• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes Bridal Blessings event announced

Gradivus

You mean the DS remakes that did so poorly they damn near killed the series off?

You mean the DS remake that didn't even appear in the UK Top 40 DS games in 2008 (even the GBA ones had this problem) while Echoes is charting in the Top 5 individual games for France, Spain and the UK?

It's holding on to similar numbers as the FE 3DS titles were in Europe and I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was happening in the US.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Yeah I know about Roy in Japan. His game isn't bad tho, could be that.

I was referring solely to Roy in the west. No actual FE game and he's super popular. I remember if you read a FAQ about any upcoming Fire Emblem, the first question would always be "is Marth/Roy in this game?"
That always made me laugh, because I always wanted Roy to appear. Then I finally played his game and realized he's the most generic Fire Emblem lord. Chrom has 10 times more personality then Roy.

His battle animations were amazing tho, so he wins.
Roy has t3h phire and he's my boy, can't ever turn your back on your boy, yo.

Nanashrew

Banned
I like her but the amount of hardcore fe fans excited to whale/ntr Marth's gf/wife is probably a lot lower then those willing to clean out their savings for Lucina, Tharja, Camilla, etc

They're all wives/husbands to someone. We're all NTRing.

Lyn can get married to Eliwood and become the mother of Roy for example.

But yeah, I feel you on Tharja.

They're all wives/husbands to someone. We're all NTRing.

Lyn can also get married to Eliwood and become the mother of Roy for example.

But yeah, I feel you on Tharja.

That's a lot fuzzier

While fandom believes hector x lyn is what the game hints at there is nothing in fe6 that proves it canon. For all we know lyn x your cac tactician is canon :p

Charlotte and Cordelia come from games where the player controls who they marry so it's easy for them to marry your cac robin/corrin.

Caeda not only is Marth's canon love interest, iirc that's how she's introduced in chapter 1 of the very first game. Very few fe games outright address canon love interest like that hence my surprise that round 1 or bride fest includes a blatant ntr waifu choice.

Firemind

While fandom believes hector x lyn is what the game hints at there is nothing in fe6 that proves it canon. For all we know lyn x your cac tactician is canon :p
Sue is Rath's daughter in FE6 and who is the only woman Rath can support with? Lyn. Suck it, Hector x Lyn shippers!

Nanashrew

Banned
That's a lot fuzzier

Charlotte and Cordelia come from games where the player controls who they marry so it's easy for them to marry your cac robin/corrin.

Caeda not only is Marth's canon love interest, iirc that's how she's introduced in chapter 1 of the very first game. Very few fe games outright address canon love interest like that hence my surprise that round 1 or bride fest includes a blatant ntr waifu choice.

Good points.

I wonder which next canon wife will be in round two.

Sue is Rath's daughter in FE6 and who is the only woman Rath can support with? Lyn. Suck it, Hector x Lyn shippers!

Sue also has green hair!

Lilina, Hector's daughter, has blue hair. (or purple hair depending on the source. Seems newer stuff they just went bright blue while the sprites she has purple hair)

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Eh, people make a big deal over this stuff on both ends of the spectrum.

On one hand, it's just a dress. Get over it.

On the other, if this kinda stuff sells you on a game and gets you genuinely excited, then that's pretty pathetic.

PsionBolt

Speaking as someone almost wholly uninterested in this sort of thing, I'd say the opposite -- it makes the most sense to include Caeda. She's FE's first and most famous bride, to FE's first and most famous lord. It doesn't have to be about self-insert junk.

...But Caeda is also famous for recruiting half of Marth's army by making doe eyes at random enemy soldiers, so really, either angle works.

Deft Beck

Yeah, I know. It's just ironic since I was about to make a thread about the female Echoes characters being a step forward for the series, and then I see this.

Fanservice cash in content in a mobile spinoff isn't going to devalue the content of a mainline spinoff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Eh, people make a big deal over this stuff on both ends of the spectrum.

On one hand, it's just a dress. Get over it.

On the other, if this kinda stuff sells you on a game and gets you genuinely excited, then that's pretty pathetic.

LOL, why are you being so judgmental over how people spend their money. It's not your money and those who do gets genuinely excited over stuff like this aren't hurting you in any way, shape, or form :p

Dee Dee

Yeah, I know. It's just ironic since I was about to make a thread about the female Echoes characters being a step forward for the series, and then I see this.

???????????????????????????????????

Act 3 in Echoes Spoilers.

Edit: Guess I should clarify for people that don't want to click on spoilers.
As a woman, I didn't see much of a step forward in Echoes. Unless "hey, at least the armours are just straight up boob armours instead of ALSO having a lot of cut-outs" is the step forward you are talking about. The other Fire Emblems aren't lacking of strong and interesting driven female characters - but they are sexualized to no end.
Echoes does the same, which is illustrated by the picture I posted. With the addition of half the female cast also being damsel-in-distressed at one point or another, and the other half defining themselves over who they want to hook up with (with overlaps). Alternatively you are witch villain who wants to eat children. Nice.

Honestly, putting some of them in bridal costumes is not much of a step down from Echoes.
I'll even bet money that there will be Echoes DLC that will do just that or something similar.

Zafir

As a woman, I didn't see much of a step forward in Echoes. Unless "hey, at least the armours are just straight up boob armours instead of ALSO having a lot of cut-outs" is the step forward you are talking about. The other Fire Emblems aren't lacking of strong and interesting driven female characters - but they are sexualized to no end.
Echoes does the same, which is illustrated by the picture I posted. With the addition of half the female cast also being damsel-in-distressed at one point or another, and the other half defining themselves over who they want to hook up with (with overlaps). Alternatively you are witch villain who wants to eat children. Nice.

Honestly, putting some of them in bridal costumes is not much of a step down from Echoes.
I'll even bet money that there will be Echoes DLC that will do just that or something similar.
Yeah

The game is absolutely awful at using the whole women having to be saved trope. Using the example in your link, she is meant to be one of the strongest knights in the army, stronger than her significant other. Yet,
she got kidnapped and has to be saved?

Lets not forget Celica herself, who is the other main character of the game. You'd be forgiven to think that she actually has any worth in the games story, at the start it seems like she should. Instead by the end, she's just constantly making dumb ass decisions which cause her to be saved by the Masked Knight and then later Alm. Hell, one could argue that the Masked Knights only significance in the plot is to
literally save Celica, considering after he's revealed, he literally disappears off the side of the planet in cutscenes.

Lelou

You have only to thanks the otaku culture..
It's not the fault of the developers or the gamers or even nintendo.

If awakening was not saving the brand we was not even here to talk about it, like you probably already know..

Cannot wait to not get any banner units because of the RNG gods. I have bad luck always with Gacha games. Love the designs though. Caeda and Lyn are the true Waifu's

People acting like otaku culture is this huge sales juggernaut that Nintendo is pandering to when Vita games sell like 4 copies each.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's not true, what saved FE was a better presentation and the casual mode

LOL we have a very tacit acknowledgement from the developers themselves with stuff like this that truly, waifus saved the franchise. Or at the very least, it played a huge part of the saving.

I don't know why people are pretending so hard that the facts are otherwise.

That's not true, what saved FE was a better presentation and the casual mode

This. Waifus only work when people are already interested in the game to begin with. Awakening was far more appealing and accessible to mainstream than previous games. It also had good production values for its platform and released in a healthy software sales environment.

Dead or Alive wouldn't get away with $100 waifu season passes either if it wasn't a very solid competitive fighting game at its core.

WhyMe6

Jeez they're really buffing healers as supports now. First with that staff skill in the Echoes banner now this Lyn's weapon and skills. I'm curious about her stats to see if she's worth keeping or passing inheritance over. That Cordelia bow + rally is damn good too.

Waifu saved Fire Emblem though.

It's a waifu series through and through from now onwards.

I mean that's cool. I dropped the series, this shits too much for me. Can't wait to see how they pander to the waifu crowd with FE Switch now that we have HD Rumble.

LOL we have a very tacit acknowledgement from the developers themselves with stuff like this that truly, waifus saved the franchise. Or at the very least, it played a huge part of the saving.

I don't know why people are pretending so hard that the facts are otherwise.

I'm not pretending, thank you.

Waifus played a part, but that was a minor part. If the game had still the same unfriendly UI, the lack of casual mode (and overall an easier game), the gorgeous CGI cutscenes and less marketing, it would be still a very niche series.

There are a lot of niche games that also has a lot of waifus and surprisingly, it just doesn't sell as good as Fire Emblem.

Also the fact that this feature is introduced early to mid-game and not directly at the begining means a lot (we all know that a game first impression almost seals the deal for a lot of players). Waifus work only if the game already got the interest of the player.

Draxal

I like her but the amount of hardcore fe fans excited to whale/ntr Marth's gf/wife is probably a lot lower then those willing to clean out their savings for Lucina, Tharja, Camilla, etc

No way.

1. Caeda is still incredibly important, and the Japanese actually spend money on the game unlike the west, so I don't consider the international poll that to be a good source for whaling. Especially, since Caeda fans are likely to be older and thus have the dispsosable income to throw away at the game.
2. Cordelia was right behind Lucina and Tharja in that poll, and did well on the international poll.

I'm not pretending, thank you.

Waifus played a part, but that was a minor part. If the game had still the same unfriendly UI, the lack of casual mode (and overall an easier game), the gorgeous CGI cutscenes and less marketing, it would be still a very niche series.

There are a lot of niche games that also has a lot of waifus and surprisingly, it just doesn't sell as good as Fire Emblem.

Also the fact that this feature is introduced early to mid-game and not directly at the begining means a lot (we all know that a game first impression almost seals the deal for a lot of players). Waifus work only if the game already got the interest of the player.

TBH I was with you, but I'm really dissapointed with SoV's sales, as the UI improvements in that game are there, its the nicest looking game n the series, yet it bombed in Japan.

Dee Dee

If waifus were all you need for a hit series, Hyperdimension Neptunia would sell more then Call of Duty.
People need to chill with the Waifu Conspiracy Theory.

I totally get how this would put you off of a series, and you'd like to not even poke it with a pole. You also have every right to criticize this.

This still doesn't mean that people with a higher bullshit tolerance than you are automatically pervs, sexists, and take their enjoyment of these elements as a substitute for real life interactions or whatever. No need to shame people that think that this is a fun addition to play with.

The good thing about FE fanservice is also that it's equal opportunity fanservice.
Groom banner when?

TBH I was with you, but I'm really dissapointed with SoV's sales, as the UI improvements in that game are there, its the nicest looking game n the series, yet it bombed in Japan.

That's a strange case and all, maybe it's the fact that it's a remake or that it's another Fire Emblem on 3DS and this system is now really old especially with the Switch release. I dunno but I really don't think it's because of the lack of "waifus" especially since Nintendo doesn't market these games based on these features (I remember Fire Emblem Awakening commercial showed Chrom and Sumia with a baby but that's it)

Mupod

The good thing about FE fanservice is also that it's equal opportunity fanservice.
Groom banner when?

Hopefully next, I felt bad for Hours Left as soon as I saw the reveal last night.

I'm glad Cordelia fans got a version of her with art that wasn't completely fucked up though. Well, got a 3% chance at a version of her, to be specific...

Top Bottom