed up all my games onto my SD card, would I risk being banned?

Bonus points if backing up DQVIII English and Japanese copies to replace the music for the English version would increase my risk.

I doubt they would, but I'd just like to know.

So I currently use my modded 3ds for region free games and injected VC titles. Outside of that, I just play regularly owned eshop and cartridge games.

If I backed up all my games onto my SD card, would I risk being banned?

Bonus points if backing up DQVIII English and Japanese copies to replace the music for the English version would increase my risk.

I doubt they would, but I'd just like to know.

Backing up to SD isn't detectable at all assuming you're using a B9S started Decrypt9WIP/GM9 they launch before Internet or logging is set up. They'd have to do some weird memory scraping at very early launch to detect it.

A patched English version with changed music might be detectable, particularly installing it, but so far they seem to be using more general things like detecting non-official software launched while online.

Top Bottom