• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

one thing that sucks with digital distribution is auto patching. i have some levels saved that I last played about 2 years ago. these levels wont work with the most recent version of minecraft, and there is no way to download the old version. i will never see the levels again :-(

it also sucks when steam auto updates a game and all your mods break and you cant downgrade.

The new launcher will let you downgrade to 1.2.5. If it's before that, you can try and hunt down the version here. Orrrr, I'm sure there's some way other way to rollback versions.

Edit: HI PAGE 2!

ShadiWulf

Jeb posted that he's been working on biomes and lighting bugs.

Here is a shot of an extreme hills biome without the lighting bugs and with added spruce trees to the landscape:

Here is a canyon biome that he is playing around with, lots of natural colored hard clay in it:

Oooh! The Canyon biome would be great. I like the hardened clay, but it seems pretty rare to find at the moment. Not super hard, but you still gotta look hard for it, clay always seems to be in water.. gets annoying. I really hope he puts a Canyon biome in the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ew, peasant 100-page person.
You're the worst. 50-pager's are the scum of the earth.

Canyon's will only make sense if their baseline ground level is 64 and the canyons go into the ground. From that screenshot (And the height of the clouds) it looks like a mountain biome with clay instead of grass.

Also, as long as I can get these biomes by generating new chunks. We aren't restarting our world again. Ugh.

Isobelise

buuuhhh, I want to build, but I don't dare to build if things get updates to 1.6 in mindcrack :(
Thaumcraft warped city I want to make yooouu, so anything on when/if we get a 1.6 update?

if not I'll just continue livening (no idea how to write that) up the place with noisy critters

Morokh

one thing that sucks with digital distribution is auto patching. i have some levels saved that I last played about 2 years ago. these levels wont work with the most recent version of minecraft, and there is no way to download the old version. i will never see the levels again :-(

it also sucks when steam auto updates a game and all your mods break and you cant downgrade.

Luckily for you this weeks update integrates ALL previous versions of minecraft going back to the beginning of Beta in the launcher ;)

Wired

Oh my gooood, spent about six or seven hours working on my mine. Things would go faster if I did things the right way the first time. Reworking things over and over until they are just right does add up...

Man, if I had the same work ethic when it comes to, you know, work I'd be a millionaire by now.

edit: Also don't do major remodeling when dead tired, you'll just wake up the next morning and wonder what the hell you were thinking... lol

M4shy

Neo Member
Here is a canyon biome that he is playing around with, lots of natural colored hard clay in it:
Dinnerbone was changing some things that would help the community or something alone those lines. He tweeted a new control page - could it be built in tools to allow cinematic effects? Such as a flying camera of sorts.
Or the ability to zoom out in third person? Since in that picture it looks like the camera is locked to the player, but zoomed out.

Give or take some form of natural spawning hard clay would be brilliant.

What do you guys think about my friends castle? Note: he's finished it now, and I'll try to get more pics

Minecraft-FinalPictures16.png

Minecraft-FinalPictures44.png

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1911759-medieval-city-and-castle-server-images/

Zornica

Banned
started a nice little project a few months back...
never posted it on gaf until now.
but due to me not having any time to resume my work, it's probably in it's final form.

when I started, I had the intention of building a zeldalike dungeon by myself, one so big and diverse, you wouldn't be able to guess what awaits you around the corner.
gotta dump a few impressions, because I hope I can finish it by 2014 and won't spoil to much ^^

ofc everything is crafted by hand

ofc no dungeon would be complete without electrics...

debugging was pretty fun so far.

got another "small" sideproject to clear my mind once in a while, but thats for another pic dump ;)

edit:
found some more from the earliest part:

-Minsc-

What do you guys think about my friends castle? Note: he's finished it now, and I'll try to get more pics

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1911759-medieval-city-and-castle-server-images/

Looking good!

but due to me not having any time to resume my work, it's probably in it's final form.

when I started, I had the intention of building a zeldalike dungeon by myself, one so big and diverse, you wouldn't be able to guess what awaits you around the corner.
gotta dump a few impressions, because I hope I can finish it by 2014 and won't spoil to much ^^

got another "small" sideproject to clear my mind once in a while, but thats for another pic dump ;)

edit:

I'd like to thank you for putting us to shame. Very cool idea.

789shadow

Banned

edit:
Well this just makes me feel inadequate.

I'll post a pic of my world, it has been in the making for 3 years now, and I'm proud of the results so far:

munduno86elxc.png

Sadly only one building is 100% legit (made with limited materials and in survival mode) but since I use the game more like a construction game than anything, it's kind of justified.

So I have a mod question... and as i've been away from Minecraft for ages, I have no idea if this was patched into the game proper already.

I'll be using Oculus Rift when I get back into Minecraft, and as such I can't really tab-out, and have a browser open to check recipes, etc...

Is there a mod, or anything in game which has all the recipes in the game and is viewable in-game? IE, how to make a ladder, a half-block, whatever...? I vaguely recall some mod or other, way back when, including a recipe-book.

Sarcasm

So I have a mod question... and as i've been away from Minecraft for ages, I have no idea if this was patched into the game proper already.

I'll be using Oculus Rift when I get back into Minecraft, and as such I can't really tab-out, and have a browser open to check recipes, etc...

Is there a mod, or anything in game which has all the recipes in the game and is viewable in-game? IE, how to make a ladder, a half-block, whatever...? I vaguely recall some mod or other, way back when, including a recipe-book.

If your doing Forge mod there is NEI for 1.6.2.

There is craftory but NEI is better.

Sarcasm

Minecrift? I don't think the java code is gonna change that much for MC.

If you mean minecraft yes it works 1.4.7, 1.5.2 and 1.6.2 I have used it with many other mods.

Minecrift? I dont' think the java code is gonna change that much for MC.

If you mean minecraft yes it works 1.4.7, 1.5.2 and 1.6.2 I have used it with many other mods.

No no...

MinecRIFT is the Oculus Rift mod for Minecraft. In its most recent release it comes with a bundled installer that installs it, and a version of Optifine.

Since its a whole mod-pack unto itself, I don't know how well it will play with others.

Ark

Does anyone know of any really cool custom maps/seeds?

I'm looking for some really cool looking mountains & hills. Ideally I'm looking for a seed, but a cool custom map would work too. I'm still trying to realise the vision I had for Arkyoto way back yonder.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is the old method of port forwarding still the only way to setup a multiplayer server?

I never could figure it out with my particular router/wireless network. Any advice would be great. I have been trying to figure this out on and off for a few months.

Wired

Man I wish there were more decorative items in the game, like chairs, tables, bookshelves and so on. I don't understand why they haven't added stuff like this in yet, I mean seriously.

Now now, I know of several mods with this in mind but for some reason I'd rather not mod the game. I'd rather not rely on stuff that's not actually part of the game, feels like cheating :p

Woobie

Hello friends,
What server are the neogaf people on now? Do you all still use the 1.5.2 neocraft?
Also who do I talk to about getting building privileges?

Pjsprojects

I have a very basic question as I'm new to this, I bought the 360 version and liked how it played, so when I found out the pc version had more stuff I bought that.
However how do I make movments like the 360 version? The pc Notch sort of glides to a stop instead of just stopping like on the 360.
This niggle has put me right of the pc version and I've tweeked control settings to no avail.

z0m3le

Banned
How different is this game from Starmade? (I mean I know that Minecraft is much older but what can you do in Minecraft that you can't do in Starmade?) I've only recently started playing Starmade so maybe I just don't understand the differences but so far Starmade looks like it has more potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIJHM3a7JE in case anyone was wondering what it was.

defel

Man I wish there were more decorative items in the game, like chairs, tables, bookshelves and so on. I don't understand why they haven't added stuff like this in yet, I mean seriously.

Now now, I know of several mods with this in mind but for some reason I'd rather not mod the game. I'd rather not rely on stuff that's not actually part of the game, feels like cheating :p

But you can build all that already from the basic constituent building blocks! Its not really in the spirit of the game to be able to craft every possible item.

Dinnerbone did say a few months ago that he wanted to make the bookshelves useable though

Wired

But you can build all that already from the basic constituent building blocks! Its not really in the spirit of the game to be able to craft every possible item.

Dinnerbone did say a few months ago that he wanted to make the bookshelves useable though

Well sure, I know how to make chairs from stairs and signs, and tables with a fence and a pressure plate but other than that I dunno? Maybe I'm just very imaginative :p

z0m3le

Banned
Nice attempt at viral marketing. Not.

Just a fan of the game, haven't actually played much of minecraft because I didn't really understand it's appeal, however this game basically could of been a minecraft mod almost, I'm just wondering if there is something in minecraft that can't be done in starmade. I'm asking because the games are very similar and I don't really know enough about minecraft, figured people who have played both might have an idea.

That other game is really early on so things are being added too, I'm sort of asking because I figure stuff that is in minecraft might be added later, since the creators are obviously inspired by minecraft.

-Minsc-

Hello friends,
What server are the neogaf people on now? Do you all still use the 1.5.2 neocraft?
Also who do I talk to about getting building privileges?

Hey there! The creator of this thread is on vacation so he hasn't had a chance to add in this important piece of information. For now go to the last OT and quote the first post for the server address.
As for getting whitelisted, just scroll up the page to find Ark and send him a PM requesting to be whitelisted. At the moment it's still 1.5.2, no idea when the server will up date to 1.6.2.

I have a very basic question as I'm new to this, I bought the 360 version and liked how it played, so when I found out the pc version had more stuff I bought that.
However how do I make movments like the 360 version? The pc Notch sort of glides to a stop instead of just stopping like on the 360.
This niggle has put me right of the pc version and I've tweeked control settings to no avail.

Do you want the ability to play with a gamepad? I know there are ways but I personally haven't bothered. Personally though I say give the PC control scheme some time. If you allow yourself in your mind to adjust to the differences in controls any current qualms you have should melt away.

How different is this game from Starmade? (I mean I know that Minecraft is much older but what can you do in Minecraft that you can't do in Starmade?) I've only recently started playing Starmade so maybe I just don't understand the differences but so far Starmade looks like it has more potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIJHM3a7JE in case anyone was wondering what it was.

I haven't played that game so I really couldn't tell you. Looks kinda interesting, I'll have to check it out. Judging from the trailer it seems to lack the Earthly feel Minecraft has. I'm not sure how a seemingly space focused game would hold my interest.

z0m3le

Banned
I haven't played that game so I really couldn't tell you. Looks kinda interesting, I'll have to check it out. Judging from the trailer it seems to lack the Earthly feel Minecraft has. I'm not sure how a seemingly space focused game would hold my interest.

Yeah, it is much more of a space sim with a very heavy focus on block building in vine of minecraft, the build mode is amazingly useful and you can make more than just ships. I'm very interested to learn about what Starmade lacks, since I've gotten into this and it could lead me to play Minecraft (try it again) if there is something interesting that Starmade doesn't do, and at the very least it might point to what they will add to that game next because it's obviously heavily influenced. Anyways I'll check back in this thread over the next few days and see if anyone has answered this.

'Inspired by' is very generous. Going by that trailer, it's Minecraft ripped straight off and put in a space skybox.

The huge focus of the game is building space ships and flying them around in space combat, building the best ships and really is a space sim with the artstyle and gameplay elements from Minecraft, can you create vehicles like that in Minecraft? because that is like 90% of this game. (I actually don't know)

Nope... Still feels like viral marketing. Maybe a change in tactics? Try telling us not to try the derivative soul-less MC knock-off? Reverse psychology is awesome, I hear.

Xun

I'll post a pic of my world, it has been in the making for 3 years now, and I'm proud of the results so far:

munduno86elxc.png

Sadly only one building is 100% legit (made with limited materials and in survival mode) but since I use the game more like a construction game than anything, it's kind of justified.
Looking good dude.

Great builds in this thread guys!

phoenixyz

Is the old method of port forwarding still the only way to setup a multiplayer server?
What do you mean? You can configure which port the server uses. Then you just need to configure your NAT to forward this port to the machine you have the server running on. And of course you need to allow it in any firewalls that might be running in between.

-Minsc-

Yeah, it is much more of a space sim with a very heavy focus on block building in vine of minecraft, the build mode is amazingly useful and you can make more than just ships. I'm very interested to learn about what Starmade lacks, since I've gotten into this and it could lead me to play Minecraft (try it again) if there is something interesting that Starmade doesn't do, and at the very least it might point to what they will add to that game next because it's obviously heavily influenced. Anyways I'll check back in this thread over the next few days and see if anyone has answered this.

The huge focus of the game is building space ships and flying them around in space combat, building the best ships and really is a space sim with the artstyle and gameplay elements from Minecraft, can you create vehicles like that in Minecraft? because that is like 90% of this game. (I actually don't know)

Just messed around with the game for a while. I can see how it can be appealing to people if you like build awesomely huge ships and flying them around, combating, etc, or massive space stations. Personally I can't see it holding my interest very long, maybe if I played on a multiplayer server.

This is a game I actually wouldn't compare to Minecraft. Aside from using blocks the two games are vastly different. Minecraft's focus is mining resources, exploring, crafting, and building. We can only dream to have elaborate vehicle creation. At the end of the day though Starmade just doesn't quite grab me like Minecraft does. I will have to try the game again in multiplayer, single player just feels too sparse. The game still is only in alpha so I won't completely write it off yet.

Nope... Still feels like viral marketing. Maybe a change in tactics? Try telling us not to try the derivative soul-less MC knock-off? Reverse psychology is awesome, I hear.

Does it really matter if it's viral marketing?

Looks like things might be moving forward with regard to Bukkit :-

SuperSecretMultiplayPage said:
We have updated both Bukkit and Bukkit Dev profiles to the new Beta 1.6.2-R0.1 build. To pick up this update, restart your server. If you still are unable to get it to load, use the "Reset FTP Changes" button under the FTP section of the Server tab to force the server jar to load the latest version.

This IS NOT the "proper" release of Bukkit it is still a developer build and as such is not made available as standard (so Neocraft isn't updated yet). However it is a good indicator that things are moving forward and if nothing rears it's ugly head with this Beta then we might get the "release" version soon.

On a separate note I bloody hate Optifine. Damn mod keeps crashing minecraft after 5 mins with out of memory messages. Minecraft runs fine without optifine so guess I am going all native with 1.6.2.

-Minsc-

Looks like things might be moving forward with regard to Bukkit :-

This IS NOT the "proper" release of Bukkit it is still a developer build and as such is not made available as standard (so Neocraft isn't updated yet). However it is a good indicator that things are moving forward and if nothing rears it's ugly head with this Beta then we might get the "release" version soon.

On a separate note I bloody hate Optifine. Damn mod keeps crashing minecraft after 5 mins with out of memory messages. Minecraft runs fine without optifine so guess I am going all native with 1.6.2.

How much memory do you have allocated? I recall reading somewhere that MC runs better if you lower the amount to around 256-512MB.

I've been thinking; if possible should we use large biomes?

I say go for it, that should help with fitting large scale builds on one biome.

How much memory do you have allocated? I recall reading somewhere that MC runs better if you lower the amount to around 256-512MB.

Allocated 4086mbs to it but Optifine still craps out. I have no problem running minecraft (get 200fps in vanilla) I only use Optifine because it has a decent draw distance compared to the vanilla minecraft. If Mojang could KINDLY let us increase the draw distance I wouldn't need to use Optifine. I really wish they would remember not all of us are playing minecraft on bloody netbooks :p

I will have a go at lowering the memory allocation but I get the feeling it is something screwy with Optifine.

Grinchy

Banned
That castle looks better than anything I've ever built. I'm always astounded at what people can build. It would be so cool if you could build something in MC and then have a real model of it built and shipped to you (if that doesn't already exist).

I'm honestly shocked that we haven't seen Minecraft "lego" buckets that just come with a ton of pieces like the ones you'd find in the game. Anything you could build in the game, you can build in real life.

Top Bottom