• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sure is having a rough E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, when this was greenlit those "western fans" and the fruits of their partnership with Nintendo's marketing in the west hadn't yet been a thing, they basically did not yet exist in the capacity they do so today on the 3DS. MH4U didn't hit its stride in the west until 2014-2015, this project is erring on 2013-2014 as a start date.

Were they short sighted? Probably.
Are they time-traveling wizards? No.

You don't need to be a time traveling wizard to know not localizing XX would piss people off and damage reputation with the people that actually bought your products. MH:W not being on Switch has nothing to do with my point.

Who knows because honestly MvCI needs an extra year in the oven. If you give it an extra year to update the visuals and story mode then it could be something amazing.

MvCI reminds me a lot of KOF14. Gameplay will be great but, man the presentation leaves a bad taste. Who's even playing KOF anymore?

Nah I bet Capcom has a shit contract with Marvel and they are probably stuck with very limited dev time and release date.

They also spent some budget, time and effort on the story mode. As shit as it is there's alot going on in that artwise. I love that they are shoving that shit in everyone's face in all the marketing. SEE WE HAVE A STORY MODE HAPPY!? Game looks like shit but we got it.

Thoraxes

It'll be telling which sells better in Japan, XX or World. The negativity on gaf is overblown but I'd bet money that Capcom is nervous about this decision.
I would assume XX, but that's because it's also available on 3DS already.

Unless you mean only the Switch version, in which case I think they'll end up both relatively low, and relatively close, with the edge going to World. One thing is for sure though, World is not for their primary sales audience, and they're going to have a really difficult time selling it to that sub-5M PS4 install base in Japan without a core component of what really makes the series work there (and usually 4/5ths of their overall game sales (base sales + G sales) comes from Japan). Announcing it at E3 and not in Japan first says all it needs to say about who they're targeting.

Gren

In no world in mvc2 a beautiful game
In the wake of Infinite we're seeing way too many posts trying to rewrite history & spin MvC2 as some sort graphical hallmark.

It was one of their most cynical efforts at the time & it was a happy accident that the community discovered it had as much depth as it did.

Vena

You don't need to be a time traveling wizard to know not localizing XX would piss people off and damage reputation with the people that actually bought your products. MH:W not being on Switch has nothing to do with my point.

Look, I am not saying Capcom aren't being complete idiots in poisoning their own messaging in an attempt to avoid convoluting their own messaging between two rather disparate titles (MHXX is a very divergent evolution from MHW which seems to be far more regressive-back-to-roots/QoL focused) but, well, that's what they are doing and have judged as the best way forward. That sequence of tweets in response to the Gamespot article tells you all you need to know about their messaging focus and PR right now.

Also, can you imagine the clusterfuck of messaging when MHW launches with all of the handful of HD monsters its going to have vs. MHXX which not only has a god-damn jet-Dragon, it's likely going to have more than 2x the big hunt monsters.

cordy

Banned
Nah I bet Capcom has a shit contract with Marvel and they are probably stuck with very limited dev time and release date.

They also spent some budget, time and effort on the story mode. As shit as it is there's alot going on in that artwise.

Saying it now: MvCI will last maybe 1-2 years tops and then that'll be it. People will go back to UMvC3 and MvC2. It'll be the Smash Bros Brawl of Marvel.

Depends who it is. The Marvel characters mostly look great but on the other side of the coin you've got some horrible looking characters like Chun, Chris and Ryu.

I think people have been unfair to Monster Hunter World, but I also think because the combination of an underwhelming trailer + the rumours about a westernized/movie tie-in MH game made people worried.

But in the end, the game is really exciting.

Monster Hunter World is the best new announcement of the whole E3. The negativity is coming from fanboys and people who get insecure at the slightest change to their favorite franchise.

I couldn't care less for an uprezzed 3DS-to-Switch-port when I can have a fully fledged new Monster Hunter game build from the ground for current-gen-consoles and PC.

That said, Monster Hunter XX will probably come to the west anyways. It's the usual "we currently have no plans"-drama and teasing ...

Are people not reading my post.
I even say MHW looks fine (but there is some backlash) and that I'm sad to see MVC getting shit on so hard (even though I want it to be better).

You make it sound like I went "Capcom E3 sucked because no Dino Crisis was there"

Its clear you wanted to paint an overall negative light, and while some of it is deserved, the announcement of MHW easily outweighs it for many as expressed by the replies.

Of course they are nervous. It's a gamble that could work out fantastically, or seriously hurt them financially if it doesn't sell well. It's honestly surprising that they aren't releasing the Switch game in the West since that seems like a fairly safe bet to make at least some profit. Would help to offset losses if World struggles, or bring in more money if it succeeds.

It's doubly confusing since most of the localization work for MHXX has already been done!

I would assume XX, but that's because it's also available on 3DS already.

Unless you mean only the Switch version, in which case I think they'll end up both relatively low, and relatively close, with the edge going to World. One thing is for sure though, World is not for their primary sales audience, and they're going to have a really difficult time selling it to that sub-5M PS4 install base in Japan without a core component of what really makes the series work there (and usually 4/5ths of their overall game sales (base sales + G sales) comes from Japan). Announcing it at E3 and not in Japan first says all it needs to say about who they're targeting.

I mean the Switch version of XX compared to World in Japan. Barring a breakout success in the west, MonHun's primary audience is still going to be Japan.

Jawmuncher

Its clear you wanted to paint an overall negative light, and while some of it is deserved, the announcement of MHW easily outweighs it for many as expressed by the replies.

I think to many people got hung up on MHW being in the banner and not my words. I included it since it was one of their E3 titles. I wasn't trying to do some agenda on the game.

The comments on MVCI and MHXX in this thread definitely show that negatives I was taking about. If I was going for a negative light I wouldnt end my post in sympathy

Lulubop

Saying it now: MvCI will last maybe 1-2 years tops and then that'll be it. People will go back to UMvC3 and MvC2. It'll be the Smash Bros Brawl of Marvel.

Depends who it is. The Marvel characters mostly look great but on the other side of the coin you've got some horrible looking characters like Chun, Chris and Ryu.

Just like they went back to 2 after the 3. Lol no one is going back to mvc2.

NotLiquid

Are people not reading my post.
I even say MHW looks fine (but there is some backlash) and that I'm sad to see MVC getting shit on so hard (even though I want it to be better).

You make it sound like I went "Capcom E3 sucked because no Dino Crisis was there"

The cognitive dissonance coming from people who are convinced people being upset with Capcom have to do with some misinformed "MHW is being westernized" information or "Nintendo fanboys" is staggering.

Capcom haven't earned any benefit of doubt from people considering their unreliable as fuck streak in localizing games and inability to please their fanbases beyond the bare minimum. Yes, MHW looks like it's going to be good, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they're completely tone-deaf as a company.

UberLevi

Yeah but they cant be worse than the previous games. MVC3 looks better than MvCi.

You people seems to have an obsession on different or unnecessary changes just because. Kind of how people can be obssesed with new IP although theres 100 of similar games but just NEED a new ip of walking zombie simulator 65

I dunno, it isn't out yet and I prefer to eat food before deciding it tastes like shit instead of just looking at it and turning up my nose to it.

Maybe I'm wrong and I should just be adding more negativity to the discussion. Maybe it's fucked up that I'm excited about video games.

Kashiwaba

People said the same thing about SFV and yet it's still going strong.

Kuraudo

Banned
All they need to do is show REmake 2 made in the style of original REmake at TGS/PSX and they are the kings of the world again.

They're likely to announce some RE title at TGS for 2018, as they lean towards releasing a new RE each year. Whether it's REmake 2 or some Umbrella Corps-tier spinoff is to be seen, though.

BadWolf

You do realize you are talking about a company that shifted this series from PS platforms to Nintendo's without giving a single fuck previously, right?

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP also didn't get localized.

Aside from Monster Hunter World being a really impressive core Monster Hunter game, yeah they're aren't doing. Jesus what happened to their fighting games?

Look, I am not saying Capcom aren't being complete idiots in poisoning their own messaging in an attempt to avoid convoluting their own messaging between two rather disparate titles (MHXX is a very divergent evolution from MHW which seems to be far more regressive-back-to-roots/QoL focused) but, well, that's what they are doing and have judged as the best way forward. That sequence of tweets in response to the Gamespot article tells you all you need to know about their messaging focus and PR right now.

I dunno, you kind of are. And that's part of why the thread is about Capcom having a shit E3.

Also, can you imagine the clusterfuck of messaging when MHW launches with all of the handful of HD monsters its going to have vs. MHXX which not only has a god-damn jet-Dragon, it's likely going to have more than 2x the big hunt monsters.

Let's be honest here, people excited for MH:World are because it has jice graphics amd some QOL changes. MH:XX is a decidely different product and it will be obvious the dofference between the 2 titles to anyone with eyes.

I'm not so stupid that I actually believe that this is about Capcom's hands being tied. They legit just do not care about their fans that supported their last few games in the West. That is literally all this is. I could take all of an hour to formulate a delivery of products for this franchise better than what Capcom has done.

You do realize you are talking about a company that shifted this series from PS platforms to Nintendo's without giving a single fuck previously, right?

MHP3 not getting localized sucked but the PSP was dead in the West for years before that game launched and it wasnt an expansion of a game we already got. I feel genuinely bad for all the people that supported them on the PSP. You wanna turn this into a console warriors thing but I dont give a shit about MH:World not being on Nintendo systems. It is what it is as far as that is concerned. But not localizing the expansion to Generations and just trying to pretend all your fans would forget is fucking bullshit.

If I knew Gen Ult would happen I would have not invested hundreds of hours into vanilla. If you don't grasp why that is a huge piss off we aint got shit to talk about.

Ridley327

TBH, I do see a warmer reception to World now that we've had more details, but I don't think it's a stretch to think that there are some genuine concerns that have yet to be assuaged, particularly when it concerns the amount of content the core game has and how they plan on expanding the game from beyond what it launches with. Given, err, "recent history" with Capcom on those topics, they certainly don't deserve the benefit of the doubt, and I don't find that to be at all a controversial stance to take.

NotLiquid

You think people were okay with MHP3 not being localized too?

Not to mention, MonHun has become a much bigger game in the west now than it was back then. Wasn't Generations the best selling MonHun in the west?

MHXX controversy is different alltogether from MHW. I dont mind MHW. hell i may even buy it. But why not give us MHXX when the localization is almost finished already?

Kashiwaba

You think people creaming themselves of DBFZ have played one second of Guilty Gear? P.s. good luck playing an ArcSys fighter for the first time newbs.
This lol, I'm sure many people will drop DBZ after one day, even P4Arena which is Arcsys most casual friendly fighting game makes games like SF and tekken seem like a joke when it comes to learning curve.

cordy

Banned
People said the same thing about SFV and yet it's still going strong.

People are more disappointed with SFV than anything. SFV is like your friend who keeps fucking up but you stay friends with him. He can't get shit right but he's got a good soul.
Just like they went back to 2 after the 3. Lol no one is going back to mvc2.

I didn't say people went back to 2, people still bring it up all the time though as what "is Marvel", even though people didn't return it's still a major part of the series.

Neonep

They did it to themselves with MVC:I. MHW has been all positive from what I've seen and I think MHXX will get localized at some point soon so ya'll shouldn't be worried about that.

Marvel looked like crap from the get go.
KoF 14 levels of hidiousness.

Played 5 minutes of the story demo and off it went into the bin.

Vena

I dunno, you kind of are. And that's part of why the thread is about Capcom having a shit E3.

My point is this was decided years ago. This is just chicken's coming home to roost.

Let's be honest here, people excited for MH:World are because it has jice graphics amd some QOL changes. MH:XX is a decidely different product and it will be obvious the dofference between the 2 titles to anyone with eyes.

I'm not so stupid that I actually believe that this is about Capcom's hands being tied. They legit just do not care about their fans that supported their last few games in the West. That is literally all this is. I could take all of an hour to formulate a delivery of products for this franchise better than what Capcom has done.

I mean, I am kind of saying this in words that are being a bit kinder. When this all started, said audience just didn't exist.

But I do think MHXX's much larger offering would/could potentially cast a negative light on MHW (or at least this is what Capcom may be concerned with), HD graphics dick-waggling aside.

Imagine your core community tearing through MHW's content, finding only a select handful of monsters to fight, and then all transitioning back to/straight to MHXX. What if you had long-term DLC plans? Freemium plans? Or other monetization plans? MHXX is a shot in the kneecaps as it, potentially, offers a huge content pool for less money and with no long-term planned monetization.

Yes, MHXX leans into a more action-packed crazy form with its additions but its still a MH game. It even has an entire mode that is now going to be missing from MHW, the Prowlers. And that shit was lit.

Lulubop

People are more disappointed with SFV than anything. SFV is like your friend who keeps fucking up but you stay friends with him. He can't get shit right but he's got a good soul.

I didn't say people went back to 2, people still bring it up all the time though as what "is Marvel", even though people didn't return it's still a major part of the series.

People were ridiculously down on MVC3 even after it was out, but it seems we like to remember things wrong. If the gameplay is solid people will play it, it seems solid enough and doesn't suffer from some of the scubbiest mechanics in a fighting game.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
If CAPCOM used the MvC3 art style for Infinite, it would look a lot better
DbnxBdl.jpg
zJ5yhxj.jpg

BadWolf

You think people were okay with MHP3 not being localized too?

Not to mention, MonHun has become a much bigger game in the west now than it was back then. Wasn't Generations the best selling MonHun in the west?

Of course they weren't, the point is that it's nothing new for Capcom so there's no point in being surprised or pissed off.

You think people most creaming themselves over DBFZ have played one second of Guilty Gear? P.s. good luck playing an ArcSys fighter for the first time newbs.

Casuals are gonna drop DragonBall extremely fast. The control scheme looks as complex as Guilty Gear. They may comeback for the 3rd Revision when they get to some of the new characters maybe.

Kashiwaba

SFV is great, but i have to admit it got it shares of problems like any other SF before it but somehow people got a short term memory, when SF4 was released many people were complaining and many people wanted to go back to SF3.

cordy

Banned
People were ridiculously down on MVC3 even after it was out, but it seems we like to remember things wrong. If the gameplay is solid people will play it, it seems solid enough and doesn't suffer from some of the scubbiest mechanics in a fighting game.

Dawg the reactions from MvC3 pre-release to this game pre-release aren't comparable. If people are straight up using MvC3 as the bar that MvCI should have at least had what does that tell you? Nobody said people weren't upset about MvC3 but it's definitely not even close to the levels of MvCI have been getting. If you think so then shit, I guess "we" really like to remember things wrong lol.

SFV is great, but i have to admit it got it shares of problems like any other SF before it but somehow people got a short term memory, when SF4 was released many people were complaining and many people wanted to go back to SF3.

SF4 was officially the start of Capcom's downfall I'd say. I remember then there was a slight lack of content but people didn't really comment on it much. It only became worse when Marvel 3 dropped.

I was hoping for them to take the covers off of RE2make, so I'm disappointed. That was all I wanted. Just a short gameplay snippet so we could see which direction they've gone in with the game (REmake/ RE4/RE7).

Lulubop

Dawg the reactions from MvC3 pre-release to this game pre-release aren't comparable. If people are straight up using MvC3 as the bar that MvCI should have at least had what does that tell you? Nobody said people weren't upset about MvC3 but it's definitely not even close to the levels of MvCI have been getting. If you think so then shit, I guess "we" really like to remember things wrong lol.

No one who's actually gotten their hands on the vs demo seems down on it, all I see is a lot of shit about it's graphics which are awful but it won't matter if it plays well. Oh wait I guess those are just shills.

Sillverrr

I'll be really disappointed if Capcom doesn't localise the Switch version of XX. They would surely benefit from increased mind share by having the series available nearly everywhere. Having said that, World looks great in its own right. Maybe they don't want to confuse people by having multiple SKUs release withinin a short window. Perhaps it's cost vs sales. I dunno. Obviously XX is the last roll of the dice for the handheld iteration of MH - which is why it's strange that there's no version of World for Switch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Marvel looks crap true
but regarding MHW I think you are confusing negative reactions with salty Ninty fans.
A large majority of people are hyped for it, although it does suck about MHXX not being localized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom