• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS February |OT| of Curious (Black) Creators & Curious (Black) Characters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A celebration of black creators and characters for February, and related funnybook shenanigans.

4dj0q.jpg

Savage Dragon: The Kids Are Alright

Malcolm Dragon is green you say? His mother was a black woman (Sharona Jackson, aka Rapture), good enough for a certain President - GOOD ENOUGH FOR MALCOLM!

Malcolm Eugene Jackson Dragon is half Krylan and half human.

Like the good old days of mutants in the Marvel Universe Malcolm’s genetic differences from normal humans have kicked in during his teen years. Most obvious is his Krylan physique (fin included), but constantly hinted at in the current issues is the inheritance from his mother - the ability to generate and make use of electrostatic energy!

http://savagedragonwiki.wikispaces.com/

Blaster Knuckle - Hollywood style sales pitch:

INSPIRED BY TRUE EVENTS*!

oNIqa.jpg

*These true events being American slavery and the KKK... I WISH IT MEANT VAMPIRES, DEMONS, AND WEREWOLVES!

Read it online! Protege / accomplice of Kentaro “Idol Master” Miura provides the greatest manga about the fighting the undead Man!

gwwjP.jpg

Sabre - Paul Gulacy and Don McGregor created one of the earliest graphic novels, one featuring a black lead!

From Examiner.com

Described as the consummate hero, Sabre lives in a futuristic, sci-fi western world full of both blasters and cutlasses. A world where high technology exists side-by-side with traditional, and even retro tech. Sabre himself is something of a romantic freedom fighter living in a world that he considers has gone mad. The U.S. has been all but devastated by a nuclear holocaust and the ruling powers, which are led by the villainous Overseer, have gained control over most of the world.

Still, despite the desolation of the world, and the apparent hopelessness of their situation, Sabre and his band of rebels have escaped their new masters and are determined to fight back. Still, Sabre is more than “just another” swashbuckling adventure. It is a seminal piece of work that was not only groundbreaking in both its style and approach to graphic storytelling, but set the tone for much of what was to follow.

UmSRu.gif

Fred Perry - Gold Digger

IIRC the history of Gold Digger goes something like this, during Operation Desert Storm Fred Perry was serving in the US Army and would draw good girl art for his fellow soldiers in exchange for comfort items sent from back home. When he came back, he turned his penchant for drawing pretty girls into a full time gig on Gold Digger at Antarctic Press.

uH3yl.jpg

Gold Digger fuses Perry’s love of Indiana Jones, 80’s cartoons, anime, video games, and just general craziness. 20 years strong it’s worth checking out to give FP some love in a tough business.

I realize some folks will cry about his style, Fred Perry is the indie John Romita Jr. he has a deadline style. You get back to me with your weak attacks when you can name for me another creator that writes, draws, letters, and colors their own book every month. You do that and I’ll give you a pass. >:|

yaoal.jpg

Kyle Baker - Prolific, diverse, wildly talented. If you don’t know Kyle Baker you ought to! He’s another one of the hardest working dudes in the comic industry and beyond. >:|

- Why I Hate Saturn
- The Cowboy Wally Show
- Nat Turner
- Plastic Man
- The Bakers

3RoUx.jpg

Arvell Jones - Arvell Jones is just a super nice guy and crazy talented. I’ve met him a number of times at various conventions and he is always willing to share stories of the industry and will blow your mind with his ambidextrous art talent. I walk by in the morning and he’s drawing with his right hand, pass by later in the afternoon and he’s drawing equally well with his left hand! I stood between him and Adam Hughes trying to divide my attention between booby drawings and this wizard who draws crazy good with either damn hand!

He recounted to me his tale of breaking into the comics industry. Starting with a cunning father who played a big part in motivating his son at a young age. When Arvell told his father he wanted to draw comics, his father told him that was all well and good; but he would have to draw some comics - not just talk about it.

So Arvell took this challenge and started drawing his own comics. His friends in school were all impressed and enjoyed his comics. Arvell showed his father, “Look I made my own comics.”

His father told him, that’s all well and good but he’s not drawing comics until he’s drawing for a paid publication.

Arvell took this challenge and started submitting work to Marvel and DC. Eventually landing a job at Marvel.

It’s a great story that he will tell if you ask how he broke into comics. You really ought to ask him yourself if you see him at a convention in your travels.

He’s a classic style cartoonist who has done some amazing work at DC over the years, check it out if you dig old school.

G3Toi.png

Larry Stroman - He doesn’t get as much work anymore, but he was a big contributor to X-Factor with Peter David in the 90’s. With a unique visual style and great storytelling he was a refreshing change of pace from the prevalent Image Style of the 90’s X-Books.

nz2rT.jpg

Keith Pollard - Where the White Women At Award! Co-creator of my favoritest comic gal ever Black Cat! Thank you Mr. Pollard, Mr. Wolfman, and Mr. Cockrum for turning me down a path of perversion at a young age. The first time I saw Black Cat (around age 4 or 5) I knew what the perfect woman looked like. :3

Mr. Pollard also pencilled cheesy 90’s favorite of mine Thunderstrike for a number of issues. AW YEAH THOR KNOCK-OFF WITH A PONY TAIL! Blood Axe must return!

hgpik.jpg

Dexter Vines - This Ebon Embellisher has put his silky smooth inks on artists from Leinil Francis Yu to Ed McGuinness, making half of the EdEx art team. You can check out his full body of work, but I will tell you to run not walk to check out his work on Hulk.

h9etX.jpg

Black Panther by Christopher Priest and company:

From Nerdage Blog

Christopher Priest wrote the definitive “Black Panther” run, starting as part of the “Marvel Knights” line in 1998. Though most of the book isn’t available in collections, it’s well-worth tracking down the entire run.
Black Panther 1-62 ran from 1998 through 2003, with all but two issues written by Christopher Priest (formerly Jim Owlsley).

The first 12 issues are almost a Tom Clancy novel with an African king as the star. With artists Mark Texiera on issues 1-6 and Joe Jusko, Mike Manley and Mark Bright on issues 7-12.

The Black Panther is an Avenger, but he’s not exactly a superhero. The Black Panther is T’Challa, the king of the technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda. He wears the costume of the Black Panther as the head of the Panther Clan in his land.

The full run available on Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited and on the Amazon.com Marketplace.

G85X4.jpg

Milestone Comics - Basically the FUBU of Funnybooks. The common complaint about black heroes written by white scribes is the lack of sincerity or world experience (see also: Grant Morrison’s awful, awful Black Lightening Final Crisis one shot and one note depiction of the Tattooed Man), in the 1990’s in collaboration with DC Comics a group of African American creators took a stab at establishing a comic imprint featuring a predominantly black cast of characters.

Icon
Hardware
Blood Syndicate
Static

Dwayne McDuffie (and others) on Milestone Comics part 1
Dwayne McDuffie (and others) on Milestone Comics part 2

Come on DC, you mean to tell me you have room for Wildstorm’s D-List crap like Voodoo, Grifter, and Storm Watch in the New 52; but you can’t bring back Hardware or Icon? :|

Mister Terrific doesn’t count as he’s never had his own series that has lasted as long as Hardware or Icon, and Static Shock just sounds like it was killed by wild incompetence.

oS8PT.jpg

Dwayne McDuffie - Justice League Unlimited

We lost Dwayne McDuffie last year, and you should pay him tribute by watching his work on some of the best damned Justice League stories ever animated.

Jk4sj.jpg

Sidebar Podcast - Dwight, Swain, and Adrian three brothers doing a comics podcast that fills my need to hear from the artists behind my favoritest hobby ever.

This is just a sampling of the black characters and creators you will find out there, feel free to plug your own favorites as the thread moves along.

Supplemental:

Free Comic Book Day is the first Saturday in May. Other factions of neogaf are into gift, candy, crazy-butt-loving exchanges around various times of the year.

Would any of you weenies and weeniettes be interested in a FCBD Funnybook Exchange?

This would be a great way to inflict crap you like upon unsuspecting members (Shoehorn, Gran Morrison’s latest trianwreck - whatevah) or just find a loving home for overstock in your collection.

Just a random idea that popped into my head. Thank god it was that and not my inevitable demise followed the eternal darkness, eternal silence and passage of time until the universe collapses and it all ends rendering everything obsolete - OH GOD NOT DESPAIR AGAIN!!!1

Satch

Banned
CUZ MY BODY'S TOO BOOTYLICIOUS FOR YOU BABE

DC COMICS

SUPERMAN & CO.

jvtdN.jpg
R6Cxg.jpg

DEC110209 ACTION COMICS #6 $3.99
DEC110212 ACTION COMICS #6 COMBO PACK $4.99
OCT110252 SUPERMAN REIGN OF DOOMSDAY HC $22.99

BATMAN & CO.

dkTN9.jpg
cjqNu.jpg

NOV110194 BATMAN GATES OF GOTHAM TP $14.99
DEC110226 BATWING #6 $2.99
DEC110222 DETECTIVE COMICS #6 $2.99

GREEN LANTERN & THE CORPS.

A7ty5.jpg

DEC110245 RED LANTERNS #6 $2.99

TEAMS

2LmFH.jpg
oYe16.jpg
fZ8Ra.jpg

DEC110192 JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #6 $2.99
DEC110264 MEN OF WAR #6 $3.99
DEC110256 STORMWATCH #6 $2.99

MISC.

ZUaYO.jpg
7QJ5r.jpg
FaRYq.jpg
nunxX.jpg
0TsGH.jpg

OCT110282 AMERICAN VAMPIRE HC VOL 03 (MR) $24.99
DEC110250 ANIMAL MAN #6 $2.99
DEC110203 GREEN ARROW #6 $2.99
SEP110182 GREEN ARROW SALVATION HC $22.99
DEC110272 HAWK AND DOVE #6 $2.99
DEC110320 IZOMBIE #22 (MR) $2.99
DEC110266 OMAC #6 $2.99
NOV110234 RAT CATCHER TP (MR) $12.99
DEC110270 STATIC SHOCK #6 $2.99
DEC110310 SUPERNATURAL #5 (OF 6) $2.99
DEC110248 SWAMP THING #6 $2.99
DEC110326 SWEET TOOTH #30 (MR) $2.99
NOV110209 XOMBI TP $14.99

FOR THE KIDS!

BwU06.jpg

DEC110305 SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU #18 $2.99

CUZ MY BODY'S TOO BOOTYLICIOUS FOR YOU BABE

Reflecting upon my Savage Dragon plug, I think the only way a comic book could possible please me more is if it was about ample bosomed woman with breasts that punched people.

Hardware is in Static Shock?! Why was I not informed of this?!

Oh because nobody is reading it. >:|

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
You should have put eyeshield 21 as most embarrassing praise of black people.

Satch

Banned
Reflecting upon my Savage Dragon plug, I think the only way a comic book could possible please me more is if it was about ample bosomed woman with breasts that punched people.

Hardware is in Static Shock?! Why was I not informed of this?!

Oh because nobody is reading it. >:|

well i didn't think you cared that he was in it

he was static's advisor and provided him with all his gear

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Next OT should be a celebration of attractive white women in comics. Might be difficult to find enough examples to fill up the whole post though.

You should have put eyeshield 21 as most embarrassing praise of black people.

I should do a top 5 moments in comics that spawned "I am not a racist but..." comments.

Shout outs to Rick Jones buddy with AIDS from that god awful topical Hulk issue back in the day. I re-read that run when Ang Lee's Hulk came out and man. . . so embarrassing. :X

well i didn't think you cared that he was in it

he was static's advisor and provided him with all his gear

To be fair, is it Hardware 2.0 or stupid Hardware with his hair showing? That design pisses me off so bad. Who leaves their head exposed like that and isn't named Batman? :|

Slayven

Shout outs to Rick Jones buddy with AIDS from that god awful topical Hulk issue back in the day. I re-read that run when Ang Lee's Hulk came out and man. . . so embarrassing. :X

Even more embarrassing when the kid father comes back and joins the Gamma Corps to get revenge on Hulk for his son getting AIDs.

That's a collection of the story Paul Cornell got stuck writing on Action Comics, right before the reboot.

You mean the one with the showstopping and memorable Doomslayer?

Parallax

Ugh, is that the one with the razor armed dude with razor blades, and we find out the hulk is immune to aids? I forgot about that.

You forgot the Falcon. My personal favorite Black character from Marvel.

Open to all suggestions.

Plug your favorite run.

I definitely found myself leaning more toward Marvel than DC's cast of black characters writing this up. Outside of Milestone, DC doesn't really have many (any) memorable black characters.

I mean come on, Static has essentially replaced the embarrassment that is Black Lightening.

I was going to include Fatality (hot) from Green Lantern, but it turns out she's alien and I'm being an Aspertard with regards to that.

Tesla Strong was also eliminated due to me being incapable of nailing down the coordinates of Attabar Teru, which is described as being West Indian. :(

51027520563.1.VARIANT.GIF

You should still read it anyhow. Arthur Adams is a god amongst men and sexy women. :3

-Mikey-

Next OT should be a celebration of attractive white women in comics. Might be difficult to find enough examples to fill up the whole post though.

As long as Kate Kane is in there we're cool!

2012 will be an amazing year for comics! Winter Soldier is this week I think. Later this month we'll finally get Glory and one I've been looking forward to, Conan The Barbarian.

Satch

Banned
kate kane is like the whitest white chick in all of comicdom

the queen of the vampires

bandit here's hardware:

lb3M6.png

Parallax

I would have loved if marvel really ran with the blue marvel as a character. Even as a counter to the sentry. But I guess he wasn't marketable or something.. maybe if he was the "all new sentry!" Then he could have gotten a push or something.

Slayven

Synch a good natured, smart black kid from the suburbs. We knew he wasn't long for comics, but we enjoyed the time he was there.

39Jp5.jpg

Indie shipping list for this week:

OCT111251 AFTERSCHOOL CHARISMA TP VOL 05 $12.99
NOV118145 AMULET SC VOL 04 LAST COUNCIL NEW PTG $12.99
SEP111252 ASSASSINS CREED THE FALL TP (MR) $18.99
NOV111028 AT FULL MOON GN VOL 02 $10.99
DEC110928 BETRAYAL O/T PLANET O/T APES #4 (OF 4) $3.99
DEC110969 BOYS #63 (MR) $3.99
NOV111169 BRIMSTONE #7 (OF 7) (MR) $3.25
NOV111170 CHARMED #18 $3.50
DEC111214 COMPLETE ANNOTATED OZ SQUAD TP $24.95
OCT111256 CROSS GAME TP VOL 06 $14.99
DEC110869 CROSSED PSYCHOPATH #5 (OF 7) SHARK ATTACK CVR (MR) $5.99
DEC110868 CROSSED PSYCHOPATH #7 (OF 7) AUXILIARY ED (MR) $3.99
OCT111196 DAMAGED #5 (OF 6) (MR) $3.50
DEC111144 DANCE CLASS HC VOL 01 SO YOU THINK YOU CAN HIP HOP $9.99
JUL111070 DF GAME OF THRONES #1 ROSS SIGN EXC CVR $29.99
NOV111032 FAIRY TAIL GN VOL 17 $10.99
SEP110792 FATHOM VOL 4 #4 CVR A KONAT $3.50
SEP110793 FATHOM VOL 4 #4 CVR B PARKER $3.50
NOV110797 FUTURAMA COMICS #59 $2.99
DEC111147 GARFIELD & CO HC VOL 05 A GAME OF CAT AND MOUSE $7.99
DEC110968 GARTH ENNIS JENNIFER BLOOD TP VOL 01 (MR) $19.99
OCT111061 GREAT PLACE HIGH SCHOOL GN VOL 04 (MR) $12.95
JUL110867 HAUNTED CITY #2 CVR A RYAN $3.50
JUL110868 HAUNTED CITY #2 CVR B KONAT $3.50
OCT110912 HELLRAISER #10 (MR) $3.99
DEC110916 HELLRAISER MASTERPIECES #7 (MR) $3.99
AUG110766 HOW TO DRAW STEAMPUNK PKT MANGA $14.95
OCT110938 ICE AGE ICED IN ONE SHOT $3.99
DEC110919 IRREDEEMABLE #34 $3.99
OCT111293 JURASSIC STRIKE FORCE 5 #1 A CVR TOLEDO $2.99
OCT111294 JURASSIC STRIKE FORCE 5 #1 B CVR AUGUILERA $2.99
OCT110999 KIRBY GENESIS CAPTAIN VICTORY #3 $3.99
DEC110948 LADY DEATH (ONGOING) #10 AUXILIARY CVR (MR) $3.99
DEC110950 LADY DEATH (ONGOING) #7 BALTIMORE CVR (MR) $9.99
DEC110949 LADY DEATH (ONGOING) #9 DETROIT FANFARE CVR (MR) $9.99
OCT111057 MR TIGER AND MR WOLF GN VOL 02 (OF 2) (MR) $12.95
OCT110868 PENNY FOR YOUR SOUL FALSE PROPHET #3 (OF 7) (MR) $3.50
NOV111088 PHAZER WAR O/T INDEPENDENTS CROSSOVER #1 $3.99
NOV110674 RACHEL RISING #5 $3.99
OCT110791 RICHIE RICH GEMS WINTER SPECIAL ONE SHOT $3.99
OCT111053 ROBERT JORDAN WHEEL OF TIME EYE O/T WORLD #20 $3.99
NOV110798 SERGIO ARAGONES FUNNIES #7 $3.50
NOV110800 SIMPSONS ILLUSTRATED #1 $3.99
NOV110734 SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE #2 $9.99
NOV110735 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #233 $2.99
DEC110870 STITCHED #1 NYCC EXC ED (MR) $3.99
DEC111024 THE LONE RANGER #2 $3.99
DEC110920 VALEN OUTCAST #3 MAIN CVRS $3.99
DEC111016 VAMPIRELLA TP VOL 02 $16.99
NOV110897 WARLORD OF MARS ANNUAL #1 (MR) $4.99
DEC110985 WARLORD OF MARS FALL OF BARSOOM TP VOL 01 $17.99
DEC110974 WARRIORS OF MARS #1 (MR) $3.99
NOV110738 WORLD OF ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #14 $3.99

Bolded my pickups.

Lock this thread please.

That picture is revolting.

EDIT: Is she reading an erotic novel???

More muscle girls for me! :3

You so crazy! Joe Jusko is a god.

akira28

Year or two ago, they brought Hardware, Icon and the Shadow Cabinet over to DC. They were badasses and beat the Justice League like it wasn't even a thing. So they could bring them over to new 52 land, if they were so inclined.

Satch

Banned
Year or two ago, they brought Hardware, Icon and the Shadow Cabinet over to DC. They were badasses and beat the Justice League like it wasn't even a thing. So they could bring them over to new 52 land, if they were so inclined.

well they did bring hardware over

except the book he was in (Static Shock) was cancelled. we're likely to not see another Milestone character show up for a while

Parallax

well they did bring hardware over

except the book he was in (Static Shock) was cancelled. we're likely to not see another Milestone character show up for a while
which is a shame. Holocaust would make for a great titans villain.

And icon would be nice to see too.

Sorry to bring the thread down but I just found out one of the guys who works at my local comic shop passed away today after being hit by a car while on his bicycle. Such a nice guy who was always super nice and helped me find a bunch of the comics I'm reading today. Plus he introduced me to John's Green Lantern run awhile back and caught me up with the lore for the Sinestro Corps arc.

Ugh.

Sorry to bring the thread down but I just found out one of the guys who works at my local comic shop passed away today after being hit by a car while on his bicycle. Such a nice guy who was always super nice and helped me find a bunch of the comics I'm reading today. Plus he introduced me to John's Green Lantern run awhile back and caught me up with the lore for the Sinestro Corps arc.

Ugh.

Damn sorry to hear that. Rest in Peace.

I really wish motorists would stop being such cocks toward cyclists and pay attention to the road. :(

Is the Futurama comic any good? I love the show and wouldn't mind getting me some more Futurama.

It's consistently well done.

When the cancelled the show it was the only way to get my fix and now that it's on cable which I don't have, it's still my only way to get my fix. :p

I misplaced some illusrtation paper. Now I'm going crazy trying to find it. >:|

I may need to finish using a pad to invoke the cosmos to release the location of it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I think I might have to finally stop picking up Red Lanterns this month. I'm trying my damndest to stay on all the Lantern related books but RL seems to be trying harder and harder every month to get me to quit it. That first issue was kind of amazing. Why can't all issues just be Dex-Starr barfing blood napalm on hostile aliens? What's all this emo brooding and introspection crap?

Cool, I was thinking of picking up the AHM trade.

What do you think of the new series so far?

I've only read the one so far (Robots in Disguise still sitting in my stack), but it's hard to make a judgement call until it gets a bet farther. I'm not a huge Bumblee or Rodimus fan though..

Diamond:
Previews #281 February 2012

Marvel Comics:
Avengers Academy #25
Punisher #8
The Twelve #9 (of 12)
Uncanny X-Force #21
Uncanny X-Men #6
X-Factor #231

Other Publishers:
Fatale #2 (Image)
Warlord of Mars Annual #1 (Dynamite)

Slayven said:
Should we have a moment of silence for Aqualad?
neojubei said:
What happened to Aqualad?
Slayven said:
Flashpointed.
He's really gone? I'm surprised they didn't pull a "Garth never existed, Whats-His-Name is the only Aqualad there ever was" like they did with Wally and Donna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom