• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Watchmen’ HBO Adaptation From Damon Lindelof Officially A Go With Pilot

Truant

After Alien Covenant I'm not so sure what to think of Lindelof anymore. I'm starting to think the stories of a naked Ridley Scott with a sword in a castle (look it up) dictating the plot of Prometheus.

Slayven

Yeah, because Moore was so subtle.

I mean, the owlship ejaculating fire during a sex-scene was his idea.

Here is a hot take. I think Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns are 2 of the most overrated comics ever. Nether one holds up well enough to be truly a classic.

These didn't help

beforewatchmen.png

Here is a hot take. I think Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns are 2 of the most overrated comics ever. Nether one holds up well enough to be truly a classic.

These didn't help

after reading watchmen like six times to see if it would finally click, i would agree. i still really like watchmen but i don't think i understand the fervor

also, fuck the movie ending

Flavius

These didn't help

Scorching.

That seems like a pretty easy thing to say, though. There's still such an overwhelming abundance of shit in comics that anything good to great is undoubtedly going to be placed on a pedestal.

Both of those series are really, really good examples of storytelling in the medium, though. And I disagree that they aren't classics. Sure, you appreciate them more if you grew up in the 80s. But it isn't as though either story demands the reader to have lived through Reaganomics, or understand just how shitty and dangerous parts of NYC were back in the day.

EDIT:

i like Batman Year One more than TDKR and Watchmen

...all 3 are really damn good though. classics.

Can't argue that. I'm not sure if I enjoy it more, but I really like it...and as a classic Batman tale, I think it's a lot easier to appreciate.

night814

Very excited for this. After seemingly a decade of "we are thinking about it" I'll be glad to finally see what TV Watchmen is like. Not a huge fan of the movie but I enjoy the book.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I said it before: if you're gonna translate Watchmen to another medium, TV is the best choice... and HBO is probably the best channel.

In my amateurish opinion, it needs to be an adaptation that does its own thing, rather than an attempted recreation (with baffling fucking changes) to work.

Hopefully, he can capture the spirit of the book and do it some kind of justice, unlike bloody Snyder.

Spoilers for the series finale

Hell no.

These didn't help

Sorry Slay. I liked 2 of those books.
Is it bad that I actually like Watchmen and Sucker Punch? Like, way more than BvS or MoS.
Liking Watchmen is not controversial. Liking Sucker Punch is something you keep to yourself.

RDreamer

Could be interesting. Watchmen is an amazing graphic novel. One of the best in existence. The Watchmen movie is also one of the best comic book movies ever made. Maybe this'll be one of the best comic book shows ever created, too. Here's hoping.

Koyuga

As much as I love Synders film (its quite a lot) a TV series format would be a way better fit for Watchmen. I don't like Lindelof, but I'll stay optimistic until I see something.

These didn't help

Watchmen is really, really, really fucking good and did a lot for cape comics at the time, but I agree that it absolutely is overrated. It was ahead of it's time, but the times caught up long ago. Still fuckin great though.

Where did i say i never read them?

I know you read them, that was my point. You had to in order to evaluate their importance both to the medium and to you personally. I was referring to ElBoxyBrown's statement that "you don't need to read them". Sorry that wasn't made clear.

I know you read them, that was my point. You had to in order to evaluate their importance both to the medium and to you personally. I was referring to ElBoxyBrown's statement that "you don't need to read them". Sorry that wasn't made clear.

Honestly you hear so much about Watchmen and it's themes that at some point your either interested or your not, and that's cool. I don't think the new generation of comic readers need to read it. They got their own stuff that purposefully doesn't try to go the Watchmen route that plagued so many books after it came out. It's never great to read something, finish it, and arrive to the conclusion that you didn't enjoy it despite it's legendary status.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
They got their own stuff that purposefully doesn't try to go the Watchmen route that plagued so many books after it came out.

I get where you're coming from, but I'd argue those books didn't actually go the 'Watchmen route' and took all the wrong lessons. In that sense, the OG book still has a lot of value.

For instance, outside of Morrison's awesome parody, I can't think of... well, any other comic books that played with structure the same way Watchmen did. If there was, I'd genuinely love to read them! :)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll give it a shot but let's just say I'm mighty curious how a writer and show runner like him is going to handle an already established story and set of characters. He is not exactly known for his well thought out plot lines and tends to run along the "magic box" style show creation.

I get where you're coming from, but I'd argue those books didn't actually go the 'Watchmen route' and took all the wrong lessons. In that sense, the OG book still has a lot of value.

For instance, outside of Morrison's awesome parody, I can't think of... well, any other comic books that played with structure the same way Watchmen did. If there was, I'd genuinely love to read them! :)

It's cuz they're mostly bad. lol

Maybe The Authority by Ellis but there isn't much. And Morrison does Morrison.

Top Bottom