• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Before I played this and just watched people I thought I would be a coward and just get good weapons, make a beeline towards the middle and just camp.

But actually playing it I never do that, it just seems boring. There is such a good feeling in outmaneuvering or stalking someone and getting the drop on them.

I'm the same way but come the final 20ish I usually get camped to death by one of the people who did do that. Camping is just so powerful in this game because of the camera and lack of bullet direction indicators. I wish it was less so.

Hylian7

Had a really awesome duo chicken dinner with a friend last night. Circle ended in the field West of school. We went by the wall till the circle was about to close out the school. At that point it was us and three groups. We knew one was coming down the hill from the water tower, and as the school closed out, we saw a group take off from inside. We killed both of them, then ran behind a hill. 6 left. My friend ran ahead and I couldn't see him, but heard shooting his direction. He knocked one out, but the other guy knocked him out. I came around and killed the guy. 4 left. Revived my friend, he healed, then we had the last two that were on the water tower hill before. I poked my head up over the hill, headshotted him with my Kar98k, he was knocked out. Then I spotted his buddy behind a tree further left of him. I told my friend all we had to do was rush him. I got a couple of shots in him, but got knocked out. My current rushed in and finished the job. WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER

My friend apparently didn't realize I knocked out that guy's buddy and he was pretty far from him.

I'm waiting till they get first person only up to par with the ArmA mod. It needs to have proper freelook and, for me at least, TrackIR support.

Until that becomes a thing I'll just keep playing the ArmA III mod version.
Amen to the bolded.

Par Score

Servers are very rarely down, but when they are down they are very down.

Games like this are super frustrating..
Next month is going to be the server optimization, right?

The car physics are even more fucked after this recent patch than they were before it.

Server fixes wont help that (beyond helping cases where the weirdness is caused by dodgy interpolation) but I'm sure they'll get it right in the end.

I'm the same way but come the final 20ish I usually get camped to death by one of the people who did do that. Camping is just so powerful in this game because of the camera and lack of bullet direction indicators. I wish it was less so.
Stealth should be powerful. It's a tactical game.

I always drop, equip up, and prone my way to the center of the circle. Only fight if I have to.

I make the top 10 about 80% of the time.

Stealth is so fucking fun and tense.

Finally got around to playing after the patch. Before I couldn't have any of the setting above low before framerates dropped to 5, but now things are looking way more stable (and nice!)

Roldan

I always drop, equip up, and prone my way to the center of the circle. Only fight if I have to.

This is exactly how I feel (and exactly how I play, hah).

Since my aim is terrible, I generally just keep sneaking, even if I see someone near me. Sometimes you witness some incredible encounters -- and people don't even imagine you're there. It's amazing.

This is a first for me :(

qeV4rjj.jpg

HowZatOZ

Banned

Stealth is incredibly powerful in this game. A lot of people still don't know they can hold CTRL and sneak around quieting their footsteps. Alongside that its all about those tactics and foolery. Using closed doors to your advantage for fooling players into lures or even keeping them open to help avoid conflict, this game is incredible at its diversity when it comes to stealth tactics.

Had a great 30 seconds Friday night. Playing Duo with a buddy, we make it to the end without really engaging anyone. And then finally we see a group, but they see us too and dispatch my friend.

And then is seize the juice and it's BOOMHEADSHOT and then BOOMHEADSHOT and then I see another 2 guys and its BOOMHEADSHOT and BOOMHEADSHOT and then I got sniped by the eventual winner.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

Agreed. Playing solo in this game is quite the experience.

JDB

Banned
Is it true that you make less noise without shoes on?
Conflicting reports from the developers, but either way the difference is negligible. Personally whenever I hear people without boots it just stands out more because I'm used to just hearing boots of myself and my teammates.

Does walking with control is an acceptable stealth approach in a house ? I always hear a ton of sound with the wood cracking and all, i assume i make a ton of sound but i don't know.

E-flux

Servers are very rarely down, but when they are down they are very down.

The car physics are even more fucked after this recent patch than they were before it.

Server fixes wont help that (beyond helping cases where the weirdness is caused by dodgy interpolation) but I'm sure they'll get it right in the end.

Yeah, i just got killed by my own motorcycle. Fell down, lost a inch of my health got to my bike, hit F and suddenly my bike goes all ninja on me and teleports behind me and 1 shot slams me to the ground. GG.

This patch has made me enjoy blowing up vehicles, before i would just leave people be but fuck everything except boats, boats work and don't deserve to be shot.
giphy.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Someone said this isn't by the Day-Z guy despite looking similar, so I finally gave in to the peer pressure (the game is ALL CAPS on my friends list, so when I see 5 people playing it, my feeble mind cannot resist) and purchased it.

We will now document how long it takes me to become an expert. Currently I'm experiencing the joys of a Microsoft VC Redist Package and checking the OP for guides.

Blizzard

Banned
Someone said this isn't by the Day-Z guy despite looking similar, so I finally gave in to the peer pressure (the game is ALL CAPS on my friends list, so when I see 5 people playing it, my feeble mind cannot resist) and purchased it.

We will now document how long it takes me to become an expert. Currently I'm experiencing the joys of a Microsoft VC Redist Package and checking the OP for guides.
Report after match #1:

I got thrown into some sort of warmup where everyone ran into a tunnel and blindly bumped into walls, weaponless. Then someone came in and started shooting. This was apparently not the real game. I promptly realized that a male avatar was not the only choice, and regretted that I've been locked into a male body until I earn 3000 BP. Also, there's no Katniss Everdeen hair, and the colors for hair shown don't seem to match the actual model hair color.

After that, the real game started. I promptly learned to regret my choice of bald head, since it captures the sun's glowing rays. I can again correct this mistake after a 3000 BP of progress.

The game itself felt very much like Day-Z, but with one massive improvement. Day-Z was a game where you got dropped onto an island, held down W for 25 minutes in the dark while trying to meet your friends, and then died to a physics glitch or zombie. In this game, you don't HAVE to hold down W, because there's an auto-run key! This is an amazing feature that massively reduces the game's carpal tunnel impact. Also you have no friends, so meeting them is not a concern.

Unfortunately, there's still a big missing feature. If you want to have any sort of situational awareness, you need to use third-person view and freelook. You have to hold down Alt for this. Also, if you're sneaking by crawling or walking, you have to hold down Ctrl. So effectively, you trade holding down W several minutes for holding down Ctrl / Alt off and on for several minutes.

Buildings seemed large and scary, so I avoided them. I saw maybe 2-3 people running around. At a distance, they appeared to be running anime-style, with their arms streaming behind them.

I saw some red circles. I don't know what those are, but I'm guessing something bad happens to you Hunger Games style if you stay in them. I also saw a bomber fly over and drop a blinking package. Maybe it was a prize, but I didn't get near to check.

Eventually, having found no items and crawled near the middle of the map, I was shot a few times by someone I couldn't see and died prone in the grass. I was #24 / 94 left alive, so I'm close to pro already. :D

Blizzard

Banned
DayZ always had this dude ;p
Freaking WHAT, even the original mod? I never played the standalone for what it's worth. If only there were Ctrl and Alt toggles though. Maybe I can cobble something up with a Steam controller binding. Is that frowned upon?

There's an auto run key?
It's '=' by default.

Game #2 report:

I figured this time I should attempt to sprint for a building as soon as I landed, even though other people were somehow killing each other while I was in the air. I eventually made my way into a building and replaced my bald head with a shiny motorcycle helmet. I also found a double-barreled shotgun and a scythe.

I then played stealthy, but had what seemed to be bad luck when a red zone spawned with me directly in the middle. I had to sprint all the way to the edge just to escape that, which was immediately followed by the battlefield shrinking. I had to again sprint to escape that.

Just after escaping the shrinkage, someone phased into visibility from the grass and killed me, then dissolved into the grass again. I'm not sure if this is a cloaking device, a glitch of the spectator camera once you're dead, or just something about how the game engine renders.

Unfortunately I did worse overall, #29/94. I was happy I found a weapon, and happy someone drove a yellow Harry Potter style car past me, but sad my survival number was higher.

*edit* The other reason Ctrl-toggle and Alt-toggle would be amazing is that if you accidentally let up on Ctrl, someone can instantly hear you and kill you. If you accidentally let up on Alt, your camera movement will abruptly control your character, and you will awkwardly spin around in place, becomingspotted and killed.

Blizzard

Banned
Game #3: I got 2 shotguns and that was basically it. I sprinted and drove a jeep but was still too slow to reach the shrinking circle, so I died. #26/94. At least I'm consistently in the 20's.

Game #4: I got an AK47 and sat in a farmhouse a long time. Eventually the map shrunk and someone shot me while I was taking damage trying to reach the white circle. I think they may have been shooting me while THEY were taking damage outside the circle, which is kind of crazy. #30/99, so I'm sadly getting worse each game the better gear I have.

Game #5: #89/94 or so, someone shot me while I was trying to adjust graphics settings in the first building I found, before I located any weapons. The getting worse trend continues!

Game #6: Finally a combo-breaker. The only weapon I ever found was a pistol, and I spotted a muzzle flash on a hilltop for the first time despite my system choking with medium settings (camera movement feels very laggy). However, I was #22/92 and had 1 kill because I found someone AFK about to be killed by the shrinking map. The map shrunk into the river and I jumped off a cliff to kill myself.

Game #7: I found an AK again. Someone nearly killed me at the start when I was trying to loot a building, but their aim was bad and they died to the AK. I had to sprint for a shrinking zone and was killed by someone hiding around a building. #15/94

Par Score

Keep it up Blizzard! You'll get that Chicken Dinner in no time.

I also think this serves as a decent approximation of everyone's first dozen games (unless you come from a DayZ / H1Z1 background) until the do's and don'ts start to stick.

Do: Crouch in bushes.

Don't: Go prone in tall grass.

Blizzard

Banned
Keep it up Blizzard! You'll get that Chicken Dinner in no time.

I also think this serves as a decent approximation of everyone's first dozen games (unless you come from a DayZ / H1Z1 background) until the do's and don'ts start to stick.

Do: Crouch in bushes.

Don't: Go prone in tall grass.
Why is that? Is grass removed at low graphics settings?

now that I have my first solo chicken dinner off my back, I can finally play for fun. I told myself I'd play for fun before, but we all know what that means. But now I can finally breathe and enjoy the game and play with true confidence.

patapuf

Why is that? Is grass removed at low graphics settings?

No, but it's not rendered/less pronounced at long distances (for everyone).

It's fine to hide in grass at the very end of the match when the circle is really small but in long range fights it's not an effective way to hide.

Won my first squad game last night with a group of randoms. I was surprised how well it went given that we felt kind of disorganized. At the start two people were tunnels, one went crater and I went for the houses around tunnels. Later the two at tunnels went south towards the shore to get the first crate which was a VSS and I followed and we ended up getting another crate then moving towards the military base while our other teammate was all the way near the bridge. Regardless at the end it was still 4 of us although me and the other two were downed at the final push against the last one on their team.

Sooooooo do you get a win if you die but your team wins? I totally copped out acting daft on a bike because I thought the game was over - turns out my two other team mates carried the dinner home.

Also got very close to a second win next round, but I died in a really daft way (mistiming the med kit heal in the blue).

TheRed

I finally got my first win! It took just 350 rounds and 130 hours of playtime! Lol anyone that's gotten solo wins much quicker than that should feel very lucky, so many top 10s that never worked out I never thought I would get a win.

Wasn't even my best game but didn't kill anyone until in the last 2 circles when it mattered I killed 2 and the last guy I tagged a lot and he died to circle. Phew now that I've finally got that done I feel a lot better XD

34931035486_684823d168_c.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
is there any way to make the building load faster? I pretty much can only drop the plan halfway through the fly over, since if i drop on the first half on a populated area i need to wait 30-40 seconds for the buildings to load while everyone is getting geared up and killing me in the proccess.

Twookie

is there any way to make the building load faster? I pretty much can only drop the plan halfway through the fly over, since if i drop on the first half on a populated area i need to wait 30-40 seconds for the buildings to load while everyone is getting geared up and killing me in the proccess.

my friend had that problem until the newest patch which mostly fixed it. He sometimes gets it again but it fixes itself when he restarts his computer and tries again.

not sure what you can do to fix it though, have you tried reinstalling it?

I have the same issue. I'm using an I-5 2500k 660ti with 8 gigs ram. Was thinking more ram maybe. Or getting an SSD.

MUnited83

For you.
my friend had that problem until the newest patch which mostly fixed it. He sometimes gets it again but it fixes itself when he restarts his computer and tries again.

not sure what you can do to fix it though, have you tried reinstalling it?
Amusingly, my case is the opposite. It was a rare occurrence until the latest patch hit.

Top Bottom