• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

Apparently they felt otherwise.

Which is stupid.

As someone said the release on WiiU first would have generated good free advertisement for the ports. Now it is generating a bad buzz, it won't sell as well as it would have done on WiiU and other won't care because GTAV, PS4 and XBOX3 and tons of other games that usually launch near september.

Linkhero1

Considering that there will be other Wii U titles I'm going to want and play at the time this comes out I'm going to have to pass until Black Friday when it hits the bargain bins.

I feel bad for the devs but tough shit.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I feel bad for the devs but IMO, I think it will do better on the platforms rather than staying exclusive on Wii U.

Wii U feels like the Wii without the party/casual games when it comes to 3rd party support IMO. I'm guessing people either don't know what the Wii U is, their impression that it's just an expansion of the Wii, or the Wii U as a less-than-efficient alternative to PS3/360, which people will rather purchase because of the current library.

EDarkness

I loved Origins so much that I was going to buy a Wii U for this game. To say I am disappointed it got pushed to September is understating it.

In spite of that, I really don't understand the boycott talk. You want to play this game. It is delayed. So given to option of playing it later or never playing it, you are going to pick the second option?!

The problem is there's only so much money to go around. By September there will be a lot of games out for all systems. That's generally a time when a bunch of games are released. It's February and there's jack shit coming out on the Wii U. The perfect time to release it. They're all alone, gamers are starved for games and have extra cash to pick it up. By September, this won't be the case. So unless there's actually nothing to buy in September (which isn't the case since GTA V is coming out that month), I'll have to wait to pick it up. Based on how I buy games, Rayman will end up either not being purchased at all or on the back burner to be picked up at some later time. Probably when it collapses in price. And what good would that do them?

I feel sorry for the devs, but their bosses created this situation.

Are there any gold pantsed Ubisoft devs on the Miiverse? I think the zombi u team has one. Surely Ubisoft must be seeing the backlash of the announcement on miiverse......

mclem

You're assuming that the little they'll make from the other ports will offsert 7 more months of development, advertising for multiple systems and the cost of porting

I think it will if it's a skeleton porting crew, which I think is viable - let's be honest, most of the tech is stil intact - but it won't if they have to retain a significant porting crew.

But then, seven months is kinda weird. I've worked on development projects that have run - from start to finish - in less time. It's a bit of a long time, frankly, for a skeleton port crew, particularly when you'd have to imagine that much of the infrastructure is already in place. I ported PS2 titles to the Xbox *without* an existing base to work from (other than our inhouse engine), and it took a couple of months - and it would have been less if I wasn't the only dev on the project in question.

There's something here not adding up.

Do you know what delusional means?

There's no possible way you actually think that word was the best choice for that sentence. It just doesn't make any sense.

Do you have a point? I used the word correctly in that context.

But by all means, continue at add nothing to the conversation.

Servbot24

Banned
The problem is there's only so much money to go around. By September there will be a lot of games out for all systems. That's generally a time when a bunch of games are released. It's February and there's jack shit coming out on the Wii U. The perfect time to release it. They're all alone, gamers are starved for games and have extra cash to pick it up. By September, this won't be the case. So unless there's actually nothing to buy in September (which isn't the case since GTA V is coming out that month), I'll have to wait to pick it up. Based on how I buy games, Rayman will end up either not being purchased at all or on the back burner to be picked up at some later time. Probably when it collapses in price. And what good would that do them?

If you're that concerned about supporting them, just put aside the money you were about to spend in February, buy the game Day 1 in September, and wait to play it until you're ready.

I feel bad for the devs but IMO, I think it will do better on the platforms rather than staying exclusive on Wii U.

Wii U feels like the Wii without the party/casual games when it comes to 3rd party support IMO. I'm guessing people either don't know what the Wii U is, their impression that it's just an expansion of the Wii, or the Wii U as a less-than-efficient alternative to PS3/360, which people will rather purchase because of the current library.

The problem is not the port. everyone can see why they do it and why it is not a bad idea.

Tha\e problem is delaying on WiiU because of the port.

Linkhero1

I think it will if it's a skeleton porting crew, which I think is viable - let's be honest, most of the tech is stil intact - but it won't if they have to retain a significant porting crew.

But then, seven months is kinda weird. I've worked on development projects that have run - from start to finish - in less time. It's a bit of a long time, frankly, for a skeleton port crew, particularly when you'd have to imagine that much of the infrastructure is already in place. I ported PS2 titles to the Xbox *without* an existing base to work from (other than our inhouse engine), and it took a couple of months - and it would have been less if I wasn't the only dev on the project in question.

There's something here not adding up.
They probably have to remake or remove the Murphy levels so the games compatible. I'm sure it's more than just a simple port job.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Do have to wonder (however baseless it may be) whether any of this was influenced by the incoming Sony/PS4 reveal. Can imagine a Wii U game releasing in that time frame might be completely steamrolled in news/exposure.

Eusis

Come to think of it, I wonder how necessary a delay that long is? Do they have to wait that long to get it ported + go through QA on that engine? Maybe I'm just being naive but I think this would be easier to deal with if they went "Hey this is a May release now" as we're still in a slow period for Wii U and even slower for other consoles.

... Oh shit, what if it's because they saw games like Bioshock Infinite coming out and decided to just delay the whole thing rather than merely make later ports? Then again looking at the dates that got delayed by a month, so it'd be Dead Space 3 and MGR. Unless EOIV's just that intimidating.

AniHawk

it's cool more people will get a shot at this game, but ubisoft management sucks. they should have made this multiplatform from day one.

mclem

They probably have to remake or remove the Murphy levels so the games compatible. I'm sure it's more than just a simple port job.

I *think* I saw something that implied that Murfy was still a Wii U exclusive, which if it's the case there's not really much difficulty in just axing them.

Mooreberg

Weird situation. Sucks to have been under the gun for a crunch period that didn't need to happen. I guess Ubisoft figures it will sell more copies this way, but I didn't think the ceiling was very high to begin with. Did Origins sell particularly well on any platform before the price drops?

Considering that there will be other Wii U titles I'm going to want and play at the time this comes out I'm going to have to pass until Black Friday when it hits the bargain bins.

I feel bad for the devs but tough shit.

Yeah pretty much my thinking as well. If it had released this month I wouldn't have minded paying full price because there isn't really anything else out right now, but by then my gaming time will be absolutely booked. I doubt I'll get it all now.

Too bad Ubi.

FSLink

Banned
Come to think of it, I wonder how necessary a delay that long is? Do they have to wait that long to get it ported + go through QA on that engine? Maybe I'm just being naive but I think this would be easier to deal with if they went "Hey this is a May release now" as we're still in a slow period for Wii U and even slower for other consoles.

... Oh shit, what if it's because they saw games like Bioshock Infinite coming out and decided to just delay the whole thing rather than merely make later ports? Then again looking at the dates that got delayed by a month, so it'd be Dead Space 3 and MGR. Unless EOIV's just that intimidating.

So they put it up against GTAV instead? I feel like the situation is that the higher ups felt that more consoles + holiday period would make it sell more but I feel like it'd be the opposite.

Hedja

I don't get it, he wants people to continue supporting the game because it's not the developer's fault? That's just silly. The "guys on top" need to be shown they're wrong, otherwise they'll be happy to know their unnecessary overtime and disappointment will continue. How else will the consumers show their frustration other than voting with their wallets? Seems like they're just taking themselves hostage here, like they're saying "Buy our game or we'll be sad!" or something.

I personally don't even like Rayman, but the game was shown off as thee third-party exclusive soon to be available after launch. Now, for the sake of a multiplatform release they've delayed and delayed it to almost a year after the WiiU's launch. I'd be pretty pissed too if I wanted the game, especially knowing that it's just being held back for non-development reasons. Not to mention there's a clear lack of games at the moment for the WiiU which would've helped sales... oh and isn't GTAV and Wind Waker HD coming out around September too? This game will probably be sidelined now and not just because of delays.

jeremy1456

be tough to find out. Its launch month it only sold like 50k copies in the US across 3 platforms

It would not surprise me if the Vita version sold reasonably close to the other versions considering the fact that it came out at launch.

You're delusional if you think this game would have sold any better in February.

This game absolutely would have sold on Wii U better in Feb then in Sept. Now, would it have sold better on Wii U in Feb vs Multi-plat, who knows but probably not. That said, it would have been best for them to release the Wii U version now, since it's ready, and then release it for PS360 users in Sept.

Bottom line is the way Ubisoft has handled this is down right scummy. Even the Dev are upset over the way it's been handled.

Linkhero1

I *think* I saw something that implied that Murfy was still a Wii U exclusive, which if it's the case there's not really much difficulty in just axing them.
Unless they decided it would be in their best interest to include some exclusive levels in the ps3/360 versions that the Wii U version won't get. Who knows at this point. I'm sure we'll eventually get some conclusive information soon.

Scum

it's cool more people will get a shot at this game, but ubisoft management sucks. they should have made this multiplatform from day one.

Damn right. But no. "Let's wait 3-4 weeks before the game is ready to release to sort out our stupid mistake." Gah!

Proxy

Do have to wonder (however baseless it may be) whether any of this was influenced by the incoming Sony/PS4 reveal. Can imagine a Wii U game releasing in that time frame might be completely steamrolled in news/exposure.

I guess it could be it could possibly be a launch title for PS4/720... Maybe. It would be potentially be only a month or two out.

Megatron

I don't understand people wanting to boycott the game. It's still going to be a great game. What if the 360 version and ps3 version get online co-op?

Honestly anyone who says they're boycotting this either was never going to buy it, or will have changed their minds by September.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Glad the dev's spoke out on this. Nice to see things have pretty much stayed the same surface layer transparent bullshit at Ubi.

This game absolutely would have sold on Wii U better in Feb then in Sept. Now, would it have sold better on Wii U in Feb vs Multi-plat, who knows but probably not. That said, it would have been best for them to release the Wii U version now, since it's ready, and then release it for PS360 users in Sept.

Bottom line is the way Ubisoft has handled this is down right scummy. Even the Dev are upset over the way it's been handled.

I really don't blame anyone for being mad about this. I would be as well.

But as a business decision, I can understand where they are coming from. It just could have been handled a lot better. I am sure they didn't decide to do this just yesterday.

it is a loose-loose scenario for the gamers.

1- buy the game anyway in September. Ubisoft looks at the sales and concludes it was a wise decision to hold the WiiU version to go multi.

2- boycott the game. Ubisoft looks at the poor sales and concludes that if the numbers are bad this way imagine it much worse in just one plataforma. Conclusion Rayman does not sell, cancel any future Project.

Effect

I feel bad for the devs that worked on the game but I will have no time or money for the game come September even if I was still willing to buy it day one which I'm not. I'm not going to postpone buying the Wind Waker remake, or a 3D Mario or Mario Kart, or any other Nintendo or Wii U game that might drop at that time for Rayman. I was prepared to get it at launch and then in Feb or March. When this finally comes the time will have passed and unless Ubisoft does something that makes up for this I might not even be willing to buy it used or really cheap. I just won't be willing to make time for the game. I'm not tolerating actions like this.

Flakster99

By no means am I pissed that the game is going to other systems, this just sucks on many other levels. Where is the sense.

There is a severe drought of games, nevermind quality games, for the Wii U, and a game that has been heavily, heavily advertized for the Wii U and is soon to be released is now shelved for 7+ months so it can be released in a much more crowded market, on other consoles to boot. Here is an example which thankfully did not happen. Oblivion, which was released in April '07, was delayed in favor of a September, multi-platform release instead.

Oblivion practically carried the 360 during a time when the console needed quality games. Much like the Wii U needs these types of games now. This type of move only hurts, stunts the growth of the Wii U.

EDarkness

I don't understand people wanting to boycott the game. It's still going to be a great game. What if the 360 version and ps3 version get online co-op?

Honestly anyone who says they're boycotting this either was never going to buy it, or will have changed their minds by September.

Wait, what do the PS3 and 360 have to do with this?

Either way, I had the game pre-ordered, but canceled it this morning. No point in bothering. I they don't want my money, I'll give it to someone else.

GrayFoxPL

Basically this. I'd like to support the devs and buy the game for the system it was intended...but the suits in the business really piss me off. I want this game, was looking forward to it, it's an absolute visual stunner...now I'm divided...

Yeah. I know this feeling. I'd say buy it anyway. They're just gonna lose their jobs if it doesn't sell, and corporations never learn "lessons", they just blame some poor fools and fire them.

I'm not boycotting the game, but I won't be buying it. I have Nintendo's fall titles as well as GTA V to buy. For February and March, my games to purchase are Fire Emblem and that's it.

Top Bottom