• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for "Super Nintendo World" (theme park) in US

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
On May 24, 2017, Nintendo Co., Ltd. filed in the United States via the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) a trademark application for "Super Nintendo World", the company's park attraction at Universal Studios (Osaka, Japan and in Hollywood, California and Orlando, Florida). Current basis is 1B;44D (application based on intent to use/application based on a foreign application). The new application entered in the Trademark Reporting and Monitoring System (TRAM) on May 27, 2017.

Word Mark SUPER NINTENDO WORLD
Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, coats, dresses, Halloween costumes, hoodies, jackets, pullovers, t-shirts, shirts, shorts, sleepwear, sweatshirts, tops, loungewear, underwear, infant wear, wrist bands, warm-up suits, vests; gloves as clothing; socks and stockings; neckties; headwear; scarves; mufflers; waistbands; belts for clothing; footwear; clothes for sports namely, athletic pants, athletic shorts, athletic shirts, athletic tops, swimwear; masquerade costumes

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Consumer video game apparatus, namely, home video game machines; parts and accessories for consumer video game apparatus, namely, protective carrying cases adapted for home video game machines and hand-held units for playing electronic games; controllers and joysticks for consumer video game apparatus; hand-held units for playing electronic games; parts and accessories for handheld game apparatus, namely, protective covers and stands; card game toys and their accessories; toys, namely, plush toys, dolls, action figures, toy key chains, toy building blocks, collectable toy figures, party favors in the nature of small toys. toy vehicles, toy watches, toy boxes; go games; Japanese chess; Japanese playing cards; Japanese dice games; playing cards; Japanese playing cards; mah-jong; trading card games; cards for trading card games; game machines and apparatus; sports equipment; arcade video game machines; parts and accessories for arcade video game machines; amusement machines and apparatus for use in amusement parks other than arcade video game machines; amusement park rides; board games; puzzles; Christmas tree decorations; toy balloons

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing non-downloadable images of characters, amusement park and amusement park events via communication; providing non-downloadable videos of characters, amusement park and amusement park events via communication; providing non-downloadable movies via communication; presentation of live show performances; direction or presentation of plays; presentation of musical performances; providing non-downloadable music and sounds featuring sound recordings from video games via communication; organization, management or arrangement of video game events; organization, management or arrangement of entertainment shows and events, namely, amusement park shows and special events at an amusement park; organization, management or arrangement of kart racing; organization, management or arrangement of motorcycle events and other events with vehicles; providing amusement facilities; providing amusement parks services; providing theme parks services; providing entertainment in the nature of amusement park rides; arranging for ticket reservations for amusement parks and theme parks; providing games for consumer video game apparatus; providing games for handheld game apparatus; providing games for arcade video game machines; providing games for smart phones; providing games via communications; providing games via telecommunication network; providing games via communication network; rental of sports equipment; rental of toys; rental of amusement machines and apparatus for use in amusement parks; rental of game machines and apparatus; rental of toy cars; rental of masquerade costumes; rental of storage media storing programs for consumer video game apparatus; rental of storage media storing programs for handheld game apparatus; rental of storage media storing programs for arcade video game machines; rental of storage media storing game programs for smart phones; rental of consumer video game apparatus and arcade video game machines; rental of handheld game apparatus; providing entertainment information via a website

IC 043. US 100 101. G & S: Providing hotel accommodation services; restaurant services, namely providing of food and beverages for consumption on and off the premises; rental of conference rooms; rental of exhibition spaces; rental of event venues

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 87462048
Filing Date May 24, 2017
Current Basis 1B;44D
Original Filing Basis 1B;44D
Owner (APPLICANT) Nintendo Co., Ltd. CORPORATION JAPAN 11-1, Hokotate-cho, Kamitoba, Minami-ku Kyoto-shi, Kyoto JAPAN 601-8501
Attorney of Record Melissa A. Nowak, Reg. No. 68,088
Priority Date December 9, 2016
Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=87462048&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm sure they will have an attraction about the best game on the system, Super Metroid. Right....?

A good time for theme parks, y'all. Pandora in Animal Kingdom, Volcano Bay at Universal Orlando Resort, themed lands dedicated to Star Wars and Nintendo coming to Disney and Universal respectively, etc.

we may finally get a new F-Zero experience

I'd love for some of Nintendo's niche franchises to be represented but it's clearly going to be their mainstream stuff like Mario, unfortunately.

I do hope those DK minecart patents come to fruition. It looks to be an actually really unique spin on the minecart coaster concept, and it's also a really clever way of properly representing Donkey Kong Country's minecart stages.

SpPzgfS.jpg

13ruce

Banned
It's finally happening a Nintendo Theme Park... Their IP's really fit in a theme park imo, i would even say a Splatoon ride would fit in there and that's a recent new IP.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It's finally happening a Nintendo Theme Park... Their IP's really fit in a theme park imo, i would even say a Splatoon ride would fit in there and that's a recent new IP.
Or they could create a Splatoon arena with augmented reality (glasses) where guests compete on covering a specific surface with the most ink (virtual ink).

Neoxon

Kids have no affinity for F-Zero. It's going to be Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokémon and Kirby all day long.

Be cool if there was a Splatoon bit though...
I wouldn't even be too sure about Pokémon being represented (The Pokémon Company can be weird about crossover stuff like this). I'd imagine that Splatoon or maybe ARMS could show up in some capacity, not to mention Animal Crossing.

Basically, I'm only expecting EPD-made franchises to be here plus maybe Kirby.

Gartooth

They are going Potter level with this so it should be fucking insane. The exclusive merch in the parks will break my wallet!

Also outside of potential merch there is no representation of non-Mario universe IPs until at least Phase 2. Mario Kart, DKC coaster, and Yoshi's Island are the rumored rides.

Neoxon

They are going Potter level with this so it should be fucking insane. The exclusive merch in the parks will break my wallet!

Also outside of potential merch there is no representation of non-Mario universe IPs until at least Phase 2. Mario Kart, DKC coaster, and Yoshi's Island are the rumored rides.
Then I wouldn't expect anything outside of EPD until maybe Phase 3 or 4 (if they get that far).

If this opens while the Switch is still killing it and Nintendo's movie efforts are coming to a head, it truly will be the return of the king. Nintendo as the brand that defines video games for the average person, that is.

Gartooth

Then I wouldn't expect anything outside of EPD until maybe Phase 3 or 4 (if they get that far).

Right, insiders on the Orlando United forums mentioned that Pokemon wasn't in the initial pitch to Nintendo but a concept for Zelda was. A Phase 2 at this time seems more likely to implement Zelda than say Kirby or Pokemon.

Neoxon

Right, insiders on the Orlando United forums mentioned that Pokemon wasn't in the initial pitch to Nintendo but a concept for Zelda was. A Phase 2 at this time seems more likely to implement Zelda than say Kirby or Pokemon.
If Phase 2 ends up being completely Zelda, then maybe Phase 3 could be the other EPD franchises like Splatoon & ARMS (assuming the latter does well). After that, Phase 4 could possibly branch out to non-EPD franchises like Kirby & (if TPC plays nice) Pokémon.

Jetman

Yeah, I know someone who worked with Universal on the Potter area. He's a huge Zelda fan and has hinted they're doing something for that during this phase.

Isn't this only true for the Japanese Park? Or do we already know that the US and JP parks are going to be the same?

The question is what are they going to remove in Orlando to accommodate this? From my understanding Universal Orlando is locked as far as land goes and I doubt they would remove the Marvel properties as they don't want to lose that license back to Disney. That leaves the old school cartoon area where Betty Boop and Popeye are.

This seems like a situation where the Japan park will dwarf anything they put in the States.

Neoxon

Just make a Pokemon Safari snap ride. I'll pay whatever needs to be paid.
Tell that to The Pokémon Company. As mentioned before, I wouldn't expect anything outside of EPD until maybe Phase 4 (if Phase 2 is entirely Zelda).

The question is what are they going to remove in Orlando to accommodate this? From my understanding Universal Orlando is locked as far as land goes and I doubt they would remove the Marvel properties as they don't want to lose that license back to Disney. That leaves the old school cartoon area where Betty Boop and Popeye are.

This seems like a situation where the Japan park will dwarf anything they put in the States.
They have another park besides IOA, you know. Pretty sure this is going in Studios Florida, most likely replacing Woody Woodpecker's Kid Zone.

The franchises currently mentioned seem to be EPD-specific, with zero talk of doing stuff like Kirby or Pokémon right now.

After reading your posts, Jetman's, and Gartooth's, I get what you guys mean now.

Ayyways, it makes perfect sense, they're the most popular Nintendo franchises, really (excluding Pokemon and Kirby).

Do you think we'll see Animal Crossing and Star Fox before or after Splatoon (and maybe ARMS)?

Top Bottom