• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

nin1000

Banned
I recently had a short discussion with a friend who argued that Wipeout was always the better game.
I on the other hand disagreed real hard on that comment and said that in my eyes F-Zero is the better game. Even with no follow up to the godlike game that is F-Zero GX it still holds up a lot better than Wipeout, even though i love both of them to death.

So GAF. Lets settle this once and for all. Who is the real King ?

F-zero
ATcCwlF.gif

or
Wipeout
wipeoutaq8sew.gif

Edit: Found a better gif for Wipeout

Wiped89

Wipeout by an absolute mile, no doubt.

With Wipeout it's not just the gameplay itself. It's the all round aesthetic: the neon contrails, the iconic 90s electronic soundtrack, the amazing Designers Republic artwork. Everything about it is a perfect fit.

tzare

I used to like fzero quite a bit, especially on snes and​ the one made by Sega , GX, buy overall Wipeout is the better franchise.

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

HOWEVER

F-Zero GX is perfect. It's the only arcade racer I would ever put above WipEout HD/Fury for any reason.

Hmm, for Wipeout, the batting average per game is better for that franchise because F-Zero has the GBA titles which while good weren't particularly interesting.

But F-Zero X and GX are the damn best racers in the futuristic racer genre which is an incredible height that has yet to really be reached.

It would be incredibly weird to see anyone who has played both say Wipeout with a straight face.

Wipeout is a far more consistent series than F-Zero. You could make the case that any of the last 5(!) WipEout games is the best in the series on its own merits (although HD/Fury claims the content crown with ease).

Wood Man

F-Zero. It's got that insane speed, crazy tracks and cool characters.

Only Wipeout I got into was the first one. I didn't like the floaty controls and hated how much momentum you lose when you bump a wall. It really jolted the flow of the race.

Mesoian

Wipeout below Phantom difficulty/speed

F-Zero above it.

Wipeout is amazing but above phantom speeds, the game sort of shakes itself apart, car handling and weight going out the window. It's just not very fun. At it's highest speeds when you're bashing off walls in order to eek out boosts and are skating the thin edge between max speed in destruction, then and only then does F-Zero surpass Wipeout.

The one that's always 60fps.

I see what you did there.

Can we chose which titles to compare? F-Zero GX and X are some of my favorite racing games of all time. I haven't played both series close enough together to gather a solid opinion but I always remember having a lot more fun with the F-Zero series than Wipeout.

ghibli99

I put an insane amount of time into Wipeout XL... I think I'm burnt out on that series because of it to this day. LOL Aside from the SNES original, F-Zero never really grabbed me, probably because I was spending a lot more time with the Ridge Racer and Gran Turismo series.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Wipeout is a bit like Crash Bandicoot and CTR in that they're pretty average but because PlayStation only gamers can't play FZero, Mario or Mario Kart they're suddenly amazing and completely over rated.

Wipeout is still alive I'd say. F-Zero hasn't been given the chance to best Wipeout HD and 2048. Those two together make up the best of anti-grav racing.

Wipeout has the better tracks, aesthetic and variety. I also prefer the way ships handle in Wipeout. F-Zero has the better original music selection, and the characters give it more personality. GX also had a freaking story mode.

But overall my vote is Wipeout. The comparison almost feels unfair considering how long it's been since a proper F-Zero.

jett

D-Member
Wipeout HD/Fury is better than any F-Zero game. Then again, personally, I don't like how F-Zero X controls (and GX controls about the same), the vehicles just slide around too easily, they have a serious case of oversteering. I actually like the original F-Zero the best in that franchise, to be honest.

Mael

Fzero X,
Fzero is also the racing game with the highest potential with the 30 players online races they denied us for more than 10 years...

Top Bottom