• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

jengo

The old guy who runs the kebab place in Kamakura was one the friendliest guys I've ever met. Absolutely awful kebab though lol.

I heard rumblings of a good Mexican in Kannai... But I guess you Tokyo guys don't want to come to boring ass Yokohama.

I come to "boring ass" Yokohama for work, but it'd have to be amazing Mexican to get me to go another station down...So far Junkadelic and BURRI have been great, but pricey and still a bit far for me.

KtSlime

I come to "boring ass" Yokohama for work, but it'd have to be amazing Mexican to get me to go another station down...So far Junkadelic and BURRI have been great, but pricey and still a bit far for me.
I haven't tried junkadelic, BURRI is okay, but not very authentic IMO and too expensive. Frijoles is like chipotle but twice the price for half the volume. I want a place I can get a chili relleno or cactus burrito.

Porcile

Yokohama speciality ethnic food is for sure Thai food. So many great Thai places hidden away. Mostly in the grubbiest parts of town where the foreigners dare not tread. You guys can come hang out with me, plenty of hookers round these parts too lol.

Speaking of Yokohama, I'll be assigned to a dorm in September, probably somewhere around Shimoda or Hyoshi, which is inbetween Yokohama and Tokyo, quite a bit closer to the former than the later. I've been around Tokyo a lot but never been to Yokohama or Kawasaki, so if you guys got any tips on anything you find noteworthy that's not in the top 10 on Tripadvisor or gaijin websites, be it restaurants or anything else, feel free to share :)

Porcile

I've been to Hiyoshi a bunch of times. It has a university so probably a bit of a student crowd. I know that the university has a HUB inside it so there you go.... lol

Actually, there's some okay small restaurants and bars around the cute little shopping district. I'm sure the HUB denizens will help you out...

Permanent Japanese residency to be possible for foreigners with anime-related jobs after one year.
Despite what the title says, it's not only anime, but also fashion etc., probably covers games as well.

Cool for those in the various entertainment fields, but wow that salary portion seems crazy. I can't imagine anyone would qualify on that alone obviously but it is certainly high if you do heh.

Any of you got a 4K + HDR TV? I've been thinking about making the jump, or simply buying a new 1080p monitor. But the TV's seem awfully expensive compared to the various prices and sales I keep seeing pop up.

As much as I would love to drop a paycheck and a half on a OLDED 4K tv thats obviously not happening. Same with the cheaper ones, I don't need all the wifi stuff, I just want a good tv lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Cool for those in the various entertainment fields, but wow that salary portion seems crazy. I can't imagine anyone would qualify on that alone obviously but it is certainly high if you do heh.

Any of you got a 4K + HDR TV? I've been thinking about making the jump, or simply buying a new 1080p monitor. But the TV's seem awfully expensive compared to the various prices and sales I keep seeing pop up.

As much as I would love to drop a paycheck and a half on a OLDED 4K tv thats obviously not happening. Same with the cheaper ones, I don't need all the wifi stuff, I just want a good tv lol.
About that salary part, I don't think it's a real number for people who could apply for the "cool japan permanent residency". Looking at the sheet from last year for highly skilled professionals, only the "business manager" or something like that could get 40 points for over 25 million/year. All the other categories had points starting from something like 4 million and ending on 10.

It looks like the person responsible for the article looked at the old sheet and assumed that the salary values will be the same. Which would be quite crazy, given that anime/manga etc. jobs in Japan don't have the best salaries.

As for the TV, Japanese 4K TV prices are sadly way too high. I think you could get the same TV in the US for half/one third price if not cheaper. I'm personally waiting for this situation to change before I grab a new TV, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Ayumi

Permanent Japanese residency to be possible for foreigners with anime-related jobs after one year.
Despite what the title says, it's not only anime, but also fashion etc., probably covers games as well.

Heh, that article is quite misleading. I remember reading about it months ago (pretty sure it's the same as this http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/). Just getting enough point will be pretty hard for "the common person". More work experience is good, but the younger you are, the better, lol. 高度人材 are those people who have 10 years of experience (like dentists, doctors, professional chefs, etc). It isn't impossible, but it's not like anyone in the game/whatever industry can just run to Japan and be eligible. (Just in case someone in Uni happens to read this thread and gets excited.) You can see the point chart here. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/pdf/point_calculation_forms.pdf (This might be the same as the one you linked, I can't open yours so I don't know if it is, but in that case: Sorry!)

jae

Anyone have a recommendation for an orthopedic surgeon in Tokyo?
I need surgery on my heels, but the doctor at St Luke's will only do a full reconstructive surgery on my Achilles' tendon which is both un-necessary and comes with a long recovery time per foot. I can't afford that much time off.

I've also been to the foot clinic in Omotesando. Most of the smaller clinics seem to just be fronts to get you to buy expensive insoles or shoes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Heh, that article is quite misleading. I remember reading about it months ago (pretty sure it's the same as this http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/). Just getting enough point will be pretty hard for "the common person". More work experience is good, but the younger you are, the better, lol. 高度人材 are those people who have 10 years of experience (like dentists, doctors, professional chefs, etc). It isn't impossible, but it's not like anyone in the game/whatever industry can just run to Japan and be eligible. (Just in case someone in Uni happens to read this thread and gets excited.) You can see the point chart here. http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/pdf/point_calculation_forms.pdf (This might be the same as the one you linked, I can't open yours so I don't know if it is, but in that case: Sorry!)
That point table which we both linked is really old - I don't think it changed much in a while.
The article, from what I understand, is about new "categories" being added as eligible for the visa - it would be really hard for someone working in entertainment, even for many years, to get points in the current system. With new categories it should be easier. I assume that we'll get the new point tables for those job types later this year/early next year.

Yes, it will not be easy, but still much easier than the current system, at least for certain people.

Hastati

Hello, I hope this is an appropriate place to ask, but I'm looking for someone to reserve/complete a concert reservation for me at a Lawson.

I'm headed to Japan in July/August and really want to go to the Persona 5 concert in Yokohama, but as far as I can tell there's no service that will reserve tickets for you outside of Japan for these damned smartphone only reservations.

Willing to pay or trade for your troubles if anyone is up for helping me.

I actually have a ticket reservation that I grabbed off Lawson's site with a proxy sns number, but I can't complete the res without going to a physical ATM apparently.

Skinpop

Where do you guys buy PC's online?
Amazon seems ok, but I find better prices on kakaku... but then I have to order from many different places.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Where do you guys buy PC's online?
Amazon seems ok, but I find better prices on kakaku... but then I have to order from many different places.
I got mine on dospara, because I didn't feel like playing around with putting my own from parts.

For notebooks I'd definitely recommend kakaku over anything else.

This might be the right place to ask this question: can I buy a Wonder Festival ticket at the venue on that day? I have read the official website, and it seems to imply that it is possible to buy one before entering the main hall.

Ayumi

Forgot to say I'm building a pc.

I'd highly recommend you import some parts from Amazon US (even if you're not from there). Japan has a very bad selection of PSUs and RAM, because they don't know how to properly price shit so the decent stuff is ridiculously expensive (but sometimes non-existent). I imported my GPU (plus RAM sticks and the PSU) from Amazon US, and it was about the same price I'd pay for the same GPU (plus shitty RAM/PSU) here. If you don't wanna wait 3 weeks though.. but still, it's really hard to find a decent PSU. Then I actually got back some of the shipping money (since it was a deposit). So it was slightly cheaper + better components to import. You gotta check Amazon US and make comparison sheet. I did that although it was last October. Things might have changed now, but probably not.

Anyway, everything I bought was from Amazon US and Amazon Japan. Funny thing is, I had everything in front of me but my thermal paste was delayed by a week. It was the longest week of my life. Couldn't find that particular paste anywhere in Tokyo either. lol

Also, don't buy pre-built from Japan. It is not worth the money. The PSU is always shit, and so is the mobo.

This might be the right place to ask this question: can I buy a Wonder Festival ticket at the venue on that day? I have read the official website, and it seems to imply that it is possible to buy one before entering the main hall.

Yes you can. And it's the exhibition catalogue you buy that also doubles as your ticket. It's heavy, so bring a backpack or something to put it in.

Skinpop

Also, don't buy pre-built from Japan. It is not worth the money. The PSU is always shit, and so is the mobo.

might as well order some parts from us then, especially since I'm buying around obon anyway. 3 weeks sound insane though.
EDIT:
The one thing that worries me is that my last build went through two faulty PSU's(the first one within a week...), waiting 3+ weeks for a replacement if case of a breakdown is sort of a deal breaker for me.
/EDIT

Any recommendations on what to get? 550-650w should be enough.

Yes you can. And it's the exhibition catalogue you buy that also doubles as your ticket. It's heavy, so bring a backpack or something to put it in.

Thank you for the answer and advice! I will arrive at Japan on 29th July, so I will not have time to buy one prior to the event. So excited about it.

TsuXna

might as well order some parts from us then, especially since I'm buying around obon anyway. 3 weeks sound insane though.
EDIT:
The one thing that worries me is that my last build went through two faulty PSU's(the first one within a week...), waiting 3+ weeks for a replacement if case of a breakdown is sort of a deal breaker for me.
/EDIT

I ordered my PSU and GPU from US too. You definitely want to go with a solid quality psu otherwise it will fuck up your PC.
I'd recommend this EVGA Supernova G2 or if you want something a little bit cheaper than that and smaller than Supernova GQ.

Ayumi

EDIT:
/EDIT

Got this one myself: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HA3RGE/?tag=neogaf0e-20
It's a great PSU and I'm very happy with it.
Also imported these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFF7Y4A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEQYQHA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal: JPY 62,340
Shipping & Handling: JPY 2,812
Total before tax: JPY 70,364
Estimated tax to be collected: JPY 0
Import Fees Deposit JPY 5,212
Grand Total: JPY 70,364
Refund Total: Y 5,213

The refund was 60 days after purchase (or 90? I don't remember). Anyway, much better than buying a more expensive GPU from Japan + bad RAM/PSU. I think it took 3 weeks to arrive, but was totally worth the wait.

Hi JapanGAF!!!

I used to live in Japan for five years while I was growing up (we were stationed for two years at Sasebo and then another three at Okinawa), and I've recently learned that my folks and I will be moving back to Okinawa in the months to come. My mom's going in August to start her new job as a teacher on one of the bases there, while my dad and I will move over there in December.

It's been over thirteen years since I last set foot on Japan, so I was wondering if you guys had any words of advice on what to do when I get there? Hope you're all doing well!

zoozilla

I'd highly recommend you import some parts from Amazon US (even if you're not from there). Japan has a very bad selection of PSUs and RAM, because they don't know how to properly price shit so the decent stuff is ridiculously expensive (but sometimes non-existent). I imported my GPU (plus RAM sticks and the PSU) from Amazon US, and it was about the same price I'd pay for the same GPU (plus shitty RAM/PSU) here. If you don't wanna wait 3 weeks though.. but still, it's really hard to find a decent PSU. Then I actually got back some of the shipping money (since it was a deposit). So it was slightly cheaper + better components to import. You gotta check Amazon US and make comparison sheet. I did that although it was last October. Things might have changed now, but probably not.

Anyway, everything I bought was from Amazon US and Amazon Japan. Funny thing is, I had everything in front of me but my thermal paste was delayed by a week. It was the longest week of my life. Couldn't find that particular paste anywhere in Tokyo either. lol

I'd agree with this, though I didn't import anything. I ended up spending around the equivalent of $1000 for what would have been an $800 build in the US. I bought the bulk of the parts from Amazon JP, but also used Kakaku.com and ordered from smaller sites for the more expensive items (like GPU).

It's not impossible to get a decent PSU and RAM, though. I got these:

http://https://www.amazon.co.jp/CoolerMaster-80PLUS-GOLD認証-650W電源ユニットV650-Semi-Modular/dp/B00FH8UB2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498457871&sr=8-1&keywords=coolermaster+v650
https://www.amazon.co.jp/CORSAIR-メモリモジュール-VENGEANCE-8GB×2枚キット-CMK16GX4M2A2666C16/dp/B0123ZC44Y/ref=pd_bxgy_147_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6434ADP8Y9N5M8N3NH2C

I didn't go to Akihabara or anything, maybe you could find decent used parts there.

Ayumi

That PSU is on sale now which makes it a bit more fair. I guess you *can* get decent RAM too. But in mycase I knew exactly what I wanted so I just decided to import anyway. Plus new GPUs are ridiculously expensive in Japan. It's different if you're okay with used though, although I personally wasn't interested in that.

I also avidly checked kakaku (and other websites) but in the end I found Amazon to cover my needs. This was last October so thing are probably priced differently. Stocks are probably different as well. Just gotta do proper research and comparison to figure out what's currently the best option.

Sucks to know if I lived in the US and bought all my parts there my rig would've been much better. I'd have a 1080 instead of 1070 for instance. But that's fine - I love my 1070.

Skinpop

Stocks are probably different as well. Just gotta do proper research and comparison to figure out what's currently the best option.
Yeah for sure, unfortunately with the recent Ether craze gpu prices are insane. I'm buying in august so hopefully by then prices have begun to drop and maybe volta will be available by then..

The refund was 60 days after purchase (or 90? I don't remember). Anyway, much better than buying a more expensive GPU from Japan + bad RAM/PSU. I think it took 3 weeks to arrive, but was totally worth the wait.

That looks pretty good. If the difference is less than around 15000 I might not bother, otherwise I'll go for US amazon for those parts.

Next I'm looking for a decent case. I know what I would buy if I bought the thing in sweden... but again japanese prices are whacky and most of the brands I've never even heard about.

This one has a decent price and a clean enough look for me, anyone has experience with this Enermax brand?
http://www.dospara.co.jp/5shopping/detail_parts.php?bg=1&br=72&sbr=79&ic=436891&lf=0

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my computer questions.

Ayumi

Don't worry about hijacking, your questions are relevant anyway.

When I was shopping I couldn't find a GOLD PSU to a good price in Japan. It was all BRONZE and overpriced, or just stuff with very bad reviews. I was gonna buy my RAM locally too, but figured I might as well get a better brand from the US since I was already importing two components.

An important tip is to always check reviews through Amazon US and not JP, since the PC building business is considerably higher in the US, so the US reviews will be way more accurate towards quality. Plus people in Japan aren't as experienced with building PCs, so they don't always know how to give good reviews. And often they don't review at all. But usually, people here don't build PCs so there just isn't enough user experience to go by. That's probably a part of why a $100 PSU sometimes is labeled as ¥30,000 etc. lol

No experience with ENERMAX btw. Another thing I found a bit limited was the towers. I got a CoolerMaster K282 which is fine (but kinda old) although my EVO 212 almost didn't fit even though the case window was pointing outwards. I'd probably have gotten a better mid tower but I was already stretching my budget. Might buy a new one eventually. It's pretty good at collecting dust, although that might be the air conditioning.

Kazzy

Hey everybody! I just moved back to Japan; was really glad that it was raining when I arrived too, but not so lucky today!

Anyway, doing my research now on a couple of things, but thought that somebody could probably have a better answer for these than I do at the moment. He last time I was here was around 2 years ago, so I suspect some things may have changed slightly.

The first thing is the really annoying prospect of buying a new phone. I was originally just going to get a data sim, but dropping a plate on my phone at the gym kind of put an end to that. If I'm going for an iPhone, which is the best network to go with?

Second is about gyms. I've already done some research about this, but a lot of it seems to suggest you can't really do much until you get here, because of of how they vary in quality so wildly here. I need everything in terms of weights, and time is important too; I remember some gyms being really odd in that regard. Does anyone have any good recommendations? There's a Konami club near my new apartment, but I've heard they aren't the best value...

If anyone can offer anything for any of these, it'd be a great help.

Second is about gyms. I've already done some research about this, but a lot of it seems to suggest you can't really do much until you get here, because of of how they vary in quality so wildly here. I need everything in terms of weights, and time is important too; I remember some gyms being really odd in that regard. Does anyone have any good recommendations? There's a Konami club near my new apartment, but I've heard they aren't the best value...

This really depends on your area and how far you're willing to travel for your gym. I'm currently a member at Konami, and it is definitely not the best value - paying around 9600 yen a month. At the very least, Konami should have some free weights, machines, a squat rack, bench press, and several benches. As you probably know, most Japanese people who go to the gym do so for cardio and/or classes, so the weight area in Konami (a more mainstream gym) will be smaller and crowded during peak hours. I put up with it because it's a 5 minute bike-ride and I wanted to get started at a gym as soon as I arrived that had a squat rack and benches.

IF the above is not to your liking, then you might try looking around for a community center gym or locally owned gym. They may not be as decked out with weights and nice equipment as Konami, but it would be cheaper. A coworker of mine goes to a local, non-franchise gym, but it doesn't have a squat rack. So that's the danger of opting for a cheaper local option.

For phones, specifically iphone... who knows all three major providers are a bit of a crapshoot it seems like anywhere else in the world. I'd go for whatever most of your friends, co-workers, people around you have personally.

If not that I'd look into the Rakuten data plan for third party phones. A few of my friends have it and I'm going to try and sign up for it myself soon this summer since my current one under Docomo is dying (unresponsive screen) and on the last 3-ish months of its contract.

As for gyms... yeah once again crapshoot. Larger cities will have things like Gold's. I know one in Tokyo was pretty dang big by Japan gym standards. Others like Konami and Joyfit are more common, should have like the above said, cardio and depending on location, various strength training items. I'm signed up to Joyfit in my city, under 7,000 a month, 24 hour, also get to enter other locations in the country if traveling... though I've never gotten the courage/not been hung over to go in another city lol.

Other than that small local gyms, sports centers, or training facilities can be an option. We have a budokan here (3 actually) for various training mostly judo. Also a health club that has more of everything but its also like 3x the price and in the middle of the love hotel area (my cities layout is weird as fuck, real 12 year old messing around on simcity stuff haha)

Depending where you are you really have to just ask and take a look to see what they have.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For phones, I second the opinion that it's the easiest to go with what people you are going to contact have.

Some of my friends are using the super cheap plans, but those have a downside of super slow 4G Internet during peak-ish hours.

For gyms, before signing up for a chain one, I would definitely recommend checking the official gym for your district, if you're in Tokyo. The quality of those can vary, but some are very big/well equipped and cheap.

TsuXna

Got out of train and realized i dropped my wallet somewhere. Shit was terrifying since i have all important stuff in it. Had to go back to the previous station. Started looking around where i was sitting and an old man saw me, came up and asked if i lost my wallet. He gave it to the staff near ticket gate. God bless you Grandpa. Saved the day.

Porcile

God bless 'em except when you see random old guys just drop their trousers in the street and take a piss right there and then, or spit a massive phlegm ball on the subway platform floor lol.

Ayumi

Left my iPhone at a public toilet once and didn't realize until a while after. At least 10 people had beenin there after me, yet it was there waiting when I got back.

TsuXna

God bless 'em except when you see random old guys just drop their trousers in the street and take a piss right there and then, or spit a massive phlegm ball on the subway platform floor lol.
It's been 2 years, but i still haven't codwdme across a weird thing. Sadlife.

Left my iPhone at a public toilet once and didn't realize until a while after. At least 10 people had beenin there after me, yet it was there waiting when I got back.

Lucky. Usually no one touches my stuff when i leave them around so i got pretty careless with my personal belongings. Time to learn it the hard way again.

There are lots of "social experiments" on YouTube (and also in written forms) where people have left a wallet or a phone on the streets or a park bench and nobody took it. Idk how fake these articles are but in general Japan is absolutely one of the "safest" places in the world to lose stuff.

Ayumi

There are lots of "social experiments" on YouTube (and also in written forms) where people have left a wallet or a phone on the streets or a park bench and nobody took it. Idk how fake these articles are but in general Japan is absolutely one of the "safest" places in the world to lose stuff.
It definitely is. I was at a small local bar once where the guy next to me left his wallet and stack of folded cash right there on the bench so he could go take a piss. He only brought his phone. Must've been like 5man there at least. He seemed very scary looking though. The kind that sticks your feet in a bucket of cement and dumps you in the sea, if you know what I mean.

Ayumi

hmm...Nobody would pick up something that is left in a public toilet...no?

I did when I found a phone at a mall, because I didn't want anyone else to steal it. So I left it at the infodesk with the security guards. An hour later I was contacted by a very happy owner!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I did when I found a phone at a mall, because I didn't want anyone else to steal it. So I left it at the infodesk with the security guards. An hour later I was contacted by a very happy owner!
I had a chance to do a similar thing only once - found a feature phone on the ground next to a bus stop, took it to the police, spent about 30 minutes on the whole thing and no one contacted me to say thanks. :(

TsuXna

Someone help me to remember the place i really wanted to go but forget the name. Basically it's a very beautiful island surrounded by sea and located 30 minutes away from Shinjuku. That's a very broad description but that's pretty much all i remember D:

urfe

Someone help me to remember the place i really wanted to go but forget the name. Basically it's a very beautiful island surrounded by sea and located 30 minutes away from Shinjuku. That's a very broad description but that's pretty much all i remember D:

Enoshima?

wow just had an earthquake here in Kagoshima, first time feeling one of the really sudden fast ones. Others since I've been here were just the swaying type. This one felt like a bunch of bombs went off. Only a 5+, but its epicenter was pretty close.

Might be because the building were in today is old lol. Been really weak 1.0's around us since last weekend so I guess it was coming.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWZMbKqBuiF/ dang friends bars are not surviving though...

RM8

This is a typical expat in Japan thing, but, I'm going through a rather strong Japan fatigue phase these days ;( Some of my best friends from Mexico came to visit me for 3 weeks and I honestly didnt realize how much I miss and need them. My relationships here felt shallow when compared directly... and my Japanese study is getting more and more difficult, I'm not sure if I'll pass N1 in December. I quit a nice job and a comfortable (if a bit stale and samey) life with lots of people that make my life awesome back home, and while I have no regrets, it's undeniable that it was quite a big sacrifice. And I just hope it was for the best.

Or maybe I'm grumpy because FUCK Japanese summer and weather in general, holy shit, this is downright unlivable.

/rant

Top Bottom