• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Xbox One X won't support VR

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Good. I'd prefer if VR wasn't taking developers away from games I enjoy.

VR is not ready yet. Leave it in the niche oven for another 5-10 years.

Darknight

Wow isn't this anti-consumer of MS? First no Freesync, now this? Where are the pitch fork, boys?

In light of recent events...lol

Is this only for the launch or it won't support it at all?
If it's the former I think it's a bad decision, at least they should leave the option open.

Crayon

Right from the start it was puzzling at best that they would try to support vr for Scorpio alone.

Remember no exclusives except vr?

cakefoo

Microsoft isn't ready for VR, and they'll throw VR under the bus until they can recover.

They would be launching a headset into a market of just 2-400K XBO X owners, growing at a rate of 1-2M annually. PSVR's 1.6% attach rate looks like 32K when your installed base is only 2M.

Josman

Well to be fair, they would have to start with a tiny, tiny audience assuming the XB1 doesn't support it because of hardware restrictions

Microsoft can barely support the Xbox One with standard first party content. The absolute last thing they need to do is split their efforts.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Fuck off WSJ

Stop spreading FUD. MS already said no VR at E3 but its coming.

sensi97

My bad...thought it said no HDMI 2.1 or whatever? Sounds good.

Now we just need to get VR on the system. No reason not to have it with those specs.
It says HDMI 2.0b on the xbox site.

edit:

HDMI 2.0b (out), 2160p @ 60Hz, AMD FreeSync (quoting the specs on the site)

III-V

VR is plenty ready and MS is poised to make it a pillar of their gaming ecosystem.

By next E3 they will have announced.

Arkam

Good. I'd prefer if VR wasn't taking developers away from games I enjoy.

VR is not ready yet. Leave it in the niche oven for another 5-10 years.

It doesnt get out of that oven if no one is spending money on it now. Need a few sacrificial lambs to get to the promised land my friend. Sad to see that MS is not helping us get there.

iMax

It says HDMI 2.0b on the xbox site.

edit:

HDMI 2.0b (out), 2160p @ 60Hz, AMD FreeSync (quoting the specs on the site)

HDMI 2.1 hasn't been ratified yet which is why it isn't listed. Should have a firmware update like the original PS4 consoles did to support HDR.

Good decision by Microsoft. Instead of spending money and effort on VR research etc, they are busy creating quality exclusives for their console.

aaaaa0

I think that before VR goes mainstream, 5 things need to be worked out (and I've got both an Oculus Rift CV1 and a Vive setup and I've spent hundreds of hours in VR):

1. The headset and controllers need to use inside-out tracking. The mainstream gamer isn't willing to do any setup, mounting sensors, etc.

2. The headset needs to be wireless. The mainstream gamer isn't going to deal with a wire hanging out the back.

3. The optics need to be better. Headsets need automatic IPD adjustment, automatic focus adjustment, bigger focus sweetspots, no more Fresnel ringing artifacts, etc.

4. The sweating and fogging in your headset problem needs to be fixed. Whether that is with some sort of active face cooling or what, I don't know.

5. The resolution of the panels needs to at least double. 2k x 2k for a start. The fill factor needs to improve too (screendoor effect).

I think MS is waiting until they can fix all 5 of these things before they commit to VR on a console.

paulogy

This seems like a translation issue. Won't support VR... at launch.

They have said many times it's powerful enough to support VR down the line if they want.

scitek

I think that before VR goes mainstream, 5 things need to be worked out (and I've got both an Oculus Rift CV1 and a Vive setup and I've spent hundreds of hours in VR):

1. The headset and controllers need to use inside-out tracking. The mainstream gamer isn't willing to do any setup, mounting sensors, etc.

Not saying any of your points are really wrong, but the Wii had the sensor bar, and people who aren't even gamers had no problem with that.

amdb00mer

WSJ is not who we should go to for gaming news. Xbox One X will do VR when the time is right for them and when wireless VR/AR headsets are affordable.

Shiggy

Whom do I trust? Random NeoGAF users in this thread insisting it's coming, or a WSJ article with direct quotes from Microsoft? Tough choice.

It's interesting to see Sony doubling down on VR while MS considers it an after thought, if at all. I can't tell which approach is the smarter one right now, considering how offended people were that Sony dared to show any VR games at their conference.

Shin

Banned
Good on MS. Sony wasted what i feel is a lot of investment money

I think they would have been better off waiting till PS5 along with PSVR2 (assuming it will happen).
As for MS I thought it went something along the lines of supporting all VR with Scorpio, now suddenly no VR?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
In the 360 days alone, MS sold 24 million Kinect units. I wouldn't call that a debacle. But if your point was you don't like VR, you could just say that.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not particularly interested in VR, but I'm not gonna try to prevent anyone else from enjoying it.

Dlacy13g

I'm pretty sure I read Phil Spencer quoted saying they won't be supporting and featuring VR on Xbox One X because they want the technology to evolve to be Wireless. And that for now the experience was best on PC and that is where they're going to focus their efforts for Windows VR.

aaaaa0

Not saying any of your points are really wrong, but the Wii had the sensor bar, and people who aren't even gamers had no problem with that.

The Wii sensor bar was small, light, and sat next to your TV.

You need 2 Vive lighthouse sensors, and they need to be mounted up high at opposite sides of the room if you want to avoid occlusion problems.

The Oculus sensors are even worse, since you really need 3 for good room scale, and they each need a USB cable back to the host PC. They were a pain in the ass to set up here.

I've used a HoloLens fairly extensively as well, and the freedom it gives you to just walk anywhere is much better than either the Vive or the Rift.

If inside-out really can be made to work, it is the best solution.

Boke1879

This can't be right.

Major Nelson said on youtube yesterday when Geoff asked him about it.

He said "yea but we're not ready to talk about that right now."

This can't be right.

Major Nelson said on youtube yesterday when Geoff asked him about it.

He said "yea but we're not ready to talk about that right now."
I haven't read the article (I don't have a WSJ sub) but we knew they weren't going to talk VR at E3; we know they're talking up Windows VR; and we know they are saying they want a wireless solution for XOX VR.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/6/15745630/xbox-vr-e3

Somehow I doubt we will see XOX VR next year either. Just a feeling.

CariusD

5. The resolution of the panels needs to at least double. 2k x 2k for a start. The fill factor needs to improve too (screendoor effect).

I think MS is waiting until they can fix all 5 of these things before they commit to VR on a console.

Cant speak for the rest, but it looks like the resolution and the screen door will be good to go for the next set, this was from the Display conference just a little while ago. Its Samsung's new VR screens http://i.imgur.com/Whb6QiV.jpg

Top Bottom