• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah Rallymans great how did you get on with One deck dungeon.

Rallyman out of print and expansion which is great is out of print. Good luck finding that.

I discovered that you can order the game off of the developer's website, but there's no option to ship to the US. Either that or I'm missing it.

As for ODD, I'm trying some new tactics. I'm realizing that each character is going to have an easier/harder time in a given dungeon. So I'm trying to figure out how to best deal with individual those shortcomings. Skill combos are HUGE, so I've been prioritizing combos and leveling. Items and potions come when their are doors open with little to no synergy.

Oh, that's another thing I've been focusing on. Opening more doors before tackling a challenge. I'll weigh the encounter against how many open doors vs rewards to see if I should engage or flee. I think these sorts of decisions are going to help turn the game into a MORE skilled game, but I still think that it's going to boil down to luck more often than not.

I discovered that you can order the game off of the developer's website, but there's no option to ship to the US. Either that or I'm missing it.
It opens up a PayPal window for me on mobile. I assume it just uses whatever address is linked to your PayPal account. Though I haven't gone too far cause I don't want to reach checkout by accident.

I am on the hunt for their other 3 big games now but they are so damn hard to get.

Are you talking about Great Zimbabwe, Antiquity, and Roads and Boats? Great Zimbabwe should still be in stock after their latest reprint unless it's OOS already. But yeah, the other two are hard to find at a decent price. I would really like to play Antiquity at some point. (Along with all of their other games, as I haven't even played my copy of FCM, TGZ, or Indonesia...)

Gurrry

So they just opened up a new gaming bar here in austin called Vigilante, we went today and wow it was amazing. They made these amazing custom tables with extendable trays to put food, cup holders for drinks, outlets to plug in computers/phones etc, and a button that if you press it you can have the waiter come up and take an order. On top of that, they have a huge menu of games you can rent from their wall (you can also bring games from home as well).

Simply incredible. I will be going there every weekend.

So they just opened up a new gaming bar here in austin called Vigilante, we went today and wow it was amazing. They made these amazing custom tables with extendable trays to put food, cup holders for drinks, outlets to plug in computers/phones etc, and a button that if you press it you can have the waiter come up and take an order. On top of that, they have a huge menu of games you can rent from their wall (you can also bring games from home as well).

Simply incredible. I will be going there every weekend.

Looks like a really nice place. Are there any more pictures of the gaming scene outside of the Google?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daaaamn that's awesome. My wife and I would be there every date night. Game Kastle down here is great for gaming, but all they really have is a snack bar so not really much of a date place (not that that stops is, but still)".

Had an awesome day of gaming today, despite being hungover from an engagement party the night before.

Lots of Inis and the Arkham Horror LCG. Was a really great way to spend the day. I know I think I said it before but Inis is so much fun for me. Whenever anyone asks to play it there isn't a single bit of hesitation or drudgery in me at all.

I kinda suck at it but it really is so fun. We ALL had pretender tokens in one round with me as the Brenn, my buddy then moved in on one of my territories to stop me from winning but then cost himself his victory condition as he wasn't chieftain over 6 clans anymore, leaving his partner to sweep up the win. It is just so tense and every decision seems so important but you never really know what will happen.

AMUSIX

Had a few friends over, and we played our first game of Battlestar Galactica. Yeah, I know we're more than a few years behind the curve, and a lot of people seem to now rip on the game, but we had a blast. Humans won, though I must admit that it felt a lot easier than I expected it to. We had one or two instances when we felt any threat at all from raiders, but we jumped away both times, so cleared the board. After that, I don't think we ever saw another basestar, making all activations nothing. Also made the revealed cylon's big Crisis Card completely useless, as it relied on having a basestar present.

The big thing that happened was that the cylon in our midst tried to sabotage almost every skill check. Problem was that the destiny deck helped EVERY time. Was a complete fluke, but the destiny deck never once gave us a bad card, so even when he dropped two 5s, we just assumed destiny screwed us.

I was playing Roslin, found her ability to choose from two crisis cards to be extremely useful, to the point of being overpowered.

We'll play again, definitely.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Archipelago has a lot of open player trading.

Archipelago was too tame on the trading aspect for us. Even if you dont want to trade, you usually have a different way out and the actual trading wasnt a hugely complex consideration, as it mostly revolved around needing one resource more.

Any other suggestions for a more complex game focussed on player trading?
I'll definitely look into Genoa, though.

Archipelago was too tame on the trading aspect for us. Even if you dont want to trade, you usually have a different way out and the actual trading wasnt a hugely complex consideration, as it mostly revolved around needing one resource more.

Chinatown too light?

tm24

I finally got Mechs vs Minions to the table. This game is rad and the effort going into the game sets the mood so hard

JesseZao

How much replayability does Arkham Horror LCG have by scenarios? Are there things that rely on unknown information to make it fun?

I'm mostly asking because I'll want to go through it with different groups or try different difficulties. Do people copy the campaign log or is there an app for it?

XShagrath

How much replayability does Arkham Horror LCG have by scenarios? Are there things that rely on unknown information to make it fun?

I'm mostly asking because I'll want to go through it with different groups or try different difficulties. Do people copy the campaign log or is there an app for it?

I find it very replayable, even "knowing" what I should do. There's quite a bit of variability in that there are multiple versions of locations and you'll be asked to just use a random one. Also, the campaigns scenarios have numerous different resolutions that will lead you down a slightly different path and change up the way the next one is played. Using different investigators will also help to extend the life of the game as well.

I've played through the core campaign four times now, and still haven't gotten an "optimal" resolution on the last one. I've also gone through the Dunwich expansion (just the two scenarios in the box so far) three times, and I'm eager to play more.

I just got things working with OCTGN, so I can play online now. That will help in playing with people that aren't local, as well as allowing me to tweak decks and run through things solo without having to clear off the table and get out all the physical cards.

Lupercal

Banned

The new Godfather game is pretty focused on trading, deals and agreements.
Pretty good too.

JesseZao

I find it very replayable, even "knowing" what I should do. There's quite a bit of variability in that there are multiple versions of locations and you'll be asked to just use a random one. Also, the campaigns scenarios have numerous different resolutions that will lead you down a slightly different path and change up the way the next one is played. Using different investigators will also help to extend the life of the game as well.

I've played through the core campaign four times now, and still haven't gotten an "optimal" resolution on the last one. I've also gone through the Dunwich expansion (just the two scenarios in the box so far) three times, and I'm eager to play more.

I just got things working with OCTGN, so I can play online now. That will help in playing with people that aren't local, as well as allowing me to tweak decks and run through things solo without having to clear off the table and get out all the physical cards.

Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to run though it this week.

I did find it irksome that they require a container for the chaos tokens and don't provide it. I feel like FFG did this with another game. I already raided an old Scrabble box and had to dump love letter out for this. I'll probably end up getting or making an app to handle them.

Lyng

Genoa seems like what your looking for.
Chinatown is good too, but you can calculate best options to easily which In turn screws with the negotiation aspect and overall balance.

Go for Genoa

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for all the recommendations. Ponzi Scheme and Container looked good, but they arent really easily available it seems. Found Genoa for 20 bucks and will give that one whirl.

Thanks!

Had an awesome day of gaming today, despite being hungover from an engagement party the night before.

Lots of Inis and the Arkham Horror LCG. Was a really great way to spend the day. I know I think I said it before but Inis is so much fun for me. Whenever anyone asks to play it there isn't a single bit of hesitation or drudgery in me at all.

I kinda suck at it but it really is so fun. We ALL had pretender tokens in one round with me as the Brenn, my buddy then moved in on one of my territories to stop me from winning but then cost himself his victory condition as he wasn't chieftain over 6 clans anymore, leaving his partner to sweep up the win. It is just so tense and every decision seems so important but you never really know what will happen.

Speaking of Inis.

I'm thinking about buying two games out of Inis, Blood Rage and Kemet. They would be my first War games in my collection. Was leaning on Blood Rage and Kemet just based on the theme and the fact that they seem more confrontational.

Which two would you guys recommend?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
32163027184_474bf8b445_b.jpg

This game is pretty good.

Speaking of Inis.

I'm thinking about buying two games out of Inis, Blood Rage and Kemet. They would be my first War games in my collection. Was leaning on Blood Rage and Kemet just based on the theme and the fact that they seem more confrontational.

Inis, some people love (like me) and others really dont. It would be worth looking at a mix of reviews to see if the possible negatives would really impact on the game for you.

Another thing to keep in mind is system variety. I love drafting mechanics but Inis and Blood Rage together might be too much.

I dont think you can really go wrong either way :)

I did find it irksome that they require a container for the chaos tokens and don't provide it. I feel like FFG did this with another game. I already raided an old Scrabble box and had to dump love letter out for this. I'll probably end up getting or making an app to handle them.

I've switched to using this app pretty much exclusively: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arkham/id1153235167?mt=8

Makes it so much easier to switch between scenarios (which I am mostly doing because Carnavale seems unbeatable at the moment :/)

Speaking of Inis.

They're all great, but Blood Rage is probably the #1 pick from that list - especially if you're looking for more of an introductory area control game. It's got some Euro elements that the others don't.

Have you ruled out Cyclades? It's usually lumped in with Kemet and I enjoy it more due to the auctions.

Lyng

Speaking of Inis.

What player count?

I was at a thrift store yesterday and found a near perfect condition of Wits & Wagers Party Edition for $3! Seriously, I don't even know if this was even used once. Looks like it was opened but never played. I've been meaning to buy this as a party game but never bit until now. Twas fun.

joelseph

Santorini
Santorini
Santorini

Played best of 3, 2v2. Each player is dealt 3 powers each game and they have to choose 1. Once a power has used it is not available for the following games.

I played as Bia,

Soooogooood.gif

Toma

Santorini
Santorini
Santorini

Played best of 3, 2v2. Each player is dealt 3 powers each game and they have to choose 1. Once a power has used it is not available for the following games.

I played as Bia,

Soooogooood.gif

Absolutely agree. 2v2 is a real brainbreaker and its still my favourite 2 player game with my girlfriend. Pic from yesterday;
8vQRwzC.jpg

It was a shame to hear shut up and sit down talk about Santorini on their podcast. Paraphrasing:

"You win by finishing a tower...and your people can sit on top of the tower and block people from winning... it is, fine"

You could tell the other guys were thinking "hmm, that doesn't sound right" but they had not bothered to play it either so couldn't really argue.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It was a shame to hear shut up and sit down talk about Santorini on their podcast. Paraphrasing:

"You win by finishing a tower...and your people can sit on top of the tower and block people from winning... it is, fine"

You could tell the other guys were thinking "hmm, that doesn't sound right" but they had not bothered to play it either so couldn't really argue.

There definitely is something to SU&SD where they generally dislike(ish?) when something is almost too refined and elegant. I'd actually say that they approach 7 Wonders the same way -- not that the games are similar but they've "hated" (ok basically just said they don't really get the appeal or fun) on both 7W and Duel as well seemingly because they just didn't have a lot of cruft -- whether it be mechanics, themes, or both. Not a knock against them just something I've kind of puzzled out as being an idiosyncrasy.

Lyng

There definitely is something to SU&SD where they generally dislike(ish?) when something is almost too refined and elegant. I'd actually say that they approach 7 Wonders the same way -- not that the games are similar but they've "hated" (ok basically just said they don't really get the appeal or fun) on both 7W and Duel as well seemingly because they just didn't have a lot of cruft -- whether it be mechanics, themes, or both. Not a knock against them just something I've kind of puzzled out as being an idiosyncrasy.

Yeah the same when Matt was talking about Scythe (even without having played it).

I agree with them though, it's a very dry abstract game. It's fine, but there a tons of more interesting abstract games.

Toma

I agree with them though, it's a very dry abstract game. It's fine, but there a tons of more interesting abstract games.

I have played it quite a bit now and its pretty much one of the best 2 player games for a 20-30 minute session I played, especially due to how much versatility the different player powers offer faced off against each other. It is incredibly rewarding to figure out how to approach each individual game. I dont think I am aware of any other "abstract" game that is as versatile (at least in the same time frame).

Yeah the same when Matt was talking about Scythe (even without having played it).

That conversation annoyed me a little. Reading a rulebook then trying to form opinions on the game without ever seeing how those systems are when moving, when bouncing off other people etc is very silly.

I can get flicking through a rulebook to get an idea if the game is for you or not, but to sit down and talk about a game? Eh.

JesseZao

That conversation annoyed me a little. Reading a rulebook then trying to form opinions on the game without ever seeing how those systems are when moving, when bouncing off other people etc is very silly.

I can get flicking through a rulebook to get an idea if the game is for you or not, but to sit down and talk about a game? Eh.

Scythe is beautiful in motion. I didn't learn it from the rulebook, so I'm not sure how elegant it is, but just because a game is good, doesn't mean the rulebook is.

That said, Stonemaier Games have reliable quality and I thought the Viticulture/Tuscany rulebooks were good.

Scythe is beautiful in motion. I didn't learn it from the rulebook, so I'm not sure how elegant it is, but just because a game is good, doesn't mean the rulebook is.

That said, Stonemaier Games have reliable quality and I thought the Viticulture/Tuscany rulebooks were good.

The rulebook is good. It took my brother 10-15 minutes to learn the game by reading it. It is perfectly elegant and clear about how everything works. It isn't like Robinson Crusoe or Mage Knight hehe.

It still isn't, in my opinion, the best way to approach a somewhat serious discussion about a game though.

I'm looking forward to Paul's review.

Gurrry

Been trying to learn heroclix rules and its pretty impenetrable on first glance. Still dont understand alot of it but i wanna get a few figures and try playing. It seems like my type of game!

I'm ok with the conclusion. In fact, I have found it a bit more meh than I expected.

My issue is that their description of the game and how it works was wrong. Normally this is understandable, but Santorini is literally "learn it in 60 seconds". If you don't even know the win condition you do have to wonder about the opinion overall.

When you combine that with thoughts on Scythe based on the rulebook, it was all very off.

Chris R

Finished Pandemic Legacy

spoilers...
Kinda bummed our end game score wasnt higher considering we won in December. Totally eradicated the virus in our first game, did the searching in game 2, but because we only did 3 of the 4 searches for the vacineen we lost 200 points and ended mid 550s. But even if we had done all four searches we would have ended with 750s, not the best possible outcome even with every city cured and only 3 fallen cities (in the Middle East, go figure)

Now to find our next game. Has to be something war like, nothing co-op, we need to make each other bleed for a bit before getting all happy and play together again.

Finally got War of the Ring to the table! Sorry for the blog post in advance.

I mainly play with two other friends for our near-weekly board game night. After I bought WotR like 3 or 4 weeks ago, I texted them about it to let them know. Friend A was the only one who seemed interested, so for the past few weeks we would plan to have the main game night with everyone be Saturday, and he comes over Sunday night to play WotR. Sadly, he kept cancelling for various reasons the past 3 weeks so it's been sitting fresh in its box.

Well, with the long holiday weekend, Friend B (the one who did not seem particularly interested at first) texted me out of the blue and was wondering if he could come over one of these nights and play WotR! I had no idea he was really into LotR/Tolkien and wasn't sure if this was his style of game, so it was a bit of a gamble in my opinion on what his opinion of it was going to be but I was super enthusiastic about him giving it a shot. Long story short, we had a great first game. Obviously took a bit longer due to rule books, various breaks, etc, so it lasted between 3pm-10pm. Well, we finish that game at 10pm and he immediately wants to play again. Like, holy shit. After getting done with a 7 hour-ish game, he doesn't want to catch his breath but wants to jump back in? Well, I did not hesitate! Part of this was because our main game night, and dinner with friends was the next night, so he decided just to crash at our place, and could get more game time in.

He even saw I had the expansions, so we decided to add only one of them during that second game to not overwhelm with new complexity. It was a bit of a rough start with the new rules, new dice and new companion/minions and what to use when doing the "original" scenario and not Councils of Rivendell. Well, within the first hour we pretty much got over that hump, and eventually paused the game at 2am. Woke up around 10am and it took another 90 minutes in the morning to finish the game. So, around 4 hours-ish, even with new rules? Not too shabby.

Detailed Results / commentary:
Game One

Shadow Peoples (Friend B)
Free Peoples (Me!)
Shadow People Victory: Corruption, Ring-Bearers 2 steps until Crack of Doom.

Shadow player was a few actions away from a military victory it seemed like. I was at like 9 or 10 corruption. Had to risk moving and pulling the hunt pool this turn I felt because it was my last action for the current turn, and if I could hold out militarily until the start of the next turn, I could attempt the last step to win as my first action.

To show the hunt tile odds I was going with, the previous turn, the SP was kind enough to play two cards which let him randomly draw a tile out of the hunt pool and it would immediately apply the effects unless it was an eye or special token (those just got discarded). I prayed he pulled eyes to improve my chances. Wouldn't you know it, lady luck ensured that both times he played a card like that, they pulled out both my "0" and "-2" special tiles I put in there previously! Damn. That meant only the beige and SP special tokens were in there. None of which are good. Still had to go for it I thought and pray for 1's or maybe a 0, but on that last hunt pool pull, he naturally pulled an eye, and there were enough dice to finish me off.

My luck ran dry, but it was CLOSE! I thought I was pretty screwed early on, but I managed to hang in there thanks to a few good defenses in a siege. Eventually, I just got the fire lit under my ass once I was starting to see more and more of my units leave the field, so I began Operation Sprint To The Damn Mountain. Very enjoyable for both of us though! I could not have asked for a more perfect first game.

Game Two
Shadow Peoples (Me!)
Free Peoples (Friend B)

Shadow People Victory: Military victory. We're new at this, and my friend loves to play with different strategies, but sadly it didn't work out at all. His primary focus was on military, with a big emphasis on getting the Dwarves and North into the fight, so he was splitting the Fellowship a lot and even running the ring-bearers into the north-western part of the map to activate the Dwarves and North from those locations. Though, he spent the majority of his time not moving the ring bearers. They sat in Rivendell for like 2 turns before he decided to move them (and that's where he took them to the north west). When the game ended, they were at the Shire. Obviously, during this time as the SP, I was able to whittle his military down. I was also able to put a card in place to stop Rohan from activating, so they were honestly a complete no-show for the game until the end when I swooped in my military to grab their 3 points (which did activate them -- but no use by this point). Yes, if I recall correctly, that card could have been discarded with the use of a Will of the West result, but my friend never did that because he wanted all his actions to be focused on the north. Sorry Rohan. :(

I started my strategy with a Lorien rush which he tried hard to defend to no avail, and I then followed it up by sieging Gondor, then he left Rivendell undefended (and had no elves in reserve and no other units nearby) so I took two units to grab that, and finished it up by closing the jaws on Rohan from Gondor and Orthanc.

This second game was a bit too one-sided, but it was actually great for us learning new strategies. We spent a while talking about different strategies we should have taken, and spent a while strategizing some FP strategies. You know you have a good game when you can spend like an hour after the game talking about different strategies you could have used and how much it would change the game.

Overall, huge success this weekend!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Finished Pandemic Legacy

spoilers...
Kinda bummed our end game score wasnt higher considering we won in December. Totally eradicated the virus in our first game, did the searching in game 2, but because we only did 3 of the 4 searches for the vacineen we lost 200 points and ended mid 550s. But even if we had done all four searches we would have ended with 750s, not the best possible outcome even with every city cured and only 3 fallen cities (in the Middle East, go figure)

Now to find our next game. Has to be something war like, nothing co-op, we need to make each other bleed for a bit before getting all happy and play together again.
How many were you playing with?
Heard that the game difficulty is kind of out of wack -- i.e., quite easy for 2 and quite hard for 4. We just barely got the highest rating by three points, but were playing 2p (and obviously a lot of it is kind of random).

Top Bottom