• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlyne Yi accuses David Cross of being racist toward her

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKM78613

Neo Member
For what it's worth, I see people trying to do that with the Donald Duck anti-Nazi cartoon all the fucking time. Well, maybe not using it as a alt right meme, but using it to shut down criticism with "see even Donald Duck was racist".

Had to google that and yeah, it’s real easy to do with those images. One of the stills I saw is just Donald reading Mein Kampf.

Chojin

Sorry I thought I had read it in the article, but probably just that I've been reading Three Kingdoms and playing RotK 13 with Sun Yi. Now I realize Yi would be the given name. At the very least I've been studying Japanese lately for Dragon Quest X and knew "Yi" was not a japanese syllable.

Probably shouldn't have posted without being sure. But tried to double check shortly after (I'm on mobile).

Regarding the "Filipina" comment, wouldn't you say "She is a Filipina" to describe a woman from the Philippines? But as an adjective, since I am trying to modify "ancestry", google tells me that "Phillipine ancestry" would be correct? But maybe that site was wrong? It's kind of off topic but this has confused me before so any feedback is great.

Eh we just say Filipino Ancestry. I was being nitpicky but more in an elbowey nudge kind of way.

Still its easy to assume Chinese with Yi. But theres lots of Filipinos with Chinese ancestry. Like Malaysians.

L Thammy

To weigh in on the Rashomon thing:

It could be used in good faith or in bad faith, but part of the accusation was that he made mock Chinese noises at her and asked her if she was going fight him with karate. It's harder for me to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding him not mocking an East Asian woman by shouting random stereotypical Asian things at her when he ends up his response with a random Asian thing.

I can't say with confidence why he said it, but at best, he could have been a lot smarter about his response.

k1I6Y5h.jpg

Pepboy

Eh we just say Filipino Ancestry. I was being nitpicky but more in an elbowey nudge kind of way.

Still its easy to assume Chinese with Yi. But theres lots of Filipinos with Chinese ancestry. Like Malaysians.

Okay thank you for the feedback, will edit and sorry again for earlier confusion.

C.Mongler

Ooof that "apology"; christ D.Cross, just take the L. How hard is it to just say you fucked up and have grown and since come to understand how such language can be harmful and yadda yadda. Making some huffy post that reads like you're annoyed you had to open up your Note app and type a 500 character half-apology for once in your life, only to end it with 'MAYBE WE'RE BOTH WRONG hashtag roshomon' really just cements Yi's accusation that you're kind of a dildo.

Erheller

Maybe. In this case, the movie doesn't reinforce any Asian stereotypes and is referenced quite often in that context. I think people latching on to that and missing all the other non-apology garbage is missing the point. He also had other posts on the matter before that.

I'm not familiar with the film (I've seen a few other Kurosawa films but not that one), but I am loath to give this guy the benefit of the doubt when the rest of his "apology" is such a disaster (which we do agree on).

dawgparty

That is super fucked up if true. Like unreal.

In case anyone misses the subtle bullshit at the end of his tweet there, Rashomon is a classic Japanese film directed by Akira Kurosawa exploring unreliable narrators who all recall different versions of the same event. Because, you know, she's Asian.
There's enough bullshit here that you don't really need to create more by reaching.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I love Mr. Show a lot, and uh, let's say my esteem of David Cross has dropped pretty significantly the last 10 years or so. This non-apology is pretty gross.

Just fucking own it. Even if you really don't remember doing it. "I would like to think I am not capable of blatant and potentially hurtful racism that isn't intended to be seen in a comedic light, but it's entirely possible that I was unaware of how stupid I was being or how terrible what I might have said was and for that I am sorry."

It's not hard, telling her you're not calling her a liar but she's wrong is the worst way to go about this and absolutely do not fucking follow it with a hashtag that has even a 5% chance of proving how either racist or dense you are

Boylamite

Nonono not David Cross. He's one of my favorite comedians and mr show/ with bob & david are among my favorite shows.

Dammit.

RMI

Banned
Perhaps I'm giving Cross too much credit but making a racist remark with a fake southern accent seems like potential satirizing of bigoted rednecks?

putting on an accent while making racist remarks directly to other people does not make it okay. sure, context is important, but Charlyne is saying here that it was inappropriate and hurtful.

All David had to do was apologize sincerely, and instead of doing that, he cast doubt over the entire situation and even went so far as to imply there is no true version of past events without evidence by bringing up this dumb Rashomon bullshit.

How hard is it to just say, "I was a dumbass. I behaved like a dumbass. At the time it didn't occur to me how my behavior could cause you harm. I regret it now that I am aware of the harm I caused. I ask for forgiveness and will try to do better."

That is super fucked up if true. Like unreal.

There's enough bullshit here that you don't really need to create more by reaching.

He hash-tagged an asian movie, which in turn put most of the focus on it instead of the apology.

he might as well had said

#sorry, not sorry

entremet

What if both accounts are true? People see things differently all the time.

That said, Cross killed any real sincerity with the BS non apology.

Sliver

Just fucking own it. Even if you really don't remember doing it. "I would like to think I am not capable of blatant and potentially hurtful racism that isn't intended to be seen in a comedic light, but it's entirely possible that I was unaware of how stupid I was being or how terrible what I might have said was and for that I am sorry."

It's not hard, telling her you're not calling her a liar but she's wrong is the worst way to go about this and absolutely do not fucking follow it with a hashtag that has even a 5% chance of proving how either racist or dense you are

Fuck that, don't apologize for something you didn't do. Especially something this contentious and public. His response is awful though, don't know what he was thinking.

RMI

Banned
Fuck that, don't apologize for something you didn't do. Especially something this contentious and public. His response is awful though, don't know what he was thinking.

something you didn't do? or something you don't recall doing? the distinction is important here.

I am not seeing the problem here. If he doesnt remember this and genuinely doesnt believe that this happened then that reply is pretty fair. It is actually as courteous as it can be.

Why would he apologize for something he doesnt think he ever did?

L Thammy

Uh, if he was going chingchong at her, that's pretty clear cut. There's basically no context where that isn't racist. I don't see how truth can end up in the middle here.

Short of him randomly singing the "Chickity China the Chinese chicken" when they met, I don't know what she might have confused for chingchongchingchong either.

Marcel

Trump era has really made a cottage industry out of white male celebrities and semi-famous online personalities who overdemonstrate good behavior and morality gatekeeping to cover for their shitty behavior. Wonder how many more of these we'll get before 2020.

Erheller

Ftfy. Please be more conscious of your language in the future to avoid microagressions like that.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread. We really needed some concern trolling and deflection in here to help out a racist.

David Cross seems like a genuinely decent person who's a bit unhinged sometimes. If he says he doesn't remember, I believe him. I don't know if that means the girl is misremembering.

I mean I hate to doubt the guy's memory because that is a bullshit way to address any statement he makes, devalues anything he says as negligible but this is the man who admitted to being on cocaine at a presidential dinner. He gets down pretty hard.

You gotta be kidding me with that Rashomon bullshit at the end. He’s basically mocking her and he knows it.

I would say I lost some respect for him but he’s sort of notoriously rude and abrasive from what I’ve heard over the years so I can’t even say I’m surprised.

Catvoca

Banned
I love a lot of his work but he's aways struck me as a bit of an asshole and I really don't find it hard to believe he made those comments. What a fucking awful apology.

Zoe

Damn, I have never seen the film, so I didn't know the meaning of #Rashomon. What an asshole.

Kind of surprising with how outspoken Amber Tamblyn is on issues.

TraBuch

Banned
It wouldn't shock me at all if a guy known to "occasionally" get fucked up doesn't remember something from ten years ago, but that's a pretty weird apology.

Foggy

Let's say you made a racially charged joke to a young Asian woman. And let's say it was REALLY obvious that there was zero ill intent and it was so baldly cartoonish and you made it REALLY obvious that it was all just a silly joke. Let's say you were wearing a giant sign that said I DON'T MEAN ANY OF THIS I'M JUST MAKING FUN OF RACISTS TO BREAK THE ICE I RESPECT YOU AND YOUR HERITAGE AND I'M JUST A CLUMSY SILLY GUY WHO CROSSES THE LINE SOMETIMES BUT I TOTALLY MEAN WELL. Maybe even she chuckles or laughs. Then that same woman, years later, says she was hurt and offended. You're not gonna apologize? Sincerely without just handwaving it by saying she remembered it wrong?

The point was never Rashomon. The point was never "both stories".

It wouldn't shock me at all if a guy known to "occasionally" get fucked up doesn't remember something from ten years ago, but that's a pretty weird apology.
A primarily stand-up comedian, not known for being the friendliest person to work with, making an awkward edgy joke that doesn't quite land, ten years ago, to a complete stranger (possibly even after a show while meeting a ton of people), potentially under the influence of something, doesn't surprise me in the slightest, and is low on the list of things that disrupts my day as an asian american.

The tone of that apology however, is something he really shouldn't have even bothered with since it just makes him come off like a pure asshole.

Acorn

Let's say you made a racially charged joke to a young Asian woman. And let's say it was REALLY obvious that there was zero ill intent and it was so baldly cartoonish and you made it REALLY obvious that it was all just a silly joke. Let's say you were wearing a giant sign that said I DON'T MEAN ANY OF THIS I'M JUST MAKING FUN OF RACISTS TO BREAK THE ICE I RESPECT YOU AND YOUR HERITAGE AND I'M JUST A CLUMSY SILLY GUY WHO CROSSES THE LINE SOMETIMES BUT I TOTALLY MEAN WELL. Maybe even she chuckles or laughs. Then that same woman, years later, says she was hurt and offended. You're not gonna apologize? Sincerely without just handwaving it by saying she remembered it wrong?

The point was never Rashomon. The point was never "both stories".
What any of us would do doesn't matter. Unless you are suggesting because he didn't apologise well we should assume it went down in the worst way.

Mael

Yeah, I'm done with giving the benefit of the doubt to racist douchenozzle.
That he thinks he's being witty with #Rashomon is more than enough reason to think I'm not being unfair in putting that guy in the racist shitpile.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is pretty obvious that he used the ridiculous rashomon hashtag as a reference to unreliable narrators. It is not because it is an Asian film.

Terrible apology though. I'm inclined to believe than an experience like this is going to be remembered much more vividly by the victim than the perpetrator. The detail that he changed to a southern redneck type accent makes me particularly inclined to believe it - it feels like he realised how bad what he said was and tried to make it look like he was just doing some funny accents to save it. Not that it would work - there is no reason to say what he said to anyone, let alone someone you have just met.

#blazingsaddles

Man, it's nuts to me how people don't realize that even if the accusation is exaggerated or false (doesn't seem to be the case here), how much better you look if you just own up to it and acknowledge fault?

I've legitimately made jokes towards people that were, in retrospect, offensive, yet they politely didn't show offense or tell me about it. Once I realized I went and apologized and told them I realized my mistake, and specifically that I realized why it was a mistake. Does it really make up for what I did? No, but Jesus Christ, that's how you apologize.

At some point we have to all recognize that we've all done regretful shit in our past. None of us are perfect or free from criticism. But it's on ourselves to own that shit. To recognize the mistake and point out how we're going to fix it.

We would be so much more better off if everyone did this :/.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
I find it incomprehensible given his body of work that David Cross is genuinely racist.

He's an actor. His stand-up comedy is an act. We don't have any clue what he's really like.

I've been bullied before, and that shit stays with you. Not surprised he doesn't remember. Even if he weren't drunk or high why would he? He probably thought what he did was "just a joke" and didn't give it another thought until now. His statement is very revealing, fuck him. I believe her.

The problem with including the #Rashomon hashtag at the end is that it could conceivably be thought of as either:

A. Racist inference.
or
B. Unreliable narrator.

You want to be clear and unambiguous. David Cross was not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom