• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Archives announced for Switch (old Nintendo arcade games retouched)

maxcriden

Edit: the games are not graphically retouched.

OP, you mention updated graphics but I think these are the unaltered arcade games. They are updated compared to NES versions, but it looks like they are as they were originally released in the arcades.

My mistake, sorry all. I misunderstood the video. Thank you for the correction.

-

Original OP (edited):

VS Mario Bros. first up, September 27.

VS SMB
VS Balloon Fight
VS Ice Climbers
VS Pinball
VS Clu Clu Land
VS Punch-Out!! was teased also.

are all to come, with MP functionality. It wasn't clear to me if online functionality is included. Didn't seem like it though.

Hamster was shown as the dev.

Each seem to be an individual release. No word on pricing yet.

This seems like a new take on VC.

Will update with very brief footage.

Alpha_eX

It bothers me that these will be their own game icon, rather than a single one with a collection. Weird route to go.

I was annoyed that Nintendo kept pushing NES games, and I've wanted them to announce N64 and/or Gamecube games.

They actually went backwards. Christ. Why is a proper VC service beyond them?

I was annoyed that Nintendo kept pushing NES games, and I've wanted them to announce N64 and/or Gamecube games.

They actually went backwards.
Christ. Why is a proper VC service beyond them?

Nothing wrong with the arcade versions. They have some nice twists and they've never been rereleased before.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Wonder what this means, if anything for VC. I think switch is a real cool place for arcade games though (even though these are nes ports). It's too bad it missed out on things like the X-Men Arcade game, The Simpsons Arcade game, tmnt, and even Scott pilgrim last generation.

maxcriden

Wonder what this means, if anything for VC. I think switch is a real cool place for arcade games though (even though these are nes ports). It's too bad it missed out on things like the X-Men Arcade game, The Simpsons Arcade game, tmnt, and even Scott pilgrim last generation.

I'm personally taking it to mean this is the only VC we get till NES early 2018 as part of the online service, and then a while before anything more.

Ninja Dom

You don't know how happy this makes me.

Mario Bros this month.

But where's Donkey Kong, Jr & 3??

EDIT: Forgot the Ikegami Tsushinki saga behind it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Never played any of the arcade versions, this could be interesting. How different is SMB to the NES one?

joedick

This is such great news! Is it actually called VS. Mario Bros as it says in OP? Did they make an enhanced NES version or is it the original arcade game coming?

jph139

I'm interested, depending on the price. Would be cool to play stuff I've never experienced like Punch-Out!! and so on.

The fact we'll (probably) never get Donkey Kong stings though.

Balb

Can't wait for Donkey Kong arcade to finally come out. I'm sure there are some rights issues they're still trying to work out but it's gonna be amazing.

Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

As much as I liked the other announcements (Funny enough, the brother and I were talking Monday, "Wouldn't it be cool if they made Doom for Switch?"), I felt this was brilliant to join with Hamster. A new way to play these classics, and way cheaper than repro carts for the Vs. series.

Hopefully. They can get the third parties along (Vs. Castlevania, Vs. Megaman 3) and maybe the shooting games as well (Vs. Duck Hunt, etc)

Have they already updated the eShop with arcade archives symbols, or have those always been there?

AxSZDy0.jpg

Ninja Dom

Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

Yup, great reminder!

Have they already updated the eShop with arcade archives symbols, or have those always been there?

Been there a while now.

EDIT: Didn't Rare reprogram the Donkey Kong arcade in DK64 from scratch (rather than emulate) to avoid the Ikegami Tsushinki drama?

Jazzem

This was such a surprise! I assumed they'd never bother re-releasing these, aye it's clever for them to partner with Hamster on them.

So excited for Punch-Out, always wanted to play that! Desperately wish we'd get the original Donkey Kong but aye that's likely still a legal issue :(

Donkey Kong won't happen, same with DK Jr. and really early Nintendo cabinets because they are not owned by Nintendo. Nintendo partnered with Ikegami Tsushinki for DK1 and the like, then reverse-engineered its code to make DK Jr. They got their hinders sued for the shenanigans and ((lost the rights to DK1's arcade version and the others)).* Of course, they still own the IP and the decent NES ports.

I understand DK1 is in DK64 because Rare made basically a from-scratch recreation of the game without utilizing the original code at all, or something to that effect.

*Technically this part (()) is my speculation since it was settled out-of-court but since those things have never been re-released it's pretty much everyone's conclusion.

This is pretty awesome. Maybe I'll nab VS. Balloon Fight.

Regarding Donkey Kong

Never knew this, thanks.

NMFried

Really hoping this doesn't replace older Virtual Console offerings. I feel like VC is a goldmine Nintendo has yet to really tap into.

Donkey Kong won't happen, same with DK Jr. and really early Nintendo cabinets because they are not owned by Nintendo. Nintendo partnered with Ikegami Tsushinki for DK1 and the like, then reverse-engineered its code to make DK Jr. They got their hinders sued for the shenanigans and lost the rights to DK1's arcade version and the others. Of course, they still own the IP and the decent NES ports.

I understand DK1 is in DK64 because Rare made basically a from-scratch recreation of the game without utilizing the original code at all, or something to that effect.

The NES verison of Donkey Kong is shit

Top Bottom