• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Karl Pilkington to write and star in new sitcom

Slowdive

Banned
Karl Pilkington is to star as a version of himself in Sick Of It, a new sitcom series for Sky 1.

The channel explains: "Sick Of It is a scripted comedy series that sees Karl Pilkington takes on two roles - himself, and the voice inside his head, as he muddles through the mundane life he may have led if he hadn't met Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant."

Karl Pilkington: Sick Of It will follow the character of Karl, a middle-aged man recently ditched by his long-term girlfriend, as he muddles through life and attempts to make sense of the modern world.

Now living with his elderly auntie, Karl's closest companion is the voice in his head, a crotchety, misanthropic alter ego who takes the form of his doppelgänger - it's the uncensored true version of Karl that says what he really thinks without the risk of offending others.

As Karl attempts to move on from the break up and sort out his life, the voice in his head appears periodically to guide, criticise and dispense his unorthodox philosophy of life.

Karl Pilkington says: "For most people the inner self is there to help make decisions but mine mainly confuses me and pushes me in the wrong direction. I'd say that doing this series was inner self's idea. I've only just realised that I'm playing myself twice but only being paid once. Like I say, my inner self doesn't really look out for me."

The sitcom has been written by Pilkington and director Richard Yee and is being produced by the team behind his hit travel shows An Idiot Abroad and The Moaning Of Life.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2784/karl_pilkington_sitcom/

Really looking forward to this!

Oberon

Banned
Weird innit?
I don't know how well this will work without Ricky and Stephens reactions to Karls shenanigans.

Jerry

Cant be worse than Derek at least.

Sky sitcoms have their own strange feel that's never sat right with me. It's like they've all been touched by 1 too many producers, hope this one comes out well though.

Auctopus

This doesn't sound good. They're forcing what makes the podcasts funny. In fact, I bet several of the sketches will just be stories that were lifted from the podcasts but acted out.

Cronen

Didn't he stop doing Derek because he was too nervous and struggled with the acting? Seems strange to then have him do his own sitcom. I guess maybe he feels a bit more confident now.

As many have said, I would love for the trio to do more podcasts. I feel that in hindsight the Moaning of Life series was alright, but it definitely suffered by not having Gervais and Merchant's involvement. Same could be said of An Idiot Abroad 3 not having Merchant.

Lagamorph

Hopefully Ricky Gervais doesn't pop up and ruin everything every 10 minutes.
The further away that cunt is from, well, anything, the better.

Shadio

I wish he'd go back into radio with Ricky and Steve. The radio shows always felt so much more genuine and less mean-spirited than the podcasts, like it was just three mates in the pub having a chat.

But I wonder what people who aren't already familiar with Karl will make of this.

Cant be worse than Derek at least.

Sky sitcoms have their own strange feel that's never sat right with me. It's like they've all been touched by 1 too many producers, hope this one comes out well though.

Sky drama is the same. Always seems interesting. Decent cast. Intriguing set up. But you watch and...shite.

Pilkington wrote his own sitcom? This is stupid. Either its a sham and other people helped him write it, or its going to be stupid and unwatchable. There is no middle room.

Either way this sounds horrible. A deep dive into Pilkington like a Maron or Louie type show? Sounds like a bad Funny or Die sketch.

Tambini

Karl Pilkington says: "For most people the inner self is there to help make decisions but mine mainly confuses me and pushes me in the wrong direction. I'd say that doing this series was inner self's idea. I've only just realised that I'm playing myself twice but only being paid once. Like I say, my inner self doesn't really look out for me."

Lmao why you lot so cyncial? It's the K man!

Falcs

Banned
Damn, I don't know how I feel about this..
On one hand, I love Karl and will definitely watch it. But on the other hand... Scripted Karl... I don't know... The reason he's so damn funny is because he's unscripted.

I wish Ricky and Steve were involved too.

Top Bottom