• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Justice League' screening held, reactions

TI82

Banned
Oh wow, if they screwed up Batman this may review as bad as BVS. We finally got good Batman in the dark Knight series and then they go back to goofy... Yikes

ZeoVGM

Banned
I’m ready for when Thor grosses 2 billion domestic

I previously would have said Thor would definitely be more successful worldwide than Justice League but I think the reaction to Wonder Woman is going to help push JL over the top.

I expect the marketing to (naturally) push her more than any other character.

I
Problems:
People are going to hate Batman. The movie leans on Batman for the comedic parts and it's awkward. There is a moment (and I haven't been told what this moment is) that channels the Adam West Batman. If it stays in the film, Affleck will probably regret accept the role and some feel, would sink the film. There is a lot of pull to leave it in because of Adam West's passing. There is hope it will be cut and they will do a dedication credit instead. Even with that moment removed, his moments in the film aren't good.
This... this sounds appealing.

What the fuck is wrong with me
if I made the film I legitimately would make that the after credits scene. right after it says in memory of Adam West.

fans can't be mad or that makes them assholes.
I want this

Busty

Banned
Well, at least with Thor 3 we have good reason to have faith in those reactions being good. We don't with JL.

But yes, FAN reactions aren't the best measurement.

While Marvel have yet to produce a true stinker there's a first time for everything and I wouldn't take anything for granted in this biz.

Exhibit A, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

TI82

Banned
While Marvel have yet to produce a true stinker there's a first time for everything and I wouldn't take anything for granted in this biz.

Counterpoint: Taika Waititi is a superb director

Blader

I don't know, I think Taika is a pretty promising filmmaker. If we're hedging bets on what Marvel's 'true stinker' will be, Thor 3 seems like one of the least likely options to me.

cHaotix8

Any announcements on when the next screenings will be? I'd like to hear what some real critics think.

Really not expecting much out of this project from WB, even though WW was a pleasant surprise. Sucks to hear Batman's portrayal is rumored to be sub-par and comic relief. That's not his shtick. Maybe I'll finally get to enjoy Supes on the big screen?

This was a great episode. I miss JL/JLU. :(

Busty

Banned
Counterpoint: Taika Waititi is a superb director

And Steven Spielberg isn't?

I don't know, I think Taika is a pretty promising filmmaker. If we're hedging bets on what Marvel's 'true stinker' will be, Thor 3 seems like one of the least likely options to me.

Based on what? Three trailers?

Thor 3 could be great, all I'm saying is never count your chickens.

jett

D-Member

Mahvel has made plenty of trash.

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor 2
And Captain America as far as I'm concerned although some people here seem to like it.

TI82

Banned

Spielberg had some stinkers by Indiana jones and the crystal shit. Taika has yet to have any bad films so far so... Not an apt comparison

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Based on Eagle v Shark, Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and the multiple great trailers.

Busty

Banned

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor 2
And Captain America as far as I'm concerned although some people here seem to like it.

I actually like Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 but I agree on Captain America, a solid first twenty minutes and then trash from there on in.

Don't you tell me what my chickens could or could not do

If you actually looked after your chickens they wouldn't be running all over the damn neighbour all times of the day and night.

That's right...., I said it!

Yeah, I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. The reactions that say its amazing are probably hyperbole anyway. If it is amazing though, I'll be very pleased, but for now, nah.

Oh yeah, it's 100% inevitable. There's going to be tons of misattributions, because people love playing the "guess who did what" game despite damn near invariably being awful at it.

See: A.I.

To a lesser extent we'll see it with Han Solo as well.

A.I. was entirely Spielberg. Kubrick never filmed anything, in fact he recommended Spielberg for the film in 1999. Spielberg just took some of his script notes, that's not the same thing.

Busty

Banned
Based on Eagle v Shark, Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople and the multiple great trailers.

Not a guarantee.

I'm not saying that he isn't talented, I'm saying that despite some good trailers there is literally no guarantee that Thor 3 will be a good film at this point.

It could be great. It could be awful.

Who knows?!

Spielberg had some stinkers by Indiana jones and the crystal shit. Taika has yet to have any bad films so far so... Not an apt comparison

I'm not even dignifying this with a proper response.

If you actually looked after your chickens they wouldn't be running all over the damn neighbour all times of the day and night.

That's right...., I said it!
xWRwe.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not a guarantee.

I'm not saying that he isn't talented, I'm saying that despite some good trailers there is literally no guarantee that Thor 3 will be a good film at this point.

It could be great. It could be awful.

Who knows?!
Nothing is guaranteed but you asked based on what and people think Thor 3 will be great based on that fact that Taiki Waititi has yet to make a stinker and the trailers look like he is going to deliver for the 5th time.

TI82

Banned
I've been more optimistic with Joss Whedon on-board. Maybe he was able to save it.

It's funny because when BVS came out, DC fanboys praised how it didn't have the jokey dialog of the MCU that whedon brought in. Now he's heading the DCEU for now, will be funny to see the flip flopping

Blader

Based on the director's track record.

Like, Black Panther could be an awful movie, there's no guarantee it'll be good. There's no guarantee that any movie will ever be good! But given that it's directed by Ryan Coogler, BP would not be my #1 answer if asked "which film is finally going to be Marvel's big failure?"

that's a trick question too, as Incredible Hulk already bomba'd

killroy87

Meh. A super early public screening of a very highly anticipated movie is not the place you're going to get level-headed reactions. They were all just excited to be there.

overcast

Jesus this movie is gonna be a mess reading that impression posted on the last page.

The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Thor 2
Throw in IM3 for me and you're on the money.

TI82

Banned
Wasn't there a WW "screening leak" that came out months before the movie saying how bad and messy it was?

Well, the last probably 1/4 of the film was garbage so those early screenings are used to try and fix things. They fixed most of the movie so it's not unreasonable to say that the movie was really bad at first.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Well, the last probably 1/4 of the film was garbage so those early screenings are used to try and fix things. They fixed most of the movie so it's not unreasonable to say that the movie was really bad at first.

Except there were scenes in which people saw descriptions and went "WHAT THE FUCK" to in this board. By the time the movie comes out and the scene plays out exactly as described, everyone is fine with it.

Boke1879

Except there were scenes in which people saw descriptions and went "WHAT THE FUCK" to in this board. By the time the movie comes out and the scene plays out exactly as described, everyone is fine with it.

Hyperbole is a HELL of thing. I rarely take an individual's written description on things too seriously. There's too much nuance that you don't see.

I remember a reviewers or someone who saw the movie early said the 3rd act in WW was catastrophic or something like that. It turned out it wasn't even that bad.

I have friends in the industry that do practical special effects / makeup, they heard from someone they trust, take with salt and going on third hand here blah blah blah. This isn't from the test screening but it should be close.

The movie in its current state is a mess and not that great. Its serviceable but only just. If you like big dumb action films and let them slide when it comes to plot, you will be ok.

Positive Comments:
They nailed Superman's tone in a way they haven't live action since 1980s Superman II. There is way too little superman in the film but that might be fore the best. (the right amount of a good thing) Aquaman is really good. Wonder Woman has a few great moments but is mostly in the background. Parts of the new soundtrack are great.

Neutral:
The Flash isn't as good as the TV show version but it might come down to the movie is too busy for the character to develop. Same with Cyborg.

Problems:
People are going to hate Batman. The movie leans on Batman for the comedic parts and it's awkward. There is a moment (and I haven't been told what this moment is) that channels the Adam West Batman. If it stays in the film, Affleck will probably regret accept the role and some feel, would sink the film. There is a lot of pull to leave it in because of Adam West's passing. There is hope it will be cut and they will do a dedication credit instead. Even with that moment removed, his moments in the film aren't good.

Coming from special effect people, they feel the effects could have been so much better. There was too much time when money was spent and nobody was in charge of the film and it's too late to fix. Most of the concerns come from the villains.

Going to walk out if that nanananana moment is in this movie.

Seriously, I would be ok with it too. I have no idea what it is though. In my head I imagine him calling someone old chum while lecturing them on a civics lesson.

There was a leak yesterday that involved Flash singing the title melody or humming, I forget.

You shouldn't. They probably saw from the massive success of Wonder Woman that people like superheroes that are superheroes, coherent to their schtick, and probably went back to the drawing board for Justice League. I'm not expecting any grimdark bullshit like the previous two movies.

By the time WW was released JL was all but ready. Sure they did some reshoots and whatnot but there wasnt nearly as much time to react after WW's positive reaction as you think it might've been.

TI82

Banned
Hyperbole is a HELL of thing. I rarely take an individual's written description on things too seriously. There's too much nuance that you don't see.

I remember a reviewers or someone who saw the movie early said the 3rd act in WW was catastrophic or something like that. It turned out it wasn't even that bad.

The last Third is pretty bad man, not enough to ruin the movie but it's really in Stark contrast to the rest of the good movie

Top Bottom