• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recording Console Games in 1080p advice / suggestions for hardware

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hey there GAF. Had a question for all you folks who do recording of console game footage. Am curious to hear what kind of hardware setups do you guys use with your PC to record console game footage in 1080p.

I recently picked up a AverMedia Live Gamer HD card but found out that currently without doing some sort of workaround there is no way to record footage from consoles in 1080p. Though seems like some folks managed to get it working but need to do more searching on that.

If anyone has any sort of right out of the box suggestion or solutions any sort of information would be appreciated :)

Needed to try and capture some PS3 footage.

Semi work related question (other half for own amusement to record other game footage) and hope this is in the right section of the forums since its gaming related.

If the live gamer HD dosen´t work try this

hauppauge-hd-pvr-2-gaming-edition.jpg

The Hauppauge HD PVR 2

This allows recording through HDMI up to 1080p30 just like the Live Gamer HD

Remember that 1080p is only possible through HDMI since component can only do up to 1080i

EDIT: You may run into problens on PS3. IM NOT SURE but i think even game footage is encrypted with HDCP, so this might be the reason why recording won´t work on some devices!

Parakeetman

Thanks a lot for the reply guys really do appreciate it! Until I can get my own working correctly 100% and figure out how to do 1080p on it, am trying to see what other potential solutions are out there to propose and such.

I think there's some way to get one of those HDFury things to strip the HDCP from the PS3's HDMI signal but I'm not sure. Info on it is tough to find.

I will get the Live Gamer HD later this month for 360/WiiU and PC footage. Live Gamer HD allows you to record the very PC its built into without slowing it down. Thats pretty awesome. But i do know the Live Gamer HD does not support HDCP yet. Weird enough, other Avermedia devices DO support HDCP like the Game Capture HD. But that one is component only and therefor caps at 1080i30

Parakeetman

You're probably best not recording in 1080p anyhow and sticking with the consoles outputting at 720p.

Unfortunately its a need of another and not exactly myself. So one of the requirements was the ability to record in 1080p off of consoles.

Truthfully am not a tech guy, so as long as I think whatever I record looks nice am happy with it. Its why all this info from everyone here who does know what they are doing is much appreciated once again. :)

Unfortunately its a need of another and not exactly myself. So one of the requirements was the ability to record in 1080p off of consoles.

That's kind of odd. Very few games run at 1080 so if you're forcing them to be upscaled you're going to end up with detrimental image quality compared to them running at 720p.

Parakeetman

That's kind of odd. Very few games run at 1080 so if you're forcing them to be upscaled you're going to end up with detrimental image quality compared to them running at 720p.

Yeah like I had mentioned not a requirement of my own, so am just following the request. That and isnt going to help the situation trying to change ones mind about it, so just need info in regards to what was asked. :)

You may want to look at this thread about the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR Video Capture Card

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400476

With a certain version of the software/drivers and a small workaround the card can record using HDMI even if it used HDCP. It only goes up to 1080i I believe. Capturing at uncompressed 1080p would probably not be possible depending on your setup.

Katori

Please try and convince them that 1080p will be detrimental, not beneficial. Capture in 720p then upscale if you have to.

Also, whoever said component can only do 1080i is lying. Looking at an Xbox outputting 1080p over component right now.

As far as capture, Blackmagic can't be beat but there's a premium that goes with it.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Some of the latest blackmagic cards can capture full 1080p60, but it's still quite pricey, and will require a monster pc and raid array to capture properly.
Stick to 720p60 for the moment, I'd say.

Parakeetman

Since this thread got necroed wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed information ASAP.

Everything is good and settled and managed to find a solution with extra hardware used + the avermedia live gamer HD card.

Kyoufu

I'm buying an Elgato Game Capture HD. Done the necessary research on these products and so far it's the best hardware/software on the market. The software currently lacks Twitch integration but they're adding that and more in the software update soon.

luffeN

Since this thread got necroed wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed information ASAP.

Everything is good and settled and managed to find a solution with extra hardware used + the avermedia live gamer HD card.

Can you detail what extra hardware you bought? I chose the Hauppauge HD PVR 2 and can record from 360/PS3/PC, although it "only" has 1080p30 as its highest setting. Dishonored in 720p30 for example.

I'm buying an Elgato Game Capture HD. Done the necessary research on these products and so far it's the best hardware/software on the market.

Are you aware of the flashback recording function? It is constantly recording when the program is running.

Kyoufu

But it will also use the HDD you will record to all the time, right? Not worried about some damage this could lead to?

Not at all. It's just a temporary file up to 60 minutes length. It won't kill your harddrive :p

The device has gotten the thumbs up from the streaming community so I'm going to go ahead with that. The only problem is the Twitch integration update isn't out yet.

luffeN

Not at all. It's just a temporary file up to 60 minutes length. It won't kill your harddrive :p

The device has gotten the thumbs up from the streaming community so I'm going to go ahead with that. The only problem is the Twitch integration update isn't out yet.

Yeah, I don't want to dissuade you from buying it :D Both the Hauppauge and Elgato are good products. So will you be able to directly stream to Twitch with the update without the need of Xsplit?

Kyoufu

Yeah, I don't want to dissuade you from buying it :D Both the Hauppauge and Elgato are good products. So will you be able to directly stream to Twitch with the update without the need of Xsplit?

Indeed. There was a preview of the update from Gamescom earlier this year. Looks solid.

I think what I really like about the device is the size though. It's no bigger than my smartphone. USB powered also helps. I hate AC adapters!

"An HDMI connection is not possible from the PS3 due to HDCP (Sony protected) video out. "

awwwwwwwww

You can bypass HDCP if you use hdfury or whatever it's called. I'm not sure how much that stuff is though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Personally, I'd never settle on USB 2.0 devices (Elgato, Happauge PVR, etc.) for this stuff. AFAIK, it's impossible for them to capture HD footage without compressing the video before it's even sent to your PC, as USB 2.0 just doesn't have the bandwidth needed to handle raw 720p60 video and up. Makes for a point of quality loss and if I'm not mistaken causes some software complications when trying to use these devices as an input for various kinds of streaming software.

luffeN

Personally, I'd never settle on USB 2.0 devices (Elgato, Happauge PVR, etc.) for this stuff. AFAIK, it's impossible for them to capture HD footage without compressing the video before it's even sent to your PC, as USB 2.0 just doesn't have the bandwidth needed to handle raw 720p60 video and up. Makes for a point of quality loss and if I'm not mistaken causes some software complications when trying to use these devices as an input for various kinds of streaming software.
What would you recommend then?

mik83kuu

Banned

Well tons of people care about these devises so they can upload videos to YouTube and do livestreams on Twitch.tv and similar sites and I would say the quality of these products already extremely well showcased on those sites speaks for itself. Also having the video compressed saves HDD space which some people might have issues with.

What would you recommend then?

I'm not him, but I've heard tons of good things about the BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI-E card. They also do a USB 3.0 version but apparently it can be very picky on what systems it works with instead of just working with w/e has USB 3.0.

onQ123

Hey there GAF. Had a question for all you folks who do recording of console game footage. Am curious to hear what kind of hardware setups do you guys use with your PC to record console game footage in 1080p.

I recently picked up a AverMedia Live Gamer HD card but found out that currently without doing some sort of workaround there is no way to record footage from consoles in 1080p. Though seems like some folks managed to get it working but need to do more searching on that.

If anyone has any sort of right out of the box suggestion or solutions any sort of information would be appreciated :)

Needed to try and capture some PS3 footage.

Semi work related question (other half for own amusement to record other game footage) and hope this is in the right section of the forums since its gaming related.

PS3 copy protection isn't going to let you record 1080P through HDMI so use some component cables if you want to record at 1080P.

or Kick it old school like me to get your 1080P gameplay LOL.

Samsung S27B550V 27" 1080P 2ms LED Monitor with PS3 Gameplay sample

Elginer

Have used the Elgato which I own and recently picked up a Roxio Game Cap Pro HD. Both have their pros and cons. The Elgato nativly outputs MP4 video while the Roxio Pro HD uses MT2S only. It's a great format which takes up little space but has audio codec issues in Sony Vegas (for editing, works fine in VideoWave, iMovie, WMM).

Personally, I've been using the Roxio more often as of late due to not having to switch out the the device when I want to watch Netflix or video on my Xbox. As long as the capturing software isn't on, it won't give me an HDCP error. The Elgato does not let me view any DVD's or video while connected.

I do enjoy the Elgato's options for video format support/quality controls in software but the constant recording in the background is tough on the CPU while streaming. The Roxio has its issues using the native Twitch support in the software but has gotten better with the last SP1.1. update letting you play with your bandwidth. The good news for the Roxio as well is that it will soon be supported in Xsplit as a camera allowing you to use Xsplit and have more control over streaming.

Not sure how Elgato's new Twitch and VO commentary updates will be but looking forward to trying it out. Still wish that Elgato would work with Xsplit to allow support as a camera device in Xsplit as Roxio is doing. In the long run, for more control over video formats and quality options the Elgato is the best choice. For streaming and pretty much just as good QUALITY wise at least to my eyes video the Roxio is great and also cheaper. The addition of Xsplit support coming in the next few weeks may push me over to making it my default device. Hope that's helped.

Bgamer90

Banned
I have an Hauppauge HD PVR (first model) that I use to do game reviews and it has been working pretty well.

I recently had a few issues with it though everything seems to be fine now.

I am thinking about getting the Elgato sometime next year since it would be easier to use it for recording. It's smaller, doesn't require its own power, and has HDMI; therefore I wouldn't have to switch my cables every time I want to record.

Xbox 720p + 480 webcam shot (As a test only). For future Wii U usage.

techtest_record_dual_ccs5c.jpg

Heres a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbhihU4ZZ8

I use 2 capture cards and Xsplit.

I use the Capture HD from Avermedia to display the stream and use the Live Gamer HDs encoder chip through Xsplit to record both streams through the hardware encoder chip of the Live Gamer HD. I can also record my PC in 1080p with no performance loss thanks to that chip.

I hope Xsplit allows using the Live Gamer HD to display AND record at the same time with a future update, So i could do 1080p on Xsplit. Or i could invest in the Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD wich does 1080p without encoder chip to bypass that issue. But for now im not ready to spent another 130 bucks on yet another capture card...

Elginer

Xbox 720p + 480 webcam shot (As a test only). For future Wii U usage.

techtest_record_dual_ccs5c.jpg

Heres a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fbhihU4ZZ8

I use 2 capture cards and Xsplit.

I use the Capture HD from Avermedia to display the stream and use the Live Gamer HDs encoder chip through Xsplit to record both streams through the hardware encoder chip of the Live Gamer HD. I can also record my PC in 1080p with no performance loss thanks to that chip.

I hope Xsplit allows using the Live Gamer HD to display AND record at the same time with a future update, So i could do 1080p on Xsplit. Or i could invest in the Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD wich does 1080p without encoder chip to bypass that issue. But for now im not ready to spent another 130 bucks on yet another capture card...

That's one hell of a setup. I am no where near that hardcore lol.

I'm buying an Elgato Game Capture HD. Done the necessary research on these products and so far it's the best hardware/software on the market. The software currently lacks Twitch integration but they're adding that and more in the software update soon.
MH3U? *-*

Kyoufu

MH3U? *-*

Of course. Will be streaming a lot.

For those of you asking about HDCP strippers with PS3, you can get HD Fury 3 but is it really worth the $180? Why not just use 720p considering games run at that resolution anyway?

The only way I am aware of to record digital, high quality 1080p60 from PS3 is using an HDCP stripper and a Monster XX capture card. If you find a less expensive solution, please let me know.

HD Fury 3 will work with any capture device but it's $180. Not sure if want.

Durante

HD Fury 3 will work with any capture device but it's $180. Not sure if want.
HD Fury 3 is not really a HDCP stripper. AFAIK, it gives you an analog signal. My $50 chinese box is HDMI with HDCP in, HDMI without HDCP out.

The expensive part is the Monster XX ($1000+), but I'm not aware of any other hardware capable of 1080p60 capture.

Im using the avermedia card with the best driver lol and a 4 drive raid 0 setup. To record im using the AmarecTV app because its so processor light and the cineform codec when i'm not capturing straight uncompressed video.

My $50 chinese box is HDMI with HDCP in, HDMI without HDCP out.

Whats the name of the box?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
USB devices need to compress the footage. Internals can record raw footage, but need a RAID to do that for HD content.

Ah okay.

So, what are the advantages/disadvantages if I wanted to just do streaming only, and not do any actual recording directly to my PC?

Top Bottom