• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does eShop handle DLC for physical Switch games across regions?

Now that Switch is region free, I've ended up getting games from various regions. But how does it handle DLC for games?

I have a US account and if I use a PAL copy of BOTW, can I buy the expansion pass on the US eShop? Is it like PlayStation where DLC has to match the region of the physical game?

Or is it like MS where it doesnt matter what region the game is from, your eShop will let you download the DLC since the games are all treated the same across regions?

Or something different altogether?

Now that Switch is region free, I've ended up getting games from various regions. But how does it handle DLC for games?

I have a US account and if I use a PAL copy of BOTW, can I buy the expansion pass on the US eShop? Is it like PlayStation where DLC has to match the region of the physical game?

Or is it like MS where it doesnt matter what region the game is from, your eShop will let you download the DLC since the games are all treated the same across regions?

I'd assume they are all treated the same since the JP physical Setsuna plays in English on my Us account.

cube001

I have a physical EU BOTW and got the DLC from the US store of another account and it was recognized. In addition to that if I access any other region store it tells me that I have already purchased the DLC.

also

Banned
I'm going to assume that some DLC will be treated as the same across all regions while some won't. Don't expect compatibility if there are regional differences, content or publisher-wise.
I'd assume they are all treated the same since the JP physical Setsuna plays in English on my Us account.
That doesn't mean anything. Setsuna plays in English because it has English and your system's language is set to English.

I have a physical EU BOTW and got the DLC from the US store of another account and it was recognized. In addition to that if I access any other region store it tells me that I have already purchased the DLC.

Thanks for this.

I'm going to assume that some DLC will be treated as the same across all regions while some won't. Don't expect compatibility if there are regional differences, content or publisher-wise.

That doesn't mean anything. Setsuna plays in English because it has English and your system's language is set to English.

Yea which is why I was wondering if there's a signle system in place. ARMS is multi language across the world. Was wondering if I should get a UK copy to use on my Switch with a US account. If I did I was confused about the DLC if there will be paid DLC.

This. It seems first-party content will show up as purchased in each store, and third parties can choose whether they want a piece of software to be a one-time purchase or not.

also

Banned
Yea which is why I was wondering if there's a signle system in place. ARMS is multi language across the world. Was wondering if I should get a UK copy to use on my Switch with a US account. If I did I was confused about the DLC if there will be paid DLC.
I think something like Arms should be fine since it has a simultaneous worldwide release and cross region MP. I'm almost certain all the regions will get the same treatment so there should be no issues.
But if worst comes to pass, you can always create a new account. Using [your email]+[whatever]@ you can even use the same email account for different accounts.

fernoca

Thanks for this.

ARMS DLC looks too be like Splatoon and other games, were is part of an update/patch, rather than a separate purchase.

Atheerios

The actual answer is: sometimes.

If the title ID is the same across every region, then yes.
If it's different, then no.

So far every Nintendo-published game has the same title ID across regions.

I think something like Arms should be fine since it has a simultaneous worldwide release and cross region MP. I'm almost certain all the regions will get the same treatment so there should be no issues.
But if worst comes to pass, you can always create a new account. Using [your email]+[whatever]@ you can even use the same email account for different accounts.

ARMS DLC looks too be like Splatoon and other games, were is part of an update/patch, rather than a separate purchase.

The actual answer is: sometimes.

If the title ID is the same across every region, then yes.
If it's different, then no.

So far every Nintendo-published game has the same title ID across regions.

Thanks.

Top Bottom