• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Publix |OT| Where subs are a pleasure

Tobor

We just got Publix here in central VA. Pretty good!

Subs are great, but maybe a little over rated to me.

I will say this though, the fried chicken and chicken tenders are for real.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I only remember Publix from when I lived in Wellington, FL for two years as a young child. It was either that or Winn Dixie for our grocery needs. There used to be so many more sample tables back in those days, and I'd always try to get whatever they were offering. For some reason one memory I have of the place was this little scratch-off game they did for football season. I don't remember the prizes or how the game worked, just that I never won anything.

pizzacat

Banned
my mom worked for their deli when I was still in there

i think thtas where i first acquired the taste of their subs

FiggyCal

Banned
Never been there but I have a friend who lives in Florida and she is always bringing it up, and rubbing in the fact that I've never been there.

Is it really all that people say it is?

It really is like the perfect grocery store. It's one of the few things I missed about Florida when I moved to New York.

IrishNinja

Yes, build your own six pack, or just choose singles (all room temp at my Public tho)

say whaaaaaaat
time to start experimenting, ive been trying to replace yeungling since finding out their CEO is a jerk, this is news i can use

Literally the only good thing about Florida.

i mean
i'm not a club guy so much, but the beaches & women out here are really great
where in FL did you see stumps?

teraMEL0S

Obviously Pub Subs (especially chicken tender, either wrap or sub) are superb. Their southern style potato salad is also so good.

mackattk

Sometimes I'll walk into a Publix with a specific sub in mind, but then they're selling a whole for $5, so I get that instead. Amazing. Fantastic.

Sometimes they have it for sale for $4.99 and a $1 off coupon for buying a combo. Ends up being right at $6 for a lunch than can easily last two days.

phanphare

Banned
ultimate and italian subs > chicken tender sub

love publix. the only thing that annoys me is how invasive the workers are. I'm fucking grocery shopping, leave me alone. if I have a question I'll come find yall.

hydruxo

Haven't had a chicken tender sub in a minute. Might need to pick one up this week. I like their philly cheesesteaks too but they're messy as hell lol.

Viewt

Never been there but I have a friend who lives in Florida and she is always bringing it up, and rubbing in the fact that I've never been there.

Is it really all that people say it is?

The quality of a Publix varies WILDLY depending on the neighborhood. But they have an absolute monopoly on the grocery game in Florida and some of the broader Southeast. If you're going to a good Publix, though, you're getting a great grocer experience. Great selection and great stuff made in-house. The best ones are probably a lot like the upscale grocery stores in your town/city.

Zackat

We just got Publix here in central VA. Pretty good!

Subs are great, but maybe a little over rated to me.

I will say this though, the fried chicken and chicken tenders are for real.
Yep. The fried chicken is the best. Good prices too.

ced

Publix turkey with cheddar on their white bread is pretty glorious.

That chicken tender sub is good too.

Kyrios

Go for the emergency water, stay for the chicken tender sub
090355-600x600-A.jpg

OH MY GOD. That looks amazing!

IrishNinja

love publix. the only thing that annoys me is how invasive the workers are. I'm fucking grocery shopping, leave me alone. if I have a question I'll come find yall.

yeah, they just reopened one out here & you can tell it's the training now too, like every aisle the poor employees are arranging stuff & feel compelled to ask if i need help like i might be today's secret shopper, haha

The quality of a Publix varies WILDLY depending on the neighborhood.

this is absolutely true as well, for both size of the store, service and lots of stuff

Yes, build your own six pack, or just choose singles (all room temp at my Public tho)

Damn, our publix has them all chilled.

wait what now
i know the meat dept lets you do shit like this, but beer too..?

Yea bruh, it's my favorite thing about Publix. Go to your beer section and you'll see the 6 pack cardboard holder (usually on the end of the isle), you can grab any six singles that are available.

Azure J

This thread is magical. I'm a New York City native but Publix is such a strong component of our family life that whenever we've gone to Flawida visiting our aunts in all the time we've visited them (Gainesville, Lakeland, Orlando and finally Ocala), we both begin the trip and end it with a trip to Publix for subs and chicken.

Chicken tender sub with banana and green peppers, swiss cheese, all on lightly toasted white bread = actual GOAT combination, don't at me.

FiggyCal

Banned
Damn, our publix has them all chilled.

Yea bruh, it's my favorite thing about Publix. Go to your beer section and you'll see the 6 pack cardboard holder (usually on the end of the isle), you can grab any six singles that are available.

Wow. They just keep getting better and better.

Ponn

Banned
I had reminded myself in the other thread that its almost time for Publix to start stocking their special fall ice creams. Publix ice cream is the bomb but their fall flavors are something else.

This is the shit right here. Pumpkin ice cream, the right spices and little pie pieces in it. If you have guests pop a dollop of whipped cream on top with some cinnamon or nutmeg sprinkle.

I also have tried this and like it for pretty much the same reasons.

Wood Man

Got a Boars Head Italian sub from them a few days ago. So good.

I go online to place my order ahead of time so it's done when I get there. When it asks for a name I always put one of the names from MST3K Space Mutiny. The other day I was Blast Hardcheese.

IrishNinja

little bummed that the publixes up this way don't wanna toast my sub if its got mayo cause health stuff...like cmon man, if i get sick i won't blame y'all, it's cool

well shit, i have a new hobby now

I once heard from an employee that you can return pretty much anything and get a gift card of its equivalent value. Even a half-eaten chicken.

Better chicken, better rolls, better ribeye steak, better water...I could go on.

Their salsa and cheese sticks, as well as the milk are as good, or better than the national brands.

Their pizza dough is super consistent too. 11 min in a pre-heated 400° oven. Every time. How do they do it!?

Fun Fact: Publix will generally put anything you want on the sub as long as they sell it in the deli section. For example, if I want hummus, they'll bust open a hummus from the deli section to put on my sub. This might be YMMV and I assume it's limited to Publix branded stuff, but that's been my experience.

I wonder what "secret" sauces they offer. I know of chipotle, sub dressing, and pepperhouse. All are the GOAT.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Like several others have said, Publix is one of the few things I miss since I moved out of Florida. I have to remember to stop by for a sub next time I go home.

Also, completely unsurprised to see IrishNinja as the TC.

Enjoy your fine grocer and stay safe this weekend PublixGAF.

Wow. They just keep getting better and better.

It's great man, and because it's low priced you don't feel bad for experiments and grabbing a beer or two that you ultimately didn't like.

Also check the sunday papers, they sometimes do coupons/discounts on the a la carte beer thing.

well shit, i have a new hobby now

It's life changing man, I've tried soooo many more beers because of Publix.

Top Bottom